UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JollyGreenGiant

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:12 pm

OCI ain't looking too hot... :? :x

vickers711

Postby vickers711 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Emma. wrote:
vickers711 wrote:i'm already geared up to drive to chicago...i've never not had a car so i'm not sure how comfortable i would feel without it. I"m so torn now!! How would i be able to buy groceries and bring them home when it's super cold and snowing outside? On the other hand, i have no idea where i would be able to park since my building doesn't have a garage...

The stress continues...

Where are you living? Treasure Island seems OK and it is definitely walkable for a lot of Hyde Park if you needed to. It seems like enough of us will have cars that it won't be a problem getting rides to go pick up groceries.

That being said, I'm glad to have a car.

i'm living in building 16 of UChicago grad housing...that's like on ridgewood ct near 54th. sorta close to Kimbark Plaza. Where can I park out there?? there's like no indoor parking anywhere, maybe only regents. ideas?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:31 am

vickers711 wrote:
Emma. wrote:
vickers711 wrote:i'm already geared up to drive to chicago...i've never not had a car so i'm not sure how comfortable i would feel without it. I"m so torn now!! How would i be able to buy groceries and bring them home when it's super cold and snowing outside? On the other hand, i have no idea where i would be able to park since my building doesn't have a garage...

The stress continues...

Where are you living? Treasure Island seems OK and it is definitely walkable for a lot of Hyde Park if you needed to. It seems like enough of us will have cars that it won't be a problem getting rides to go pick up groceries.

i'm living in building 16 of UChicago grad housing...that's like on ridgewood ct near 54th. sorta close to Kimbark Plaza. Where can I park out there?? there's like no indoor parking anywhere, maybe only regents. ideas?

I'm not sure, TBH. You might be stuck street parking. It seems like spots on my street can be tough to come by at times, but it might be a little better where you are?

Seeing as tomorrow is already Friday, does anyone want to meet up for a drink on Saturday? In Hyde Park? Up north somewhere?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:OCI ain't looking too hot... :? :x

I haven't been following that thread. I'm sure it isn't great, but can we be looking any worse than any other peer school? I can't imagine we are, but then really what do I know?

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:20 am

Emma. wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

The stress continues...

I'm not sure, TBH. You might be stuck street parking. It seems like spots on my street can be tough to come by at times, but it might be a little better where you are?

Seeing as tomorrow is already Friday, does anyone want to meet up for a drink on Saturday? In Hyde Park? Up north somewhere?

i would probably be able to do Hyde Park on Saturday.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:33 am

Somebody earlier mentioned Zipcar, and I think people should definitely look into it. I'm in the "always had a car camp," so I had to do something. I don't think I would drive enough to necessitate driving my car all the way there from home, so this was an easy solution. It's 25 dollars to sign up, and then you pay by the hour. There are cars all over the place in Chicago. Hopefully it will work smoothly; if not, it's only a 25 dollar sunk cost. We'll see.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:31 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:I'll be around. How does everyone's Saturday look?

Seems like there wasn't a ton of interest this weekend, but I'm still game to meet up tonight if anyone wants.

ellewoods110 wrote:

Elle, aren't you still in the suburbs? I'd hate for you to have to drag yourself all the way down to HP just for a couple beers (or whatever).

Since I kind of half-assed organizing this, would it be better for us to have a TLS UChi meetup next weekend? It'd have to be Saturday for me, I'm out of town Thurs-Saturday afternoon.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Emma. wrote:

Seems like there wasn't a ton of interest this weekend, but I'm still game to meet up tonight if anyone wants.

ellewoods110 wrote:

Elle, aren't you still in the suburbs? I'd hate for you to have to drag yourself all the way down to HP just for a couple beers (or whatever).

Since I kind of half-assed organizing this, would it be better for us to have a TLS UChi meetup next weekend? It'd have to be Saturday for me, I'm out of town Thurs-Saturday afternoon.

i can't really do next weekend, i have some friends coming into town. I'd still be up for going tonight... i live in the near western suburbs, so when traffic isn't bad i can be in hyde park within 25 minutes. would you be ok with doing like, dinner at a sports bar or something? (I have no idea if hyde park has a sports bar)... but that way i'm not driving back to the burbs late at night.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:48 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

ellewoods110 wrote:

i can't really do next weekend, i have some friends coming into town. I'd still be up for going tonight... i live in the near western suburbs, so when traffic isn't bad i can be in hyde park within 25 minutes. would you be ok with doing like, dinner at a sports bar or something? (I have no idea if hyde park has a sports bar)... but that way i'm not driving back to the burbs late at night.

I guess Jimmy's?? Not exactly a sports bar, but I don't know whether there even is a real sports bar in HP. Anyone keen?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Emma. wrote:

I haven't been following that thread. I'm sure it isn't great, but can we be looking any worse than any other peer school? I can't imagine we are, but then really what do I know?

yeah this looks awful... i haven't looked at any other threads, but from what people are saying, uchicago might not be doing too hot compared to other schools? it seems like this is a bad year for uchicago. i guess this is a reality check for me, since i started thinking that getting into a top-5 law school would mean i would get a good job. i'm a bit scared now.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
Emma. wrote:

yeah this looks awful... i haven't looked at any other threads, but from what people are saying, uchicago might not be doing too hot compared to other schools? it seems like this is a bad year for uchicago. i guess this is a reality check for me, since i started thinking that getting into a top-5 law school would mean i would get a good job. i'm a bit scared now.

Looking at some of the other threads, it seems like OCI at Chicago isn't disproportionately terrible, and things seem to be at least as good (or not so good) as last year. That being said, I am still super stressed about next year.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Emma. wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

ellewoods110 wrote:

I guess Jimmy's?? Not exactly a sports bar, but I don't know whether there even is a real sports bar in HP. Anyone keen?

Seven Ten looks like a proper sports bar. It's also got bowling and billiards. :)

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:46 pm

So, if I go to Seven Ten (55th, just west of Greenwood) at 7:30 tonight, will anyone else be there?

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm

alright i've tried to post this several times, and it doesn't seem to want to let me post. There doesn't seem to be too much interest in going tonight... so why dont we try for next weekend and I'll see if I can drag my friend along. Or I could do happy hour downtown on wednesday night.... or you guys can still get together tonight and i'll meet everyone on a different outing :)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:59 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:alright i've tried to post this several times, and it doesn't seem to want to let me post. There doesn't seem to be too much interest in going tonight... so why dont we try for next weekend and I'll see if I can drag my friend along. Or I could do happy hour downtown on wednesday night.... or you guys can still get together tonight and i'll meet everyone on a different outing :)

I'm up for next Saturday or a Wed. happy hour drink. Maybe more people will be in town by next week?

Also, johnstuartmill, I can come meet you for a drink at Seven Ten if you want?

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Emma. wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:alright i've tried to post this several times, and it doesn't seem to want to let me post. There doesn't seem to be too much interest in going tonight... so why dont we try for next weekend and I'll see if I can drag my friend along. Or I could do happy hour downtown on wednesday night.... or you guys can still get together tonight and i'll meet everyone on a different outing :)

I'm up for next Saturday or a Wed. happy hour drink. Maybe more people will be in town by next week?

Yeah, does 7:30 work for you?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:13 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Yeah, does 7:30 work for you?

Sure. I PMed you.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Cool!

Okay, if anyone else wants to join us, just look for the bespectacled white guy with the black shirt, blue jeans, and red sweatshirt.

hcd18122

Postby hcd18122 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:54 pm

If anyone's interested, old course syllabi are available at http://chalk.uchicago.edu. Has anyone had any luck finding the OCS page on chalk?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Don't have internet at the new place, but will check TLS every once in a while when I can. I'm down to meet up any time this week except for Tuesday.

vickers711

Postby vickers711 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 pm

hcd18122 wrote:If anyone's interested, old course syllabi are available at http://chalk.uchicago.edu. Has anyone had any luck finding the OCS page on chalk?

how do you find these?

And by the way, I'm no longer driving to Chicago. It'll be mooching rides for me!

veeb

Postby veeb » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 am

anyone down for meeting up on tuesday or wednesday for a drink?

i'm up for meeting early, considering 1) very few of us are working / have daytime responsibilities, 2) it's not like there's happy hour specials in chicago anyway.

i live in the loop but will happily bus to the 1 bar in hyde park. :)

hcd18122

Postby hcd18122 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:01 pm

vickers711 wrote:
hcd18122 wrote:If anyone's interested, old course syllabi are available at http://chalk.uchicago.edu. Has anyone had any luck finding the OCS page on chalk?

how do you find these?

And by the way, I'm no longer driving to Chicago. It'll be mooching rides for me!

https://chalk.uchicago.edu > Course Catalog (under quick links on the left-hand side of the page) > Laws > 2009.04: Laws (for fall quarter 2009 - none of the 1L fall 2010 courses seem to be up yet.)

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm going down to Regents tomorrow to sign my lease and whatnot and I figured while I'm down there I'd run little errands. Does anyone know where we pick up student ID's? And can anyone think of other little errands I should do while there? If I'm making the drive out from the burbs I wanna make it worth it

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:11 pm

onwisconsin25 wrote:I'm going down to Regents tomorrow to sign my lease and whatnot and I figured while I'm down there I'd run little errands. Does anyone know where we pick up student ID's? And can anyone think of other little errands I should do while there? If I'm making the drive out from the burbs I wanna make it worth it

Regenstein library (1100 East 57th Street) for your Chicago Card

As soon as you go in (if you enter from the south side of the building) look to your left there is a glass walled office that makes the cards.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”