GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 pm

GermX wrote:I have enough money to pay September's rent just in case, and I'll just give it back to myself from the financial aid, both for August and September. We should be getting the funds though, wtf..


I've got about half of rent, which may work out because I'm moving in midway through August so September's rent is prorated... I'd really rather not mess with moving money around though.

Are you guys switching banks? I have Chase, which isn't in DC. But I don't want to mess with switching (it's got my undergrad loans, and I like the Chase Freedom credit card). I also have Navy Federal, which doesn't charge for withdrawing from a lot of ATMs near GW, but which doesn't have any locations closer than Arlington. There's one in DC but you have to have military id and mine is expired... I think I'm just going to do it. I mean I'll only be depositing money once a semester probably.

GermX
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby GermX » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 pm

I've always been Citi bank and keeping them. I fooled them into keeping my undergrad student account active for 3 more years (told them GW law is a sophomore undergrad, don't know how they bought it but they did). yay. Citibank student account is awesome.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:41 pm

GermX wrote:I've always been Citi bank and keeping them. I fooled them into keeping my undergrad student account active for 3 more years (told them GW law is a sophomore undergrad, don't know how they bought it but they did). yay. Citibank student account is awesome.


chase hasn't threatened to cancel my student account yet. no idea what's up, but whatever.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby terpette » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm

ryguy wrote:Student accts states that it could be up to 14 days before they mail it. They will not give it to us.


where do you log on to this? Ahhh I feel like I know nothing!

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:26 pm

terpette wrote:
ryguy wrote:Student accts states that it could be up to 14 days before they mail it. They will not give it to us.


where do you log on to this? Ahhh I feel like I know nothing!


I was under the impression funds would be mailed slightly after the start of classes... so still before september.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Words of Warning -
I planned to try and get a Student ID today but instead thought it was more pressing to get internet service, so I went to comcast which is out by Catholic U in northeast, and that was about a 4 hour errand (bear this in mind.. it sucks a lot!), so I haven't even attempted to obtain a student ID card yet.

I will try again tomorrow to get a student ID so I can use the elliptical trainer backwards and commit turnovers in pickup basketball in the gym

of course I will let you know what happens.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 pm

rejectmaster wrote:Words of Warning -
I planned to try and get a Student ID today but instead thought it was more pressing to get internet service, so I went to comcast which is out by Catholic U in northeast, and that was about a 4 hour errand (bear this in mind.. it sucks a lot!), so I haven't even attempted to obtain a student ID card yet.

I will try again tomorrow to get a student ID so I can use the elliptical trainer backwards and commit turnovers in pickup basketball in the gym

of course I will let you know what happens.


Can't you just call comcast? Don't they come out and set it up like time warner? Any special deals going on? I'm leaning towards RCN because comcast is 12 bucks extra if you don't buy their cable...

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

sibley wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:Words of Warning -
I planned to try and get a Student ID today but instead thought it was more pressing to get internet service, so I went to comcast which is out by Catholic U in northeast, and that was about a 4 hour errand (bear this in mind.. it sucks a lot!), so I haven't even attempted to obtain a student ID card yet.

I will try again tomorrow to get a student ID so I can use the elliptical trainer backwards and commit turnovers in pickup basketball in the gym

of course I will let you know what happens.


Can't you just call comcast? Don't they come out and set it up like time warner? Any special deals going on? I'm leaning towards RCN because comcast is 12 bucks extra if you don't buy their cable...


I thought I could just call comcast but they said they needed to have my driver license on file. my building is wired only for comcast unfortunately.. and they do come set it up. I'm getting the "performance package" for 30 a month down from 60 with a 30 dollar activation charge down from 100.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:11 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
sibley wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:Words of Warning -
I planned to try and get a Student ID today but instead thought it was more pressing to get internet service, so I went to comcast which is out by Catholic U in northeast, and that was about a 4 hour errand (bear this in mind.. it sucks a lot!), so I haven't even attempted to obtain a student ID card yet.

I will try again tomorrow to get a student ID so I can use the elliptical trainer backwards and commit turnovers in pickup basketball in the gym

of course I will let you know what happens.


Can't you just call comcast? Don't they come out and set it up like time warner? Any special deals going on? I'm leaning towards RCN because comcast is 12 bucks extra if you don't buy their cable...


I thought I could just call comcast but they said they needed to have my driver license on file. my building is wired only for comcast unfortunately.. and they do come set it up. I'm getting the "performance package" for 30 a month down from 60 with a 30 dollar activation charge down from 100.


That's much more reasonable. Did you call to get the deal? That's what I pay for my time warner now... it comes with free basic cable and we got them to give us an hd set top box too. the online prices are ridiculous comparatively. I hate calling and bargaining.

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ryguy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:33 pm

There is a form online, that you can print out and fill in, to be turned into the student account office, on the first day of class.....so then they enter the information, then snail mail a check. Then there is the bank "holding" of the funds, which can range from 3 to 8 business days. Even if you are a customer. It would be so much easier to have GW do a direct deposit into our checking accounts.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:35 pm

I spoke to a rep who did nothing and the lady at the office asked me if i had been offered a deal so i just made one up. hopefully they don't catch on, they are so poorly organized and inefficient that if they catch it, it'll be next year

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:54 pm

rejectmaster wrote:I spoke to a rep who did nothing and the lady at the office asked me if i had been offered a deal so i just made one up. hopefully they don't catch on, they are so poorly organized and inefficient that if they catch it, it'll be next year


Lol this is perfect. I'm gonna try it and add in basic cable... thats only like $10 a month anyway so they might give it to me for free. TW was the same way. We had a 'real' deal but the lady at the store just checked the online notes when we went to pick up our HD settop box. I'm sure we could have been like "oh, well that's what he told us" and just suggested the dude didn't write it in the notes...

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:26 pm

best of luck.. i don't think the employees really care so just make up some garbage and i bet they'll accept it

also there is a survey for the GW law mentoring program if anyone wants to fill it out (lifted from the facebook group)

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Dionysus
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:52 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Dionysus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:also i just moved into my apartment and i'll probably be doing nothing but going to 7-11 and trying to get a student id for gym and library access.. i went to college nearby so i know the area decently and did my new place exploring a while ago

if anyone is down for a monster rot session let me know.. i'd like to meet some people before academic scheduling determines friendships

I'd be interested to know how much luck you have getting the student ID. Let us know how it goes!


I just tried to get my id today and the employee who was working there said that I wasn't registered for classes yet, so I couldn't get it. I'm hoping that they register us sometime before orientation, because I would really like to utilize the gym when I move in.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Dionysus wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:also i just moved into my apartment and i'll probably be doing nothing but going to 7-11 and trying to get a student id for gym and library access.. i went to college nearby so i know the area decently and did my new place exploring a while ago

if anyone is down for a monster rot session let me know.. i'd like to meet some people before academic scheduling determines friendships

I'd be interested to know how much luck you have getting the student ID. Let us know how it goes!


I just tried to get my id today and the employee who was working there said that I wasn't registered for classes yet, so I couldn't get it. I'm hoping that they register us sometime before orientation, because I would really like to utilize the gym when I move in.


This is what I'm thinking is going to happen until right before orientation. I wonder when they'll register us but I think it mayyyy be last minute. If they've assigned us our sections yet that's a start, but if they're waiting to give us our courses until orientation that suggests they want us to utilize the bookstore. They've said they're updating our blackboard to the student (not admitted) version sometime this month. They've suggested it'll happen before orientation. When they do that, if we're registered, it will have our courses. If they do it before orientation and we're registered we'll be able to see our courses and buy our books ahead of time.

But, really... I think all of this will happen at the same time and they're not out to finagle us into using the bookstore. And I think it'll happen very slightly before orientation. Maybe the previous Thursday or Friday, so they can make sure everything's working.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Dionysus wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:also i just moved into my apartment and i'll probably be doing nothing but going to 7-11 and trying to get a student id for gym and library access.. i went to college nearby so i know the area decently and did my new place exploring a while ago

if anyone is down for a monster rot session let me know.. i'd like to meet some people before academic scheduling determines friendships

I'd be interested to know how much luck you have getting the student ID. Let us know how it goes!


I just tried to get my id today and the employee who was working there said that I wasn't registered for classes yet, so I couldn't get it. I'm hoping that they register us sometime before orientation, because I would really like to utilize the gym when I move in.


Me too, man...me too.

rejectmaster
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:36 pm

that sucks.

this means that i really have absolutely nothing to do for about 3 weeks

monster rot

User avatar
ApexChaser
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ApexChaser » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:17 am

sibley wrote:
GermX wrote:I've always been Citi bank and keeping them. I fooled them into keeping my undergrad student account active for 3 more years (told them GW law is a sophomore undergrad, don't know how they bought it but they did). yay. Citibank student account is awesome.


chase hasn't threatened to cancel my student account yet. no idea what's up, but whatever.


