GW Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
pollaclc

Bronze

Re: GW Class of 2013

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 pm

can't wait for new USNWR to go out and restore GW to its former glory. i haven't made a choice yet but i'm stoked for the april 9 ASD and hoping to love the school :)

redbutton

New

Post by redbutton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 pm

I'm pretty excited about the preview day being so long...I feel like that means the school's confident that it has a ton to offer.

I've been to a few other ASD that only lasted from 9-1 and it totally reflected a lack of things going on!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm going to be at preview day! So excited, it's my first time visiting D.C. :)

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:23 pm

i hope you're right & that it doesnt just mean we have to listen to MORE people talk on panels than at other schools (where i tihnk the panel discussion is already excessive haha). do you have a link to the schedule?

jfk20

New

Post by jfk20 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:25 pm

minuit wrote:I'm going to be at preview day! So excited, it's my first time visiting D.C. :)
I'm sure you'll love it. I visited a few weeks ago and it was awesome.

All you other awesome GW people out there...can't wait to see you at the preview day...and let's get this thread going!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jfk20

New

Post by jfk20 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm

pollaclc wrote:i hope you're right & that it doesnt just mean we have to listen to MORE people talk on panels than at other schools (where i tihnk the panel discussion is already excessive haha). do you have a link to the schedule?

The Preview Day Schedule has been updated as follows:

9:15-9:45am: Check-in & light breakfast (Law School: Kelly Lounge)

10am: Welcome to GW Law (Jack Morton Auditorium)

10:45am: Form Groups

11am: Mock Class/Tour Round 1(Law School)

Noon: Mock Class/Tour Round 2 (Law School)

1-2pm: Lunch (Marvin Center Grand Ballroom)

2-3:30pm: Aston Tour
Dessert reception and Student
Organization tables on the patio

3:30-4:15pm: Panel 1

* Academic Life – Classes, exams, career development
* Student Life – Student organizations, SBA, DC 101
* GW Specialties– Intellectual Property, Environmental Law, Clinics, International Law, Public Interest

4:30-5:15pm: Panel 2

* Academic Life – Classes, exams, career development
* Student Life – Student organizations, SBA, DC 101
* GW Specialties–Intellectual Property, Environmental Law, Clinics, International Law, Public Interest

5:30-7:30pm: Reception (Marvin Center Grand Ballroom and Patio)

Link: --LinkRemoved--

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 pm

oooh gosh I'm so excited!

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm

thanks!! ps- dessert reception whats goooooood! probably the best thing i've seen at any ASD. i have a huge sweet tooth. is anyone else considering living on campus? i wouldn't be cuz one of my best friends who goes to American (undergrad) is staying in DC and we plan to live together if i end up there, but they offered me a free first year of housing, which given the rent around there, is pretty hard to turn down

jfk20

New

Post by jfk20 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm not going to be staying on campus, but GW housing has a great list on its website of all the apartment buildings within 4 blocks and then another list of all the buildings within 8 blocks, so I'm going to try to stay in one of them. There's a great range of options as far as price.

But if they offered you free housing, I would definitely take them up on that! I've heard the Aston is really nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redbutton

New

Post by redbutton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

pollaclc wrote:thanks!! ps- dessert reception whats goooooood! probably the best thing i've seen at any ASD. i have a huge sweet tooth. is anyone else considering living on campus? i wouldn't be cuz one of my best friends who goes to American (undergrad) is staying in DC and we plan to live together if i end up there, but they offered me a free first year of housing, which given the rent around there, is pretty hard to turn down

+ 1 about the dessert reception

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

i'm kinda voting that when we "form groups," everyone who's on TLS should be in the same one

redbutton

New

Post by redbutton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Just something I thought everyone on this post might be interested in.....

I work with a bunch of lawyers in New England (from different cities and different firms) and when I told them I thought I was going to go to GW, they basically all had the same reaction: "That's an awesome school. You'll be able to get any job you want coming from there."

Now obviously the economy isn't great and I'm sure people have differing opinions about the GW job market, but it was awesome to hear lawyers form all over the place have that opinion. I feel like the school's reputation is getting better all the time.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm actually kind of wary of the loooong preview day. I don't want to get all tired and bored and discouraged and all that. Hopefully they keep things interesting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Actually, looking more closely, there isn't a whole lot of dead time. Looking forward to it!

redbutton

New

Post by redbutton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Yeah I feel like if a school can't keep things interesting for 10 hours, it's going to have a hard time doing so for 3 years.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

at least it doesnt start at/before 9. if i get to take off work to go to ASD, it kind of ruins a lot of the fun if i have to wake up just as early as if i was going to work anyway

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 pm

might go... if they ever decide to send me my financial aid package

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

muggie

New

Post by muggie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 pm

redbutton wrote:
pollaclc wrote:thanks!! ps- dessert reception whats goooooood! probably the best thing i've seen at any ASD. i have a huge sweet tooth. is anyone else considering living on campus? i wouldn't be cuz one of my best friends who goes to American (undergrad) is staying in DC and we plan to live together if i end up there, but they offered me a free first year of housing, which given the rent around there, is pretty hard to turn down

Also excited about dessert! I'm going to be super disappointed if I miss out on it since the tour of the Aston will take place during that time.

caleng

New

Post by caleng » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 am

muggie wrote:
redbutton wrote:

Also excited about dessert! I'm going to be super disappointed if I miss out on it since the tour of the Aston will take place during that time.
+1 I'm definitely going on the Aston tour (free first year housing offer) so I'll miss out on the dessert. Bummed.

Also, where is everyone staying? If there are a bunch of people in the area that night, I vote we go out for drinks after.

dee0910

New

Post by dee0910 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Definitely going for GW, and definitely heading to Preview Day next week (but unfortunately missing dessert over an Aston tour, as well! :( ) ! I'm psyched about joining this thread. Hope to meet you all at GW next week!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:52 pm

might go to preview day. need my financial aid packet first though..ugh

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:01 pm

sibley wrote:might go to preview day. need my financial aid packet first though..ugh
Anyone get theres yet?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
sibley wrote:might go to preview day. need my financial aid packet first though..ugh
Anyone get theres yet?
this just came
2. Financial Aid Award Packages. We are making need-based awards now and sending out notifications via e-mail. By the end of next week, we hope to have award notices to all admitted students who provided the required FAFSA information as of March 26th. If you are in the process of submitting your FAFSA now or have not yet completed your FAFSA, please know that we will do our best to get a financial aid award package to you as quickly as possible once we receive your FAFSA information.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

sibley wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:
Anyone get theres yet?
this just came
2. Financial Aid Award Packages. We are making need-based awards now and sending out notifications via e-mail. By the end of next week, we hope to have award notices to all admitted students who provided the required FAFSA information as of March 26th. If you are in the process of submitting your FAFSA now or have not yet completed your FAFSA, please know that we will do our best to get a financial aid award package to you as quickly as possible once we receive your FAFSA information.
Yeah, I just saw that. I guess that means I should be getting it soon. I'm excited about going to GW next year but I'm pretty worried about the COL in D.C.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
sibley wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:
Anyone get theres yet?
this just came
Yeah, I just saw that. I guess that means I should be getting it soon. I'm excited about going to GW next year but I'm pretty worried about the COL in D.C.

It's not as bad as all that. Nice Studio apartments in central areas go for 1200+, but you can easily (1) live on the blue/orange line in VA somewhere like Rosslyn and spend <$1,000 living alone, or (2) get a roommate and share a big 1-br in foggy bottom-ish area for 700-900 (this is what I do now, more or less).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”