GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Teoeo

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Teoeo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Do the loans automatically pay for health care? It seems to be separated from tuition and I would like to waive it.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Teoeo wrote:Do the loans automatically pay for health care? It seems to be separated from tuition and I would like to waive it.

I was wondering this myself, but I'm unsure of the answer. I suppose if they bill you automatically it can be contested and removed, but who wants to go through all that trouble?

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Always Credited wrote:
Teoeo wrote:Do the loans automatically pay for health care? It seems to be separated from tuition and I would like to waive it.

I was wondering this myself, but I'm unsure of the answer. I suppose if they bill you automatically it can be contested and removed, but who wants to go through all that trouble?

I'm fairly certain they don't. You have to register at http://gwired.gwu.edu/shs/Insurance/. I'm pretty sure the form requires at least slightly more in-depth information than the school already has and that it's at least a little illegal for them to give much of the information out on our behalf without our explicit permission. At any rate, per our emails from Dean Richard having health insurance at all is optional.
GWU Group Health Insurance
GW Law students are encouraged, but not required, to have health insurance. GWU, through AETNA Student Health, offers group health insurance for students and their dependents. To review information about the plan and enrollment, please go to: http://gwired.gwu.edu/shs/Insurance/

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 pm

sibley wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

I'm fairly certain they don't. You have to register at http://gwired.gwu.edu/shs/Insurance/. I'm pretty sure the form requires at least slightly more in-depth information than the school already has and that it's at least a little illegal for them to give much of the information out on our behalf without our explicit permission. At any rate, per our emails from Dean Richard having health insurance at all is optional.
GWU Group Health Insurance
GW Law students are encouraged, but not required, to have health insurance. GWU, through AETNA Student Health, offers group health insurance for students and their dependents. To review information about the plan and enrollment, please go to: http://gwired.gwu.edu/shs/Insurance/

So if we waive the GW health insurance, the money that would otherwise have been spent on it becomes...spending money?!?!

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Always Credited wrote:So if we waive the GW health insurance, the money that would otherwise have been spent on it becomes...spending money?!?!

Ha. In my case, more like dental-and-rent money. You know, for when I run out of time to brush my teeth because I have too much studying to do. And for when I can't get a paying summer job and need to not be evicted.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:38 pm

sibley wrote:
Always Credited wrote:So if we waive the GW health insurance, the money that would otherwise have been spent on it becomes...spending money?!?!

Ha. In my case, more like dental-and-rent money. You know, for when I run out of time to brush my teeth because I have too much studying to do. And for when I can't get a paying summer job and need to not be evicted.

Quoting one of the worst songs in the world, one can save money and time by brushing with a bottle of Jack. =)

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:44 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:

Quoting one of the worst songs in the world, one can save money and time by brushing with a bottle of Jack. =)

[x] - Delicious
[ ] - Nutritious
[x] - Efficient
[x] - Amazing idea to save $$
[ ] - Good song to have stuck in your head

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 pm

sibley wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Health care is billed separately from the GW billing/loans process and is done through Aetna Healthcare's site. I'll be the GW guinea pig after dood's experiences as I don't have a better option for health insurance.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am

Always Credited wrote:
[ ] - Delicious
[ ] - Nutritious
[x] - Efficient
[ ] - Amazing idea to save $$
[ ] - Good song to have stuck in your head

Adjusted with my thoughts. :mrgreen:

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:12 am

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Health care is billed separately from the GW billing/loans process and is done through Aetna Healthcare's site. I'll be the GW guinea pig after dood's experiences as I don't have a better option for health insurance.

What happened to dood? I feel like you're gonna tell me something that scares me into dropping the money for insurance, haha

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 am

Always Credited wrote:What happened to dood? I feel like you're gonna tell me something that scares me into dropping the money for insurance, haha

Not exactly sure as he did not elaborate and the post has been deleted. I wouldn't be surprised about random coverage exceptions though.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 am

ApexChaser wrote:
Always Credited wrote:What happened to dood? I feel like you're gonna tell me something that scares me into dropping the money for insurance, haha

Not exactly sure as he did not elaborate and the post has been deleted. I wouldn't be surprised about random coverage exceptions though.

The insurance was United Health Care last year and they were real assholes. I'll spare you the details because it is irrelevant now. This year should be better; Aetna is what I would have bought independently had GW not switched.

But the only reason I buy insurance is because I am 27 (not covered by mom and dad anymore), and I have some health issues that require monthly prescriptions and checkups (mainly diabetes). If you already have heath insurance from mom and dad there is no reason to double up. And even if you are over 27 you can always just risk it...I know plenty of people who do.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 am

Last edited by dood on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:30 am

The loans only automatically pay for tuition, for the rest of it, you get a refund check and you can decide how to use the money. Though I think its regulated a bit, right? Like you can't just use $30,000 at a bar and get away with it. lol.

I hope it's casual... the pre-orientation is business friday but that's because of the court.

Pre-orientation? When/where/what is that?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 am

It is for PI. If you don't know about it don't worry, only a fifth of the class is going.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:40 am

Teoeo wrote:It is for PI. If you don't know about it don't worry, only a fifth of the class is going.

I'm giving up my spot- I'm not moving in until Saturday anyway.

Apex, why do you have 2 facebooks? And how come I have to be friends with the outcast one?

nallku

Postby nallku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:39 am

About the mentor program. I really liked it because I got a lot of helpful information early on (e.g. links to the outline banks). We didn't meet every week. It was just one meeting and then in the hall if we saw each other we would say hi. I also got a few outlines from friends of my mentor which weren't available. We just met if needed, and it really wasn't needed. I am sure that a mentor will have many things to do also, so if you really don't want to meet every week, that would be more than fine. Just make sure everything is ok.

About lockers: First, they make 1Ls share lockers in the basement (which is inconvienent) or share them on the 4th floor. I got one on the fourth floor because it was right outside of three of my classes. Almost all doctrinal classes (Torts, Contracts, & Crim.) are in L102, L103, or L104. Look to see what section you are in. Even if you havent had orientation yet, the information about what section you are in is on the Gweb website. Just log in and click on the registration tab. It is nice being able to know where your classes are and what books you need. Also, I would get the spring LRW book in advance. They ran out last year and even though the book sucked, some people were only able to get in in late Februrary. LRW is basically over in late March.

The building layout is confusing, just remember that from the second floor you can go to any hall (that is part of the main complex). Also, the first week you may find a good study spot, but the 2Ls and 3Ls are not on campus. So just know that some rooms that are preety empty may not have a spot for you the following week.

If any of you need E&E's or the commercial outlines I am selling all of mine for the first year classes as well as the law in a flash first year set. Just PM me and I will drop them off. I kept my casebooks and still want them but will rent them for 20 bucks, just keep them in relatively good condition and promise to return them. Just let me know what editions.

nallku

Postby nallku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:47 am

sibley wrote:
morg1693 wrote:Is anyone living at the Columbia Plaza? Just moved in today!

Also, my friend just showed this article to me and I found it appropriate to share-

http://www.switched.com/2008/11/14/why- ... laptop?rss

lol. I always wonder why people mess with law students/lawyers. Aren't we all the more likely to sue, and win? Or, apparently, beat people up?

LOL. True Story:
The night of my Civ. Pro. II exam in the spring (last final). My appartment caught fire. I hurried and woke my wife and grabbed my son (18 months old at the time). We ran out of the smoke filled building. After thinking about my outline, and how I needed my laptop, I went back in for my computer. It is amazing what a 1L will do. I couldn't type the last 20 minutes of the exam because I got no sleep that night and smelled like smoke, but still did very well.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:52 am

nallku wrote:
sibley wrote:
morg1693 wrote:Is anyone living at the Columbia Plaza? Just moved in today!

Also, my friend just showed this article to me and I found it appropriate to share-

http://www.switched.com/2008/11/14/why- ... laptop?rss

lol. I always wonder why people mess with law students/lawyers. Aren't we all the more likely to sue, and win? Or, apparently, beat people up?

LOL. True Story:
The night of my Civ. Pro. II exam in the spring (last final). My appartment caught fire. I hurried and woke my wife and grabbed my son (18 months old at the time). We ran out of the smoke filled building. After thinking about my outline, and how I needed my laptop, I went back in for my computer. It is amazing what a 1L will do. I couldn't type the last 20 minutes of the exam because I got no sleep that night and smelled like smoke, but still did very well.

That is a great story. You should grow up to be a dean for a law school. So you can tell it to the incoming students. It's kind of like my ug's president, who went to berkeley in the 60s/70s. The professors moved the classes off campus, and as he was walking to one in a cafe or someone's apartment or someplace, by himself on the quad... no one in sight.. someone flies above him and drops tear gas. So he shows up to class a couple minutes late with very red eyes.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:53 am

dood wrote:lol thanks but they match us pretty well using the forms. u should use the form to ask for a hot girl anyways. :wink: and if she cant help u out, feel free to send me PM on here.

There are hot girls in law school? :shock:

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:53 am

nallku wrote: Look to see what section you are in. Even if you havent had orientation yet, the information about what section you are in is on the Gweb website. Just log in and click on the registration tab.

Can someone try this? I'm still afraid to sign up for the unofficial netid.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 am

Section 15 ftw.

nallku

Postby nallku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:35 am

For those still trying here is the path we took last year to find out:

Go to http://my.gwu.edu

Click on the "GWeb Info System" Link on the left part of the page (4th one down)

Click on Student Records and Registration

Click Registration Menu

Click Student Detail Schedule (I think, I know the other one won't show it, because it is by date. Just in the Registration Menu is how we found it last year)

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 am

nallku wrote:For those still trying here is the path we took last year to find out:

Go to http://my.gwu.edu

Click on the "GWeb Info System" Link on the left part of the page (4th one down)

Click on Student Records and Registration

Click Registration Menu

Click Student Detail Schedule (I think, I know the other one won't show it, because it is by date. Just in the Registration Menu is how we found it last year)

Thank you. That works, but... I'm not currently registered for the term. Will keep trying obsessively.

nallku

Postby nallku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 am

I am sorry I can't remember the final link, but about 2 or 3 weeks before orientation, it is how we found out. They may have changed it. Just try all of them.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”