GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rejectmaster

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Just got word - accepted off the waitlist.

now time to do EVERYTHING

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:17 pm

rejectmaster wrote:Just got word - accepted off the waitlist.

Whoo hoo! Congrats!! Seems like GW is preferring extreme splitters (edit: normal and reverse) on the WL at the moment.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:21 pm

minuit wrote:

Whoo hoo! Congrats!! Seems like GW is preferring extreme splitters (edit: normal and reverse) on the WL at the moment.

i guess that keeps the average stats the same as they would be with well-balanced applicants

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 pm

caneman13 wrote:
gward10 wrote:Just got in off the wait list so I'm way behind on this forum. Is anyone having any luck with Columbia Plaza?

Based on what I've heard I think that's where I want to live. Preferably 2BR w/ a roommate. The main reason would be the ability to walk to campus.

Any advice or people looking for a roommate for this type of place?

Haven't really been paying attention to this forum, but got off GW's Wait List in early May and am attending. I just rented a 1BR/1BA at columbia plaza, and they are pretty easy to get in contact with, especially if you tell them you are attending GW as a grad student. When i was there (about 2 weeks ago) there were a few 2BR/2BA still available, and one that was going to become available August 1st, that was just entirely re-done.

are the prices actually what they say they are on their website? I want to keep in mind that the schools' budget for room and board only covers 9 months of the year so I'm concerned to pay that much. Have you had any luck offering to pay 5 months up front and getting a discount?

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:40 pm

congrats =)
your EVERYTHING sentiment is well understood. are you local? that'd make it SO much easier. I'm currently in the process of scheduling a viewing of everying single possible apartment available for this weekend since I'll be down.

Also, has anyone gotten merit funds added? They gave me the biggest need-based they have, but other people with numbers a little worse than mine got like 30k merit a year and... I like things to be fair. If they're not fair, then I like to be the one who makes out the best.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Sibley -
I went to undergrad in DC so I'm pretty familiar with it, but no, I'm not local. My parents are pretty interested in buying an apartment as an investment though so that might make my life very easy.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:52 pm

rejectmaster wrote:Sibley -
I went to undergrad in DC so I'm pretty familiar with it, but no, I'm not local. My parents are pretty interested in buying an apartment as an investment though so that might make my life very easy.

maybe they'd like to adopt me

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:54 pm

well its unlikely it'll happen in the next two months so i'll have scramble for a rental this year as well

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:53 pm

sibley wrote:
caneman13 wrote:
gward10 wrote:Just got in off the wait list so I'm way behind on this forum. Is anyone having any luck with Columbia Plaza?

Based on what I've heard I think that's where I want to live. Preferably 2BR w/ a roommate. The main reason would be the ability to walk to campus.

Any advice or people looking for a roommate for this type of place?

Haven't really been paying attention to this forum, but got off GW's Wait List in early May and am attending. I just rented a 1BR/1BA at columbia plaza, and they are pretty easy to get in contact with, especially if you tell them you are attending GW as a grad student. When i was there (about 2 weeks ago) there were a few 2BR/2BA still available, and one that was going to become available August 1st, that was just entirely re-done.

are the prices actually what they say they are on their website? I want to keep in mind that the schools' budget for room and board only covers 9 months of the year so I'm concerned to pay that much. Have you had any luck offering to pay 5 months up front and getting a discount?

The prices are within the ranges shown on the website. I got lucky to find a place at the low end of the range, and I really don't know how or why the prices differ, since each apartment of a particular model is pretty standard. I also checked out a bunch of other apartments in the area, that have their advantages and disadvantages compared to Columbia plaza. PM if you're interested.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 pm

In after being waitlisted, now its time to make some big decisions, although I'm leaning towards GW

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:10 pm

itsfine wrote:In after being waitlisted, now its time to make some big decisions, although I'm leaning towards GW

congrats =) where were you planning on going before?

furiotoo

Postby furiotoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Got in off of the wait-list Monday. About 90% sure I'll be attending now. Just trying to convince myself the extra $100k or so it'll cost is worth it.

In the meantime, I've just started looking at housing and a roommate appears pretty necessary to stay within the COL numbers. Any advice on where to look or info about particular buildings or neighborhoods anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 pm

furiotoo wrote:Got in off of the wait-list Monday. About 90% sure I'll be attending now. Just trying to convince myself the extra $100k or so it'll cost is worth it.

In the meantime, I've just started looking at housing and a roommate appears pretty necessary to stay within the COL numbers. Any advice on where to look or info about particular buildings or neighborhoods anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

I discovered it late, but my.law.gwu.edu has a housing forum with people looking for roommates... some of them even have dogs!! =D

..will be in dc this weekend looking for a place. selling my sperm in order to afford it for those 3 months that financial aid doesn't consider. cept I'm a girl.

furiotoo

Postby furiotoo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:22 pm

sibley wrote:
furiotoo wrote:Got in off of the wait-list Monday. About 90% sure I'll be attending now. Just trying to convince myself the extra $100k or so it'll cost is worth it.

I discovered it late, but my.law.gwu.edu has a housing forum with people looking for roommates... some of them even have dogs!! =D

..will be in dc this weekend looking for a place. selling my sperm in order to afford it for those 3 months that financial aid doesn't consider. cept I'm a girl.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't have authentication credentials yet. I'll have to call admissions tomorrow to ask when I can get those.

Eggs sell for *far* more than sperm. You'll be fine. ;)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 am

furiotoo wrote:
sibley wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't have authentication credentials yet. I'll have to call admissions tomorrow to ask when I can get those.

Thank God I test well! Not only did it get me into law school, but it also puts a premium on my oocytes. And somehow I actually think that's the correct term.

As for calling admissions... just email Dean Richard. Give her your LSAC number and tell her you're waiting on access but need it because, like, you need to plan your life. I think she's the one who handles overall access and she's pretty responsive to emails.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 am

...does anyone else find the recent lack of communication to be a little strange? I've heard nothing about the Aston after sending in my housing contract, and it went from 2-3 e-mails from Dean Richard every week to nothing.

Did they lose my contact info? Decide they didn't want me anymore?! Am I missing anything or are they just in a sort of dead summer period?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 am

td6624 wrote:...does anyone else find the recent lack of communication to be a little strange? I've heard nothing about the Aston after sending in my housing contract, and it went from 2-3 e-mails from Dean Richard every week to nothing.

Did they lose my contact info? Decide they didn't want me anymore?! Am I missing anything or are they just in a sort of dead summer period?

probably dead summer period. they have to figure out who our lockermates will be. they're probably doing that.

Also, I JUST NOW found this: http://gwired.gwu.edu/offcampus/find/Ap ... eGWCampus/ because I googled an address instead of mapped it. Helpful. And I'm late.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 pm

sibley wrote:
furiotoo wrote:
sibley wrote:

Thank God I test well! Not only did it get me into law school, but it also puts a premium on my oocytes. And somehow I actually think that's the correct term.

As for calling admissions... just email Dean Richard. Give her your LSAC number and tell her you're waiting on access but need it because, like, you need to plan your life. I think she's the one who handles overall access and she's pretty responsive to emails.

I just sent her an e-mail regarding log-in credential. I will let interested parties know if anything comes of it!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Elise Apartments are offering August's rent free, FYI. Aka if you move in August 1 you pay $1352 instead of $1495. It's .4 miles from GW, .5 miles from the law school entrance.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Dean R is yet to respond to my request... here's hoping the package arrives tomorrow.

Any other 6/21 admits still waiting on their official paperwork to arrive? I've mailed letters from DC that have gotten up to NY in two days.

jkresh

Postby jkresh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:43 pm

rejectmaster, I am also waiting for the package (got the email on Monday, package was supposed to have shipped Tuesday). NY to DC in 2-3 days would make sense (last week I got something from the USPTO that was mailed on Thursday and arrived Monday).

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:15 pm

In off the WL earlier this week. Got my packet in the mail today.

Spent 3 hours last night apartment hunting. The quest for money officially begins on Monday!

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Aston2412 wrote:In off the WL earlier this week. Got my packet in the mail today.

Spent 3 hours last night apartment hunting. The quest for money officially begins on Monday!

hehhhh good luck with that quest. I told the fordham dean gw didn't give me any merit money and he didn't believe me. so then I asked again. and now I feel like that loser kid at the school dance who doesn't get the hint.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:54 am

so right now i've been looking at this

http://www.columbiaplaza.net/potomac.html

kind of rapey at $1400 a month but it looks like a nice setup.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 pm

rejectmaster wrote:so right now i've been looking at this

http://www.columbiaplaza.net/potomac.html

kind of rapey at $1400 a month but it looks like a nice setup.

They've called me twice already to tell me they don't have any units available. Don't give them your cell phone number, it's obnoxious. Plus you're not going to get THAT studio for $1400... it's got a balcony. But 1400 is fine for that distance away, and those apartments are decently sized.

I was just in DC and saw about 14 apartments this weekend. I ended up picking one that was $1450 a month, L-shaped, slightly under 600sq ft, with rooftop terrace and pool and dishwasher... it was $1450. There's also a garage for an extra $200 a month... laundry is $1 for each. It's in the Letterman House, which has decent reviews on apartmentratings.com (69% recommend, compared to 46% for Columbia Plaza). The landlord is slightly sketchy but the building is condos so they're all owned by different people. The condo move in fee is $250 and the landlord charges a $250 cleaning fee... both of which are super annoying. But the building is a block literally from the law school (with other GW buildings in between that you might be able to cut through somewhat) so the location can't be beat. Also, apparently you can have pets... just not dogs. A woman was renting her studio in this building for $1595... she wouldn't go down, but there was a TV on the wall that she was leaving (about 36", but you couldn't keep it)

The Elise Apartments are big and decently priced (since they've got the first-month-free special going on) but the kitchens are very old and kind of gross. There are several nice L-ish floor plans there and it's worth checking out if you're not a big cooker.

I recommend finding one soon. From what people have been saying it seems like there's a pickup in people wanting to rent for the fall now.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”