Villanova 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby horriblegb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm

So I was not going to be able to go back to villanova until late May, maybe June, do you think that is too late to find a place to live? Probably not, I am just now moving onto the next thing to stress about.

bucknell09
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby bucknell09 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Why are the first year class sizes so big at Villanova?

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 pm

jkh wrote:Is that where you live mikeyp?

yep

bucknell09 wrote:Why are the first year class sizes so big at Villanova?

Why do you think they're big? Class sizes range from about 20 to 125, with only one class at the higher end. With only about 260 people per year, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 pm

horriblegb wrote:So I was not going to be able to go back to villanova until late May, maybe June, do you think that is too late to find a place to live? Probably not, I am just now moving onto the next thing to stress about.

You will certainly be able to find a place to live, but your options will be reduced. What I did was I secured a lease that went July 1 - June 30. Even though I didn't move in until mid-August, I used that time to start moving my life to a new place. Besides, you're going to get extra time on the front end or the back end of the lease, so it doesn't really matter.

nyred10
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby nyred10 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:06 pm

mikeyp wrote:
horriblegb wrote:So I was not going to be able to go back to villanova until late May, maybe June, do you think that is too late to find a place to live? Probably not, I am just now moving onto the next thing to stress about.

You will certainly be able to find a place to live, but your options will be reduced. What I did was I secured a lease that went July 1 - June 30. Even though I didn't move in until mid-August, I used that time to start moving my life to a new place. Besides, you're going to get extra time on the front end or the back end of the lease, so it doesn't really matter.


When did you sign your lease? From speaking to other current students and admissions reps, I was under the impression that May-June was about when people sign leases. Do you think it would be exceedingly difficult to get a lease in one of the more desirable/popular residences at around that time?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Hah, just found out my mom still hasn't sent my deposit in yet. Now I'm second guessing myself (again). Someone beat out this uncertainty and tell me that Villanova at sticker is better than Syracuse at 15k/yr (even though my gf will be going there :().

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby superflush » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:tell me that Villanova at sticker is better than Syracuse at 15k/yr


Villanova is better than Syracuse an any cost.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:39 am

nyred10 wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
horriblegb wrote:So I was not going to be able to go back to villanova until late May, maybe June, do you think that is too late to find a place to live? Probably not, I am just now moving onto the next thing to stress about.

You will certainly be able to find a place to live, but your options will be reduced. What I did was I secured a lease that went July 1 - June 30. Even though I didn't move in until mid-August, I used that time to start moving my life to a new place. Besides, you're going to get extra time on the front end or the back end of the lease, so it doesn't really matter.


When did you sign your lease? From speaking to other current students and admissions reps, I was under the impression that May-June was about when people sign leases. Do you think it would be exceedingly difficult to get a lease in one of the more desirable/popular residences at around that time?

I signed the lease mid- to late-may. i don't think it would be exceedingly difficult to get a lease in june too. its hard to say because radnor is all condos being rented by individual owners, so i can't say for sure. it all depends on when the leases run up. but i think you should be ok.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 am

Okay, this time for real, my deposit is in the mail!!!!

User avatar
Onion
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby Onion » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 am

beach_terror wrote:Okay, this time for real, my deposit is in the mail!!!!


Alright, now you can have my real offer of congrats!

bucknell09
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby bucknell09 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:36 am

mikeyp wrote:
bucknell09 wrote:Why are the first year class sizes so big at Villanova?

Why do you think they're big? Class sizes range from about 20 to 125, with only one class at the higher end. With only about 260 people per year, it seems pretty reasonable to me.


Are you able to get to know professors if there are 80 people in your class? I realize it is all up to the individual and all, but there is a certain point where the line out of their office runs two miles long and they are no longer approachable.

User avatar
Isles
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby Isles » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:07 pm

First post here!

Sent in my deposit after the ASD this weekend, so I'll officially be at Nova this fall. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys there.

Anyway I spent literally the ENTIRE day Saturday after the ASD and a large chunk of Sunday looking at apartments. Radcliffe and Home Properties of Bryn Mawr were both pretty nice. I checked out Radnor Crossing too and it was by far the nicest apartment I looked at, albeit slightly more expensive. I was wondering if any of you guys checked it out as well or if any current students know anything about it and if Nova law students live there.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 pm

bucknell09 wrote:Are you able to get to know professors if there are 80 people in your class? I realize it is all up to the individual and all, but there is a certain point where the line out of their office runs two miles long and they are no longer approachable.

Absolutely. The professors here are super nice and very friendly. Generally all of them will purposely go out of their way to get to know their students. Some professors have longer lines than others, but its essentially irrelevant to their approachability. There will always be times you can access the professors. All of them are willing to meet outside of their office hours, too. So you can make an appointment. Most of them area always in their offices anyway and leave their doors open.

Trust me, getting to know your professors will NOT be a problem.

beach_terror wrote:Okay, this time for real, my deposit is in the mail!!!!

Congrats!

Isles wrote:First post here!

Sent in my deposit after the ASD this weekend, so I'll officially be at Nova this fall. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys there.

Anyway I spent literally the ENTIRE day Saturday after the ASD and a large chunk of Sunday looking at apartments. Radcliffe and Home Properties of Bryn Mawr were both pretty nice. I checked out Radnor Crossing too and it was by far the nicest apartment I looked at, albeit slightly more expensive. I was wondering if any of you guys checked it out as well or if any current students know anything about it and if Nova law students live there.

all of them are good. the most popular place to live among law students though is radnor house. a close second is radcliffe and radnor crossing.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm

jkh wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I may be in the search for roommates, if anyone knows how to get a copy of that sheet Onion mentioned, I'd be interested to look as well. I was unfortunately unable to go to the ASD (was at Syracuse's), so hopefully I didn't miss out on too much. Anything unusual strike anyone during the ASD?

Also, is anyone considering 3 roommates to start out with to save as much cash as possible? I figure that as long as I have my own room I'll be fine (I'll be at the school doing most of my work anyway).



E-mail admissions@law.villanova.edu to request to be added to the roommate list. I only did so today, but apparently they e-mail you back with a copy of it.


Have you received an email back with the list yet? I'm sure they're busy, but I'd love to explore my housing options asap. Living with 2 other people brings housing costs down to 433$ a person/month + utilities. That's pretty nice, and much more appealing that paying upwards of 1200 a month for a single.

mattA
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mattA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:35 pm

This is my first post on the Villanova page. I am 97% sure I will be attending and I would like to live with two other roommates. I definitely want to live next to campus, so I can walk to class. Does Villanova have a facebook group to talk about housing?

jkh
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby jkh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
jkh wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I may be in the search for roommates, if anyone knows how to get a copy of that sheet Onion mentioned, I'd be interested to look as well. I was unfortunately unable to go to the ASD (was at Syracuse's), so hopefully I didn't miss out on too much. Anything unusual strike anyone during the ASD?

Also, is anyone considering 3 roommates to start out with to save as much cash as possible? I figure that as long as I have my own room I'll be fine (I'll be at the school doing most of my work anyway).



E-mail admissions@law.villanova.edu to request to be added to the roommate list. I only did so today, but apparently they e-mail you back with a copy of it.


Have you received an email back with the list yet? I'm sure they're busy, but I'd love to explore my housing options asap. Living with 2 other people brings housing costs down to 433$ a person/month + utilities. That's pretty nice, and much more appealing that paying upwards of 1200 a month for a single.


They e-mailed me back saying they added me to the list but won't start sending it out until sometime in May.

mattA
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mattA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Is Villanova apple friendly? Or should I keep with a PC?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 pm

jkh wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
jkh wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I may be in the search for roommates, if anyone knows how to get a copy of that sheet Onion mentioned, I'd be interested to look as well. I was unfortunately unable to go to the ASD (was at Syracuse's), so hopefully I didn't miss out on too much. Anything unusual strike anyone during the ASD?

Also, is anyone considering 3 roommates to start out with to save as much cash as possible? I figure that as long as I have my own room I'll be fine (I'll be at the school doing most of my work anyway).



E-mail admissions@law.villanova.edu to request to be added to the roommate list. I only did so today, but apparently they e-mail you back with a copy of it.


Have you received an email back with the list yet? I'm sure they're busy, but I'd love to explore my housing options asap. Living with 2 other people brings housing costs down to 433$ a person/month + utilities. That's pretty nice, and much more appealing that paying upwards of 1200 a month for a single.


They e-mailed me back saying they added me to the list but won't start sending it out until sometime in May.


Hah, yeah I just got the email too. Guess the roommate search will have to wait awhile then!

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 pm

They just received my seat deposit! hah no more time for doubt!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:59 pm

horriblegb wrote:They just received my seat deposit! hah no more time for doubt!


Did they notify you by email? What did it say? I'm so sick of writing my capstone paper that I could use another distraction to avoid writing these last 1000 words of so, lol. Do you get email information, or do they just say welcome blah blah?

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Dear Horriblegb,

We have received your first seat deposit. This deposits reserves your place in the fall 2010 entering class.

The Admissions Office has created a Facebook group for the class of 2013. If you wish to join this group, please search for "VLS Class of 2013" on Facebook. This group will facilitate the networking of our incoming students as only admitted students will be allowed to join. Several of our current students are also members of the group and are available to answer questions you may have about Villanova Law.

If you do not plan on attending Villanova Law, please let us know so that we can update our records accordingly.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or another member of the Admissions Office at 610-519-7010. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Sincerely,
Feona Persaud Singh


Nothing too exiciting, and i am already part of the facebook group

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mikeyp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 pm

mattA wrote:Is Villanova apple friendly? Or should I keep with a PC?

mac is fine

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Since the roommate information isn't coming out for awhile, if anyone is seriously considering finding a roommate or two for 1L, feel free to pm me as I'm definitely looking for one or two. I figure since a lot of leases seem to get locked down in May/June, it doesn't give anyone too much time to figure out who they'd like to live with. I'm strongly considering the Radnor House due to it's popularity and proximity to the school.

Hopefully some of you are interested in this too, as most of the people posting on this thread seem to be very cool people.

mattA
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby mattA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 pm

I just spoke to the financial aid office and they said all loans are dispersed during orientation in August, so if want to start a lease in June/July I guess we have to come up with the expense out of pocket. Does anybody know if we can get the loans any earlier?

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Villanova 2013

Postby stayway » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Nova dropped to 67?!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest