UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
oppotomus

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby oppotomus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am

Last edited by oppotomus on Wed May 29, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:22 am

oppotomus wrote:Does Chicago allow you to stay on WLs?

Yes.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:24 pm

gahthelaw wrote:so i've filled out all the information on the commitment response form, and i've just been sitting here staring at it for an hour.

welcome to my life.... :lol:

i am afraid if i send in my deposit i will immediately regret it and want to send a check to penn

whats your excuse?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:28 pm

gahthelaw wrote:so i've filled out all the information on the commitment response form, and i've just been sitting here staring at it for an hour.

+1. I'm 99.9999% set on Chicago, but I haven't heard from Stanford, Columbia, or NYU. Not that I think I'll get in, but I'm just irritated that I'll have withdraw my application. Just WL/reject me already!

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Drink a little bit and it makes it much easier. I love Chicago, but damn... commitment is stressful.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:34 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Drink a little bit and it makes it much easier. I love Chicago, but damn... commitment is stressful.

I would really like to put down a deposit today/tonight and do just that...plus i have the next 2 days off. :mrgreen:

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm

For those who have sent in their deposit, have you received some sort of confirmation or anything that it has been received?
Also, do you just send the check to the address listed as well as fill out the form online?

I sent mine in last week and I'm getting paranoid because I haven't heard anything.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm

JGG, I checked my status checker. It reflected the deposit. :mrgreen:

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:15 pm

D Brooks wrote:Check these links out:
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

First is an article on ATL about transperency in law school graduates employment report.

Second is a list of where the UChicago Class of '09 ended up. Pretty impressive.

0 people from Chicago '09 work in Wisco? Dang. I'm assuming self-selection which makes it easier for someone like me (who tentatively wants to work in Wisco) to find a nice job there. *crosses fingers*

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:For those who have sent in their deposit, have you received some sort of confirmation or anything that it has been received?
Also, do you just send the check to the address listed as well as fill out the form online?

I sent mine in last week and I'm getting paranoid because I haven't heard anything.

Yes, I got an email confirming my commitment. Then my status checker updated.
Sent the check to the address listed on the class of 2013 front page.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:48 pm

clicked submit -- see you guys at Chi in the fall :mrgreen:

so uh, when do we get email addresses so i can join the U of C network on fbook?

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:00 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

First is an article on ATL about transperency in law school graduates employment report.

Second is a list of where the UChicago Class of '09 ended up. Pretty impressive.

0 people from Chicago '09 work in Wisco? Dang. I'm assuming self-selection which makes it easier for someone like me (who tentatively wants to work in Wisco) to find a nice job there. *crosses fingers*

Yeah since it's a really small school you'll need to go back a few years to get a large enough sample size to see where grads go in Wisconsin. I'm sure the school would furnish some names of alumni for you (especially seeing as that list originally had the names of every graduate for the Class of '09.) We only redacted them because we felt it's too much of a privacy intrusion, especially seeing as not all '09 grads will necessarily be working at those firms. The NALP/ABA rules permitted schools to count deferred associates as employed, and we've heard from at least a few '09 grads at other schools who informed us that their classmates never actually started work.

Regardless, it's an impressive list and hopefully the '10 and '11 placement aren't taking as huge a hit as they are elsewhere. G'luck to those venturing off to Chicago next year, and feel free to send updates on employment information to LST when you can.

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:For those who have sent in their deposit, have you received some sort of confirmation or anything that it has been received?

I had the same nervousness. I sent my deposit on the 17th and they haven't received it. I called today and they said that their mail has been really backed up for some reason and a lot of people have had the problem, but that if you filled out your commitment response form by the 30th you should be fine as long as you notify them that the check is in the mail.

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 am

observationalist wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

Yeah since it's a really small school you'll need to go back a few years to get a large enough sample size to see where grads go in Wisconsin. I'm sure the school would furnish some names of alumni for you (especially seeing as that list originally had the names of every graduate for the Class of '09.) We only redacted them because we felt it's too much of a privacy intrusion, especially seeing as not all '09 grads will necessarily be working at those firms. The NALP/ABA rules permitted schools to count deferred associates as employed, and we've heard from at least a few '09 grads at other schools who informed us that their classmates never actually started work.

Regardless, it's an impressive list and hopefully the '10 and '11 placement aren't taking as huge a hit as they are elsewhere. G'luck to those venturing off to Chicago next year, and feel free to send updates on employment information to LST when you can.

It might be hard to find a job in Wisconsin too. If you go to Marquette or Wisconsin for law school, you don't have to take the bar to practice in Wisconsin. Because of that, a disproportionate amount of those people stay where they go to school so as a result your competition is harsher, especially since there are tons of alumni from those law schools in Wisconsin that may tend to favor those graduates.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 am

So... anyone looking for room mates to share a 2/3bd come September?

Looking at somewhere other than regents because of the price, although there seems to be plenty of places right outside of regents that are pretty reasonable (500 or so a month).

I'm looking at this pretty good alt to Regents, pretty much right across the street from it:

Grad housing building at 1369 E. Hyde Park Boulevard.

http://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing ... park.shtml

At about 400 - 500 a month, sharing with 1 or two people here would be my ideal situation. Anyone interested please send me a message.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 am

Still haven't heard from Stanford or NYU. I don't think I'll get in, but I paid $75 and I want an answer!

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:09 pm

So, who's living in Regents? I can't decide. The BF thinks it looks ridiculously expensive, but there isn't much more on Craigslist. Plus, the one bedrooms are really small for two people (750 sq. ft. or less).

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:29 pm

thorntll, check out http://www.uchicagoapartments.com if you haven't already. might be better than craigslist.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm

echoi wrote:thorntll, check out http://www.uchicagoapartments.com if you haven't already. might be better than craigslist.

Where are you planning on living?

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:50 pm

quetzalcoatl wrote:
echoi wrote:thorntll, check out http://www.uchicagoapartments.com if you haven't already. might be better than craigslist.

Not sure yet. I'd like to set up a 3-5br arrangement with some people but nearly everyone seems to be looking for 2br/regents. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably snatch up a studio/1br and live by myself in New Grad/Grad housing. You interested? :lol:

If anyone's interested in getting a nice townhouse/condo between 3-5ppl, contact me!

(also, I'm pretty sure we met at ASW but I don't remember who you were...ppl need to have more obvious usernames like mine...)

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Where can I find pictures of New Grad?

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 pm

http://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing ... hall.shtml

click on the links beneath 'approximate rent ranges' for pictures of the rooms

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 pm

echoi wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote:

Not sure yet. I'd like to set up a 3-5br arrangement with some people but nearly everyone seems to be looking for 2br/regents. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably snatch up a studio/1br and live by myself in New Grad/Grad housing. You interested? :lol:

If anyone's interested in getting a nice townhouse/condo between 3-5ppl, contact me!

I'm sure the bros would be down for this Animal House style of living, echoi. :P

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:35 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
echoi wrote:
quetzalcoatl wrote:

I'm sure the bros would be down for this Animal House style of living, echoi. :P

I am Broseidon, King of the Brocean! :P

But really, I'm not looking for a mini-frat house or anything like that at all. I've just found it a lot more easy going to live with 3+ people rather than living with only one other roommate. If you get along great with your roommate, that's cool, but in my experience, it's helped to have other people around if you don't really click with someone, if only to serve as a sort of buffer b/w them and you. I'd like to live with some other people my 1L year, but don't really feel like risking a very uncomfortable one-on-one roommate living situation either. Went through that my sophomore year and it sucked.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to say I am super excited to meet all of you in September. I probably met some of you at ASW, but I am terrible at figuring out who is who. I am probably going to live in Regents as well.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”