Villanova 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mshflyer

New

Re: Villanova 2013

Post by mshflyer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm going to be visiting next week. I'll post some pics on here if anyone is interested :)

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey, just went to visit the school today and I loved it! I was wondering if anyone knew about: A) where most law students live, B) What night life is like for law students (Friday and Saturday night if people go out, C) If law students go to the sporting events and D) I have a serious girlfriend coming into law school and I am wondering how accepting people will be as she will not be a student but will be up at the school most weekends and will typically hang out with whoever my circle of friends becomes.

Sorry to post in both Villanova forms but did not know which one was the correct one to post in.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Onion wrote:Hey, just went to visit the school today and I loved it! I was wondering if anyone knew about: A) where most law students live, B) What night life is like for law students (Friday and Saturday night if people go out, C) If law students go to the sporting events and D) I have a serious girlfriend coming into law school and I am wondering how accepting people will be as she will not be a student but will be up at the school most weekends and will typically hang out with whoever my circle of friends becomes.

Sorry to post in both Villanova forms but did not know which one was the correct one to post in.
answered in the other thread.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 am

seems like I'm going to VLS unless Pitt makes it rain! VLS 2013!

radnor plaza?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:08 am

nooyyllib wrote:radnor plaza?
you want the plaza, not the court

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:50 am

superflush wrote:
it includes every utility right?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:28 pm

superflush wrote:
+1 for KOP mall joke.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Went apartment hunting up at Nova today with no success, checked out the Radnor house and it was just awful! The walls were falling apart and it smelled like wet dog everywhere. Would not recommend living there!

nyred10

New

Post by nyred10 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Onion wrote:Went apartment hunting up at Nova today with no success, checked out the Radnor house and it was just awful! The walls were falling apart and it smelled like wet dog everywhere. Would not recommend living there!
Do you mean the rooms were falling apart? I was visiting Villanova and happened to pass Radnor house and recognized the name, so I drove around the outside and it seemed like a pretty good place.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:16 am

i think radnor plaza is the nice one

ewalling

New

Post by ewalling » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for an apartment complex close to campus, popular with law students that also accepts pets? I see that Radnor House is popular but it doesn't look to me like they accept dogs. I keep coming back to Home Properties of Bryn Mawr. Any thoughts?

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 am

Onion wrote:Went apartment hunting up at Nova today with no success, checked out the Radnor house and it was just awful! The walls were falling apart and it smelled like wet dog everywhere. Would not recommend living there!
well this is certainly an unfair description, so please get your facts straight before you start blasting things.

radnor house is a CONDO building, meaning each unit is INDIVIDUALLY owned. so yes, it is possible to find some poor rooms, because each owner is responsible for their own condo. and honestly, if you're looking for a room to rent that's available NOW (i.e., middle of march), you are not going to find a good room. this is because all the ones being rented by law students are STILL RENTED. obviously the ones left are going to be the poor ones.

radnor house wouldn't be the most popular building for law students to live in if the entire place "smelled like wet dog everywhere." so please, understand where you're coming from when you speak.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:29 am

ewalling wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for an apartment complex close to campus, popular with law students that also accepts pets? I see that Radnor House is popular but it doesn't look to me like they accept dogs. I keep coming back to Home Properties of Bryn Mawr. Any thoughts?
radnor house does accept dogs on the first 3 floors.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:38 am

mikeyp wrote:
well this is certainly an unfair description, so please get your facts straight before you start blasting things.

radnor house is a CONDO building, meaning each unit is INDIVIDUALLY owned. so yes, it is possible to find some poor rooms, because each owner is responsible for their own condo. and honestly, if you're looking for a room to rent that's available NOW (i.e., middle of march), you are not going to find a good room. this is because all the ones being rented by law students are STILL RENTED. obviously the ones left are going to be the poor ones.

radnor house wouldn't be the most popular building for law students to live in if the entire place "smelled like wet dog everywhere." so please, understand where you're coming from when you speak.
I am entitled to post as I please and my description was accurate and described my visit. If you would like to post your own opinion from living there of whatnot, please do, I only posted what I noticed during my time there. The walls of the two CONDOS (your majesty) were indeed falling apart and the 3ed floor where I looked did indeed smell awful. Sorry if I offended you during your time of the month, but as people begin to search for housing in the area, they will have different opinions of each place.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:08 pm

OKOK stop the hostility.

some questions

1) Radnor PLAZA is the apartment with all the utilities right?

2) How much is the parking permit for law students?

3) How necessary is it to go to the open house?

4) How old are some of the class of 2013 members? I'm 22 btw.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Onion wrote:
mikeyp wrote:

I am entitled to post as I please and my description was accurate and described my visit. If you would like to post your own opinion from living there of whatnot, please do, I only posted what I noticed during my time there. The walls of the two CONDOS (your majesty) were indeed falling apart and the 3ed floor where I looked did indeed smell awful. Sorry if I offended you during your time of the month, but as people begin to search for housing in the area, they will have different opinions of each place.
i apologize for coming off so abrasive before, it was early, i was stressed. sorry about that. but still, no need for name calling, we're just having a discussion.

but if you had a bad experience by seeing only two condos, it would be nice of you to note that instead of judging the entire complex by seeing one floor (which is one of three floors that allows animals, thus explaining the smell). especially in light of the fact that there are 10 floors and over a hundred units.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:31 pm

nooyyllib wrote:OKOK stop the hostility.

some questions

1) Radnor PLAZA is the apartment with all the utilities right?

2) How much is the parking permit for law students?

3) How necessary is it to go to the open house?

4) How old are some of the class of 2013 members? I'm 22 btw.
1) i'm not sure, i'm not too familiar with radnor plaza, only radnor house.

2) i think its like $150 or something for the year. they add it together with tuition and expenses, so it just got paid for with my loans, thus why i'm not sure the exact cost.

3) nothing is necessary, but it will certainly give you an idea of what the school is like if you're still deciding. if you've already decided, i don't really see it being all too important. but it is a good time to ask questions, because you'll have a lot of students and faculty there.

4) couldn't tell you about the class of 2013, but i was 22 coming in also, and most 1Ls in my class were 22-25. trust me, everyone comes in on an even slate, so you won't even know how old anyone is, nor be concerned with it after the first day or two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

lawbreaker wrote:Mikeyp, do you know any law students with dogs? If so, do you know how they feel about having a dog during law school? I love dogs and want to get one but I am worried I won't have enough time to give it the love and attention it needs.

As a follow up to that, what is your schedule like this year? How many hours a day do you have class?

Thanks!
I know one person with a dog off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a few more. It depends on where you prefer to do your studying. If you want to be in the library to study, don't get a dog, because you won't be home much. If you prefer to be home to do your studying, you should have time, but beware of the distraction a dog can be. I know a lot more people with cats.

This semester, daily class time ranges from as low as 1 hr 15 mins to 4 hrs 55 mins. Also, I don't have class on Fridays. There's a lot of exceptions though (i.e., oral advocacy ended a week or two ago so that's 1 hr 15 mins less per week; and property can be either 3 days per week or 4, depending on what the professor feels each week).

nyred10

New

Post by nyred10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 pm

To what extent do law students feel part of the rest of the campus community? I understand that as grad students our interests are a bit different than the undergrads, but it seems like there is quite a bit of disconnect between the two. The law school is tucked away in its own corner on campus (which I think is a good thing) and you have the railroad separating the law school from the rest of the campus. My tour guide actually referred to it as the "undergrad campus."

I guess it really isn't a huge deal if the two are separated, but do law students find themselves on the rest of the campus for various reasons? The campus is absolutely beautiful and I think it would be a shame to not have a chance to appreciate the rest of it. I know this is kind of an odd question, but what do you think?

jkh

New

Post by jkh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 am

Does 'Nova 2013 have a FB group ?

ewalling

New

Post by ewalling » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:32 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 am

nyred10 wrote:To what extent do law students feel part of the rest of the campus community? I understand that as grad students our interests are a bit different than the undergrads, but it seems like there is quite a bit of disconnect between the two. The law school is tucked away in its own corner on campus (which I think is a good thing) and you have the railroad separating the law school from the rest of the campus. My tour guide actually referred to it as the "undergrad campus."

I guess it really isn't a huge deal if the two are separated, but do law students find themselves on the rest of the campus for various reasons? The campus is absolutely beautiful and I think it would be a shame to not have a chance to appreciate the rest of it. I know this is kind of an odd question, but what do you think?
Yes, there certainly is a separation, and you will be GLAD. The undergrads do sneak into our building on occasion, and they are obnoxious and annoying. You will have chances to go to the undergrad campus, i.e., buying books, going to the gym, play sports, etc. But you won't have much time to do so anyway.

We did play intramural football against the undergrads though, and other sports. So its not completely disconnected.

ewalling

New

Post by ewalling » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:43 am

lawbreaker wrote:
mikeyp wrote:hey all,

i'm a 1L at villanova, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! i'd prefer to keep the questions in the thread for everyone's benefit.

and yes, the food in the cafeteria is not the best around, heh. :lol:
Mikeyp, do you know any law students with dogs? If so, do you know how they feel about having a dog during law school? I love dogs and want to get one but I am worried I won't have enough time to give it the love and attention it needs.

As a follow up to that, what is your schedule like this year? How many hours a day do you have class?

Thanks!
I will be a new student in the Fall so I can't really speak in terms of the workload while having a dog, but I do plan on bringing my dog with me. She will be almost 2 by August though so she has calmed down a lot. When I told people I was going to be getting a puppy everyone told me how much work they are and they really were not lying. Puppies require a lot of attention or else they will chew everything and they have to go out to go to the bathroom far more frequently than an adult dog and they need a consistent schedule. There were plenty of times that I came home from work and just wanted to relax and watch tv but she had all sorts of bottled up energy and wanted my undivided attention. So if you want to get a dog I would really recommend getting a slightly older dog and I would look at organizations that foster animals because those dogs are usually the most "adoptable" and they are usually already housebroken and well adjusted. I have also noticed in my apartment searches that there are several complexes that accept dogs, but a lot of the time there is additional pet rent and/or security deposits. I think just about all of the apartments have weight limits and breed restrictions. Let me know if you decide to go for it, we can have a doggie play-date!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm

http://www.rosemontplaza.com/

any knowledge about this place? according to VLS alot of law students live here?

Kevin3960

New

Post by Kevin3960 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Can you explain the Villanova's focus areas of study? Do you declare a focus like one declares a college major? Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”