Chase surreptitiously changed my student account to a normal account at some point. My college->normal accounts are weird with random fee exemptions. *shrugs* Looking at proximity to GW, I'll probably use Wells Fargo in case I need cash from an ATM.

Also, I'm thinking maybe an IKEA-zipcar run on the 14th to catch the end of tax free week?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:22 am

ApexChaser wrote:Also, I'm thinking maybe an IKEA-zipcar run on the 14th to catch the end of tax free week?


I can't =( I'm not moving in until then. You guys should go without me. I want to try to go that day in order to take advantage of the discount (but do you think it'll cover it if we spend over $100? I know that anything under 100 is tax free... but I'm wondering if we combine them on one receipt what will happen). I'm moving in at 2pm, though. So if I can I'm going to try to sneak over there by 7 or 8. I have a list of what I want so I don't need THAT much time even though I'd love to shop around (I've only been to Ikea once in my life.. in Austria, in 2004). But if that doesn't work out, VA tax is always 2% less than MD and the VA Ikea is only a 10 minute further drive.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Anyone else being overcome by irrational fears at this point? Having made the wrong choice in a school? Just generally failing at life in the new situation?
<freaks>

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 pm

sibley wrote:Anyone else being overcome by irrational fears at this point? Having made the wrong choice in a school? Just generally failing at life in the new situation?
<freaks>

Nope. Solid as a rock. I'm going to the best school I got into, which happens to be a very good school in a great city. I couldn't ask for anything more.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Always Credited » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:05 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:
GermX wrote:I've always been Citi bank and keeping them. I fooled them into keeping my undergrad student account active for 3 more years (told them GW law is a sophomore undergrad, don't know how they bought it but they did). yay. Citibank student account is awesome.


chase hasn't threatened to cancel my student account yet. no idea what's up, but whatever.


Chase surreptitiously changed my student account to a normal account at some point. My college->normal accounts are weird with random fee exemptions. *shrugs* Looking at proximity to GW, I'll probably use Wells Fargo in case I need cash from an ATM.

Also, I'm thinking maybe an IKEA-zipcar run on the 14th to catch the end of tax free week?


I'll go if there's any room left. I'm bringing the heavy hitters (desk, bed, ect) with me, and would only need to pick up the small things I'll inevitably forget to pack.

User avatar
ApexChaser
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ApexChaser » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:06 pm

sibley wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:Also, I'm thinking maybe an IKEA-zipcar run on the 14th to catch the end of tax free week?


I can't =( I'm not moving in until then. You guys should go without me. I want to try to go that day in order to take advantage of the discount (but do you think it'll cover it if we spend over $100? I know that anything under 100 is tax free... but I'm wondering if we combine them on one receipt what will happen). I'm moving in at 2pm, though. So if I can I'm going to try to sneak over there by 7 or 8. I have a list of what I want so I don't need THAT much time even though I'd love to shop around (I've only been to Ikea once in my life.. in Austria, in 2004). But if that doesn't work out, VA tax is always 2% less than MD and the VA Ikea is only a 10 minute further drive.


I'm fine going that night (Ikea closes at 9) or doing it on one of the following days. The bookcase is all I want but turns out it isn't even on the tax-exempt list. I didn't know there was a specific list of approved items. http://www.comp.state.md.us/shopmd/List-of-taxable-exempt-items.pdf As long as the individual item on the list is under $100 it's good to go.

sibley wrote:Anyone else being overcome by irrational fears at this point? Having made the wrong choice in a school? Just generally failing at life in the new situation?
<freaks>


Not overcome with, but the possibility of failing at first semester and dooming my legal career from the get-go is in the back of my mind. More incentive to not fail. :P

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Always Credited » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm

ApexChaser wrote:Not overcome with, but the possibility of failing at first semester and dooming my legal career from the get-go is in the back of my mind. More incentive to not fail. :P



pshhh...gunner :wink:

User avatar
ApexChaser
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ApexChaser » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Always Credited wrote:I'll go if there's any room left. I'm bringing the heavy hitters (desk, bed, ect) with me, and would only need to pick up the small things I'll inevitably forget to pack.


Cool. I also find I forget critical items when I pack. I think my "best" was forgetting my apartment keys at home when I went back for winterbreak... Epic fail. (thank goodness for roommates) :lol:

And what is up with the "back to school" tax-exemption list... Bookcases are not tax-exempt but corsets, fur coats, and bridal gowns are? :roll: =P




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest