Boston University Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I hope next friday is as awesome.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Cupidity wrote:I hope next friday is as awesome.


I'm sure it will be. I love getting to go back up to Boston, visit all my friends, romp on the BU campus again, and get to meet some new friends at the ASD. Looking forward to it. Shame it couldn't be this weekend, because I would have loved to go see the Hockey East championship tournament this weekend.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 pm

I go to a liberal arts college, the idea of school sports is alien to me.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Cupidity wrote:I hope next friday is as awesome.


i'll be there flying from Vegas, staying in a hotel close to Harvard Square.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Cupidity wrote:I go to a liberal arts college, the idea of school sports is alien to me.


I'm not going to lie and make it out to be like college football/basketball at some real big sports schools, but we love our hockey at BU (defending national champions, I might add, in one of the greatest hockey games ever played). Hockey is a game that is pretty foreign to most people when they first come, but it grows on you REAL fast when you start going to the games and seeing the spirit there (at one of the nicest and newest hockey arenas in the country).

lawprof
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby lawprof » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Don't worry about graduate housing. All of the JD students stay off campus in Fenway, Brookline or Somerville. Brighton/Alston is a bit too undergrad for most.
Boston is one of the best college town on the planet - a zillion apartments will be available.

Just ask any current student at the AS event where they live and you'll get many good (but pricey) options. Fabulous place to live.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 pm

lawprof wrote:Don't worry about graduate housing. All of the JD students stay off campus in Fenway, Brookline or Somerville. Brighton/Alston is a bit too undergrad for most.
Boston is one of the best college town on the planet - a zillion apartments will be available.

Just ask any current student at the AS event where they live and you'll get many good (but pricey) options. Fabulous place to live.


I know this is bit much but I have only been to Boston once, and with Boston being known as one of the more racially segreagated cities in the country, what are some of the ethnic neighborhood breakdowns?

Ive heard people can be less than friendly should you venture into the wrong neighborhood.

Again not trying to go off topic but I am truly curious in terms of how housing breaksdown and site seeing breaksdown.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:47 pm

prolyphek wrote:
lawprof wrote:Don't worry about graduate housing. All of the JD students stay off campus in Fenway, Brookline or Somerville. Brighton/Alston is a bit too undergrad for most.
Boston is one of the best college town on the planet - a zillion apartments will be available.

Just ask any current student at the AS event where they live and you'll get many good (but pricey) options. Fabulous place to live.


I know this is bit much but I have only been to Boston once, and with Boston being known as one of the more racially segreagated cities in the country, what are some of the ethnic neighborhood breakdowns?

Ive heard people can be less than friendly should you venture into the wrong neighborhood.

Again not trying to go off topic but I am truly curious in terms of how housing breaksdown and site seeing breaksdown.


There is no neighborhood anywhere close to the school that would be considered a "bad neighborhood", so you don't have to worry about that. BU is in one of the safest areas of Boston and the crime rate on campus, and near campus is very low.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Anyone have advice for what area would work for BU+Brandeis

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:55 pm

Cupidity wrote:Anyone have advice for what area would work for BU+Brandeis


You are visiting Brandeis too? Coming with a little sibling or something? A good central area to the 2 places would be something like Newton. I know of a Marriott and Crowne Plaza Hotel in Newton, which isn't far from either BU or Brandeis.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:55 pm

dakatz wrote:
prolyphek wrote:
lawprof wrote:Don't worry about graduate housing. All of the JD students stay off campus in Fenway, Brookline or Somerville. Brighton/Alston is a bit too undergrad for most.
Boston is one of the best college town on the planet - a zillion apartments will be available.

Just ask any current student at the AS event where they live and you'll get many good (but pricey) options. Fabulous place to live.


I know this is bit much but I have only been to Boston once, and with Boston being known as one of the more racially segreagated cities in the country, what are some of the ethnic neighborhood breakdowns?

Ive heard people can be less than friendly should you venture into the wrong neighborhood.

Again not trying to go off topic but I am truly curious in terms of how housing breaksdown and site seeing breaksdown.


There is no neighborhood anywhere close to the school that would be considered a "bad neighborhood", so you don't have to worry about that. BU is in one of the safest areas of Boston and the crime rate on campus, and near campus is very low.


Im not really so much worried about the "bad neighborhood", I grew up in one. It's more of how there are (at least I have heard) ethnic pockets of the city around stadiums and that type of stuff.

I don't want to be the black guy that accidently ventures into the Irish nieghborhood or whatever without knowing im not supposed to be there. Again I am not asking this to be inflammatory or anything but everyone in my familly who has spent substantial time in Boston has had an issue, I have one cousin who has vowed to never return as he says that Boston is one of the worst racially segregated cities.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 pm

dakatz wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Anyone have advice for what area would work for BU+Brandeis


You are visiting Brandeis too? Coming with a little sibling or something? A good central area to the 2 places would be something like Newton. I know of a Marriott and Crowne Plaza Hotel in Newton, which isn't far from either BU or Brandeis.


Actually no, my roommate next year is going to be a Grad student over there. I don't know the city at all...so by looking at the transit maps I can kind of guess where I think we should live...but I'm honestly not sure.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 pm

prolyphek wrote:
dakatz wrote:
prolyphek wrote:
lawprof wrote:Don't worry about graduate housing. All of the JD students stay off campus in Fenway, Brookline or Somerville. Brighton/Alston is a bit too undergrad for most.
Boston is one of the best college town on the planet - a zillion apartments will be available.

Just ask any current student at the AS event where they live and you'll get many good (but pricey) options. Fabulous place to live.


I know this is bit much but I have only been to Boston once, and with Boston being known as one of the more racially segreagated cities in the country, what are some of the ethnic neighborhood breakdowns?

Ive heard people can be less than friendly should you venture into the wrong neighborhood.

Again not trying to go off topic but I am truly curious in terms of how housing breaksdown and site seeing breaksdown.


There is no neighborhood anywhere close to the school that would be considered a "bad neighborhood", so you don't have to worry about that. BU is in one of the safest areas of Boston and the crime rate on campus, and near campus is very low.


Im not really so much worried about the "bad neighborhood", I grew up in one. It's more of how there are (at least I have heard) ethnic pockets of the city around stadiums and that type of stuff.

I don't want to be the black guy that accidently ventures into the Irish nieghborhood or whatever without knowing im not supposed to be there. Again I am not asking this to be inflammatory or anything but everyone in my familly who has spent substantial time in Boston has had an issue, I have one cousin who has vowed to never return as he says that Boston is one of the worst racially segregated cities.


Most of the areas around the schools in Boston are filled with rich white kids. I see the occasional black or hispanic person around (I am hispanic myself though I don't at all look it), and no one gives it a second thought, especially on a college campus. If you live anywhere relatively close to campus, I can't see any sort of racial segregation being a problem. Though I guess a huge pack of rich white kids must have a few racists mixed in. The bad neighborhoods are typically more toward South Boston, which is a place I rarely if ever go. Again, the key is to stay relatively close to campus, which almost all students do.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:03 am

Cupidity wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Anyone have advice for what area would work for BU+Brandeis


You are visiting Brandeis too? Coming with a little sibling or something? A good central area to the 2 places would be something like Newton. I know of a Marriott and Crowne Plaza Hotel in Newton, which isn't far from either BU or Brandeis.


Actually no, my roommate next year is going to be a Grad student over there. I don't know the city at all...so by looking at the transit maps I can kind of guess where I think we should live...but I'm honestly not sure.


Just keep in mind that Brandeis is nearly 10 miles from the center of Boston, and about 7 or 8 miles from BU. Either one, or both, of you will need to make a fairly long commute to school if you were to try and live together.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:06 am

I know this is bit much but I have only been to Boston once, and with Boston being known as one of the more racially segreagated cities in the country, what are some of the ethnic neighborhood breakdowns?

Ive heard people can be less than friendly should you venture into the wrong neighborhood.

Again not trying to go off topic but I am truly curious in terms of how housing breaksdown and site seeing breaksdown.[/quote]

There is no neighborhood anywhere close to the school that would be considered a "bad neighborhood", so you don't have to worry about that. BU is in one of the safest areas of Boston and the crime rate on campus, and near campus is very low.[/quote]

Im not really so much worried about the "bad neighborhood", I grew up in one. It's more of how there are (at least I have heard) ethnic pockets of the city around stadiums and that type of stuff.

I don't want to be the black guy that accidently ventures into the Irish nieghborhood or whatever without knowing im not supposed to be there. Again I am not asking this to be inflammatory or anything but everyone in my familly who has spent substantial time in Boston has had an issue, I have one cousin who has vowed to never return as he says that Boston is one of the worst racially segregated cities.[/quote]

Most of the areas around the schools in Boston are filled with rich white kids. I see the occasional black or hispanic person around (I am hispanic myself though I don't at all look it), and no one gives it a second thought, especially on a college campus. If you live anywhere relatively close to campus, I can't see any sort of racial segregation being a problem. Though I guess a huge pack of rich white kids must have a few racists mixed in. The bad neighborhoods are typically more toward South Boston, which is a place I rarely if ever go. Again, the key is to stay relatively close to campus, which almost all students do.[/quote]


lol, thanks. im sure campus is great and everyone surrounding campus are too! I have heard the areas around the stadiums are the most problematic like to see a Baseball game or Basketball game, like I said ive only been there once so i am obviously shooting in the dark, and no doubt i will learn over the three years, i hope no one took my question the wrong way...See you all next week

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 am

I'm flying in on Thursday. What is the best option for getting from the airport to my hotel by the University? Thanks!

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 am

utcris410 wrote:I'm flying in on Thursday. What is the best option for getting from the airport to my hotel by the University? Thanks!


Take the T, it's cheap and relatively quick and easy. From the airport you need to take a free shuttle to the Blue line. Take the Blue line 4 stops inbound to Government Center, then take the Green line out to BU.

If your hotel is right in Kenmore Square you can the B, C, or D line. If it's on Comm. Ave right by BU make sure you're on the B train.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 am

jstn1104 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:I'm flying in on Thursday. What is the best option for getting from the airport to my hotel by the University? Thanks!


Take the T, it's cheap and relatively quick and easy. From the airport you need to take a free shuttle to the Blue line. Take the Blue line 4 stops inbound to Government Center, then take the Green line out to BU.

If your hotel is right in Kenmore Square you can the B, C, or D line. If it's on Comm. Ave right by BU make sure you're on the B train.

Thanks! I'm going to attempt to navigate this city on my own Thursday. This is really helpful. My hotel's on Commonwealth. I'm going to try to package light (visiting Boston and NYC through the following Tuesday) so I can get off/on public transportation easily.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 am

Is any one else having trouble plotting their trip on the metro site to figure out out to get from the airport to the hotel, hotel to the school, hotel back to the airport?

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby jstn1104 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 am

utcris410 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:I'm flying in on Thursday. What is the best option for getting from the airport to my hotel by the University? Thanks!


Take the T, it's cheap and relatively quick and easy. From the airport you need to take a free shuttle to the Blue line. Take the Blue line 4 stops inbound to Government Center, then take the Green line out to BU.

If your hotel is right in Kenmore Square you can the B, C, or D line. If it's on Comm. Ave right by BU make sure you're on the B train.

Thanks! I'm going to attempt to navigate this city on my own Thursday. This is really helpful. My hotel's on Commonwealth. I'm going to try to package light (visiting Boston and NYC through the following Tuesday) so I can get off/on public transportation easily.


It's a pretty easy city to get around in, and there's plenty to do/see not far from BU. If you need any specific suggestions let me know, I lived in Boston for over 4 years and am very familiar with the area.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:57 am

jstn1104 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:I'm flying in on Thursday. What is the best option for getting from the airport to my hotel by the University? Thanks!


Take the T, it's cheap and relatively quick and easy. From the airport you need to take a free shuttle to the Blue line. Take the Blue line 4 stops inbound to Government Center, then take the Green line out to BU.

If your hotel is right in Kenmore Square you can the B, C, or D line. If it's on Comm. Ave right by BU make sure you're on the B train.

Thanks! I'm going to attempt to navigate this city on my own Thursday. This is really helpful. My hotel's on Commonwealth. I'm going to try to package light (visiting Boston and NYC through the following Tuesday) so I can get off/on public transportation easily.


It's a pretty easy city to get around in, and there's plenty to do/see not far from BU. If you need any specific suggestions let me know, I lived in Boston for over 4 years and am very familiar with the area.

Thanks! I appreciate it! :)

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby prolyphek » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Is anyone else coming into town a day early for the admitted students event? I fly out tonight and will probably use Thursday to hang out in the city, if any one else is coming in early they can PM me.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 pm

prolyphek wrote:Is anyone else coming into town a day early for the admitted students event? I fly out tonight and will probably use Thursday to hang out in the city, if any one else is coming in early they can PM me.


I'm going up tomorrow as well. Going to visit all my friends from undergrad that stayed in and around the city. Probably gonna spend most of the night out at the bars watching the college basketball games.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 pm

Today was awesome

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Seriously, this thread sucks--try harder guys.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest