GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ApexChaser

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ApexChaser » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:34 pm

sibley wrote:
td6624 wrote:
sibley wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Section 15 sounds tempting, but I think I'll stick to the regular schedule. I'd rather be reading all afternoon/evening than all morning.

I'd rather read all morning but I'm not confident I'd actually get up and do it if I didn't have to get up for something else first.

Exactly. I saw "NO FRIDAY CLASSES" and almost replied to the e-mail immediately... but then I actually thought about it. I would not do very well with it.

Is it safe to assume that all those spots will be filled with people who request it? If not, do they just pick students randomly to fill it out?

Good question. I'd think that more people would want it than are spots, but who knows (especially since we all seem to not)

Also, anyone know the time frame for the other classes? Earliest start/latest finish?

I downloaded a course schedule which showed a possible 8:50am start and 8:50pm finish for 1L fall courses. Can't find the link on the new GW webpage though.

From the email, it seems we get assigned to normal Mon-Fri sections if we don't volunteer for 15. Also not opting in for 15.

On a side note, has anyone gotten their loan stuff in order? I did the GWeb, Interview, and MPN a long while ago but my status has yet to update to complete.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:28 am

ApexChaser wrote:On a side note, has anyone gotten their loan stuff in order? I did the GWeb, Interview, and MPN a long while ago but my status has yet to update to complete.

I did all of those things, got a letter in the mail saying I was approved for GradPLUS, and e-mailed my financial aid officer to make sure I had done everything. She said I was good to go.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:On a side note, has anyone gotten their loan stuff in order? I did the GWeb, Interview, and MPN a long while ago but my status has yet to update to complete.

I did all of those things, got a letter in the mail saying I was approved for GradPLUS, and e-mailed my financial aid officer to make sure I had done everything. She said I was good to go.

I also got the grad plus letter, but that was all. Any one buying academic supplies yet? If so what?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm

ryguy wrote:I also got the grad plus letter, but that was all. Any one buying academic supplies yet? If so what?

Ordered a new backpack and a laptop sleeve the other day, but nothing else yet. I still need to get an external hard drive (or figure out what else I'm doing for backup storage). Any tech-savvy people know the safest/most effective way to back up a bunch of data?

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm not doing section 15. I really want to meet people and make lots of friends in D.C. and I think a lot of people older than I am would be in section 15.

terpette

Postby terpette » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:47 pm

ryguy wrote:I also got the grad plus letter, but that was all. Any one buying academic supplies yet? If so what?

Ordered a new backpack and a laptop sleeve the other day, but nothing else yet. I still need to get an external hard drive (or figure out what else I'm doing for backup storage). Any tech-savvy people know the safest/most effective way to back up a bunch of data?

curious about this too. also, I love your picture. Washington, Washington....

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Anyone else registered for the student health insurance yet? I'm a little annoyed that Aetna wants me to charge the entire annual premium RIGHT NOW ... Maybe I'll wait a few weeks so interest won't accrue before I get my loan refund. Annoying. I swear my undergrad billed this each term to your student account before refunding any $$.

Also, anyone else living in Columbia Heights with me?

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:30 pm

dudders wrote:Anyone else registered for the student health insurance yet? I'm a little annoyed that Aetna wants me to charge the entire annual premium RIGHT NOW ... Maybe I'll wait a few weeks so interest won't accrue before I get my loan refund. Annoying. I swear my undergrad billed this each term to your student account before refunding any $$.

I'm staying on my mom's insurance (LOVE that new law) but am looking for dental... is there any option for that through the school?

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:06 pm

dudders wrote:Anyone else registered for the student health insurance yet? I'm a little annoyed that Aetna wants me to charge the entire annual premium RIGHT NOW ... Maybe I'll wait a few weeks so interest won't accrue before I get my loan refund. Annoying. I swear my undergrad billed this each term to your student account before refunding any $$.

Yeah, that was annoying. For the poster above who asked about dental, you can get that through Aetna as well. It's cheap, but not the best coverage if you need anything expensive done.

And yes to Columbia Heights! (Well, hopefully yes.)

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 am

dood wrote:PSA: DO NOT GET GW HEALTH INSURANCE. I am seriously 1 step away from suing for malpractice.

Can you be a little more specific? Did they screw you on coverage? Costs? I'm looking for a good, cheap option (I realize those two things are usually in conflict), and I had high hopes for the student insurance.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Hmm... I'm all good except for the "entrance counseling" on studentloans. I completed it in April, but GW has not received it notice yet. I guess I'll give it another week and then call studentloans.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:17 pm

There are tons of online storage options at very reasonable rates. People at my old work really liked Carbonite.

I'm just going Raid 1 (one hard drive is an exact duplicate of another). I've got two Western Digital MyBook Studio II's that I'm running in Raid1. There are some minor sleep/wakeup issues with these drives but otherwise it's relatively cheap and super simple protection.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:24 am

ApexChaser wrote:

There are tons of online storage options at very reasonable rates. People at my old work really liked Carbonite.

I'm just going Raid 1 (one hard drive is an exact duplicate of another). I've got two Western Digital MyBook Studio II's that I'm running in Raid1. There are some minor sleep/wakeup issues with these drives but otherwise it's relatively cheap and super simple protection.

I'm just going to use my old huge bulky external hard drive with Time Machine. Anyone know anything about time machine? all I know is when I plugged my new mac into my old hard drive it started. And I assume it will save all my stuff for me?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:35 am

After reading some reviews, I think I'm going to go with Mozy to back up my class notes, outlines, etc. I don't have anything else on my Macbook I want to protect, so MozyHome's free 2GB should be fine. If not, I guess I'll end up buying the full version.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:30 pm

is there an exact date our loans will be disbursed? I'm poor and am not looking forward to attempting to pay September's rent until they are...

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:38 pm

sibley wrote:is there an exact date our loans will be disbursed? I'm poor and am not looking forward to attempting to pay September's rent until they are...

From the admitted students portal:
Loans will be disbursed a few days before classes begin, and we will post the exact date for disbursement as it gets closer. Any additional refund will be in the form of a check, so please make sure you have time for the check to clear.

So I guess no exact date yet, but you should be fine for September's rent.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:45 pm

sibley wrote:is there an exact date our loans will be disbursed? I'm poor and am not looking forward to attempting to pay September's rent until they are...

From the admitted students portal:
Loans will be disbursed a few days before classes begin, and we will post the exact date for disbursement as it gets closer. Any additional refund will be in the form of a check, so please make sure you have time for the check to clear.

So I guess no exact date yet, but you should be fine for September's rent.

hallelujah! wasn't looking forward to borrowing from my mom. will they just be giving us checks? like mailed to us or what? I hope we have to pick them up because I have a feeling mailing won't work out so hot for a lot of us. as in, they'd go to the wrong states...

also, if anyone's looking for an apt there's one newly renovated in the Monroe that's still available. It's on the 8th floor and has newly repainted/refinished/repaired everything. The kitchen and bath (minus the floors and walls) are old, but it's a big unit and it has 2 parking spots. The owners rent them out but if you asked I think they'd give you one (if they charge I think it'd be less than the rate they usually do). It's owned by an attorney and his wife.
Last edited by sibley on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Not opting in to section 15.

Really hoping I get a class schedule that has me in class from around 10 to 4. Anything before 10 means I'll miss at least 3 classes a semester. At least.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:58 pm

when is everyone moving down.. we should meet up and see if the law building has nice bathrooms

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 am

Any refund checks are mailed, no pick up allowed. There is a form to be filled out by student accounts. You must fill it out and return it to the student acount office.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:16 pm

sibley wrote:I'm just going to use my old huge bulky external hard drive with Time Machine. Anyone know anything about time machine? all I know is when I plugged my new mac into my old hard drive it started. And I assume it will save all my stuff for me?

Time Machine will save your stuff, but it only syncs your files once an hour. Odds are this is more than adequate, but there is the possibility of losing data if you encounter problems before the next scheduled sync. This potential problem of syncing frequency will exist for most backup methods aside from running multiple hard drives in RAID.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Anyone know anything about The Townhomes on Capitol Hill?

They have 1 bedrooms listed as below 1000 and 2 bedrooms for 1000-1600. I've always liked the idea of a townhome but there must be something hiding in the details somewhere.

Obviously Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area is a bit of a commute but what I lose in transport fares I should more than make up in rent.

cranberrie

Postby cranberrie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:00 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Anyone know anything about The Townhomes on Capitol Hill?

They have 1 bedrooms listed as below 1000 and 2 bedrooms for 1000-1600. I've always liked the idea of a townhome but there must be something hiding in the details somewhere.

Obviously Capitol Hill/Eastern Market area is a bit of a commute but what I lose in transport fares I should more than make up in rent.

This location isn't what most would consider Capitol Hill. It's right next to the freeway which is a rougher area than Capitol Hill proper. That said, it's not a terrible area....

Like you said, there seems to be something hiding in the details. The website indicates that it isn't a traditional leasing agreement, but would require buying into a limited equity cooperative. Personally, I would steer clear.

On the Hill, you can find English Basement studios for around $1,000 and English Basement 1bd for around $1,200. Anything much lower than that and I would be cautious.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:45 pm

ApexChaser wrote:

Hmm... I'm all good except for the "entrance counseling" on studentloans. I completed it in April, but GW has not received it notice yet. I guess I'll give it another week and then call studentloans.

Are you sure you filled out everything? I believe there are two separate entrance counseling sessions.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”