GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Always Credited

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Always Credited » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 pm

sibley wrote:After 45 minutes on the phone, plus 20 minutes previously, and the guy asking for my credit information before I even decided on a plan, and the comcast phone number on their website changing, I told the guy 'I have to go, bye' and hung up. But he offered me 12mbps at $20 for a year, with a $30 installation fee. And I told him the website said 15 and he said he had no idea about that. Maybe it's because of the powerboost but either way it just got too sketchy.

I'll call back tomorrow, ask for a manager, tell them the deal I was offered and the hour+ I spent on hold. I hear comcast is always sketchy, though.

That's extremely sketchy...is there any way you can go wireless with a local provider? It may be easier, or not, depending on your laptop/netbook/computer capabilities and whatever is available.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Always Credited wrote:
sibley wrote:After 45 minutes on the phone, plus 20 minutes previously, and the guy asking for my credit information before I even decided on a plan, and the comcast phone number on their website changing, I told the guy 'I have to go, bye' and hung up. But he offered me 12mbps at $20 for a year, with a $30 installation fee. And I told him the website said 15 and he said he had no idea about that. Maybe it's because of the powerboost but either way it just got too sketchy.

I'll call back tomorrow, ask for a manager, tell them the deal I was offered and the hour+ I spent on hold. I hear comcast is always sketchy, though.

That's extremely sketchy...is there any way you can go wireless with a local provider? It may be easier, or not, depending on your laptop/netbook/computer capabilities and whatever is available.

Too slow. I plan on using netflix downloads for my entertainment. I think I could technically use GW's wireless since I'm so close, but not reliably/quickly enough.

Dionysus

Postby Dionysus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Looks like admissions is finally getting things started on our registration. I was able to sign up for a gw email account, but I'm not registered for classes yet according to Blackboard.

Here's the site:
--LinkRemoved--

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:04 am

Dionysus wrote:Looks like admissions is finally getting things started on our registration. I was able to sign up for a gw email account, but I'm not registered for classes yet according to Blackboard.

Here's the site:
--LinkRemoved--

ooh. but how is this different from the admitted students blackboard? I thought the net id would stay the same (from the one we made for the admit portal)...

edit: i tried it. it didn't work: "No name defined in Banner for G#######"

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:37 am

Dionysus wrote:Looks like admissions is finally getting things started on our registration. I was able to sign up for a gw email account, but I'm not registered for classes yet according to Blackboard.

Here's the site:
--LinkRemoved--

Thanks for the heads up on email. I've "got" a netID/email now, but it gives me an error when I try to login to mygw, email, etc. We'll see what IT says in the morning...

And I just read they use Cisco Clean Access.... (oh joy...... I can only hope there is never a need to use hardwire and the client...)

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:11 am

Isn't that for grad students, not law students? look at the domain, no @law in it.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 am

Teoeo wrote:Isn't that for grad students, not law students? look at the domain, no @law in it.

I was wondering about that. Mostly because I think that @gwmail.gwu.edu is a silly and unattractive email address. But if you go to the law website then click Info for -> Students -> GWmail at the top it takes you to a log in with the same @gwmail thing.

Guess we'll just have to wait another week.

edit: DID just find out they're using gmail. My undergrad did that. I love that.
And, another huge perk, our email addresses never expire:
As long as you have an affiliation (student or alumni) with GW, your account will remain available to you indefinitely. You will not lose your email account due to inactivity; however, you must remain in good standing with the University by adhering to all applicable policies and codes of conduct. You are encouraged to use your GWMail account to stay connected to the University community. Your GWMail account will be your primary email account for all official correspondence from the University.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 am

I said that cause an email I got from a student had @law in it... I think we probably will set up our emails at orientation.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 am

Are we not allowed to record lectures?

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Students/Student ... olicy.aspx

And can my mac record while I type so if I click a certain place in my notes the recording will match?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:17 am

I just signed up for and got an email account.. I hope this doesn't screw me up down the line =D

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 am

Teoeo wrote:I just signed up for and got an email account.. I hope this doesn't screw me up down the line =D

I hope they know I'm coming =/ Did you try it last night? Mine wouldn't work last night. Can you find the log in page? I thought that had to be done through blackboard.

Oh, also... what did you use as your netid? I'm thinking first initial, last name (and that's what the link for making a netid suggests).
The link for making the netid takes you to that page^ Will you try logging into blackboard using it and seeing if you get the regular law site?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:26 am

sibley wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I just signed up for and got an email account.. I hope this doesn't screw me up down the line =D

I hope they know I'm coming =/ Did you try it last night? Mine wouldn't work last night. Can you find the log in page? I thought that had to be done through blackboard.

Oh, also... what did you use as your netid? I'm thinking first initial, last name (and that's what the link for making a netid suggests).
The link for making the netid takes you to that page^ Will you try logging into blackboard using it and seeing if you get the regular law site?

I used first initial last name for netid. I'll try blackboard in a few... but they said it shouldnt be active for 24 hours.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:31 am

Can't log into blackboard... Good news is I have 1 gmail account now with 4 different email addresses. I am such a pro ^_^

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:33 am

Teoeo wrote:Can't log into blackboard... Good news is I have 1 gmail account now with 4 different email addresses. I am such a pro ^_^

Let me know what happens when you can get onto blackboard. I'm too scared to try it until then. I don't want to have to go to it during orientation and be all "uhhh. I broke my email..."

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 am

Hah, I think im going to get a @law email also. I am looking at their website and the law school provides its own domain. Hopefully I didn't screw it up and I'll just have 2 gw emails now =D

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 am

Here we go:

" Initially your portal account will be limited to information relevant to admitted students. In mid-August as the fall semester nears your account will be converted to a regular student account, including activation of e-mail. Your e-mail address will be based on your portal account user name: if your username is jdoe then your e-mail address will be jdoe@law.gwu.edu ."

Dionysus

Postby Dionysus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 am

Hah I guess we have two email addresses then. Hopefully my impatience didn't cause me to screw up this whole email thing.

My life would be perfect now if I had two things:
1. My GW ID so I could use the fitness center
2. My class schedule so I don't have to get ripped off by the bookstore

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:46 am

Dionysus wrote:Hah I guess we have two email addresses then. Hopefully my impatience didn't cause me to screw up this whole email thing.

I want my email so I can look like I'm doing something with my life on facebook. I have a fb group with my friends from freshman year. next to their names it says stuff like "Yale Grad Student" "Baylor Medical Grad Student" and "Rochester Grad Student"... and I feel like a loser.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 am

sibley wrote:
Dionysus wrote:Hah I guess we have two email addresses then. Hopefully my impatience didn't cause me to screw up this whole email thing.

I want my email so I can look like I'm doing something with my life on facebook. I have a fb group with my friends from freshman year. next to their names it says stuff like "Yale Grad Student" "Baylor Medical Grad Student" and "Rochester Grad Student"... and I feel like a loser.

I know what you mean. I added GWU law to my education so I wouldn't be behind everyone elses grad status =D

edit: redundant "Hah"ing needed to be removed!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 am

Teoeo wrote:I know what you mean. I added GWU law to my education so I wouldn't be behind everyone elses grad status =D

edit: redundant "Hah"ing needed to be removed!

I did that too. I just wish it'd show up in my network.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 am

thanks for the tip on the email registration

my first name is michael so i tried to make my net id just "michael"

apparently they have had people with the name michael at gw before

weird

also - make sure you spell your netID properly because it doesn't give you a chance to confirm it!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Oooh maybe I'll make mine my first name. But my admit portal id is already my first initial and last name. First name just somehow makes it seem so much more powerful.

I think my life just fell into place today. Since I'm leaving in a week I went to visit my undergrad and the job I had for 3 years while I was there. The director of the office is an attorney, counsel to the university. Every once in a while they have a summer legal intern. I went to see the atty's new office and he stopped and showed me another new room nearby, saying "This is where you would work if you were still doing your filing project." How appropriate is it for me to read in between the lines there?

He also made me feel more confident about school. He went to BYU and said he read every single case because he didn't feel like he had the right to be there or something and wanted to make himself worth it. He agreed with me that GW was a better choice for me that WUSTL... pointed out how similar WUSTL is to my undergrad. And he suggested something that I think is a good idea. Before class meet with just one other student and go over the cases. If you read them that's good but talking about them helps make it more concrete. I think I'll apply for his job in 15 years if I'm not happy with my lot, and if he does retire then.

Jacyll

Postby Jacyll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Are we not allowed to record lectures?

--LinkRemoved-- ... olicy.aspx

2. Express Permission to Privately Record Required: Unless an instructor expressly authorizes recording of his or her classes, students should presume that private recording of that instructor’s class is not permitted. Instructors are encouraged to address policies relating to private recordings of classes in their syllabi by directly referencing this policy and/or by providing additional specific guidelines.

3. Governing Assumptions: Unless the relevant instructor expressly states otherwise, when allowed to make a private recording of a class the student authorized should assume (a) that it is to be an audio recording; (b) that a single recording is to be made and that it is not to be duplicated, transferred or shared with others, (c) that the storage media bearing the recording is to be turned into the instructor, if he or she supplies it, by the end of the semester or, if the student provides his or her own storage media, the recording is to be erased or destroyed by the end of the semester and (d) that the use of the recording is to be limited to the student for whom the class was recorded and the semester in which the class was taught.

Looks to me like you're allowed to record only if you ask the professor and he agrees. Which, honestly is just good manners anyway. The bit about not sharing and destroying the recording without explicit permission seems a bit anal, but whatever.

I'm not sure if I'm going to record lectures or not (if permitted of course), because I don't know if the ability to refer back to discussion is going to outweigh the temptation I'd have to waste massive amounts of time going back through old recordings. What I think will happen is most profs will include a blurb in their syllabus granting permission to record, but nothing else (of course I'm just guessing here. If they do that, or if they don't say anything on the matter I'll probably send an email to each of my profs asking permission to record audio and video, and to share the recordings with classmates.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Teoeo wrote:Isn't that for grad students, not law students? look at the domain, no @law in it.

Since we can register for the base account, my guess is the gwmail account is the netid account we will primarily use and the @law is just a fancy email account for personal use. At least that's how it was at my undergrad where we could register for departmental email and printing services.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:33 pm

ApexChaser wrote:

Since we can register for the base account, my guess is the gwmail account is the netid account we will primarily use and the @law is just a fancy email account for personal use. At least that's how it was at my undergrad where we could register for departmental email and printing services.

But what about that section that says our admitted students blackboards will change over to the regular one? it doesn't seem like any action at all is required on our part and we already have our net ids.

Edit: After 5 phone calls, got Comcast internet for $20 a month for 12 months. Plus $5 a month for the modem rental. 16mbps down 24mbps up (I know, wtf... that seems odd but whatever). Free installation. Call one of the sketchy numbers on their site and ask to speak with a manager. Make them go through all the deals, just keeping being like "uhhh what else do you have?" and writing down anything that seems promising. My internet is technically 6mbps but they gave me a free 10mbps 'boost' for a year. No contract.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”