GW Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
GermX

Silver

Re: GW Class of 2013

Post by GermX » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Btw there is a Bally's total fitness right by our law school, its only $23 a month and its a great gym.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

GermX wrote:Btw there is a Bally's total fitness right by our law school, its only $23 a month and its a great gym.
My SO is signing up there, it looks like the best deal in the area (besides our paid-for GW gym dues).

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 pm

GermX wrote:Btw there is a Bally's total fitness right by our law school, its only $23 a month and its a great gym.
Bally's is cool for treadmills, ellipticals, and machines...I need a Gold's Gym or something, but right now I'm hoping the GW gym has decent barbell and free-weight areas. The Bally's in my area didn't even have any squat racks, the dumbbells only went up to 65's, and they had all of 2 bench presses that always had lines waiting to use 'em. Maybe the Bally's near the Aston is a bit more accommodating to strength lifting; anyone know for sure?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
Always Credited wrote: I'll go if there's any room left. I'm bringing the heavy hitters (desk, bed, ect) with me, and would only need to pick up the small things I'll inevitably forget to pack.
Cool. I also find I forget critical items when I pack. I think my "best" was forgetting my apartment keys at home when I went back for winterbreak... Epic fail. (thank goodness for roommates) :lol:

And what is up with the "back to school" tax-exemption list... Bookcases are not tax-exempt but corsets, fur coats, and bridal gowns are? :roll: =P
It looks like it's just clothes-esque things. Crap. I thought it was anything under $100 =(
Let's ditch MD for VA.

morg1693

New

Post by morg1693 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Is anyone living at the Columbia Plaza? Just moved in today!

Also, my friend just showed this article to me and I found it appropriate to share-

http://www.switched.com/2008/11/14/why- ... laptop?rss

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:21 am

About this gym situation, since its probably the only thing that's going to keep me sane during this ordeal...

Does anyone know anything about the GW gym? Stuff like size relative to the massive student population; state of, amount of, and types of equipment; do the sports teams use the gym; crowdedness?

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:41 am

sibley wrote:Anyone else being overcome by irrational fears at this point? Having made the wrong choice in a school? Just generally failing at life in the new situation?
<freaks>

Just trying to figure out how long it's going to take me to pay off loans and how many years out I can get my Aston Martin...only thing I'm worried about currently :D

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 am

Aston2412 wrote:
sibley wrote:Anyone else being overcome by irrational fears at this point? Having made the wrong choice in a school? Just generally failing at life in the new situation?
<freaks>

Just trying to figure out how long it's going to take me to pay off loans and how many years out I can get my Aston Martin...only thing I'm worried about currently :D
Just find a good cash cow to marry =D

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 am

morg1693 wrote:Is anyone living at the Columbia Plaza? Just moved in today!

Also, my friend just showed this article to me and I found it appropriate to share-

lol. I always wonder why people mess with law students/lawyers. Aren't we all the more likely to sue, and win? Or, apparently, beat people up?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:21 am

morg1693 wrote:Is anyone living at the Columbia Plaza? Just moved in today!

can't you carry in arizona?

i would have just opened fire on the fleshy parts of his thigh

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 am

Hey so regarding laptops, does GW Law install anything on ur laptop or is it just for note taking? I ask because I have a laptop that works fine but it recently had a minor monitor problem so who knows how long it could last...

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:09 am

As I understand it they have exam taking software that is compatible with PCs and recently Macs. Other than that I think all that matters is knowing how to log into their network. If your laptop is not reliable, however, I would for sure get a new one.

P.S. - They also have "minimum" specs available on their website if you log in through the portal.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am

Teoeo wrote:As I understand it they have exam taking software that is compatible with PCs and recently Macs. Other than that I think all that matters is knowing how to log into their network. If your laptop is not reliable, however, I would for sure get a new one.

P.S. - They also have "minimum" specs available on their website if you log in through the portal.
PPS. If you don't have the cash for a new one you can get a one-time 2k increase to your federal loans to cover it.

Also... this is the car I want after I graduate: --ImageRemoved--
Reasonably priced, cute, great mileage.

This is the car I want if I manage to get a paying summer job after 1L: Image

I like green.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:00 pm

DC's version of fresh express... free for your first delivery:

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Shopping-Help

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 pm

The car I want after graduation :mrgreen:

The car I'll get until I can afford the above:

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 pm

rejectmaster wrote: I thought I could just call comcast but they said they needed to have my driver license on file. my building is wired only for comcast unfortunately.. and they do come set it up. I'm getting the "performance package" for 30 a month down from 60 with a 30 dollar activation charge down from 100.

Sooooo I HATE comcast. They said that I could get that deal^ (plus $5 a month for modem rental) but I'd have to go into the store and do it. Because over the phone they charge $99 and there's no way out of it. And I explain to him that I'm in NY, moving in 3 days before orientation, need internet. He says I still have to go into the store. And that most likely they'll have to come out and install it for me even though the person who has the apt now has comcast. And that could take a few days but he doesn't really know how long. And I can't call the store directly because they don't have phones because 'it would take away from the in-person customer service' which is reasonable but... not when you can't do everything over the phone.

Trying RCN with the same deal. Also hate FIOS, for telling me last week I could get it in DC and changing their minds today.

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:41 pm

if it makes you feel any better comcast was supposed to come today for installation and they didn't show up at all.

also their office does have a phone number, its 202-832-2001

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 pm

rejectmaster wrote:if it makes you feel any better comcast was supposed to come today for installation and they didn't show up at all.

Woohoo thanks I'll try that number.

RCN was worse, if that's possible. I'm going to miss Time Warner. And my $30/mth 15mbps internet with basic cable and hd box.

edit: that number only works if you want to confirm someone works at comcast, that your bill is paid, or if you know your party's extension. poop.

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Aston2412 wrote:The car I want after graduation :mrgreen:

I'm going to have to side with Sibley on color choice. :P My dream car is an Aston, but it has to be British Racing Green. The one exception would be the James Bond DB5 in silver.

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:17 pm

sibley wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:if it makes you feel any better comcast was supposed to come today for installation and they didn't show up at all.

RCN was worse, if that's possible. I'm going to miss Time Warner. And my $30/mth 15mbps internet with basic cable and hd box.

edit: that number only works if you want to confirm someone works at comcast, that your bill is paid, or if you know your party's extension. poop.
dix

and you guys' car choices are absurd

this is my dream vehicle
--ImageRemoved--

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:50 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
sibley wrote:

dix

and you guys' car choices are absurd

this is my dream vehicle
--ImageRemoved--
what is it? is it from the 70s? should we be singing grease lightning and beach boys?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:56 pm

i'm not sure of the model year on that one but simulated wood paneling is always awesome

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:08 pm

I feel pretty lucky; Comcast actually showed up for me today (and only half an hour late!), and I think I'm getting a good deal, although I can't remember the specifics. I'm only getting internet, though.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Safeway delivery, Sibley, I've got a huge order being delivered tomorrow.

As for car after graduation, who needs a car when you can be the best dressed attorney on the subway?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I feel pretty lucky; Comcast actually showed up for me today (and only half an hour late!), and I think I'm getting a good deal, although I can't remember the specifics. I'm only getting internet, though.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Safeway delivery, Sibley, I've got a huge order being delivered tomorrow.

As for car after graduation, who needs a car when you can be the best dressed attorney on the subway?
I'm on the phone with comcast. So. Slow. RCN called me back and offered me a better deal but I wanted to see if I couldn't get comcast before I called RCN back since I've actually heard of comcast before... anyone have anything to say about RCN? I'm just doing internet too.

Glad you found the food delivery tip =)

edit: 20 minutes on phone with comcast. dude keeps putting me on hold. all he's done so far is gotten my new address and find out if I wanted cable or internet or what.

edit: 42 minutes. he's almost to my address now... only like 5 more floors of my building, then he'll be at mine...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 pm

After 45 minutes on the phone, plus 20 minutes previously, and the guy asking for my credit information before I even decided on a plan, and the comcast phone number on their website changing, I told the guy 'I have to go, bye' and hung up. But he offered me 12mbps at $20 for a year, with a $30 installation fee. And I told him the website said 15 and he said he had no idea about that. Maybe it's because of the powerboost but either way it just got too sketchy.

I'll call back tomorrow, ask for a manager, tell them the deal I was offered and the hour+ I spent on hold. I hear comcast is always sketchy, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”