UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ClemCarter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:35 am

miamiman wrote:
I got the Chicago Plus Card. It automatically refills as needed -- I think this is the best of all the possible options, btw.



TITCR. If you're going to ride at least 5 days a week, get the monthly pass option to save a few bucks.

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:06 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:
vickers711 wrote:I'm moving from Cali to Illinois and I'm taking my car with me...anyone know the specifics of getting a new license/plates? I went to the website for the dmv but they are not very helpful...they said I "might" need to retake a driving exam and for sure a written exam...I wonder if it's even necessary to get a new DL and plates if I'm not going to be in Chicago forever and plan on going back during summers/after law school to Cali. Thoughts??


I don't live in the city yet, but I live in the Chicago suburbs, and one of the things I hear people complain about most is how expensive the "city sticker" is to pay for and obtain, so be prepared for that. I always go to the currency exchange to renew my plates, and it costs about $100.00 a year, so if it is cheaper in cali than it is in illinois, you might want to just keep your plates.



You have to have a city sticker to park in the city of Chicago. Period. Regardless of what state your vehicle is titled in. The tickets for not having one are obscene (about $75 a pop) so it's best to renew that puppy every year and get it done.

When I moved my car and license to IL a few years ago, I only had to take a written exam that was silly easy, unless you've never operated a vehicle before. You had to identify a stop sign, etc. Other than that, the IL DMV is like the DMV everywhere: come patient and ready to be charged gratuitous fees.


OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it! I don't know if I should just get Illinois plates if I'm planning on coming back to Cali...but I'm not even sure I'm still gonna have the same care 3 years from now. Its a mazda with 130k miles on it, so i'm not holding out for any miracles.

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:09 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:My fiance and I are living in South Loop



Any chance you and/or your fiance still pay Magic? It may sound totally nerdy but I haven't played in years, lost all my cards, but would be willing to buy some if anyone wants to play. If you don't play Magic, totally disregard this message...and change your avatar. It's a total tease :)

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:58 pm

vickers711 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:My fiance and I are living in South Loop



Any chance you and/or your fiance still pay Magic? It may sound totally nerdy but I haven't played in years, lost all my cards, but would be willing to buy some if anyone wants to play. If you don't play Magic, totally disregard this message...and change your avatar. It's a total tease :)


:lol:

It's a Para-card.

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Emma. wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:My fiance and I are living in South Loop



Any chance you and/or your fiance still pay Magic? It may sound totally nerdy but I haven't played in years, lost all my cards, but would be willing to buy some if anyone wants to play. If you don't play Magic, totally disregard this message...and change your avatar. It's a total tease :)


:lol:

It's a Para-card.


wow, no idea what that is.all i know is that i wanna make my own...point the way!
I would give myself trample, haste, AND lifelink.
NERD ALERT!
and people think cool girls don't play Magic. Ha! :)

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:15 pm

haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:19 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.


boooo! i'm on my own...i guess it'll just be me and 8th grade boys at the tournament then. I'm definitely making my own "para-card." And i would just like to say it saddens me that there are Magic posers on TLS. My hopes are shattered *sigh*

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ClemCarter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:22 am

vickers711 wrote:
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it!



That's because the DMV is a state agency and the city sticker is a City of Chicago thing. The Chicago City Clerk sells it:

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:17 am

ClemCarter wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it!



That's because the DMV is a state agency and the city sticker is a City of Chicago thing. The Chicago City Clerk sells it:

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html


Thanks for the link! I will def try to get on it...

Bringing your car to Chicago from out of state is such a hassle...i'm beginning to think i shoulda just left it at home :(

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 pm

vickers711 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it!



That's because the DMV is a state agency and the city sticker is a City of Chicago thing. The Chicago City Clerk sells it:

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html


Thanks for the link! I will def try to get on it...

Bringing your car to Chicago from out of state is such a hassle...i'm beginning to think i shoulda just left it at home :(

You and me both. I heard winter parking is pretty restricted, too.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:45 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it!



That's because the DMV is a state agency and the city sticker is a City of Chicago thing. The Chicago City Clerk sells it:

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html


Thanks for the link! I will def try to get on it...

Bringing your car to Chicago from out of state is such a hassle...i'm beginning to think i shoulda just left it at home :(

You and me both. I heard winter parking is pretty restricted, too.


Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:35 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.



Eh... it probably depends on your neighborhood. Finding a parking spot and avoiding street-cleaning tickets in mine is such a full-time job that it's not worth it. If you have access to safe and reliable transit where you've chosen to live, I don't think it will be such an insurmountable hassle.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:37 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.



Eh... it probably depends on your neighborhood. Finding a parking spot and avoiding street-cleaning tickets in mine is such a full-time job that it's not worth it. If you have access to safe and reliable transit where you've chosen to live, I don't think it will be such an insurmountable hassle.


Yea, this is why I have had problems making this decision because everyone has different opinions and its more expensive for me to bring my car but if I end up in the half that have told me you have to have a car, then I guess its worth it.. I just hope I dont figure out I wasted all my money bringing it and never needed it..

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:48 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.



Eh... it probably depends on your neighborhood. Finding a parking spot and avoiding street-cleaning tickets in mine is such a full-time job that it's not worth it. If you have access to safe and reliable transit where you've chosen to live, I don't think it will be such an insurmountable hassle.


Yea, this is why I have had problems making this decision because everyone has different opinions and its more expensive for me to bring my car but if I end up in the half that have told me you have to have a car, then I guess its worth it.. I just hope I dont figure out I wasted all my money bringing it and never needed it..


I brought mine and thought I was going to street park, but ended up getting a pretty good deal on parking at my building. It'll be good to not have to deal with the parking drama, but I'm going to need to find ways to use the car in order to justify the extra expense.

User avatar
johnstuartmill
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:34 pm

vickers711 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.


boooo! i'm on my own...i guess it'll just be me and 8th grade boys at the tournament then. I'm definitely making my own "para-card." And i would just like to say it saddens me that there are Magic posers on TLS. My hopes are shattered *sigh*

I don't know if I'll be good competition, but some friends taught me how to play Magic a couple months ago, so you've got at least one potential sparring partner. :)

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:33 am

Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?


I thought as 1Ls we were out of luck as far as parking spots in the school lot.

Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 am

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?


I thought as 1Ls we were out of luck as far as parking spots in the school lot.

+1

Emma. wrote:Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?


I'll be in town starting Friday.

User avatar
ellewoods110
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ellewoods110 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 am

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?


I thought as 1Ls we were out of luck as far as parking spots in the school lot.

Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?


I might be up for getting a drink. I'm still living in the suburbs, so it would depend on where and that it's not too late because I have soooo much to do before I move to Hyde Park. But I would love to meet some of you!

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?


I thought as 1Ls we were out of luck as far as parking spots in the school lot.

Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?


For the school lot yes but there are spots at the 55th and Ellis lot

User avatar
johnstuartmill
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?


I thought as 1Ls we were out of luck as far as parking spots in the school lot.

Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?

I'll be around. How does everyone's Saturday look?

hcd18122
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby hcd18122 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.



Eh... it probably depends on your neighborhood. Finding a parking spot and avoiding street-cleaning tickets in mine is such a full-time job that it's not worth it. If you have access to safe and reliable transit where you've chosen to live, I don't think it will be such an insurmountable hassle.


Yea, this is why I have had problems making this decision because everyone has different opinions and its more expensive for me to bring my car but if I end up in the half that have told me you have to have a car, then I guess its worth it.. I just hope I dont figure out I wasted all my money bringing it and never needed it..


I brought mine and thought I was going to street park, but ended up getting a pretty good deal on parking at my building. It'll be good to not have to deal with the parking drama, but I'm going to need to find ways to use the car in order to justify the extra expense.


It looks like zipcar might be another option: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/thats-a ... iving.html. I'm living inside Hyde Park, so I might take advantage of this if it looks like I need to make long trips outside of the campus area.

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:55 am

johnstuartmill wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.


boooo! i'm on my own...i guess it'll just be me and 8th grade boys at the tournament then. I'm definitely making my own "para-card." And i would just like to say it saddens me that there are Magic posers on TLS. My hopes are shattered *sigh*

I don't know if I'll be good competition, but some friends taught me how to play Magic a couple months ago, so you've got at least one potential sparring partner. :)

awesome!!

vickers711
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby vickers711 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:59 am

i'm already geared up to drive to chicago...i've never not had a car so i'm not sure how comfortable i would feel without it. I"m so torn now!! How would i be able to buy groceries and bring them home when it's super cold and snowing outside? On the other hand, i have no idea where i would be able to park since my building doesn't have a garage...

The stress continues...

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 am

vickers711 wrote:i'm already geared up to drive to chicago...i've never not had a car so i'm not sure how comfortable i would feel without it. I"m so torn now!! How would i be able to buy groceries and bring them home when it's super cold and snowing outside? On the other hand, i have no idea where i would be able to park since my building doesn't have a garage...

The stress continues...


Where are you living? Treasure Island seems OK and it is definitely walkable for a lot of Hyde Park if you needed to. It seems like enough of us will have cars that it won't be a problem getting rides to go pick up groceries.

That being said, I'm glad to have a car.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests