UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rsg87

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby rsg87 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:58 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:For the business-dress thing in our orientation.. that is dress shirt/tie right? Not suit?

I was wondering the same thing. Also are we supposed to bring that with us, wear it all day, or go home and change then come back.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Whatisthis wrote:Does anyone know if there is free wifi at all (or any) of the student housing buildings? I know at my undergrad all students in student housing had access to the University's wireless account, but at Chicago I see no mention of it on my lease or the school's website.

im living in 6027 ingleside which is close to the law school and public policy school and my future roommate, who was at the public policy school last year, said that it picks up uchicago internet, but i assume that means from the school building itself, not the grad student housing. if you're living further away in the grad student apartments somewhere, then i would assume no internet.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 pm

ellewoods110 wrote:Soo.... I looked through the schedule, and the only thing that is definite is that both sections have Civil Procedure from 11:00-12:05pm and Criminal Law from 1:30-2:35pm on Mon, Wed, and Thurs. But the latest you could possibly have class on Friday is 2:35, so that's good. (I haven't had class on Friday since high school, so that's going to take some adjusting.)

But both sections for criminal law need the same case book, "Criminal Law and Its Processes: Cases and Materials" from Aspen, 8th edition. (isbn: 735557942) and its on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Its-Processes-Materials/dp/0735557942/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282748128&sr=1-1

So that doesn't help too much, but its a little more info...

I find that schedule incredibly hard to read. Am I looking in the wrong place? How do you know what classes 1Ls take versus the ones 2Ls and 3Ls take?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm

thorntll wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:Soo.... I looked through the schedule, and the only thing that is definite is that both sections have Civil Procedure from 11:00-12:05pm and Criminal Law from 1:30-2:35pm on Mon, Wed, and Thurs. But the latest you could possibly have class on Friday is 2:35, so that's good. (I haven't had class on Friday since high school, so that's going to take some adjusting.)

But both sections for criminal law need the same case book, "Criminal Law and Its Processes: Cases and Materials" from Aspen, 8th edition. (isbn: 735557942) and its on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Its-Processes-Materials/dp/0735557942/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282748128&sr=1-1

I find that schedule incredibly hard to read. Am I looking in the wrong place? How do you know what classes 1Ls take versus the ones 2Ls and 3Ls take?

There is a color-coded key at the bottom of the page. 1L classes are in navy.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
thorntll wrote:

There is a color-coded key at the bottom of the page. 1L classes are in navy.

Ohhhhhh. Rock on.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:42 am

ellewoods110 wrote:
vickers711 wrote:I'm moving from Cali to Illinois and I'm taking my car with me...anyone know the specifics of getting a new license/plates? I went to the website for the dmv but they are not very helpful...they said I "might" need to retake a driving exam and for sure a written exam...I wonder if it's even necessary to get a new DL and plates if I'm not going to be in Chicago forever and plan on going back during summers/after law school to Cali. Thoughts??

I don't live in the city yet, but I live in the Chicago suburbs, and one of the things I hear people complain about most is how expensive the "city sticker" is to pay for and obtain, so be prepared for that. I always go to the currency exchange to renew my plates, and it costs about $100.00 a year, so if it is cheaper in cali than it is in illinois, you might want to just keep your plates.

You have to have a city sticker to park in the city of Chicago. Period. Regardless of what state your vehicle is titled in. The tickets for not having one are obscene (about $75 a pop) so it's best to renew that puppy every year and get it done.

When I moved my car and license to IL a few years ago, I only had to take a written exam that was silly easy, unless you've never operated a vehicle before. You had to identify a stop sign, etc. Other than that, the IL DMV is like the DMV everywhere: come patient and ready to be charged gratuitous fees.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anybody notice that semi-big parking lot behind Regents? I parked there for ASW and it seemed to be "free".. did I miss something? I had to move my car for the street sweepers, but I only want my car for a couple months anyways and if I can get free parking I'm willing to move my car every couple of dayd.

Yeah, you can definitely survive around Regents without paying for parking, either in that big lot behind the building or over on the streets due west. As is the case everywhere else in Chicago, you just have to be strategic about it. I.e. if you pull up at 8pm on a weeknight, don't expect to find a spot in the lot.

Whatisthis

Postby Whatisthis » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:36 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:Does anyone know if there is free wifi at all (or any) of the student housing buildings? I know at my undergrad all students in student housing had access to the University's wireless account, but at Chicago I see no mention of it on my lease or the school's website.

im living in 6027 ingleside which is close to the law school and public policy school and my future roommate, who was at the public policy school last year, said that it picks up uchicago internet, but i assume that means from the school building itself, not the grad student housing. if you're living further away in the grad student apartments somewhere, then i would assume no internet.

I am at 6051 Drexel, so we're practically neighbors. Though, I guess I am bit further away. At my undergrad, you could access the university's account from any building even just associated with the college, so I am hopeful. Not having to pay for internet service would be huge plus.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Dont know if this is helpful for anyone else, but I was bored and I had troubles reading their schedule..

--ImageRemoved--

trifles000

Postby trifles000 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks OL, this is great!

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:50 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Dont know if this is helpful for anyone else, but I was bored and I had troubles reading their schedule..

--ImageRemoved--

I feel like this should be an LSAT logic game...

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Earliest class is 10:20 for Section 2? *crosses fingers*

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 pm

I cant figure out if all of your classes are either all Section 1 or all Section 2, or if the Bigel0w sections mix between Section 1 and Section 2? The schedule confuses me a little.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:59 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I cant figure out if all of your classes are either all Section 1 or all Section 2, or if the Bigel0w sections mix between Section 1 and Section 2? The schedule confuses me a little.

I don't think they can stay together, actually. At first I thought they would be, but then I compared some of the times.

Sections B, C, and F have to be in Section 1 for Contracts because of the time they meet on Friday, which means A, D, and E are in Section 2 of Contracts, but Section A would have to be in Section 1 for Elements because of the class time. So there would at least have to be one split because of Section A there? I might be reading this wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:04 pm

California Babe wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I cant figure out if all of your classes are either all Section 1 or all Section 2, or if the Bigel0w sections mix between Section 1 and Section 2? The schedule confuses me a little.

I don't think they can stay together, actually. At first I thought they would be, but then I compared some of the times.

Sections B, C, and F have to be in Section 1 for Contracts because of the time they meet on Friday, which means A, D, and E are in Section 2 of Contracts, but Section A would have to be in Section 1 for Elements because of the class time. So there would at least have to be one split because of Section A there? I might be reading this wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

Nice LG-esque analysis. :lol:

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Emma. wrote:
California Babe wrote:

Nice LG-esque analysis. :lol:

Who says the LSAT has nothing to do with law school?

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm pretty positive we aren't in the same section for all classes, because they said they arrange it so that over the course of the year all the bigelow groups take classes with all the other bigelow groups, although i suppose its possible that they accomplish this over the other quarters.

trifles000

Postby trifles000 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 pm

So did everyone decide on where they will live? I'm renting a condo in South Loop with my boyfriend, but am wondering if I'm the only one opting out of living in Regents?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:43 pm

trifles000 wrote:So did everyone decide on where they will live? I'm renting a condo in South Loop with my boyfriend, but am wondering if I'm the only one opting out of living in Regents?

I'm gonna be in New Grad, there's at least one more person not in Regents. I know a couple of people who are living outside of Regents, but I think it once again where the overwhelming majority of the class will be residing. They really seem to have a lock on the market over there.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:52 pm

trifles000 wrote:So did everyone decide on where they will live? I'm renting a condo in South Loop with my boyfriend, but am wondering if I'm the only one opting out of living in Regents?

I'm in Wicker Park.

funkyturds

Postby funkyturds » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 pm

roommates and i are at cornell park

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Last edited by 0L Hoping for 1 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

How do we get a Metro-Card? Any student specials? Is it necessary?

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:47 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:How do we get a Metro-Card? Any student specials? Is it necessary?

They sell them at most grocery stores in the city (the ones that only last for their specified time period).

You can by one of the RFID permanent cards that can be used to store value and auto refill when they drop below a given threshold (or they can be used as a monthly unlimited pass) They can be bought online here:http://www.chicago-card.com/

I don't think there is a student discount for U of C. I'm pretty sure that the discount is that you can ride the 170,171 and 172 for free. If you will be living somewhere that will require a public transportation commute other than these buses you will want to consider a monthly card. Otherwise, the RIFD card and just keeping some money on it should probably be sufficient.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:How do we get a Metro-Card? Any student specials? Is it necessary?

They sell them at most grocery stores in the city (the ones that only last for their specified time period).

You can by one of the RFID permanent cards that can be used to store value and auto refill when they drop below a given threshold (or they can be used as a monthly unlimited pass) They can be bought online here:http://www.chicago-card.com/

I don't think there is a student discount for U of C. I'm pretty sure that the discount is that you can ride the 170,171 and 172 for free. If you will be living somewhere that will require a public transportation commute other than these buses you will want to consider a monthly card. Otherwise, the RIFD card and just keeping some money on it should probably be sufficient.

I got the Chicago Plus Card. It automatically refills as needed -- I think this is the best of all the possible options, btw.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”