UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
miamiman

Silver

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by miamiman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

emrose wrote:
miamiman wrote:Anyone moving into the city in August? to Regents?
1) Yes
2) No, but maybe right in the neighborhood.
which residence?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:12 pm

miamiman wrote:
emrose wrote:
miamiman wrote:Anyone moving into the city in August? to Regents?
1) Yes
2) No, but maybe right in the neighborhood.
which residence?
Not sure yet, heading to Chi in a week or so to check out a few different pads.

This place looks pretty sweet:

[url]
Last edited by Emma. on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veeb

New

Post by veeb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Two questions for my fellow classmates:

1. So who ended up applying for Patino? I thought it wasn't worth the hassle, then I realized $9-27k is most certainly worth it. I scrambled to put together the application in just a few days.

2. For what it's worth, I'm not living in Hyde Park. I'm living in the Loop, near Millenium Park. It's maybe not ideal for 1L, since so many people advised I live in HP, but I didn't want to miss out on all the great things about downtown & living on the train lines. Anyone else with me? :)

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:18 pm

1. not me, too lazy, not really qualified, etc.

2. you're smart... i would do this too if i knew the city a little better. maybe 2L year. i couldn't find anything in south loop as cheap as graduate housing so i'm going to do that instead. plus one of my bosses grew up in chicago and told me all these exciting stories about running around hyde park when he was in high school so i decided to follow the crowd.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 am

veeb wrote:Two questions for my fellow classmates:

1. So who ended up applying for Patino? I thought it wasn't worth the hassle, then I realized $9-27k is most certainly worth it. I scrambled to put together the application in just a few days.

2. For what it's worth, I'm not living in Hyde Park. I'm living in the Loop, near Millenium Park. It's maybe not ideal for 1L, since so many people advised I live in HP, but I didn't want to miss out on all the great things about downtown & living on the train lines. Anyone else with me? :)
1. Not me. No time. 2. Me either! I'm looking at Wicker Park at the moment, because it seems as though you can get more for your money than in Lincoln Park or Lakeview. HP was overpriced and underwhelming. I could understand living there if you weren't familiar with Chicago, though.
cranberry wrote:1. not me, too lazy, not really qualified, etc.

2. you're smart... i would do this too if i knew the city a little better. maybe 2L year. i couldn't find anything in south loop as cheap as graduate housing so i'm going to do that instead. plus one of my bosses grew up in chicago and told me all these exciting stories about running around hyde park when he was in high school so i decided to follow the crowd.
South Loop is ridiculously overpriced. The bf and I were pretty serious about South Loop until we went and visited. The neighborhood is not cool enough to merit those prices for that square footage! The 192 bus was what really attracted me, but it's not worth the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am

Just ordered my UC Law sweatshirt.

<------Dork.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 am

Whole Foods lives in South Loop though :(

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm

thorntll wrote:Just ordered my UC Law sweatshirt.

<------Dork.

Wait, where did you find these sweatshirts?

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Whatisthis wrote:
thorntll wrote:Just ordered my UC Law sweatshirt.

<------Dork.

Wait, where did you find these sweatshirts?
--LinkRemoved--

Only the black one has UC Law on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:05 pm

veeb wrote:Two questions for my fellow classmates:

1. Not me. Like others, a mix of laziness and being pretty sure there'd be better qualified candidates out there. Seemed like a LOT of effort when I don't have a lot of public service experience, at least not the type that is easily quantifiable/comes across well on paper.

2. I'm heading to Chicago next week to scope out apartments. I'd probably prefer HP for 1L, but will also check out South Loop and the Millennium Park area. If I end up in Hyde Park for 1L I'll almost certainly move up north for 2L and 3L.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Anyone know what the average commute time from the South Loop or Millennium Park is via public transit? (or any of the popular neighborhoods--I am sooo unfamiliar w/ chicago) I'm trying to decide btwn regents and somewhere north.

Thanks, and congrats on getting in everyone.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Anyone know what the average commute time from the South Loop or Millennium Park is via public transit? (or any of the popular neighborhoods--I am sooo unfamiliar w/ chicago) I'm trying to decide btwn regents and somewhere north.

From Millennium Park you can jump on the Metra which will take you right down to 59th St in about 15 minutes, then you have another 10 minute/half mile walk along the midway to school. There is probably a bus that drops you closer to school though.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 am

Emma. wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:Anyone know what the average commute time from the South Loop or Millennium Park is via public transit? (or any of the popular neighborhoods--I am sooo unfamiliar w/ chicago) I'm trying to decide btwn regents and somewhere north.

From Millennium Park you can jump on the Metra which will take you right down to 59th St in about 15 minutes, then you have another 10 minute/half mile walk along the midway to school. There is probably a bus that drops you closer to school though.
From South Loop, I would get on the 192 bus at Roosevelt or Union. It's an express bus down to the UC medical area. It only goes south in the morning and north in the afternoon, but that's all you should need in theory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veeb

New

Post by veeb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:19 pm

The #2 bus looks pretty amazing (well, as far as buses go) and what I'll be taking to school from my Millenium Park apt. It's about 25-30 min commute during rush hour, up to 45 minutes during non-rush hour (counter-intuitive, yes, but it's on an express route during those times). It drops you off right in front of the law school. Otherwise, it's about a 15-minute drive, a straight shot on Lake Shore Drive.

We first looked at South Loop, but it's kind of dull and overpriced, especially compared to much cooler/livelier neighborhoods like Wicker and Lincoln Park. Living that far north though has its costs in terms of a longer, potentially not bus/train-able commute. That's why we chose the Loop - stuff to do, plus convenient for the bus. It was hard to find an affordable apartment, but with enough alerts set up we found and secured one last week.

For what it's worth, in my search, I found Google Maps to be really useful. You can plug in your potential address and the law school address, and then click on the logo for public transportation. If you're looking at South Loop / Printer's Row / the Loop, I suggest looking for apartments along the #2 and #6 bus lines. You can use http://www.Padmapper.com to plot apartments listed in Craigslist and other apartment-hunting websites - I highly recommend it. You can also sign up for alerts on that site, which is how we scored our apartment.

Good luck apartment hunting! I'm semi-familiar with Chicago and am available for limited apartment-hunting advice (for those of you not living in HP - I unfortunately don't know much about that part of town). Send me a PM if you wanna chat.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:57 am

Thanks everyone.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 am

Typed "June letter" into the admitted students site expecting to find last year's, but found our (Class of 2013's) June letter: --LinkRemoved--

EDIT: Whoa. I thought Orientation started Sep. 22? The letter says it starts the 20th and ends the 22nd. That changes my plans...

EDIT #2: Created my CNetID. W00t!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:56 am

The total estimated tuition and fees for 2010-2011 is approximately $67,965 (this does not include the optional $1500 for computer purchase or the one time $45 transcript fee).

:shock:

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:08 am

anyone know any credited places to buy secondhand furniture/furnishings within or around the u of c community?

veeb

New

Post by veeb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 pm

miamiman wrote:anyone know any credited places to buy secondhand furniture/furnishings within or around the u of c community?
My sister lives in the area, and would recommend these places (at least, according to her Yelp profile she recommends them).

Brown Elephant (reasonable prices and cool stuff): http://www.yelp.com/biz/brown-elephant- ... 2LWjltrsWw

Ravenswood Antique Mart (more pricey/designer): http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-ravenswood- ... pWtXSG_wCQ

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:08 pm

cranberry wrote:
The total estimated tuition and fees for 2010-2011 is approximately $67,965 (this does not include the optional $1500 for computer purchase or the one time $45 transcript fee).

Tuition has only increased by about $2K, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 pm

So they have 6 sections of people that you take the same classes with? Interesting.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:So they have 6 sections of people that you take the same classes with? Interesting.
Yeah, 6 "Bigelow" sections of around 30 people. Each big class has 3 sections, and they rotate it so we take at least one class with every other 1L.

Hi, JGG ::waves::

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Emma. wrote:
cranberry wrote:

Tuition has only increased by about $2K, right?
I think it has gone up more for 2Ls and 3Ls than 1Ls. From the Bursar's website:

2009:
LAW
Per Quarter
JD 1L and LLM Tuition
JD 2L and 3L Tuition

2010:
LAW
Per Quarter
JD and LLM Tuition

rabidindividualist

New

Post by rabidindividualist » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:32 pm

hey fellow classmates. first time poster, but i have been creeping around for a while. i am wondering if anyone is living in the new graduate residence hall. judging from this board, i am afraid that i might be the only law student in the building.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”