GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Teoeo

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Teoeo » Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:hey all this is for anyone who knows about the Presidential Merit Scholarship that you get if admitted ED.

On the website it says that students admitted ED must "commit to attend The George Washington University Law School and pay a non-refundable seat deposit in the amount of $1,500 no later than Jan 31, 2010."

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx

Well, I think it's sort of strange that if you're admitted with a full tuition scholarship that you have to pay $1,500. I guess a seat deposit is considered separate from tuition? Or is this something that they reimburse you for? Are there any other sort of small "hidden charges" someone who is admitted ED could expect?

Also, do Pres. Merit Scholars get any sort of academic perks? Like a special faculty adviser, first pick for clinics, or anything like that?

Is anyone here an ED scholarship person? I just have a lot of questions about it b/c I'm considering doing GW ED in the coming cycle. Thanks!

I got a lot of money from em (105,450) but I didn't apply ed. I am not sure if they get any "perks" besides being free. Having "Recipient, George Washington University Law School Presidential Scholarship" on your resume should, however, help significantly. I am assuming that the legal community knows that it is full tuition and thus will assume that someone with this scholarship is T14 material.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Fri May 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Hey thanks for the response and I would hope that having the scholarship would help employment prospects a little bit.

But does anyone understand why GW is charging full-tuition scholarship recipients $1,500 for a seat deposit. I find this especially strange since on the website it says: "Those admitted will receive a letter informing them of that action and requesting that a $500 deposit be submitted directly to the Admissions Office by April 15. Admitted applicants will be required to pay a second deposit, in the amount of $1,000, no later than June 15. All deposits are non-refundable and will be credited to fall tuition."

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri May 14, 2010 9:52 pm

thatsnotmyname wrote:Hey thanks for the response and I would hope that having the scholarship would help employment prospects a little bit.

But does anyone understand why GW is charging full-tuition scholarship recipients $1,500 for a seat deposit. I find this especially strange since on the website it says: "Those admitted will receive a letter informing them of that action and requesting that a $500 deposit be submitted directly to the Admissions Office by April 15. Admitted applicants will be required to pay a second deposit, in the amount of $1,000, no later than June 15. All deposits are non-refundable and will be credited to fall tuition."

if they didn't charge you they'd have tons of people holding seats they didnt end up taking. maybe youll get reimbursed in the fall. actually, you will. because you'll be 1.5k over at the bursar's office and they'll eventually send you a check.

GermX

Postby GermX » Wed May 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I found a sweet apartment in the Dupont Circle less than 1 mile from the law school. I heard the Dupont Circle=the best place to live in terms of living conditions + bars/college life. I'm so excited!

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:19 pm

When are you guys moving in? Orientation isn't until the week of the 16th, but the Aston email I just got says we can start moving in on the 7th.

dood

Postby dood » Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:48 am

I plan on moving in on the 7th. I figure the longer I have to acclimate myself to my surroundings before school starts, the better.

Thanks for the warning about the beds. But I've dealt with that problem for so long now that I'm not even sure I notice anymore. But we'll see.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue May 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Yeah I'll be there first week of August. Going to visit on July 1st to rent an apartment=).

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Tue May 25, 2010 4:04 pm

td6624 wrote:I plan on moving in on the 7th. I figure the longer I have to acclimate myself to my surroundings before school starts, the better.

Thanks for the warning about the beds. But I've dealt with that problem for so long now that I'm not even sure I notice anymore. But we'll see.

What will you do with the bed that is there? Since, they say it can't be removed??

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 am

mi-chan17 wrote:When are you guys moving in? Orientation isn't until the week of the 16th, but the Aston email I just got says we can start moving in on the 7th.

I'm planning to move in on the 10th, since it's the cheapest day for flights from where I am. :D I'm hoping to explore DC before orientation starts.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:42 pm

ryguy wrote:
td6624 wrote:I plan on moving in on the 7th. I figure the longer I have to acclimate myself to my surroundings before school starts, the better.

What will you do with the bed that is there? Since, they say it can't be removed??

when i toured the aston, one of the girls said she moved the original bed to another person's room who wanted to put two twins together. then she got a full one to put in its place. i guess it says that furniture may not be removed, but practically speaking, it seems like what it really means is that you'd better have everything in its place when you move out.

i probably won't want to move any more than i already have to though. so i'll probably just deal with the twin.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Boom! I'm in, y'all, and very excited to be able to post here. I've got a lot of catching up to do, re: loans, apartments, etc.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri May 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Congrats EB! Glad to have you.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Just so everyone knows I started a thread in the Admissions forum taking any and all questions about living in DC (apartment hunting, neighborhoods, cars, public transportation, etc).

gward10

Postby gward10 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:02 am

Just got in off the wait list so I'm way behind on this forum. Is anyone having any luck with Columbia Plaza?

Based on what I've heard I think that's where I want to live. Preferably 2BR w/ a roommate. The main reason would be the ability to walk to campus.

Any advice or people looking for a roommate for this type of place?

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 pm

Has anybody here had any experience or know anything about living in Maryland? More specifically the areas around Capitol Heights, Seat Pleasant, Cheverly, etc? Basically the metro stops right over the border.

minuit

Postby minuit » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:45 pm

bueller?

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm

hey guys,

Does anyone know if gw offers some kind of meal plan option for law/grad students. I can't really find anything on the site. I'm not looking for anything major but I thought it might be nice to be able to eat on campus instead of having to run home.

marburger06

Postby marburger06 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:hey guys,

Does anyone know if gw offers some kind of meal plan option for law/grad students. I can't really find anything on the site. I'm not looking for anything major but I thought it might be nice to be able to eat on campus instead of having to run home.

GW (the undergrad and grad schools) does not have "meal plans" like most universities. You'll get a University ID (GWorld) and if you choose you can put money on it and use it like a debit card at nearly all of the dining facilities nearby. The only real advantage to this is a) convenience and b) you're exempt from DC's 10% sales tax when using your card. Check out here for more info: --LinkRemoved--

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 am

Has anyone in the aston gotten actual room assignments yet!?

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:42 am

marburger06 wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:hey guys,

GW (the undergrad and grad schools) does not have "meal plans" like most universities. You'll get a University ID (GWorld) and if you choose you can put money on it and use it like a debit card at nearly all of the dining facilities nearby. The only real advantage to this is a) convenience and b) you're exempt from DC's 10% sales tax when using your card. Check out here for more info: --LinkRemoved--

This, plus -- there's a little cafe in one of the law school buildings called the Uptowner. That's where I ate most of the time, when I ate on campus. The dining hall was a couple of blocks away, so usually it was just easier to grab something from the Uptowner's buffet line (sushi, salad, fruit, etc) or a sandwich. Also, right across from the law school is an office building with an Au Bon Pain, a sushi place and a burrito joint. I rarely went to the main dining hall, though it does have a lot of options. I usually preferred to stay close, and Au Bon Pain is delicious.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Teoeo wrote:Has anyone in the aston gotten actual room assignments yet!?

Nope, not yet. I would imagine that would probably come around mid-July or so.

Also, thanks guys for posting info about meal plans and such.

dudders

Postby dudders » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:00 pm

That's sweet that you're exempt from sales tax if you pay on your GWorld card. I plan on bringing lunch/snacks most days because I'm a bit of nutrition freak, but hey, I need to save any money I can if I do end up buying food and drinks, and 10 percent is nothing to sneeze at. (I will also totally let the nutrition thing go when I troll the halls for free pizza.)

I've heard they have fridges/microwaves available for student use in the law lounges that I hope to be utilizing. Anyone know if the students respect them, or if they tend to blow up leftover spagehtti inside and they're nasty?

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:42 pm

dudders wrote:That's sweet that you're exempt from sales tax if you pay on your GWorld card. I plan on bringing lunch/snacks most days because I'm a bit of nutrition freak, but hey, I need to save any money I can if I do end up buying food and drinks, and 10 percent is nothing to sneeze at. (I will also totally let the nutrition thing go when I troll the halls for free pizza.)

I've heard they have fridges/microwaves available for student use in the law lounges that I hope to be utilizing. Anyone know if the students respect them, or if they tend to blow up leftover spagehtti inside and they're nasty?

People are pretty respectful of the community property.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:53 am

gward10 wrote:Just got in off the wait list so I'm way behind on this forum. Is anyone having any luck with Columbia Plaza?

Based on what I've heard I think that's where I want to live. Preferably 2BR w/ a roommate. The main reason would be the ability to walk to campus.

Any advice or people looking for a roommate for this type of place?

Haven't really been paying attention to this forum, but got off GW's Wait List in early May and am attending. I just rented a 1BR/1BA at columbia plaza, and they are pretty easy to get in contact with, especially if you tell them you are attending GW as a grad student. When i was there (about 2 weeks ago) there were a few 2BR/2BA still available, and one that was going to become available August 1st, that was just entirely re-done.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”