GW Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sibley

Gold

Re: GW Class of 2013

Post by sibley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:38 am

rejectmaster wrote:didn't mean to be an anus!! just nervous..
I believe you are totally redeemed by making use of the A word. It made me laugh. Teoeo, you agree?

Also I scoured the internet for dark wood floating shelves and couldn't find any anywhere. Then I went on ikea.com to see their $20 bookshelves... and there they were!
At the foggy bottom metro we can rent teletubbie, the toyota tacoma pickup. That'd help with all the big boxes. I wonder how many seats it has, though. Or we can get an Element or Soul if those would hold stuff... At New Hall there's an Escape...

P.O.E. Racing

New

Post by P.O.E. Racing » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Teoeo wrote:Is anyone else getting excited/nervous right about now?!?
Man, 1 more day here at work, party this weekend at my friend's brewery (gonna miss THAT place) for the big send off and then the GF (who JUST finished her nursing degree) and I hit the road from Santa Cruz with our lives in a small U-haul trailer behind the truck :)
We move into our apartment at Columbia Plaza on the 9th.
I am SUPER excited to get there, meet everyone and get started!
We will be doing the Ikea/thrift shop/craigslist furniture outings when we get there (bookshelves, dining table, and maybe a couple couches...) and I have a truck so if anyone still needs help with furninshing trips I would be happy to do the hauling:)

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:19 pm

sibley wrote:
I believe you are totally redeemed by making use of the A word. It made me laugh. Teoeo, you agree?

Also I scoured the internet for dark wood floating shelves and couldn't find any anywhere. Then I went on ikea.com to see their $20 bookshelves... and there they were!
At the foggy bottom metro we can rent teletubbie, the toyota tacoma pickup. That'd help with all the big boxes. I wonder how many seats it has, though. Or we can get an Element or Soul if those would hold stuff... At New Hall there's an Escape...
I suppose I could pardon him =D

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:21 pm

sibley wrote:

I paid 50 bucks to be a zipcar member, although I have no desire to drive in DC. We should totally coordinate for box hauling though!!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Teoeo wrote:
sibley wrote:

I paid 50 bucks to be a zipcar member, although I have no desire to drive in DC. We should totally coordinate for box hauling though!!
50 bucks??? Why! At my undergrad it was 35 and at GW it's 25. We should have POE go at the same time as us so we can strategically place our boxes. I also need some floating shelves and a magnetic knife strip thing. I have 3 homeless pairing knives that I use quite frequently.

Also, POE... congrats =) Jealous of your idyllic cross-country move and the fact that your SO is coming with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:07 pm

sibley wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
sibley wrote:

50 bucks??? Why! At my undergrad it was 35 and at GW it's 25. We should have POE go at the same time as us so we can strategically place our boxes. I also need some floating shelves and a magnetic knife strip thing. I have 3 homeless pairing knives that I use quite frequently.
Teletubbie "seats 4" but it's probably 2 and 2 slightly cramped if it's the 2 door. I need a bookcase, but a coffee table and bean bag chair are mighty tempting.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:46 pm

ApexChaser wrote: Teletubbie "seats 4" but it's probably 2 and 2 slightly cramped if it's the 2 door. I need a bookcase, but a coffee table and bean bag chair are mighty tempting.

I will spontaneously combust if I don't acquire one of those large desks with the spindly legs. Probably the L-shaped white one that is cheap and lovely. I'm tempted by a tv stand. Everything else is little. Unless I get there and decide I don't actually need to eat for the next year and therefore can spend that money on stuff.

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

sibley wrote: I will spontaneously combust if I don't acquire one of those large desks with the spindly legs. Probably the L-shaped white one that is cheap and lovely. I'm tempted by a tv stand. Everything else is little. Unless I get there and decide I don't actually need to eat for the next year and therefore can spend that money on stuff.
Peanut butter and jelly for three years will free up a bit of money for your desk and other things. =)

I am tempted by a giant whiteboard... i loved having one back in undergrad

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm going with a mattress on the floor, one massive floodlight (see below, A) for room lighting, a single stool in the kitchen so that I can do schoolwork on the counter tops, and a typewriter (see below, B).

A. Image

B.Image

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Always Credited wrote:I'm going with a mattress on the floor, one massive floodlight (see below, A) for room lighting, a single stool in the kitchen so that I can do schoolwork on the counter tops, and a typewriter (see below, B).

A. Image

B.Image
Ah, the "prison inmate correspondence education" approach. Very nice.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:21 am

Everyone here is looking at this law school experience as a chance to economize and save money.

I, on the other hand, see 605 sq feet to decorate to my hearts content :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to do an Asian theme and this is the perfect excuse to finally get a daisho!
Last edited by Aston2412 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:18 am

Aston2412 wrote:Everyone here is looking at this law school experience as a chance to economize and save money.

I, on the other hand, see 605 feet to decorate to my hearts content :mrgreen:

I think I'm going to do an Asian theme and this is the perfect excuse to finally get a daisho!
TITCR xD

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:28 pm

Teoeo wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:Everyone here is looking at this law school experience as a chance to economize and save money.

I, on the other hand, see 605 feet to decorate to my hearts content :mrgreen:

TITCR xD
daisho + stress = bad

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Lol I can see it now...

Random law student A: "Yea, I don't think I did so well. Probably a B..."

Me: "Do you want to do it now or wait for your grades to actually come in?"

RLS A: "Do what?"

Me: "Seppuku, duh."

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for the pardons

this is kind of ghetto but have you considered rent-a-wreck?

they have minivans and stuff.. my friends and i used to rent from them to go from DC to ocean city with a ton of random crap

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:33 pm

also i just moved into my apartment and i'll probably be doing nothing but going to 7-11 and trying to get a student id for gym and library access.. i went to college nearby so i know the area decently and did my new place exploring a while ago

if anyone is down for a monster rot session let me know.. i'd like to meet some people before academic scheduling determines friendships

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

rejectmaster wrote:Thanks for the pardons

this is kind of ghetto but have you considered rent-a-wreck?

they have minivans and stuff.. my friends and i used to rent from them to go from DC to ocean city with a ton of random crap
what is monster rot?

and never heard of rent-a-wreck.. just went to their site but can't find any prices. how much does it cost generally?

ALSO anyone in DC before august 14... do all your shopping in MD by the end of the day on 8/14 (8/8 to 8/14)... it's tax free week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:21 pm

monster rot is what you resort to when you have no responsibilities

it doesn't actually refer to anything

and i don't know, i never organized the rentals myself but its between 30-45 bucks a day i think

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:23 am

rejectmaster wrote:also i just moved into my apartment and i'll probably be doing nothing but going to 7-11 and trying to get a student id for gym and library access.. i went to college nearby so i know the area decently and did my new place exploring a while ago

if anyone is down for a monster rot session let me know.. i'd like to meet some people before academic scheduling determines friendships
I'd be interested to know how much luck you have getting the student ID. Let us know how it goes!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:also i just moved into my apartment and i'll probably be doing nothing but going to 7-11 and trying to get a student id for gym and library access.. i went to college nearby so i know the area decently and did my new place exploring a while ago

I'd be interested to know how much luck you have getting the student ID. Let us know how it goes!
And I still don't know what it is, but I'll do it.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Is anyone else concerned about the amount of time student accounts say it will be before your refund check is issued?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:40 pm

ryguy wrote:Is anyone else concerned about the amount of time student accounts say it will be before your refund check is issued?

Yes. Gotta pay September's rent.

ryguy

Bronze

Post by ryguy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Student accts states that it could be up to 14 days before they mail it. They will not give it to us.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:55 pm

ryguy wrote:Student accts states that it could be up to 14 days before they mail it. They will not give it to us.
Hopefully it'll be more like 3 days from the start of classes that they mail it. Then we should get it by Sept 1 or 2, which should be enough leeway for rent.

GermX

Silver

Post by GermX » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm

I have enough money to pay September's rent just in case, and I'll just give it back to myself from the financial aid, both for August and September. We should be getting the funds though, wtf..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”