Villanova 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby anthonyc350 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:31 am

.
Last edited by anthonyc350 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin3960
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby Kevin3960 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:27 am

would you mind posting your numbers?

nyred10
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby nyred10 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:00 pm

What is the career placement like in areas outside the Philly region for 1L's, specifically in NYC? I understand that Villanova's main market is Philadelphia, but how many New York firms would you say recruit from there? I'm not really interested in biglaw, just NYC-area firms in general. Thanks for taking so many questions!

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 pm

nyred10 wrote:What is the career placement like in areas outside the Philly region for 1L's, specifically in NYC? I understand that Villanova's main market is Philadelphia, but how many New York firms would you say recruit from there? I'm not really interested in biglaw, just NYC-area firms in general. Thanks for taking so many questions!

Honestly I'm not too sure, but I know that a number of firms from NY do recruit here in the fall. They're probably bigger firms, as smaller firms would have no need to go outside their general area (I'm assuming).

bucknell09
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby bucknell09 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 pm

I'll be paying for law school myself, but due to my family circumstances, I am far from "needy" of a scholarship in the classical sense. Every other school I have been accepted to offered me money in the acceptance letter. Should I apply for a scholarship from Nova? Or just wait to see if they offer me money in March?

jkc939
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jkc939 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 pm

lawbreaker wrote:Congrats! So do you think they are giving out info in waves based on acceptance dates? I was admitted 12/18 and am hoping for some $.


I was admitted 1/22 and was recently offered a 10 k/year scholarship, renewable if I maintain a 3.25. I am pretty happy about this. Villanova is a top choice of mine and I think I will be visiting a week from friday.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 am

jkc939 wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:Congrats! So do you think they are giving out info in waves based on acceptance dates? I was admitted 12/18 and am hoping for some $.


I was admitted 1/22 and was recently offered a 10 k/year scholarship, renewable if I maintain a 3.25. I am pretty happy about this. Villanova is a top choice of mine and I think I will be visiting a week from friday.


take a tour at 3pm and i'll be your tour guide 8)

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 pm

lawbreaker wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
jkc939 wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:Congrats! So do you think they are giving out info in waves based on acceptance dates? I was admitted 12/18 and am hoping for some $.


I was admitted 1/22 and was recently offered a 10 k/year scholarship, renewable if I maintain a 3.25. I am pretty happy about this. Villanova is a top choice of mine and I think I will be visiting a week from friday.


take a tour at 3pm and i'll be your tour guide 8)


If I'd like to go on your tour should I sign up in advance?

yes, just call admissions and ask for a tour on any friday at 3pm.

millieb
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby millieb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm

jkc939 wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:Congrats! So do you think they are giving out info in waves based on acceptance dates? I was admitted 12/18 and am hoping for some $.


I was admitted 1/22 and was recently offered a 10 k/year scholarship, renewable if I maintain a 3.25. I am pretty happy about this. Villanova is a top choice of mine and I think I will be visiting a week from friday.



Do you know where it says the gpa requirements? I just got an offer yesterday but the email only said that I had to remain in "good standing" and nothing about gpa. Am I missing it somewhere? Thanks!

jkc939
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jkc939 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm

millieb wrote:
jkc939 wrote:
lawbreaker wrote:Congrats! So do you think they are giving out info in waves based on acceptance dates? I was admitted 12/18 and am hoping for some $.


I was admitted 1/22 and was recently offered a 10 k/year scholarship, renewable if I maintain a 3.25. I am pretty happy about this. Villanova is a top choice of mine and I think I will be visiting a week from friday.



Do you know where it says the gpa requirements? I just got an offer yesterday but the email only said that I had to remain in "good standing" and nothing about gpa. Am I missing it somewhere? Thanks!



That's great! Mine says it right in the middle of the second paragraph, you couldn't really miss it. I assume "good standing" just means don't screw up and you get to keep your scholarship. Congrats!

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby anthonyc350 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 am

I commit and then the basketball team starts losing :cry:

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Will most likely be joining you all in the fall :D

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I know I started the thread, but I most likely won't be attending in the fall haha

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby stayway » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 pm

any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

oh and a question...

I did get some scholly but could/should I ask for some more? If I can get some more $ I'd be set on sending my deposit in...

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:46 pm

nooyyllib wrote:any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

oh and a question...

I did get some scholly but could/should I ask for some more? If I can get some more $ I'd be set on sending my deposit in...


I tried asking for more scholarship money and they weren't going for it at this point. They said maybe after the deposit deadline.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby stayway » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:50 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

oh and a question...

I did get some scholly but could/should I ask for some more? If I can get some more $ I'd be set on sending my deposit in...


I tried asking for more scholarship money and they weren't going for it at this point. They said maybe after the deposit deadline.


Oh, how did you "word" the e-mail. I feel kind of "awkward" asking for more money (although it is necessary).

should I flat out tell them I will send in the deposit if I can get some more money?

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

oh and a question...

I did get some scholly but could/should I ask for some more? If I can get some more $ I'd be set on sending my deposit in...


I tried asking for more scholarship money and they weren't going for it at this point. They said maybe after the deposit deadline.


Oh, how did you "word" the e-mail. I feel kind of "awkward" asking for more money (although it is necessary).

should I flat out tell them I will send in the deposit if I can get some more money?


I would tell them that they are your number one choice but you can't ignore cost of attendance in your decision. If you have any other offers mention those.

I know everyone on here who has tried has gotten the same email back, so good luck to you.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 pm

nooyyllib wrote:any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

you should define what "cheap" is, everyone has a different definition. two-bedroom apartments typically go for around $1150.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Just sent an email asking about the possibility of merit aid (didn't receive any initially). I think I have some decent bargaining chips and I wrote a pretty solid email. Hopefully they bite, it would make my decision infinitely easier if I could bring down the COA down some.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby stayway » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just sent an email asking about the possibility of merit aid (didn't receive any initially). I think I have some decent bargaining chips and I wrote a pretty solid email. Hopefully they bite, it would make my decision infinitely easier if I could bring down the COA down some.


Yeah i emailed and got a 15k scholly renewable only with good standing. Going to e-mail Feona once more to see if I could get a little more. The whole private school thing is going to destroy me with debt if I plan on going to Nova.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:53 pm

That's awesome to know, because we have pretty similar stats! How long was the turn around time on your emails, or did you hear through snail mail?

jkc939
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jkc939 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 am

mikeyp wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

you should define what "cheap" is, everyone has a different definition. two-bedroom apartments typically go for around $1150.



I loved my visit last friday. The building was amazing, everyone was friendly, and the atmosphere felt like a good fit. If I get a little more scholarship money I would send my seat deposit in immediately. If I attend I think I want to live in Radnor house, based on posts on this thread and talking to an admissions counselor on my recent visit. Sounds like alot of law students live there which would be a good time and I love the idea of being close to both the campus and the bars!
Does this housing fill up pretty quick? I just don't want to waste too much time and have it be full by the time I commit - assuming I do.

User avatar
Onion
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby Onion » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 am

I just got in today! This was my dream school coming into the process so now I just have to see how the financials will work out.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 am

jkc939 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:any cheap & quiet places to live? seems like COL is pretty high at Nova.

you should define what "cheap" is, everyone has a different definition. two-bedroom apartments typically go for around $1150.



I loved my visit last friday. The building was amazing, everyone was friendly, and the atmosphere felt like a good fit. If I get a little more scholarship money I would send my seat deposit in immediately. If I attend I think I want to live in Radnor house, based on posts on this thread and talking to an admissions counselor on my recent visit. Sounds like alot of law students live there which would be a good time and I love the idea of being close to both the campus and the bars!
Does this housing fill up pretty quick? I just don't want to waste too much time and have it be full by the time I commit - assuming I do.

because radnor house is a condo building, leases become available at different times, so its hard to tell. but i know people that got leases that start in june, july, aug, and sept. use the avenues available on the VLS website and craigs list. i got mine on craigs list.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:15 pm

i think i'm visiting next weekend and getting me some geno's and pat's




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest