UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thorntll

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:19 am

Is anybody in the Columbia "reserve" group? Do we think that means we have to withdraw our apps when we deposit at Chicago? The Columbia letter says, "...our Admissions Committee has decided to postpone making a final decision on your candidacy... it is necessary for us to postpone making a determination on your application..." It sounds like a glorified waitlist, but I'm worried that Chicago will consider it a "pending application."

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:45 pm

pretty sure i'll be joining you folks next year (barring waitlist acceptance from berkeley- cross fingers!)

:D

anyone else looking at the grad apartments? I'm going to try and live in #21 if i can...

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:27 pm

i'm doing the grad apartments for sure... either 27 or 21. i heard 27 is the best one. there is no way i'm living in regents; it's way too expensive for a 1br and renting an apartment in chicago that doesn't include heat in the rent seems kind of ridiculous.

i was looking at 25 as well, fairfax, but the fact that there are not one but two pictures of the playground equipment is a little unsettling... especially considering all the 1brs are sandwiched between larger apartments.

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:42 pm

cranberry wrote:i'm doing the grad apartments for sure... either 27 or 21. i heard 27 is the best one. there is no way i'm living in regents; it's way too expensive for a 1br and renting an apartment in chicago that doesn't include heat in the rent seems kind of ridiculous.

i was looking at 25 as well, fairfax, but the fact that there are not one but two pictures of the playground equipment is a little unsettling... especially considering all the 1brs are sandwiched between larger apartments.

i wish they had more options that included pet-friendly apartments and parking! #14 looks awesome (you get a living room and possibly a sunroom, plus hardwood floors) but there is no parking....

but yeah, seems like a good deal. water and heat paid for, plus no pet rent, makes me very happy. no deposit either!

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 pm

echoi wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote:
echoi wrote:thorntll, check out http://www.uchicagoapartments.com if you haven't already. might be better than craigslist.

Where are you planning on living?

Not sure yet. I'd like to set up a 3-5br arrangement with some people but nearly everyone seems to be looking for 2br/regents. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably snatch up a studio/1br and live by myself in New Grad/Grad housing. You interested? :lol:

If anyone's interested in getting a nice townhouse/condo between 3-5ppl, contact me!

(also, I'm pretty sure we met at ASW but I don't remember who you were...ppl need to have more obvious usernames like mine...)

Yeah im pretty sure we met. Im down with finding a place with 3+ roommates (I live with 4 other people right now). New grad seems like it would be very convinient (but im trying to remember why people didnt like it, there was some big reason...). Will they do a regents 3 br with some kind of student discount? I didnt see that option in the flyer (only 1 and 2 br).

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:27 pm

anyone know where i can get a law school tshirt?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm

tintin wrote:anyone know where i can get a law school tshirt?

I'm not actually going to U of Chicago, but when I was seriously considering them I snooped around the online bookstore and found this: --LinkRemoved--

:)

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:

I'm not actually going to U of Chicago, but when I was seriously considering them I snooped around the online bookstore and found this: --LinkRemoved--

yeah...that was the only one i saw...but i don't want black. i have a white cat hahaa.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

tintin wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

yeah...that was the only one i saw...but i don't want black. i have a white cat hahaa.

Then get the white one :)

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:37 pm

prefontaine wrote:
tintin wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

Then get the white one :)

I think the white one is a medicine one - it's really frustrating when the images won't zoom in enough to see what the hell is written on the shirt. A bunch of the shirts at the columbia online bookstore are like that and it's really infuriating!

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Just signed the commitment form. :-)

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:I think the white one is a medicine one - it's really frustrating when the images won't zoom in enough to see what the hell is written on the shirt. A bunch of the shirts at the columbia online bookstore are like that and it's really infuriating!

I looked at the enlarged image and I think you are right, what a dumb setup.

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm

prefontaine wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:I think the white one is a medicine one - it's really frustrating when the images won't zoom in enough to see what the hell is written on the shirt. A bunch of the shirts at the columbia online bookstore are like that and it's really infuriating!

I looked at the enlarged image and I think you are right, what a dumb setup.

yeah, their website kind of sucks. it's very unclear what you are getting / what is available. argh!

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 pm

I think I remember from another thread that the UChicago Law Student Assocation (or whatever it's called) orders shirts/hoodies/etc. and that's the best way to get law school apparel.

CCN

Postby CCN » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Just sent in my Commitment form online. Looks like I'll be at Chicago in the fall. Can't wait to meet everyone.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:17 pm

I officially asked for a deferral. Class of 2014! I'm disappointed not to be in your class, but now I'll be able to use your advice/outlines/tips when I'm a 1L :D

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:18 pm

echoi wrote:I think I remember from another thread that the UChicago Law Student Assocation (or whatever it's called) orders shirts/hoodies/etc. and that's the best way to get law school apparel.

boooo, i can't find a website for this.

does anyone else think there are a lot of us on here considering the small class size?

CCN wrote:Just sent in my Commitment form online. Looks like I'll be at Chicago in the fall. Can't wait to meet everyone.

congrats!

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Guess I'm joining this party. Anything interesting happen in the past 25+ pages?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:18 pm

tintin wrote:
echoi wrote:I think I remember from another thread that the UChicago Law Student Assocation (or whatever it's called) orders shirts/hoodies/etc. and that's the best way to get law school apparel.

boooo, i can't find a website for this.

does anyone else think there are a lot of us on here considering the small class size?

CCN wrote:Just sent in my Commitment form online. Looks like I'll be at Chicago in the fall. Can't wait to meet everyone.

congrats!

It is called the Chicago Law Foundation. The website is normally http://www.chicagolawfoundation.org/, but they have not updated it from their auction. They sell a lot of law school apparel.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:50 pm

So is Chicago an underrated Public Ivy? Never heard of it.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sat May 01, 2010 10:41 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
It is called the Chicago Law Foundation. The website is normally http://www.chicagolawfoundation.org/, but they have not updated it from their auction. They sell a lot of law school apparel.

cool thanks :)

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat May 01, 2010 10:50 am

Kind of a sad commentary on the school when you can't even buy a tshirt, no?

Still totally psyched about U of C, though :D

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat May 01, 2010 11:11 am

miamiman wrote:Kind of a sad commentary on the school when you can't even buy a tshirt, no?

you're at u of c now...your t-shirt wearing days are over ;)

tintin

Postby tintin » Sat May 01, 2010 2:44 pm

doyleoil wrote:
miamiman wrote:Kind of a sad commentary on the school when you can't even buy a tshirt, no?

you're at u of c now...your t-shirt wearing days are over ;)

i plan on rocking the tshirt and jeans as long as humanly possible.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sat May 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Still totally psyched about U of C, though :D

I like how they gave us the option of either a book bag or a laptop case. I think they're trying to send us a message: "Welcome to UChicago! Get ready to work your balls off."

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”