Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
tkolax
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby tkolax » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:30 pm

i just wanted to drop by and say whats up to everyone. i just got into IU-B yesterday and now i am really strongly considering it. the only reason i applied was because they gave me a fee wavier and now that i'm acceppted, i'm thinking about going there. i'm leaning towards IU-B but i'm still thinking about going to Oklahoma Law because this is where i did my undergrad, and OU is giving me more money. However IU-B is ranked so much higher that it is hard to not consider it

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm writing this on my iPod, so I can't post pictures yet, but I just wanted to say that I had a great time at IU this weekend. I looked at a couple apartments, wanderedaround town for a while, and toured campus and the law school. I was completely reassured about everything. I will tell moe details and post pictures when I get back.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Here they are - my pictures from my trip to Bloomington. I don't have the pics from inside the LS for some reason, but I'll try to get those up here soon.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
This one was only taken because my fiancee thought he looked weird.
Image
Image
Image

There are a lot more, but most of the others are either of apartments I looked at or have members of my party in them.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Like I said earlier, I visited IUB a couple years ago (although, for nonacademic reasons) and I really liked the campus.

Halibut, how connected did you feel the law school was to the rest of the campus? It is kind of on the outskirts, right in the heart, or somewhere else?

Sg017
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Sg017 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I grew up in Btown so if you have any questions about locations I'd be happy to help

Traehekat the law school is located at the "start" of campus, about a block from the Sample Gates. This is the edge of the campus, but it is on the edge that is between the campus and the downtown area (block or two to Kirkwood which is where there are a lot of bars/restaurants) making it very centrally located in its own respect.

Great pictures by the way, I was back home for the Super Bowl and love it as much as ever. The campus is gorgeous in the Spring I really suggest visiting once the weather heats up a bit.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Sg017 wrote:I grew up in Btown so if you have any questions about locations I'd be happy to help

Traehekat the law school is located at the "start" of campus, about a block from the Sample Gates. This is the edge of the campus, but it is on the edge that is between the campus and the downtown area (block or two to Kirkwood which is where there are a lot of bars/restaurants) making it very centrally located in its own respect.

Great pictures by the way, I was back home for the Super Bowl and love it as much as ever. The campus is gorgeous in the Spring I really suggest visiting once the weather heats up a bit.


Nice, that definitely is like, an ideal location.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby superflush » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Here they are - my pictures from my trip to Bloomington. I don't have the pics from inside the LS for some reason, but I'll try to get those up here soon.


Ah, cool, with snow. When I visited last year there was no snow.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah, like someone else said, the law school is right on the SW edge of campus, but is right next to everywhere you would want to go. I would imagine the two main non-law buildings that law students go to are the HPER and the Indiana Memorial Union, both of which are also in the SW quadrant. It's right next to Kirkwood, which is where Nick's (the LS hangout) and a bunch of other restaurants and bars are, as well as a little shopping. The county courthouse is also only about six blocks west of the law school.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for the photos Halibut! I looks lovely.

I don't know what I'm doing right now... :|

pieceofbeth
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby pieceofbeth » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi guys! I'm probably headed to IU in the fall as well and I'm very excited- going to check out the school first weekend in March!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:13 pm

pieceofbeth wrote:Hi guys! I'm probably headed to IU in the fall as well and I'm very excited- going to check out the school first weekend in March!


Pieceofberth! I have been secretly following you on LSN haha. Congrats on IUB, we have similar numbers so I am hoping for the same result. Have you tried negotiating your scholarship to see if they will match the 60k you received from Penn State?

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Zapatero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:18 pm

traehekat wrote:
pieceofbeth wrote:Hi guys! I'm probably headed to IU in the fall as well and I'm very excited- going to check out the school first weekend in March!


Pieceofberth! I have been secretly following you on LSN haha. Congrats on IUB, we have similar numbers so I am hoping for the same result. Have you tried negotiating your scholarship to see if they will match the 60k you received from Penn State?


No offense to PSU, but I doubt IUB would be down to get down. I guess it's worth a try, though.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:31 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
pieceofbeth wrote:Hi guys! I'm probably headed to IU in the fall as well and I'm very excited- going to check out the school first weekend in March!


Pieceofberth! I have been secretly following you on LSN haha. Congrats on IUB, we have similar numbers so I am hoping for the same result. Have you tried negotiating your scholarship to see if they will match the 60k you received from Penn State?


No offense to PSU, but I doubt IUB would be down to get down. I guess it's worth a try, though.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106115

According to a number of people in that thread IUB is likely to match a scholarship from DePaul for 60k, so I don't see why they wouldn't be likely to do the same for a scholarship from Penn State.

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Zapatero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:42 pm

traehekat wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
pieceofbeth wrote:Hi guys! I'm probably headed to IU in the fall as well and I'm very excited- going to check out the school first weekend in March!


Pieceofberth! I have been secretly following you on LSN haha. Congrats on IUB, we have similar numbers so I am hoping for the same result. Have you tried negotiating your scholarship to see if they will match the 60k you received from Penn State?


No offense to PSU, but I doubt IUB would be down to get down. I guess it's worth a try, though.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106115

According to a number of people in that thread IUB is likely to match a scholarship from DePaul for 60k, so I don't see why they wouldn't be likely to do the same for a scholarship from Penn State.


Very interesting. That would make my decision much easier. Thanks for the heads up.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 pm

I realize most of you aren't quite at the decision point, but I've put down a deposit for a 2BR/2.5BA apartment in Bloomington. I am looking for a roommate for said apartment. Rent should be about $500 plus utilities (probably looking at about $550-575).

The building is about a 7-minute drive to the law school, or if you don't have a car, there is a bus stop right outside the complex (15-minute bus ride). I plan on getting a dog eventually, but will not have one right away.

This place was one of the nicest I saw in Bloomington. I took a full tour and talked with several current residents of the complex, and got all good reviews. The place is in a great, crime-free area south of the law school. If you are interested in this, feel free to PM me.

link to apartment (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I realize most of you aren't quite at the decision point, but I've put down a deposit for a 2BR/2.5BA apartment in Bloomington. I am looking for a roommate for said apartment. Rent should be about $500 plus utilities (probably looking at about $550-575).

The building is about a 7-minute drive to the law school, or if you don't have a car, there is a bus stop right outside the complex (15-minute bus ride). I plan on getting a dog eventually, but will not have one right away.

This place was one of the nicest I saw in Bloomington. I took a full tour and talked with several current residents of the complex, and got all good reviews. The place is in a great, crime-free area south of the law school. If you are interested in this, feel free to PM me.

link to apartment (LinkRemoved)


Thanks for sharing the pics Halibut. The apartment looks awesome! I can't believe you can get 1200+ sq. ft. for that price.

pieceofbeth
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby pieceofbeth » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Haha- following me because you have similar numbers?

I actually hadn't considered asking- but I guess it's worth a try right?

pieceofbeth
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby pieceofbeth » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Also traehekat- when did you apply? Good luck! I'm actually going to OSU admitted students weekend (congrats) the same weekend I'm going to Bloomington- I want them to give out scholarship info!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:30 am

pieceofbeth wrote:Also traehekat- when did you apply? Good luck! I'm actually going to OSU admitted students weekend (congrats) the same weekend I'm going to Bloomington- I want them to give out scholarship info!


Thanks, I applied to IUB 1/3. I will probably try to make my way out to the OSU admitted students weekend. I definitely want to chuck out the campus, facilities, and the Columbus area (I have been a few times but I haven't been able to see a lot, although what I have seen has been nice).

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby sleepygirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 am

RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I realize most of you aren't quite at the decision point, but I've put down a deposit for a 2BR/2.5BA apartment in Bloomington. I am looking for a roommate for said apartment. Rent should be about $500 plus utilities (probably looking at about $550-575).

The building is about a 7-minute drive to the law school, or if you don't have a car, there is a bus stop right outside the complex (15-minute bus ride). I plan on getting a dog eventually, but will not have one right away.

This place was one of the nicest I saw in Bloomington. I took a full tour and talked with several current residents of the complex, and got all good reviews. The place is in a great, crime-free area south of the law school. If you are interested in this, feel free to PM me.

link to apartment (LinkRemoved)


Thanks for sharing the pics Halibut. The apartment looks awesome! I can't believe you can get 1200+ sq. ft. for that price.


Apartments are CRAAAAAAAAAAZY cheap in Bloomington!!

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 am

sleepygirl wrote:Apartments are CRAAAAAAAAAAZY cheap in Bloomington!!


That's what I'm saying!

PS: I read this before the gym this morning and it's nice to know I'm not the only one on the IU thread at 6am.

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby sleepygirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:47 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:Apartments are CRAAAAAAAAAAZY cheap in Bloomington!!


That's what I'm saying!

PS: I read this before the gym this morning and it's nice to know I'm not the only one on the IU thread at 6am.


Ooooo, BUSTED! I knew as soon as I hit "Submit" that someone was going to call me on that. :oops:

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:35 pm

sleepygirl wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:Apartments are CRAAAAAAAAAAZY cheap in Bloomington!!


That's what I'm saying!

PS: I read this before the gym this morning and it's nice to know I'm not the only one on the IU thread at 6am.


Ooooo, BUSTED! I knew as soon as I hit "Submit" that someone was going to call me on that. :oops:


Had to out myself to do it. :oops: I check TLS right after woot and roughly the same time as gmail and facebook. In my defense, I feed the cats and have a protein shake before any of that!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Wake up in the morning [strike]feeling like P Diddy[/strike], check TLS.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Postby RMstratosphere » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:59 pm

traehekat wrote:Wake up in the morning [strike]feeling like P Diddy[/strike], check TLS.


Ha!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests