Boston University Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Cupidity wrote:August 1st here. I'm living in the North End which as far ask I can tell is the fucking boardwalk/parkplace of boston. It's my only option though (for complicated reason).


The North End is a fantastic place and the food is f-ing amazing. The only downside will be its distance to BU, but you'll manage, I'm sure.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Does anyone know if legal writing is graded at BU?

EDIT: It is.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Cupidity » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:August 1st here. I'm living in the North End which as far ask I can tell is the fucking boardwalk/parkplace of boston. It's my only option though (for complicated reason).


The North End is a fantastic place and the food is f-ing amazing. The only downside will be its distance to BU, but you'll manage, I'm sure.


Thanks for the info. Northend is the only place where the commute to Brandeis and BU is reasonable, roomate is a Brandeis Grad student. I know its crazy expensive, but a 2br for 1600 is still cheaper than a 1br for 900.

User avatar
aChahmedLife
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby aChahmedLife » Thu May 06, 2010 11:37 am

I'm headed up to Boston in 2 weeks to check out apartments- I'm thinking I want to live in campus-owned housing and I am still looking for a roommate. Is anyone still looking for housing/know of any decent campus-owned housing locations?Thanks!

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 am

aChahmedLife wrote:I'm headed up to Boston in 2 weeks to check out apartments- I'm thinking I want to live in campus-owned housing and I am still looking for a roommate. Is anyone still looking for housing/know of any decent campus-owned housing locations?Thanks!


I was thinking about going for the campus-owned housing, but they charged a bit more than I was looking to pay. 580 Comm Ave is a great place since it is so close to the law school and heart of campus. Rates are high though, with studios starting at just under 1200 a month. But the facilities seem to be nice, and the location can't be beat.

As for me, I sent in my application for on-campus graduate dorm housing the second the app was available. So I'm hoping to get myself a single in one of the graduate brownstones by Kenmore. Did anyone else apply for the grad dorm housing?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Sat May 08, 2010 11:42 am

Oh, and does anyone from the Class of 2013 live in Jersey/NYC area? Would definitely be interested in meeting some future classmates this summer if anyone is free.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Blindmelon » Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 pm

dakatz wrote:Oh, and does anyone from the Class of 2013 live in Jersey/NYC area? Would definitely be interested in meeting some future classmates this summer if anyone is free.


You guys should set up a NYC area HH for C/O 2013 - someone did last year and it was a blast. I'm a New Jersey-er btw.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Sat May 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
dakatz wrote:Oh, and does anyone from the Class of 2013 live in Jersey/NYC area? Would definitely be interested in meeting some future classmates this summer if anyone is free.


You guys should set up a NYC area HH for C/O 2013 - someone did last year and it was a blast. I'm a New Jersey-er btw.


Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking to organize. Nothing too huge, but if I can get a group together to go out to dinner/have a night out/Yankees game, etc, I'd definitely be down.

boston13
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby boston13 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:17 pm

.....Good Luck to all!
Last edited by boston13 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Kiersten1985 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm in NYC and would definitely want to get together with some BU'ers. Let's make it happen. I'm good for any weekend coming up. We could probably reserve a back room at a bar.

Any bar suggestions? If anyone works downtown, Stone St. is always a good time in the spring/summer.

karmakmsa
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:16 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby karmakmsa » Wed May 12, 2010 10:35 am

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had trouble with contacting financial aid by e-mail? A few months ago I e-mailed and they never answered so I had to call, and again I sent an e-mail and no answer.

Also, anyone know if BU is open to scholarship negotiations? Any success stories?

User avatar
daniel5215
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby daniel5215 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey I know lots of you guys are looking for housing now. There is a nice condo for rent in Brighton, but the landlord requires 3 ppl to rent it. Now we've got two (me and a BC 3L) and waiting for you to be our roommate. Below is some basic info about it, if you guys are interested, please email to: ottang@gmail.com

.3 bedrooms
.2 bathrooms
.Location: Towne Estate Apartment Complex
.Address: Lake Shore Ct, Brighton, MA
.Quiet and safe neighborhood
.2 free off-street parking lots
.7 mins walking distance to the train stop
.20-30 mins in total (including walking to the T stop and time on the T) to get to BU Law campus
.1.4 miles away from BC Law campus
.BC shuttle is about 5-7 mins walk away
.Rent: $650/month, utility bill not included.
.Utility Bill: Usually about 40 each month for summer (including cable and electricity) and about 50-55 in the winter for each person.

Image
The outside of the apartment building
Image
One of the rooms

ilovelawapps
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby ilovelawapps » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:33 am

Hey, just wondering what you guys are doing regarding summer sublets...a lot of the 3 and 4br places I'm looking at have 9/1/10 move-in dates...

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby dakatz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 am

I'm heading up to Boston tomorrow to secure my apartment for the year. Since they offered me a housing stipend, I need to use it on a grad dorm or a rental property run by BU. They have a bunch of "rooms" in the South Campus area in suite-style living arrangements so I will probably go for one of those, since they seem to be a very cost friendly option that would be totally covered by the stipend. Won't be a very big room, and I will have to share a bathroom/kitchen, but I can't argue with living right on campus 5 minutes away from the law school.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:16 am

Does anyone know when the Grad PLUS loan form will be ready?

User avatar
JayTal
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby JayTal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 am

It was ready sometime last week.

D.Wilde
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby D.Wilde » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:13 pm

I know Blindmelon typically lurks around these forums, but I'm bored at the moment, so if anyone has any questions for a BU rising 2L, please feel free to ask away.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:15 pm

JayTal wrote:It was ready sometime last week.


Oh, really? I went to the finaid site and the link isn't working yet. I guess I have to go find that email...

Xiaolong
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 am

D.Wilde wrote:I know Blindmelon typically lurks around these forums, but I'm bored at the moment, so if anyone has any questions for a BU rising 2L, please feel free to ask away.


Whats the job situation like for the c/o 2011? How long did it take you to get used to the tower?

User avatar
JayTal
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby JayTal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:16 am

ilovelawapps wrote:Hey, just wondering what you guys are doing regarding summer sublets...a lot of the 3 and 4br places I'm looking at have 9/1/10 move-in dates...


I know that we're trying to negotiate an early move in with the current tenants, but if that doesn't work I'll probably be living out of a hotel for a week :roll:

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:52 pm

JayTal wrote:
ilovelawapps wrote:Hey, just wondering what you guys are doing regarding summer sublets...a lot of the 3 and 4br places I'm looking at have 9/1/10 move-in dates...


I know that we're trying to negotiate an early move in with the current tenants, but if that doesn't work I'll probably be living out of a hotel for a week :roll:


I have a 3bdrm/1 bath I may be willing to rent out super cheap for a week (I feel your pain). My roommate will be here till the bitter end, but 1 already left and I want more than anything to get off the Sept. 1st move in cycle so I may be out early. I'll keep you all updated.

D.Wilde
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby D.Wilde » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Xiaolong wrote:
D.Wilde wrote:I know Blindmelon typically lurks around these forums, but I'm bored at the moment, so if anyone has any questions for a BU rising 2L, please feel free to ask away.


Whats the job situation like for the c/o 2011? How long did it take you to get used to the tower?


Job Situation for c/o 2011: I'm not a member of the c/o 2011, so I can't speak with any real certainty on this issue, but I can say that there are people who are not on law review who currently have SA jobs at most of the largest Boston-area firms. All of my 2L friends have a job, although many of them are not living the SA/prestigious PI dream. The overall emotional climate among the c/o 2011 seems to be...nervous but not terrified.

The Tower: The tower sucks. It's always either way too cold or way too hot, the fire alarm went off during some 2L exams, the elevators are slow and always cramped, and the whole building sort of feels like halfway between a high school and a hospital. That being said, the 1L classrooms are generally quite nice. Also, I believe the Dean of the school is quite accurate when she states that if the biggest complaint about BU is the building, then the school must be doing something right!

User avatar
aChahmedLife
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby aChahmedLife » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:37 am

Does anyone have a summer or August sublease at all? I just got an August sublease and wanted to move to Boston early in the month, but not sure who is around or what there would be to do since I do not have a job there. Any suggestions? Would love to get together with other law students before classes start!

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby utcris410 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Is anyone still looking for a roommate?

User avatar
john158
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Postby john158 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:12 pm

utcris410 wrote:Is anyone still looking for a roommate?


I was recently informed that their dormitory style housing for grad students is all filled. Now I have to find an apartment, and I don't live in Boston. I think I may have to get a roommate to make things affordable. Let me know your situation utcris.
I'm a 24 year old male btw.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest