GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Encyclopedia Brown

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:42 am

Sibley, why would your mom suggest that you not read GTM?

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:52 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Sibley, why would your mom suggest that you not read GTM?

Nothing about the book itself - Because whenever I try to learn and do something the 'right' way I end up failing miserably. For example, I took an LSAT course and got the same score I'd gotten when I went into it cold. I didn't study for a month (just did 1 practice test), retook, and raised my score 12 points. She thinks I'm better off staying safe inside my own head. Just in case.

terpette

Postby terpette » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:05 am

Finally secured an overpriced studio in Dupont. At this point though, I'm just glad I'm not homeless!

madootz

Postby madootz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Hey future classmates! Anyone need an IKEA love seat? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10138530 Message me...I will cut you a deal for cheap. See you in August!

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Hey Aston, I'm renting on Columbia Rd. right off of Connecticut Ave. (basically Adams-Morgan/Dupont Circle area) for $1350 a month, a nice big 600 sq ft. studio. Not bad I think, since I'm in the city (Virginia is nice, but nah I like being in the city).

Anyways, I wanted to ask, so when is financial aid actually given to us finally?

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:36 pm

That's not bad at all. Are you in an apartment complex or renting from a private owner?

I liked to Dupont area but I felt like Adams Morgan was a little too inaccessible by metro.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Yeah Germy that's a nice price. I also decided to pick easy access over cost/amenities. At least for the first year.

I hope we have our money by Sept 1 (rent, you know...) and we should. They're supposed to be disbursing it shortly after the start of classes.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Is anyone living in the Jefferson House? If so, when are you moving in?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:11 am

Hey, is anyone planning on getting a zipcar card? It looks pretty awesome!

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:25 am

Teoeo wrote:Hey, is anyone planning on getting a zipcar card? It looks pretty awesome!

Gonna borrow my brother's.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:03 am

Aston2412 wrote:
Teoeo wrote:Hey, is anyone planning on getting a zipcar card? It looks pretty awesome!

Gonna borrow my brother's.

I'm considering it. They had them at my undergrad. They're reasonable... if you have somewhere you really need to go. Especially if you can go there after midnight, when they're cheapest. And you can use any one anywhere, which is nice.

Anyone getting Amazon Prime? I like the new student option =)

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:36 am

Definitely getting Amazon Prime as soon as I get a school e-mail address. I wish I'd had it this summer; I would've saved a lot of money already. I'm a little worried that there won't be much time between getting our schedules and when classes start to hunt online for the best deals on casebooks/supplements and get them in time. Surely this won't be a problem, right?

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Definitely getting Amazon Prime as soon as I get a school e-mail address. I wish I'd had it this summer; I would've saved a lot of money already. I'm a little worried that there won't be much time between getting our schedules and when classes start to hunt online for the best deals on casebooks/supplements and get them in time. Surely this won't be a problem, right?

The thing about amazon prime is that it applies almost exclusively to items in amazon's warehouses and only a small amount of pre-owned sellers who operate out of an amazon warehouse.

so, amazon generally has better prices than your bookstore, but most used options won't be eligible for the quick shipping.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 am

rejectmaster wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Definitely getting Amazon Prime as soon as I get a school e-mail address. I wish I'd had it this summer; I would've saved a lot of money already. I'm a little worried that there won't be much time between getting our schedules and when classes start to hunt online for the best deals on casebooks/supplements and get them in time. Surely this won't be a problem, right?

The thing about amazon prime is that it applies almost exclusively to items in amazon's warehouses and only a small amount of pre-owned sellers who operate out of an amazon warehouse.

so, amazon generally has better prices than your bookstore, but most used options won't be eligible for the quick shipping.

Yeah. I considered purchasing prime and didn't find it worth it. Using it for food isn't even an option because their prices are quite high. Buttt now that it's free it'll be nice to get my meaningless stuff quickly, at least.

Also, for books try bookfinder.com. It searches all the small/independent sellers so you can find the best deals. I worked at a book store in high school and we used it to check our prices.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:31 am

rejectmaster wrote:

That's okay. Like sibley said, it's free.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

That's not bad at all. Are you in an apartment complex or renting from a private owner?

I liked to Dupont area but I felt like Adams Morgan was a little too inaccessible by metro.

Well, its a private owner but the building has a manager etc.. and operates just like an apartment would. It's really a great place, and the dupont metro is a 5 minute walk away (I am bringing my car with me though).

Anyone know any cheap parking options by school?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:44 pm

GermX wrote:

Well, its a private owner but the building has a manager etc.. and operates just like an apartment would. It's really a great place, and the dupont metro is a 5 minute walk away (I am bringing my car with me though).

Anyone know any cheap parking options by school?

A lot of the condo owners rent their parking spaces out to people who work nearby. I think you could easily work out a deal to use their spots on evenings and weekends with someone, but during the week all I know of is the $16/day garage parking or the meters. Meters are free on Sundays around the school and on Saturdays on a few streets.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Meh. Help: Major event at my undergrad October 14-17. Per GW website October 18th reading period, 1L midterms on October 19th, then 20th-22nd fall recess.

REALLY want to go. I mean I guess I can do it... realistically I doubt I'll be cramming all weekend anyway. But if I skipped the event and instead went after midterms I could stay for 5 whole days!

Does anyone have any idea what 1L midterms are like? Do we have lots of them? Or is it just like the random class?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:00 pm

sibley wrote:Meh. Help: Major event at my undergrad October 14-17. Per GW website October 18th reading period, 1L midterms on October 19th, then 20th-22nd fall recess.

REALLY want to go. I mean I guess I can do it... realistically I doubt I'll be cramming all weekend anyway. But if I skipped the event and instead went after midterms I could stay for 5 whole days!

Does anyone have any idea what 1L midterms are like? Do we have lots of them? Or is it just like the random class?

Ya, I was curious about the midterms too....

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:10 pm

sibley wrote:Meh. Help: Major event at my undergrad October 14-17. Per GW website October 18th reading period, 1L midterms on October 19th, then 20th-22nd fall recess.

From what I understand, midterms are given at the professor's discretion on a class-by-class basis.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:18 pm

My tour guides for preview day made it seem like there would only be one midterm in one class. That sort of makes sense given that there's only one day allocated for the "midterm exams."

...but I really have no idea.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Man come on, forget about the undergrad event, 1L midterms=more important. Go after the midterms.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:53 pm

GermX wrote:Man come on, forget about the undergrad event, 1L midterms=more important. Go after the midterms.

Hey, quit ruining the curve! :wink: I'm pretty sure everyone has a midterm in their one small-classroom substantive course, so this will be a different course for several of us.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
GermX wrote:Man come on, forget about the undergrad event, 1L midterms=more important. Go after the midterms.

Hey, quit ruining the curve! :wink: I'm pretty sure everyone has a midterm in their one small-classroom substantive course, so this will be a different course for several of us.

You guys think that's the only one? That'd be very reasonable for me to do.

Anyway it's not just some undergrad event! it's a huge deal and Sanjay Gupta is coming, not to mention all of my friends (who I otherwise won't see for at least another year... if I'd gone to a more regional school I guess I wouldn't have these problems), plus my boyfriend... etc. It's a very appealing weekend for me.

Sooooo zip car carpool to ikea? Anyone??

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Anyone have any idea when we will get schedules, section assignments, book lists, etc?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”