GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sibley

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Voluntary library contribution... why the heck would we pay it?

Also... refund checks get picked up!! YES! I know what I'm doing August 27th. Making sure I can pay my rent, that's what.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 pm

sibley wrote:Voluntary library contribution... why the heck would we pay it?

Also... refund checks get picked up!! YES! I know what I'm doing August 27th. Making sure I can pay my rent, that's what.

I thought they were pretty explicit that it CANNOT be picked up. Hang on, I'll double check. <--- lul, pun.

Edit: From the SAO Refund form, "I also understand that the refund will be mailed to the address below and that refunds are not available for pickup.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Double post o_O
Last edited by Teoeo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:45 pm

You can definitely pick em up.

Edit: By the way, that pun was very lulworthy +1

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Teoeo wrote:You can definitely pick em up.

Wait - so despite the SAO saying that it can't be picked up, it can indeed be picked up?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Always Credited wrote:

Wait - so despite the SAO saying that it can't be picked up, it can indeed be picked up?

"Automatic Refunds to Students

All refunds to students are made in the form of checks. If you will be receiving a refund for the fall 2010 semester, you must pick up that refund check at Colonial Central on the ground floor of the Marvin Center, located at 800 21st Street, NW.

You may pick up your refund check on the following days and at the following times:

Friday, August 27 ? from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday, August 30 through Thursday, September 2 ? from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Friday, September 3 ? from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon."

That's what it seems like to me... o_O

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

"Automatic Refunds to Students

All refunds to students are made in the form of checks. If you will be receiving a refund for the fall 2010 semester, you must pick up that refund check at Colonial Central on the ground floor of the Marvin Center, located at 800 21st Street, NW.

You may pick up your refund check on the following days and at the following times:

Friday, August 27 ? from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday, August 30 through Thursday, September 2 ? from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Friday, September 3 ? from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon."

That's what it seems like to me... o_O

I just got this email a few minutes ago. I was quoting the information I offered above from the SAO Refund Form available through the website...which is apparently outdated now. GW, update your shit!

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:58 pm

But conflicting information is so much more lawyerly.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:51 am

sibley wrote:But what about that section that says our admitted students blackboards will change over to the regular one? it doesn't seem like any action at all is required on our part and we already have our net ids.

I might just be having a reading comp issue. My reading, of what I've seen so far, is the law admitted portal (what I'm looking at doesn't have a tab for blackboard) will transition and provide the @law email but nothing else is specifically mentioned. On the other-hand, the mygw portal already has tabs for blackboard, gwmail and everything else hence my thinking that blackboard will be through there. I am absolutely certain I could be wrong though. :D

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:12 am

Ah, new discovery from a housing email approving the whole multiple netids issue.

Creating a GW University username and e-mail
Create a GW University username and e-mail. This is separate from your GW Law username and e-mail, and is necessary for you to access the Fixit System and the wired internet at the Aston.
• Go to helpdesk.gwu.edu/accounts/ and create a username and password
• Once you have completed this step, go to my.gwu.edu and click on the “e-mail” link to access your GW University e-mail. From there, you can have e-mails forwarded to your law school account (or any other account you prefer).
Important university and housing information is sent to your GW University e-mail, so it’s important that you complete this as soon as possible.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

I can now log into blackboard incase anyone cares :D

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am

Teoeo wrote:I can now log into blackboard incase anyone cares :D

Like... law blackboard? Or regular blackboard?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:08 pm

sibley wrote:

You just blew my mind.....

I have no idea

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Teoeo wrote:
sibley wrote:

I have no idea

I think if it's law blackboard it will say 'law' at the top. But I'm also not sure there will be an independent one for the law school. I think there will be though, because it doesn't make sense they'd make a blackboard on the law site JUST for admitted students... (having a my.something signifies that it's blackboard in m head)

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Anybody here staying at Columbia Plaza?

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:13 pm

sibley wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
sibley wrote:

I have no idea

I think if it's law blackboard it will say 'law' at the top. But I'm also not sure there will be an independent one for the law school. I think there will be though, because it doesn't make sense they'd make a blackboard on the law site JUST for admitted students... (having a my.something signifies that it's blackboard in m head)

The my.something portal isn't blackboard; I think a possible terminology difference is why we're all confused. On the mygw portal, there's a link to another thing called blackboard, which is a class repository.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:29 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
sibley wrote:Like... law blackboard? Or regular blackboard?

I have no idea

The my.something portal isn't blackboard; I think a possible terminology difference is why we're all confused. On the mygw portal, there's a link to another thing called blackboard, which is a class repository.

Here's what's going on. the interface IS blackboard, whether or not they distinguish a 'blackboard' section separately. I think that the interface just allows schools to set it up how they want it. At my undergrad the blackboard had all the basic links to email and such and then a section called 'courses' where all the class interaction stuff was. Here, they're just actually calling that section 'Blackboard.' However, the my.law.gwu.edu is currently microsoft sharepoint. I assume they'll just upload the site again, replacing the microsoft crap with blackboard, and that'll do it. I just wonder if we'll have to recreate netids, which seems likely since it was microsoft...

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 pm

sibley wrote:Here's what's going on. the interface IS blackboard, whether or not they distinguish a 'blackboard' section separately. I think that the interface just allows schools to set it up how they want it. At my undergrad the blackboard had all the basic links to email and such and then a section called 'courses' where all the class interaction stuff was. Here, they're just actually calling that section 'Blackboard.' However, the my.law.gwu.edu is currently microsoft sharepoint. I assume they'll just upload the site again, replacing the microsoft crap with blackboard, and that'll do it. I just wonder if we'll have to recreate netids, which seems likely since it was microsoft...

Interpretation difference; I guess this bodes well for fun class discussions with our difference viewpoints. =) My undergrad used a similar repository by Sakai called bSpace and it was a separate database from the portal. bSpace actually replaced Blackboard at my school, but both only served as a coursework file repository and were never integrated to the level you're talking about. Since there is a mygw portal http://my.gwu.edu/ which redirects separately to email, calendar, and blackboard even after signin, that's my possibly flawed interpretation.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Remind me: Why is everybody trying to get on blackboard?

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Remind me: Why is everybody trying to get on blackboard?

Because.

I honestly have no clue, but I like exploring/tinkering with things. :D

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:Here's what's going on. the interface IS blackboard, whether or not they distinguish a 'blackboard' section separately. I think that the interface just allows schools to set it up how they want it. At my undergrad the blackboard had all the basic links to email and such and then a section called 'courses' where all the class interaction stuff was. Here, they're just actually calling that section 'Blackboard.' However, the my.law.gwu.edu is currently microsoft sharepoint. I assume they'll just upload the site again, replacing the microsoft crap with blackboard, and that'll do it. I just wonder if we'll have to recreate netids, which seems likely since it was microsoft...

Interpretation difference; I guess this bodes well for fun class discussions with our difference viewpoints. =) My undergrad used a similar repository by Sakai called bSpace and it was a separate database from the portal. bSpace actually replaced Blackboard at my school, but both only served as a coursework file repository and were never integrated to the level you're talking about. Since there is a mygw portal http://my.gwu.edu/ which redirects separately to email, calendar, and blackboard even after signin, that's my possibly flawed interpretation.

My school used blackboard. If you want I can post a screenshot... it's quite similar but with a different set up. My school calls what GW calls 'blackboard' courses. From the main page you can log in to email, get course info, log in to financial aid and bursar, log into course registration. The system is still run by blackboard, though. Have you ever used any development software of your own? Like wordpress? That's what I'm basing my understanding on- the way previous online systems I've experienced have worked, including my ug's blackboard.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Remind me: Why is everybody trying to get on blackboard?

Fun. Trying to feel like I'm doing something to prepare for school. Possibility of our courses being posted there BEFORE orientation and therefore possibility of getting textbooks not-from-the-bookstore.

http://www.blackboard.com/sites/innovationstories/usm/
Jump to 30 seconds if you don't want to lose all respect for USM before you see the different interface options.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:52 pm

sibley wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:

My school used blackboard. If you want I can post a screenshot... it's quite similar but with a different set up. My school calls what GW calls 'blackboard' courses. From the main page you can log in to email, get course info, log in to financial aid and bursar, log into course registration. The system is still run by blackboard, though. Have you ever used any development software of your own? Like wordpress? That's what I'm basing my understanding on- the way previous online systems I've experienced have worked, including my ug's blackboard.

Ah, gotcha, I stand corrected. I use wordpress on my personal webpage and understand the concept. I didn't know the Blackboard suite extended that far. It's why I did mechanical engineering, I avoid things involving programming/web design whenever possible. Wordpress is my cheat to not really learn CSS =P

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:54 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:

Ah, gotcha, I stand corrected. I use wordpress on my personal webpage and understand the concept. I didn't know the Blackboard suite extended that far. It's why I did mechanical engineering, I avoid things involving programming/web design whenever possible. =P

I could be wrong, but I think it does extend that far because I know we got the 'pre-blackboard' interface at the same time we got blackboard... it seems like it's one and the same.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

I panicked and ordered Getting to Maybe. Does anyone else feel like there's a faint glimmer of hope? Like this site's study guides might save us? Maybe make law school almost easy, if you take away the work? Hypothetically. Not trying to tempt fate here.

I never learned how to study. High school was easy and college tests that required heavy heavy memorization applied in just the right way I bombed. Anyone have any memorization tips? I'm good with concepts, but if I have flashcards I just end up memorizing the the shape of the words with the definition instead of the actual word. Or maybe that's ok and ALL the tests will be open note...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”