GW Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby dudders » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm starting to get pretty punchy with these weekly "I swear, we're sending financial aid info soon!" e-mails from GW. Dream school yes? Worth over $200k in loans at sticker? Doubtful.

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby umichgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

To be fair, they did extend the seat deposit deadline

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:39 pm

umichgrad wrote:To be fair, they did extend the seat deposit deadline


unfortunately the other schools didn't

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby umichgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

sibley wrote:
umichgrad wrote:To be fair, they did extend the seat deposit deadline


unfortunately the other schools didn't



oh. right.

User avatar
FromRussiaWithLove
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:21 pm

umichgrad wrote:Nice Studio apartments in central areas go for 1200+, but you can easily (1) live on the blue/orange line in VA somewhere like Rosslyn and spend <$1,000 living alone, or (2) get a roommate and share a big 1-br in foggy bottom-ish area for 700-900 (this is what I do now, more or less).


Not true. I am committed to GW and I spent week in the area apartment hunting. Anything in No. VA on the blue/orange line is 1600-1800 for a 1 bedroom. Studios started at over 1200 without utilities or any other fees. If you know where I can live for under 1000 alone please let me know! Doing away with vehicle though so it has to be walking distance to metro.

Sharing in foggy bottom for 900 sounds about right if you are talking about columbia plaza one bedroom. Where can you do it for 700? Nothing else is cheaper and you cant share a studio with a roommate. Everything other than columbia plaza in foggy bottom is even more expensive.

I could not find anything in the price ranges you are talking about. Please enlighten me where to look?

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby pollaclc » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:50 pm

fml i guess im missing out on the dessert. *cries*
caleng wrote:
muggie wrote:
redbutton wrote:
pollaclc wrote:thanks!! ps- dessert reception whats goooooood! probably the best thing i've seen at any ASD. i have a huge sweet tooth. is anyone else considering living on campus? i wouldn't be cuz one of my best friends who goes to American (undergrad) is staying in DC and we plan to live together if i end up there, but they offered me a free first year of housing, which given the rent around there, is pretty hard to turn down



+ 1 about the dessert reception


Also excited about dessert! I'm going to be super disappointed if I miss out on it since the tour of the Aston will take place during that time.


I am opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it I'm definitely going on the Aston tour (free first year housing offer) so I'll miss out on the dessert. Bummed.

Also, where is everyone staying? If there are a bunch of people in the area that night, I vote we go out for drinks after.

earlgrey
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby earlgrey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:
umichgrad wrote:Nice Studio apartments in central areas go for 1200+, but you can easily (1) live on the blue/orange line in VA somewhere like Rosslyn and spend <$1,000 living alone, or (2) get a roommate and share a big 1-br in foggy bottom-ish area for 700-900 (this is what I do now, more or less).


Not true. I am committed to GW and I spent week in the area apartment hunting. Anything in No. VA on the blue/orange line is 1600-1800 for a 1 bedroom. Studios started at over 1200 without utilities or any other fees. If you know where I can live for under 1000 alone please let me know! Doing away with vehicle though so it has to be walking distance to metro.

Sharing in foggy bottom for 900 sounds about right if you are talking about columbia plaza one bedroom. Where can you do it for 700? Nothing else is cheaper and you cant share a studio with a roommate. Everything other than columbia plaza in foggy bottom is even more expensive.

I could not find anything in the price ranges you are talking about. Please enlighten me where to look?


i would encourage looking for a room in a house instead of a studio or one bedroom. if you're willing to live a bus ride away from campus, you could look in columbia heights, mt. pleasant or adams morgan with the caveat that columbia heights is in the middle of redevelopment and some parts are better than others. Rooms in columbia heights for 700-800 are pretty standard. i currently live in columbia heights so anyone with questions about living here can feel free to pm me.

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Is anyone deffinately living in the Aston next fall??

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby umichgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:41 pm

I live in an area within 10 minutes walking of Foggy Bottom and, sharing a big 1-br, I pay 800. I've lived here in DC for some time and know quite a few people living in decent areas of DC for similar prices. Foggy Bottom is not cheap, but Arlington and Rosslyn should definitely have places available in the price ranges I suggested. You just have to look carefully. Check out some of DC's better management companies- William Keener Mgmt, Borger, Bernstein Management, William C. Smith. Also use craigslist to find shared housing and small apartments. PM me if you need more info, I'm happy to help, but don't write off what I say just because you haven't figured it out yet.

muggie
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby muggie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Is anyone deffinately living in the Aston next fall??


I am!

User avatar
ApexChaser
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby ApexChaser » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 pm

muggie wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Is anyone deffinately living in the Aston next fall??


I am!


I am also!

Bay Area'er checking in here. Not going to preview day; anyone else not?

User avatar
Chowder
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Chowder » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:07 am

jfk20 wrote: ... (lawl skool) ...


lawl, gold. I think I want to know you.

osi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby osi » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 am

As a heads up, if you got the full scholarship stipend deal don't waste it living in the aston. Aston comes out to about 1400 a month or something like that. Plenty of cheaper places than that. You're better of pocketing the money and finding your own place.

jfk20
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby jfk20 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:32 am

Chowder wrote:
jfk20 wrote: ... (lawl skool) ...


lawl, gold. I think I want to know you.



Hah I appreciate your wanting to get to know me....but the whole "lawl skool" thing is a find/replace April fools joke that the TSL administrators played on us today!

"C.o.r.n.e.l.l." (can't write out the actual word or else it will replace it again!) has been replaced with "Princeton Law" as well as a bunch of other pretty hilarious things.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby Veritas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Received fin aid packet today. $15k need based. Still leaves a crap load :lol: But, something to consider.

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolftw » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 am

Also received need based aid today. Interesting that the school's willing to pay out the stipend for the cost of living in the Aston. Anyone considering making this swap??

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby dood » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:35 am

...
Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:57 am

lawschoolftw wrote:Also received need based aid today. Interesting that the school's willing to pay out the stipend for the cost of living in the Aston. Anyone considering making this swap??



WTF. I haven't gotten mine yet. It came by email, right? Ugh this is so frustrating.

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby pollaclc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:03 pm

it sounded like a SWEET deal when the email first came, but for 1L i honestly think i might like living with a bunch of other kids from school & as long as i can swap out the twin bed i'd probably be just as happy with the aston as i would with any other apartment i could get nearby for that money

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolftw » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:22 pm

sibley wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Also received need based aid today. Interesting that the school's willing to pay out the stipend for the cost of living in the Aston. Anyone considering making this swap??



WTF. I haven't gotten mine yet. It came by email, right? Ugh this is so frustrating.


Yeah it came by email on Friday. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm set on the Aston as well It's too convenient to pick up, plus when you add in the cost of utilities it's going to be difficult to find anything muich cheaper.

osi
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby osi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:29 pm

dood wrote:
osi wrote:As a heads up, if you got the full scholarship stipend deal don't waste it living in the aston. Aston comes out to about 1400 a month or something like that. Plenty of cheaper places than that. You're better of pocketing the money and finding your own place.

Even assuming you could find a place within a 7-10 minute walk to school for less than $1400 - I doubt the difference would cover rent-related expenditures (the Aston includes all utilities, AC, dishwasher, microwave, cable, internet, furniture, school printer). But it's the non-quantifiable stuff you'll really miss out on. First in terms of hassles avoided by not having to deal with landlord/tenant issues, moving furniture, setting up utilities and internet, etc. And in terms of social convenience gained - i.e. it would be harder to meet a friend downstairs in 5 min for gym/lunch/drinks/smoke a cig/compare property outlines/etc when you don't live in the same building. It's a balancing test, with more to consider than economics.


I found a place in Georgetown for $950. I live with one other person. That comes out to over $4000 in my pocket. I know lots of people who have found other places and lots of people who complain that they are living in the overpriced Aston. I also don't think it necessary to start throwing around "balancing test" on a Saturday.

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby umichgrad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:32 am

Veritas wrote:Received fin aid packet today. $15k need based. Still leaves a crap load :lol: But, something to consider.


Congrats Veritas!! Does this mean you'll be considering?? :)

lawschoolftw
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolftw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:41 pm

osi wrote:
dood wrote:
osi wrote:As a heads up, if you got the full scholarship stipend deal don't waste it living in the aston. Aston comes out to about 1400 a month or something like that. Plenty of cheaper places than that. You're better of pocketing the money and finding your own place.

Even assuming you could find a place within a 7-10 minute walk to school for less than $1400 - I doubt the difference would cover rent-related expenditures (the Aston includes all utilities, AC, dishwasher, microwave, cable, internet, furniture, school printer). But it's the non-quantifiable stuff you'll really miss out on. First in terms of hassles avoided by not having to deal with landlord/tenant issues, moving furniture, setting up utilities and internet, etc. And in terms of social convenience gained - i.e. it would be harder to meet a friend downstairs in 5 min for gym/lunch/drinks/smoke a cig/compare property outlines/etc when you don't live in the same building. It's a balancing test, with more to consider than economics.


I found a place in Georgetown for $950. I live with one other person. That comes out to over $4000 in my pocket. I know lots of people who have found other places and lots of people who complain that they are living in the overpriced Aston. I also don't think it necessary to start throwing around "balancing test" on a Saturday.


OSi, is the 950 just rent? And if it is and you don't mind me asking, what does it come out with utilities (electric, water, rent,cable, tv etc) I don't mean to be nosy, I'm just trying to figure out what the best move here is.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
sibley wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Also received need based aid today. Interesting that the school's willing to pay out the stipend for the cost of living in the Aston. Anyone considering making this swap??



WTF. I haven't gotten mine yet. It came by email, right? Ugh this is so frustrating.


Yeah it came by email on Friday. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm set on the Aston as well It's too convenient to pick up, plus when you add in the cost of utilities it's going to be difficult to find anything muich cheaper.


I called financial aid, who gave me my student id and had me email the dean, who propmtly sent me my package. 15k/yr in grants... does anyone know if 1) there's any hope for scholarship negotiations? I got $0 and W&L (ranked 2 worse) gave me 24k/yr... and 2) if you get a scholarship you're no longer eligible for need-based aid?

User avatar
bullfighter
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:15 am

Re: GW Class of 2013

Postby bullfighter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 am

lawschoolftw wrote:Is anyone deffinately living in the Aston next fall??


I will be in the Aston. fun to not worry about housing.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests