GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ApexChaser

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ApexChaser » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:27 pm

sibley wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:On a side note, has anyone gotten their loan stuff in order? I did the GWeb, Interview, and MPN a long while ago but my status has yet to update to complete.

I did all of those things, got a letter in the mail saying I was approved for GradPLUS, and e-mailed my financial aid officer to make sure I had done everything. She said I was good to go.

Hmm... I'm all good except for the "entrance counseling" on studentloans. I completed it in April, but GW has not received it notice yet. I guess I'll give it another week and then call studentloans.

Are you sure you filled out everything? I believe there are two separate entrance counseling sessions.

Yes and no?? :? Paranoid-me called studentloans and they confirmed my paperwork is complete. They said it was a school issue as the completed information is available for viewing. That I am in the minority does have me worried I overlooked something though. However, the one counseling session I have was for "DLP - Direct Loans Sub/Unsub/Perkins with GradPLUS Loan Type." We'll see what the school says, I guess. :|

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Everything now says either "Requirement recd and satisfied," "Requirement waived for student," or "Signed."

whew. I've just kinda flown by the seat of my pants on this stuff and kept forgetting to check if I'd done everything properly. My brain is in full-on summer mode at the moment.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Ugh it says entrance counseling isnt done, but it IS!
Last edited by Teoeo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Is anyone else planning on biking to get around at all? I've always had a car, so living in dc without one is going to be a bit of an adjustment. I'll be living in the Aston which is really only a 10-15 minute walk to school, but I figured it would be nice to be able to bike it in a few minutes. Does anyone know how easy it is to find place to lock the bike up on campus?

cranberrie

Postby cranberrie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Same boat here...I completed the entrance counseling (both) a while ago yet it still says that the requirement is established but not indicated that it is fulfilled.

I emailed my financial aid counselor and she said they have all the requirements marked as satisfied so....I don't think all the systems communicate all the time.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm

cranberrie wrote:Same boat here...I completed the entrance counseling (both) a while ago yet it still says that the requirement is established but not indicated that it is fulfilled.

I emailed my financial aid counselor and she said they have all the requirements marked as satisfied so....I don't think all the systems communicate all the time.

Thank god, XD

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

lawschoolftw wrote:Is anyone else planning on biking to get around at all? I've always had a car, so living in dc without one is going to be a bit of an adjustment. I'll be living in the Aston which is really only a 10-15 minute walk to school, but I figured it would be nice to be able to bike it in a few minutes. Does anyone know how easy it is to find place to lock the bike up on campus?

I'm bringing my bike. My apartment is a 2-3 minute walk from the law school but I'd like to bike around and explore for fun and casual exercise. Coming from NY means I can use my bike a lot longer than I'm used to =)

There are bike racks on campus. I don't think they're overly crowded but they are used. I assume they're not crowded because students park their Vespas there as well and GW Parking has said this is ok. Once in a while it'll probably be annoying, but you can always attach the bike to a street sign for the day. I know there's a rack by the basement entrance to that building with the the bookstore in it, and I know there's one right next to the law school... right on the inside of that archway that separates the law school from the ug.

also, people on the fordham thread are having trouble with the entrance counseling showing up too.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:31 am

Got in town on Monday and have seen 11 apartments since then. Yesterday went pretty well as I was looking out in Crystal City at some older buildings. Today was a huge disappointment as I moved into the district to try and find that perfectly priced high-rise I've long desired (at the expense of sq. footage of course).

Well I've come to realize that just because an apartment has listed its studios as starting in the 1400s that probably means they have one studio in the 1400s and it's been rented for the past 9 years consecutively but they have several nice (read small) studios in the upper 1700s with a great view of the city (read of a brick wall). Ultimately I think if I had been able to start looking sooner I could have found what I wanted and cheaper too - everyone's been telling me that this is their busiest season and rentals have started to dwindle quickly.

I've found a few promising options so far, those being River House over in Pentagon City with a whopping 570 sq ft at the reasonable price of 1419 with some great amenities (especially access to Pentagon Row). Of course that was available on Monday which means it's probably gone by now.

There's also The Buchanan over in Crystal City which is about the same price and space wise but has the advantage of a rooftop pool and a room that comes equipped with French doors to divide the "bedroom" from the "living room." I feel like it's a tiny bit further to the metro is my only concern.

I saw the Statesman over on campus and was fairly underwhelmed for the price. It's convenient but I'd rather have bigger with a bit better of a view.

There's also a super-secret ultra awesome place that I'm looking at a block from campus that I shall not reveal lest any of you who are still homeless try to snipe it.

Tomorrow I'm looking at The Elise (near campus), a property in Dupont (large and recently renovated) and am going to continue my search for a reasonably priced high-rise in Ballston and Rosslyn, hoping that their VA location will reduce the rent. My dream apartment is a nice 11th+ floor with big windows, space and long-metro ride be damned! If anyone knows of anywhere like that west of the Capitol let me know (preferably for under 1600)!

Sorry for the massive post but I needed to vent after a disappointing day!

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:53 am

For those of you living in the Aston and wondering about when you're getting housing assignments... I received this email in response to my own inquiry about it.

....I hope your summer is going well.

I believe that the GW Housing Office aims to get out all housing assignments, along with move-in information, to incoming Aston residents this week. So that information should be forthcoming.

Keep in touch if there's anything more you need. I am glad to help.

Matthew

700 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20052
Tel: (202) 994-7231
Fax: (202) 994-3597
mdillard@law.gwu.edu
http://www.law.gwu.edu/admissions

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:18 am

Aston2412 wrote:Got in town on Monday and have seen 11 apartments since then. Yesterday went pretty well as I was looking out in Crystal City at some older buildings. Today was a huge disappointment as I moved into the district to try and find that perfectly priced high-rise I've long desired (at the expense of sq. footage of course).

Well I've come to realize that just because an apartment has listed its studios as starting in the 1400s that probably means they have one studio in the 1400s and it's been rented for the past 9 years consecutively but they have several nice (read small) studios in the upper 1700s with a great view of the city (read of a brick wall). Ultimately I think if I had been able to start looking sooner I could have found what I wanted and cheaper too - everyone's been telling me that this is their busiest season and rentals have started to dwindle quickly.

I've found a few promising options so far, those being River House over in Pentagon City with a whopping 570 sq ft at the reasonable price of 1419 with some great amenities (especially access to Pentagon Row). Of course that was available on Monday which means it's probably gone by now.

There's also The Buchanan over in Crystal City which is about the same price and space wise but has the advantage of a rooftop pool and a room that comes equipped with French doors to divide the "bedroom" from the "living room." I feel like it's a tiny bit further to the metro is my only concern.

I saw the Statesman over on campus and was fairly underwhelmed for the price. It's convenient but I'd rather have bigger with a bit better of a view.

There's also a super-secret ultra awesome place that I'm looking at a block from campus that I shall not reveal lest any of you who are still homeless try to snipe it.

Tomorrow I'm looking at The Elise (near campus), a property in Dupont (large and recently renovated) and am going to continue my search for a reasonably priced high-rise in Ballston and Rosslyn, hoping that their VA location will reduce the rent. My dream apartment is a nice 11th+ floor with big windows, space and long-metro ride be damned! If anyone knows of anywhere like that west of the Capitol let me know (preferably for under 1600)!

Sorry for the massive post but I needed to vent after a disappointing day!

Good luck with your search! I've already signed my lease, but I'm intrigued by the super-secret ultra awesome place. Is there an arcade in the laundry room? Free pizza on weekdays? In-unit hot tubs? What's the deal?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:08 am

Just got my room # in an email.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 am

I called housing and got my room assignment. Housing states they will resend email, that alot of people never got.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:13 am

yeah, i've still heard nothing. laaame.

oh christ, yes i did. but they sent it to my old e-mail which is being discontinued today, i believe.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 am

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 pm

I didn't get the initial Aston email either, but got the followup. I'm on the 6th floor.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 pm

4th floor... Does anyone think that our loan excess loan proceeds should be directly deposited into our bank accounts? We are paying interest on those proceeds from the day they are dispersed.

terpette

Postby terpette » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:28 pm

soooo....I'm without housing and will be away Sunday- Friday. anyone know of places in Foggy Bottom (10-12 min walk from the law school) that are still available? obviously willing to live in a studio but would LOVE a 1br. :) just let me know if you know of anything haha

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 pm

terpette wrote:soooo....I'm without housing and will be away Sunday- Friday. anyone know of places in Foggy Bottom (10-12 min walk from the law school) that are still available? obviously willing to live in a studio but would LOVE a 1br. :) just let me know if you know of anything haha

You should definitely check out The Elise and possibly The Savoy. The Savoy I didn't look at but what I saw in the Elise was fairly nice, fairly reasonable and right next to campus.

I've decided my fortunes lie across the river in good ole Arlington but I just got an e-mail from one of the leasing agents saying that two of the apartments that I looked at today and liked had been rented in the 3 business hours left in the day after I saw him. I'm going to sign my lease before 12 tomorrow. Wish me good luck! (the magical place I thought I had found was a condo in the President Condominiums and unfortunately the space didn't mean the floor plan representation).

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
terpette wrote:soooo....I'm without housing and will be away Sunday- Friday. anyone know of places in Foggy Bottom (10-12 min walk from the law school) that are still available? obviously willing to live in a studio but would LOVE a 1br. :) just let me know if you know of anything haha

You should definitely check out The Elise and possibly The Savoy. The Savoy I didn't look at but what I saw in the Elise was fairly nice, fairly reasonable and right next to campus.

I've decided my fortunes lie across the river in good ole Arlington but I just got an e-mail from one of the leasing agents saying that two of the apartments that I looked at today and liked had been rented in the 3 business hours left in the day after I saw him. I'm going to sign my lease before 12 tomorrow. Wish me good luck! (the magical place I thought I had found was a condo in the President Condominiums and unfortunately the space didn't mean the floor plan representation).

I also liked the Elise. But if you can get a unit in Letterman House instead you're better off... closer to campus and nice kitchens (Elise kitchens are literally from the 60s). Also anyone still looking for an apartment PM me as I know someone who just renovated theirs and hasn't rented it yet. I forget which building it's in but it's near to campus.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Living at River House over in Pentagon City this year. First place I saw earlier this week, liked it but wanted to see more, went back today and they had a new floorplan open up with a view of Pentagon City - signed then and there.

For anyone who wants a magnificent view the Lenox over on the border of PC / Crystal City has an AMAZING view of DC but the rent is 1550 (or was as of today) for 500 square feet and an older kitchen. If I hadn't been going into River House I would have been at the Lenox. It looks dated from the outside but the interior is actually very nice.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Is anyone else getting excited/nervous right about now?!?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Teoeo wrote:Is anyone else getting excited/nervous right about now?!?

Definitely both. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it all; some of the biggest adjustments in my life are happening all at the same time. Cleaning and moving stuff out of my house makes the transition period all the more poignant.

To be fair, I'm helping my roommates move THEIR stuff out of the house. I'm of the "throw the junk away and move on" persuasion.

terpette

Postby terpette » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:33 pm

me! I feel like there's a lot of stuff I need to be doing that I'm not.... :-/

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:37 pm

terpette wrote:

me! I feel like there's a lot of stuff I need to be doing that I'm not.... :-/

because of your post I spent an hour starting Getting to Maybe.... hahah

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:32 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Definitely both. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it all; some of the biggest adjustments in my life are happening all at the same time. Cleaning and moving stuff out of my house makes the transition period all the more poignant.

To be fair, I'm helping my roommates move THEIR stuff out of the house. I'm of the "throw the junk away and move on" persuasion.

I'm getting excited but am dreading being away from my boyfriend. I live with him now and had a hard enough time with him going away this weekend... it's the first time I've been away from him for more than just a work day in several months. My mom told me this would happen if we lived together. I'd either be miserable because we'd break up or I'd be miserable because I'd get so attached. Meh.

Also... I didn't read getting to maybe. My mom suggested I don't.... I may listen to her this time =P

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”