UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thorntll

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 am

gotmilk? wrote:oh very cool. i can't say i'm the biggest fan of tacoma. it can be very beautiful though at times. too many hipsters though i think...

You totally look like a hipster. I like hipsters, myself. I find them entertaining. I used to hang with the neo-hippies in my younger days (they had the best weed), and hipsters just seem like the newest iteration of them. Middle-class white kids trying desperately to be counter-culture... I can totally relate to that.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am

echoi wrote:this is like arguing over questions on the LSAT before scores are released :lol:

Except this time we can call them and ask for the right answer :D

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:44 pm

thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:oh very cool. i can't say i'm the biggest fan of tacoma. it can be very beautiful though at times. too many hipsters though i think...

You totally look like a hipster. I like hipsters, myself. I find them entertaining. I used to hang with the neo-hippies in my younger days (they had the best weed), and hipsters just seem like the newest iteration of them. Middle-class white kids trying desperately to be counter-culture... I can totally relate to that.

Thornttl you didn't strike me as hipster, at least not from what my facebook stalking can deduce. I figured you for a sporty girl.

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:13 pm

thorntll wrote:ChaotiCait, I have a feeling we're going to be BFFs. I'm making you a friendship bracelet as we speak.

I really hope its one with multiple colors of embroidery floss! I *think* I was just on you FB page, because I believe were friends, and you love hefeweizen?!! You need to come live with me so we can have a fridge full of it. Have you tried the Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:08 pm

ValiantVic wrote:Thornttl you didn't strike me as hipster, at least not from what my facebook stalking can deduce. I figured you for a sporty girl.

No, I'm not a hipster. And I'm definitely not sporty. I guess I would consider myself artsy, if artsy people liked The Hills and poop jokes.

ChaotiCait wrote:
thorntll wrote:ChaotiCait, I have a feeling we're going to be BFFs. I'm making you a friendship bracelet as we speak.

I really hope its one with multiple colors of embroidery floss! I *think* I was just on you FB page, because I believe were friends, and you love hefeweizen?!! You need to come live with me so we can have a fridge full of it. Have you tried the Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss?

Yep, that was me. I do love hefeweizens, but I haven't had that one. Or maybe I have and I just didn't remember the name, because jesus, who would remember that name?!

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:12 pm

thorntll wrote:

I'm curious what makes me look like a hipster... is it just cuz i have long hair and plastic rimmed glasses in my pics? The only thing counter-culture about me is my cynicism toward American politics, as I see both parties failing entirely to do anything productive. and i would much rather eat fast food than anything organic :)
Sorry if I come across as too defensive. I guess you'll meet me soon enough haha. Listening to Slim Thug mixtapes right now instead of anything indie ;)

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:14 pm

thorntll wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:Thornttl you didn't strike me as hipster, at least not from what my facebook stalking can deduce. I figured you for a sporty girl.

No, I'm not a hipster. And I'm definitely not sporty. I guess I would consider myself artsy, if artsy people liked The Hills and poop jokes.

ChaotiCait wrote:

Yep, that was me. I do love hefeweizens, but I haven't had that one. Or maybe I have and I just didn't remember the name, because jesus, who would remember that name?!

feel free to pass me a hefeweizen and tell a poop joke while you're at it. sounds like a good time to me.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:32 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
thorntll wrote:

ChaotiCait wrote:

feel free to pass me a hefeweizen and tell a poop joke while you're at it. sounds like a good time to me.

Poop jokes are classic. Though I would have to say I'm more of a Blue Moon type of guy and clearly The City > The Hills.

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:22 pm

ValiantVic wrote:
Poop jokes are classic. Though I would have to say I'm more of a Blue Moon type of guy and clearly The City > The Hills.

Oh I love blue moon, its my general wheat beer because $12 for a six pack is usually too much for me. Have you had honey moon? Its the nectar of the gods. Thorntll, I only remember the name (I had to look up the spelling) because a bar near me always has it for $3 a pint and its delicious.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Hey! :x This is the UChicago thread -- shouldn't you guys be studying? :wink:

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:37 pm

echoi wrote:this is like arguing over questions on the LSAT before scores are released :lol:

Ha, +1.

ranovr32 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I was sitting in the way back for the information session because I was forced to arrive late.. but I thought she said 20% received and 70% tried for them.

I was at ASW, JollyGG is correct, except it is 75% of the class that try for clerkships

You guys could be right, but I find it hard to believe that less than a third of the people who try for clerkships out of Chicago get them, especially when we're talking about any clerkship and not just COA or something. It just makes a lot more sense (to me at least) that 70% of those that try get clerkships, and that makes up about ~20% of the class.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:39 pm

ValiantVic wrote:

Blue Moon is my favorite beer. And I made a poop joke while touring Regents to test the waters with some Chicago people. I don't wanna make a blowjob joke and then have someone post a thread on TLS about how immature people at ASW are.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:09 pm

What was the poop joke?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:11 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:I heard it as 70% who want them get them.

That's what I heard as well. They also said that those who don't get clerkships straight out of law school are able to get them within a few years.

I remember it as "70% of 3Ls who pursue clerkships get them, and some of the 30% who don't get one at graduation get one a few years later."

You remember wrong.... Only 20% end up receiving them. If 70% of the class received them we would have the largest amount of clerks in the US by far. You can look the stuff up, I think we sent somewhere in the 30's last year to clerkships.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:13 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
thorntll wrote:

I'm curious what makes me look like a hipster... is it just cuz i have long hair and plastic rimmed glasses in my pics? The only thing counter-culture about me is my cynicism toward American politics, as I see both parties failing entirely to do anything productive. and i would much rather eat fast food than anything organic :)
Sorry if I come across as too defensive. I guess you'll meet me soon enough haha. Listening to Slim Thug mixtapes right now instead of anything indie ;)

Then you are definitely a hipster.......Read the hipster handbook, every hipster denies being a hipster.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:

Blue Moon is my favorite beer. And I made a poop joke while touring Regents to test the waters with some Chicago people. I don't wanna make a blowjob joke and then have someone post a thread on TLS about how immature people at ASW are.

I know, I was like ummm, maybe we won't be friends. My favorite blowjob joke isn't a joke at all, but an actual quote from my roommate, who is hilarious and awesome but a little clueless: "Don't you hate it when you're giving a guy a blowjob, and he changes the channel?" I was like, "WTF MOLLY?! HE'S WATCHING TV?!?!?!"

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

Ha, +1.

ranovr32 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I was sitting in the way back for the information session because I was forced to arrive late.. but I thought she said 20% received and 70% tried for them.

I was at ASW, JollyGG is correct, except it is 75% of the class that try for clerkships

You guys could be right, but I find it hard to believe that less than a third of the people who try for clerkships out of Chicago get them, especially when we're talking about any clerkship and not just COA or something. It just makes a lot more sense (to me at least) that 70% of those that try get clerkships, and that makes up about ~20% of the class.

I was told at Virginia that roughly 60% of those seeking clerkships get them, so I think that lends credence to AA's POV.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
thorntll wrote:

Then you are definitely a hipster.......Read the hipster handbook, every hipster denies being a hipster.

That's a fair point, but I think your logic is flawed. A non-hipster would also deny being a hipster. Perhaps it would've been more persuasive if I had said that I was a hipster. hmmmm....

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:I heard it as 70% who want them get them.

That's what I heard as well. They also said that those who don't get clerkships straight out of law school are able to get them within a few years.

I remember it as "70% of 3Ls who pursue clerkships get them, and some of the 30% who don't get one at graduation get one a few years later."

You remember wrong.... Only 20% end up receiving them. If 70% of the class received them we would have the largest amount of clerks in the US by far. You can look the stuff up, I think we sent somewhere in the 30's last year to clerkships.

I didn't say 70% of the class got clerkships. I said 70% of students who pursued them got one. Your "30% of the entire class" figure, if accurate, is consistent with what I remembered.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:51 am

Hey guys,

I went to the Chicago ASW and they gave out free bags to all the admitted students. My SO and I both got bags that say UChicago on them and since we've decided to go elsewhere, we're not keeping them.

If anyone wants either bag, I'm willing to ship it to you free of charge as long as you pay shipping!

They look like:
--LinkRemoved--
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/p ... um=organic

Let me know!

EWalsh.Arts

Postby EWalsh.Arts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:

Oh I love blue moon, its my general wheat beer because $12 for a six pack is usually too much for me. Have you had honey moon? Its the nectar of the gods. Thorntll, I only remember the name (I had to look up the spelling) because a bar near me always has it for $3 a pint and its delicious.

If you like Blue Moon then you've GOT to try Spotted Cow. It's available only in Wisconsin....they may deliver though? Maybe if you're all super nice to me I'll bring some down from Madison for you in the fall

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm

onwisconsin25 wrote:
ChaotiCait wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:

If you like Blue Moon then you've GOT to try Spotted Cow. It's available only in Wisconsin....they may deliver though? Maybe if you're all super nice to me I'll bring some down from Madison for you in the fall

mmm spotted cow. I think UChi actually had some at the wine mess? I saw New Glarus and assumed it was Spotted Cow, but I didn't get there in time before everyone took it.

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:59 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
onwisconsin25 wrote:
ChaotiCait wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:

mmm spotted cow. I think UChi actually had some at the wine mess? I saw New Glarus and assumed it was Spotted Cow, but I didn't get there in time before everyone took it.

yeah i saw that...pretty sure it was fat squirrel

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:00 pm

So I was just on the Chicago transit website, and they don't have a student discount, but they have this thing called the U-Pass that gives students of almost every college in the city unlimited rides for a discounted price. There's lots of schools on there from Northwestern to Le Cordon Bleu, but UChicago isn't! So apparently we will not be able to get discounted public transit, unless they decide to join the program this summer :x

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”