UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
megaTTTron

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 pm

thorntll wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
thorntll wrote:Oh snap, Netflix just put The Paper Chase on instant play. It definitely wasn't like that a week ago when I put it on my queue. I know what I'm doing tonight...

You're a pimp thorntll, that's all you are.

Holler. I don't know why people like this movie. It's boring and the transitions are terrible. One scene a random girl takes dude's arm on the street, and the next it's morning and they're in bed talking about their dreams. And I don't really like the main character.

Well, I actually like it. lol. The love story is horrid. I fast forward to all the parts about law school. I must have watched it like 4 times during 1L. It sucks, but there is something to wonderful about it. hmm. I now want to watch it . . .

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:31 am

veeb wrote:Chicago has been, like murderville this summer, but this weekend was particularly rough. According to the headline, there were 52 shootings this weekend, leaving 8 people dead.

--LinkRemoved--

Googling the addresses, Hyde Park is out of the shooting zone, but within about 10 blocks of several of them.

I don't intend to stir up any HP hype or hysteria, just passing along the news (and reminding you not to take the green line to HP).

So are U-Chicago students potential sitting ducks...sacrificial lambs being led to slaughter?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:37 am

funkyturds wrote:UChicago really needs to simplify its financial aid and/or consolidate it all onto one page. Bouncing around FAFSA, NeedAccess, SLA, FSA, and MappingYourFuture Entrance Counseling keeps making me feel like I missed something important.

Don't forget "Profile". They require that too. :roll:

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am

PDaddy wrote:
funkyturds wrote:UChicago really needs to simplify its financial aid and/or consolidate it all onto one page. Bouncing around FAFSA, NeedAccess, SLA, FSA, and MappingYourFuture Entrance Counseling keeps making me feel like I missed something important.

Don't forget "Profile". They require that too. :roll:

I feel like every time I turn around there's something else I haven't done yet. Can they send us a checklist or something? Where's the stuff for the profile?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:05 am

Speaking of things I haven't done... The photos for the Glass Menagerie are due today.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 pm

thorntll wrote:Speaking of things I haven't done... The photos for the Glass Menagerie are due today.

You don't want to be a gargoyle!

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Is anyone doing the big sibling program?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:39 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:Is anyone doing the big sibling program?

I signed up for it. Should be a laugh, and couldn't see any reason why not to sign up. I'm sure you can have as little or as much interaction with your "sibling" as you want.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:07 pm

If today was the first "deadline" for the pictures, last year they sent out another one or two reminder emails with later "deadlines" before they made anyone a gargoyle. So don't stress about it today.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Emma. wrote:

I signed up for it. Should be a laugh, and couldn't see any reason why not to sign up. I'm sure you can have as little or as much interaction with your "sibling" as you want.

basically my thinking as well. figured they might have helpful advice about getting jobs and stuff too.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:22 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
Emma. wrote:

basically my thinking as well. figured they might have helpful advice about getting jobs and stuff too.

What did you guys put as the most important quality of a big sibling or whatever? I didn't know what to say, so I was literally like, "Uhhh, that's a tough one. Humor?"

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 pm

thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
Emma. wrote:

What did you guys put as the most important quality of a big sibling or whatever? I didn't know what to say, so I was literally like, "Uhhh, that's a tough one. Humor?"

Shit. I thought they were asking if they matched us with someone based on the info we gave about age, UG school, hometown etc, which one of those things was most important. I was like, "Oh, I don't really care, any of them or none of them."

:oops:

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Emma. wrote:

What did you guys put as the most important quality of a big sibling or whatever? I didn't know what to say, so I was literally like, "Uhhh, that's a tough one. Humor?"[/quote]

Shit. I thought they were asking if they matched us with someone based on the info we gave about age, UG school, hometown etc, which one of those things was most important. I was like, "Oh, I don't really care, any of them or none of them."

:oops:[/quote]

I couldn't decide if they meant a random quality or hometown/UG/age stuff, so I just left it blank. I wouldn't worry about it.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:46 pm

also, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do quotes properly. I hope that's not a skill they test in law school.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:33 am

TMZ has learned ... LeBron James and his mother Gloria James are being sued for millions by a man who claims he tried to prove he's the NBA star's biological father -- but LeBron and his mom tampered with the evidence in a diabolical cover-up.

The lawsuit is explosive -- in it, 55-year-old Leicester Bryce Stovell claims he met Gloria in a D.C. area bar in 1984 ... and had unprotected sex with her on the night they met. He later found out she was 15-years-old at the time ... he was 29.

According to the docs -- filed recently in federal court -- Gloria has spent the rest of her life shielding LeBron from the truth.

But the man making the claim isn't some schmuck -- dude is a Princeton graduate ... who earned a law degree from the University of Chicago ... and then became a Senior Legal Advisor for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

In his suit, Stovell claims he has a very clear recollection of the night he had "consensual sexual relations" with Gloria -- in fact, he even remembers apologizing for his sub-par performance.

Leicester claims Gloria went back to her hometown in Ohio after they hooked up -- but returned several months later to inform him she was pregnant with a boy named LeBron ... but she never specifically identified the father.

Leicester -- a self-proclaimed high school star athlete -- says he remembers telling Gloria, "Well, if he's mine, make sure he plays basketball." He claims that was the last time he saw Gloria for more than 20 years.

According to the docs, Leicester claims he reconnected with Gloria over the phone in 2007 -- when he began to think he could be LeBron's father ... partly because they look almost identical. Leicester also notes that when he saw LeBron at an NBA game he was, "struck by our similarity in appearance ... James and I are nearly if not identical height and pigmentation and have very similar athletic body types."

Leicester claims during the 2007 phone call -- Gloria denied ever meeting him -- threatened to have him physically harmed -- and told him, "LeBron's money is for his children."

A few days after the phone call, Leicester claims LeBron -- through his lawyer -- agreed to take a DNA paternity test.

Leicester claims he was given results that showed he was not LeBron's dad ... but several months later, he began to suspect that the results were tampered with ... and Gloria and LeBron were behind the fraud.

I'm one-step closer to having an all-star caliber NBA baby.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:46 am

Just got my loan letter. On the letter, is says that the 2010-11 budget is $69,510, but on the UChicago website it says it's $67,965. Did anyone else get that?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 am

thorntll wrote:Typed "June letter" into the admitted students site expecting to find last year's, but found our (Class of 2013's) June letter: --LinkRemoved--

EDIT: Whoa. I thought Orientation started Sep. 22? The letter says it starts the 20th and ends the 22nd. That changes my plans...

EDIT #2: Created my CNetID. W00t!

Now the website is saying that Orientation is the 22nd to the 24th again, even though the June letter said it's the 20th to the 22nd. --LinkRemoved--

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 am

thorntll wrote:Just got my loan letter. On the letter, is says that the 2010-11 budget is $69,510, but on the UChicago website it says it's $67,965. Did anyone else get that?

When I was talking to KV a couple weeks ago she mentioned something about the loans automatically including the extra money for a computer, so maybe that is it?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Emma. wrote:
thorntll wrote:Just got my loan letter. On the letter, is says that the 2010-11 budget is $69,510, but on the UChicago website it says it's $67,965. Did anyone else get that?

When I was talking to KV a couple weeks ago she mentioned something about the loans automatically including the extra money for a computer, so maybe that is it?

I thought you had to directly apply to the SLA if you wanted the laptop money by filling out a budget appeal form, which will be granted automatically if you apply.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:39 pm

thorntll wrote:
thorntll wrote:Typed "June letter" into the admitted students site expecting to find last year's, but found our (Class of 2013's) June letter: --LinkRemoved--

EDIT: Whoa. I thought Orientation started Sep. 22? The letter says it starts the 20th and ends the 22nd. That changes my plans...

Now the website is saying that Orientation is the 22nd to the 24th again, even though the June letter said it's the 20th to the 22nd. --LinkRemoved--

Now it is back to the 20th, and there is a 'tentative schedule' up on the website. woot!

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Emma. wrote:
thorntll wrote:

Now it is back to the 20th, and there is a 'tentative schedule' up on the website. woot!

I'm glad someone shares in my dorky excitement. Still, Chicago, you've led me astray too many times, you saucy minx.

EDIT: The July letter is out!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm

thorntll wrote:
Emma. wrote:
thorntll wrote:

I'm glad someone shares in my dorky excitement. Still, Chicago, you've led me astray too many times, you saucy minx.

:lol:

Where'd you find the July letter?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Emma. wrote:
thorntll wrote:
Emma. wrote:
thorntll wrote:

:lol:

Where'd you find the July letter?

If you go to the main site, click Students in the top right corner, then click Incoming JD Students. The July letter is in the body of the page, although not on the menu to the left. It's not that different from the June letter though.

vickers711

Postby vickers711 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 am

I think the July letter is old...

dawson1234

Postby dawson1234 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:40 am

Is anyone else a bit pissed at LeBron?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”