(No longer accepting applicants at the moment.) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
reasonable_man

Gold

Re: TLS seeks part-time interns - $12-$15/hr

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:10 pm

rw2264 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote: Current LS applicants are encouraged to include a list of acceptances thus far (if applicable).
Why?
let's be honest: nobody wants to take advice from someone who can only get into tier 4.

I'll keep that in mind and be sure to not comment to any of your ops. We wouldn't want you to accidentally take advice from an intellectual inferior such as myself.

Douche.

If I didn't know that a sizable portion of the 'smart' kids on here were destine for a far less prestigious (by TLS measurement anyway), career than myself, posts like this would really bother me.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:16 pm

Didn't read past the first page but can splitters apply (low LSDAS GPA)? I've gotten some T14s, 172 LSAT. I just graduated 4 weeks ago and aside from a part-time job I've got a bunch of time on my hands.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:18 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Didn't read past the first page but can splitters apply (low LSDAS GPA)? I've gotten some T14s, 172 LSAT. I just graduated 4 weeks ago and aside from a part-time job I've got a bunch of time on my hands.
Hmmm....apparent lack of attention span. Not sure how that would work out......

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm

jayzon wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
It's not about discriminating against T3 kids that take full rides for personal reasons. I can off hand think of three posters that went through the app cycle at the same time I did with decent, but not compelling numbers (i.e. numbers hovering around the 25th percentile LSAT wise and somewhat above median in terms of GPA). The acceptances they scored at certain schools plainly indicated they had put a fantastic app package together. (Just to note, none of them is a URM). If those posters applied for the position and submitted their numbers along with their acceptances, it'd be damn clear that they were capable of putting together compelling PSs. In fact, if I could go back in time, I'd have had all three of them review my PS before I submitted it to Berkeley - I think it may have made the difference.

The competent kid that goes to a T3 for the full ride would likely have gotten in absent a compelling PS. I don't object to submitting writing samples as a way of proving competence but I imagine that a comparison of numbers with acceptances gained would give the team a pretty fair and reasonable idea of who can write. Somewhat modest numbers coupled with compelling acceptances strongly imply that the person did a damn good job putting that app together. And there's no disagreeing with results either, the way there may be when multiple people are judging writing samples.
This is the absolute truth. If someone is capable of getting into a top law school, then they are capable of helping others get into a top law school. Where they choose to attend is irrelevant.
LOL? This is the best If-->Then statement I've ever encountered. The trouble with DD's line of reasoning is she thinks it was the PS that got these "three posters" into their schools. Without knowing more about these anonymous people, including WE, ability and extracurricular involvement, it's faulty to think their writing ability was the determining factor in achieving an unlikely admission.

Since it appears this position will require few to no computer science skills, qualificaitons should be based on writing ability, not logical or analytical reasoning (LSAT...) or how well you did in your engineering classes (GPA). But that's just my two cents.
PKSebben wrote: But If admissions (and thus GPA/LSAT) is used by Ken and Co. as a proxy for who will be a great content producer generally, then I think they will be disappointed in their results. I know enough "top" law student admits to know that a great many of them suck out loud.
QFT

ALSO,

Who is Tangerine Gleam? I've never seen this person on TLS ever. I don't like the world outside the lounge, it's cold and dismal and full of strange creatures.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Didn't read past the first page but can splitters apply (low LSDAS GPA)? I've gotten some T14s, 172 LSAT. I just graduated 4 weeks ago and aside from a part-time job I've got a bunch of time on my hands.
you said the hours were flexible! a minute here, *distraction* 30 seconds there, *distraction*... etc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
I figured the rest would be the back and forth of whether the qualifications were fair and after a quick scan of the 2nd page, it turned out I was right. But seriously, do splitters (with strong upward trend! graduated summa from a Top 5 public!) have a shot?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Rocketman11 wrote: LOL? This is the best If-->Then statement I've ever encountered. The trouble with DD's line of reasoning is she thinks it was the PS that got these "three posters" into their schools. Without knowing more about these anonymous people, including WE, ability and extracurricular involvement, it's faulty to think their writing ability was the determining factor in achieving an unlikely admission.
You assume I don't have that information. Your assumption is faulty. Hth.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Rocketman11 wrote: LOL? This is the best If-->Then statement I've ever encountered. The trouble with DD's line of reasoning is she thinks it was the PS that got these "three posters" into their schools. Without knowing more about these anonymous people, including WE, ability and extracurricular involvement, it's faulty to think their writing ability was the determining factor in achieving an unlikely admission.
I don't assume that, I stated as fact that you aren't sharing it (you shared URM status, after all. Not disclosing the rest leads me to believe there are some smoke and mirrors at play). Of course "I know a/two/three guy(s) who got into X school, but im not giving you any information you'll just have to trust that my deduction is correct" has historically been a winning argument

HTH.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
I don't assume that, I stated as fact that you aren't sharing it (you shared URM status, after all. Not disclosing the rest leads me to believe there are some smoke and mirrors at play). Of course "I know a/two/three guy(s) who got into X school, but im not giving you any information you'll just have to trust that my deduction is correct" has historically been a winning argument

HTH.
Mentioning lack of the URM status is far less distinctive and revealing of someone's identity than specifics like WE or ECs. Surely you can comprehend the differing levels of specificity involved. Then again, perhaps not. I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, given beta's warning, I'm going to do my best to drop the topic. Carry on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Mentioning lack of the URM status is far less distinctive and revealing of someone's identity than specifics like WE or ECs. Surely you can comprehend the differing levels of specificity involved. Then again, perhaps not. I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, given beta's warning, I'm going to do my best to drop the topic. Carry on.
I can comprehend it, but why bother bring it up? The fact we have to just take your word it removes any weight at all. That's all I'm saying.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Tagged out of curiosity.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:51 pm

When is the application deadline?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:57 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:When is the application deadline?

Not to pick on the lawschoolgiant here, with 12 posts or so, but wouldn't it be great if he had a 175, 3.7 and thus were considered a 'good' candidate to help reshape TLS, while a poster with several thousand posts, but a low LSAT score would apparantly be considered less qualified? -- I'm assuming this is the case, otherwise why ask for things like LSAT/GPA/admit-status.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:02 pm

What's the median LSAT/GPA for TLS interns?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:What's the median LSAT/GPA for TLS interns?
Looking at your numbers, I'd definitely say that you might want to take advantage of our early decision option.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Before things spiral any further out of control here, I'm going to lock this thread.

If you have any questions about the position, please feel free to PM me. I will update my original post to reflect anything that may have been left out, but for now I think there is sufficient information to help TLS users determine whether or not they would like to apply.

Finally, I can assure that Ken will be even-handed in picking his team. All qualified and seriously interested applicants are encouraged to apply. Please read my original post for instructions.

Thanks!

TG

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”