UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 pm

thorntll wrote:
onwisconsin25 wrote:
thorntll wrote:
Rand M. wrote:Anybody know when the whole email setup process happens?


June. I posted this already, but I'll post it again: --LinkRemoved--. Those are the letters Chicago sent to incoming students last year. I would assume it'll be the same this year.

Also, I've been trying to decide whether to live in Hyde Park or up north. I found this website (http://www.peekacity.com) where you can type in an address and find all the amenities (grocery stores, banks, parks, etc.) nearby. After looking in Hyde Park, I decided I definitely want to live up north.



i've been trying to decide this too. i'm from chicago so if it were solely up to me i'd live in lincoln park or wrigleyville since I don't mind commuting but my instinct tells me that i should live in hyde park for the first year. you're right though, the places to live up north are FAR superior and better value when compared with the places in hyde park.


What are the benefits of living in Hyde Park? Everyone says that they recommend it, but no one really says why. Is it because you're going to be going back and forth between your apartment and school a lot? Is it because people party in their apartments in HP?


I'd love to live up north, but I think I'll be in Hyde Park for 1L at least.

I'm not planning on going back and forth between home and school too much, but I'm guessing I'll be so busy at school that commuting for an hour each way (I figure it would be something like that, door to door) on the train or bus doesn't seem to make sense. It would also be pretty nice to be able to go home and have dinner with my SO and still head back to school in the evening if I needed to.

I also thought when half of the class lives at Regents, living up north would mean missing out on a lot of social stuff.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby tintin » Thu May 06, 2010 3:52 pm

did anyone else get an email from karla vargas asking to hold off on completing the fed gradplus loan thing till june 15th?

theres no explanation offered..wondering if this is just me or did everyone get this? i hope i didn't eff something up..

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Thu May 06, 2010 4:01 pm

tintin wrote:did anyone else get an email from karla vargas asking to hold off on completing the fed gradplus loan thing till june 15th?

theres no explanation offered..wondering if this is just me or did everyone get this? i hope i didn't eff something up..


I got it too. Kind of random, huh?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby tintin » Thu May 06, 2010 4:31 pm

emrose wrote:
tintin wrote:did anyone else get an email from karla vargas asking to hold off on completing the fed gradplus loan thing till june 15th?

theres no explanation offered..wondering if this is just me or did everyone get this? i hope i didn't eff something up..


I got it too. Kind of random, huh?


mysterious. i just got some scholarship email too....i want to apply but getting 3 recommendations and 3 referrals seems like so much, blahhhh

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Thu May 06, 2010 5:22 pm

tintin wrote:
emrose wrote:
tintin wrote:did anyone else get an email from karla vargas asking to hold off on completing the fed gradplus loan thing till june 15th?

theres no explanation offered..wondering if this is just me or did everyone get this? i hope i didn't eff something up..


I got it too. Kind of random, huh?


mysterious. i just got some scholarship email too....i want to apply but getting 3 recommendations and 3 referrals seems like so much, blahhhh


Yeah... I was more concerned about trying to fill the whole page of "Service and Leadership Work" though. :|

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby cranberry » Thu May 06, 2010 5:50 pm

it sounds like a cool fellowship, but is it worth applying with no public service experience?

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby tintin » Thu May 06, 2010 6:48 pm

emrose wrote:
tintin wrote:
emrose wrote:
tintin wrote:did anyone else get an email from karla vargas asking to hold off on completing the fed gradplus loan thing till june 15th?

theres no explanation offered..wondering if this is just me or did everyone get this? i hope i didn't eff something up..


I got it too. Kind of random, huh?


mysterious. i just got some scholarship email too....i want to apply but getting 3 recommendations and 3 referrals seems like so much, blahhhh


Yeah... I was more concerned about trying to fill the whole page of "Service and Leadership Work" though. :|


yeah, that too. all ive been doing since graduation is working a menial boring job :lol:

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 pm

+1 to menial labor

User avatar
ellewoods110
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ellewoods110 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Maybe they told us to hold off on the grad plus thing because now they can be a direct lender after the new college-loan-law, and they need time to figure it all out.

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Just bought a plane ticket to Chicago for the weekend of May 22. Couldn't make it to ASW, so I'm excited to go back to Chicago. I'll be wandering around HP and Regents if anyone wants to me to find or photograph anything particular.

trifles000
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby trifles000 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:51 pm

hey guys, i was filling out the financial aid application and the reason they ask you to hold off on the grad plus loan note is because these loans are credit based. once they do the credit check on you it is only good for a certain amount of days... thus, completing the forms now would mean the credit check would expire before the loan would be dispersed...hope that helps!

ChaotiCait
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ChaotiCait » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm

So are there any loans we should be applying for now?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Fri May 07, 2010 12:13 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:So are there any loans we should be applying for now?


I think are still supposed to fill in our UChicago student loans app before May 15th?

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby cranberry » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 pm

you fill out the fafsa and uchicago form, then uchicago tells you what loans you are eligible for, and then you pick a lender and apply. it's a bit confusing; i called them last week and that is the explanation they gave me.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Fri May 07, 2010 2:07 pm

So I'm just starting to get over the stress and uncertainty about my decision, and beginning to get really excited about school this fall. I wish we weren't starting so late! Can't wait to get back to Chicago in June to look for apartments. What are the rest of you guys doing for the summer?

User avatar
agentzer0
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby agentzer0 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:11 pm

trying to convince myself a restive and enjoyable summer is worth the foregone salary... so far, unsuccessfully

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Fri May 07, 2010 2:55 pm

agentzer0 wrote:trying to convince myself a restive and enjoyable summer is worth the foregone salary... so far, unsuccessfully


At Boalt ASW I remember someone on the student panel saying their best advice for 0Ls was to rest up before school starts. Might not be much fun being poor now but hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 pm

emrose wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:trying to convince myself a restive and enjoyable summer is worth the foregone salary... so far, unsuccessfully


At Boalt ASW I remember someone on the student panel saying their best advice for 0Ls was to rest up before school starts. Might not be much fun being poor now but hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.


When are you guys planning to move to Chicago? Unfortunately, I'm probably going to work until mid-September.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Fri May 07, 2010 4:35 pm

thorntll wrote:
emrose wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:trying to convince myself a restive and enjoyable summer is worth the foregone salary... so far, unsuccessfully


At Boalt ASW I remember someone on the student panel saying their best advice for 0Ls was to rest up before school starts. Might not be much fun being poor now but hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.


When are you guys planning to move to Chicago? Unfortunately, I'm probably going to work until mid-September.


Depends on how things go with my SO's job hunt. We could be out there as early as sometime in July, and I'd guess no later than mid-August. I love summer where I live now, but I'd be happy to be in Chicago with plenty of time before school starts.

User avatar
onwisconsin25
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:09 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby onwisconsin25 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:14 am

I live in the suburbs so I'll be in Chicago all summer! PM me if you want to meet up or need the best guide ever for the city and hopefully i'll be available!

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat May 08, 2010 8:25 pm

ahhh.. filling in that loan thing scares me. I've never applied for loans before. Typing in the maximum number... *shudders*

And we can change it from year-to-year, right? For example, I have a certain amount saved up (was gonna use for a car).. I can pay off stuff with that and then next year ask for more in loans.. amirite?

User avatar
echoi
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby echoi » Sun May 09, 2010 12:31 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:ahhh.. filling in that loan thing scares me. I've never applied for loans before. Typing in the maximum number... *shudders*

And we can change it from year-to-year, right? For example, I have a certain amount saved up (was gonna use for a car).. I can pay off stuff with that and then next year ask for more in loans.. amirite?


Loans are always a year-to-year thing

mcnicks16
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:37 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby mcnicks16 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:39 am

I'll be joining you guys as well

Anyone interested in potentially splitting a regents 2br? Also does anyone have any info on the UofC discount at regents, can't seem to find it anywhere

ChaotiCait
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun May 09, 2010 10:24 am

Here's the regents discount- --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Emma. » Sun May 09, 2010 12:00 pm

mcnicks16 wrote:I'll be joining you guys as well

Anyone interested in potentially splitting a regents 2br? Also does anyone have any info on the UofC discount at regents, can't seem to find it anywhere


Congrats/Welcome!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest