UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ValiantVic

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ValiantVic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

I have a feeling that after the changes implemented by the new dean that Chicago will soon be on par with Columbia in the USNWR rankings. That's my realistic assessment. My unrealistic rankings have them at Stanford's level.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:47 pm

I've been trying to figure out why Chicago's clerkship placement seems unusually low, and I stumbled across this --LinkRemoved-- exchange on law clerk addict. It's rather coarse and offensive in places, but in all that mud are assertions that Chicago under reports its clerkships due to lack of interest and support from the school. The posters actually call out the primary advisor by name for discouraging clerkship candidates. I don't want to be alarmist but I haven't heard any accusations like this from any other school, and the raw clerkship numbers as reported (only about 10%) do suggest something's not right. What do you guys think?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Based on the job placement talk at ASW, they said something like half of all their clerks are alumni, and alums have access to the same clerkship services that current students do. I read that same thread though, and it was a bit disconcerting. I don't remember the exact number from the talk either (maybe someone can fill it in) but I seem to remember they said about 75% of students try for clerkships.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Based on the job placement talk at ASW, they said something like half of all their clerks are alumni, and alums have access to the same clerkship services that current students do. I read that same thread though, and it was a bit disconcerting. I don't remember the exact number from the talk either (maybe someone can fill it in) but I seem to remember they said about 75% of students try for clerkships.

I believe it was ~70% of those that try, get them. Could be mistaken, though.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Based on the job placement talk at ASW, they said something like half of all their clerks are alumni, and alums have access to the same clerkship services that current students do. I read that same thread though, and it was a bit disconcerting. I don't remember the exact number from the talk either (maybe someone can fill it in) but I seem to remember they said about 75% of students try for clerkships.

FWIW I heard: Q: How many students try for clerkships obtain them?
A: 70% go in wanting clerkships, then reality sets in (grades) and only 20% of the 70% that went in wanting a clerkship obtained them.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm

Ha, apparently we all heard something different. Maybe it was intentionally ambiguous... :lol:

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:16 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Ha, apparently we all heard something different. Maybe it was intentionally ambiguous... :lol:

The lady did move away from the mic when she answered so everyone might have heard her response differently but I was at the front.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:17 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Ha, apparently we all heard something different. Maybe it was intentionally ambiguous... :lol:

The lady did move away from the mic when she answered so everyone might have heard her response differently but I was at the front.

I heard it as... 70% of those that want one get one

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:18 pm

AngryAvocado may well be correct in that 70% who try get them. It would also jive with this idea that their clerkship advisor is telling people to go away if they have low grades. I wish this kind of information were simply on their website.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Reinhardt wrote:AngryAvocado may well be correct in that 70% who try get them. It would also jive with this idea that their clerkship advisor is telling people to go away if they have low grades. I wish this kind of information were simply on their website.

Maybe...but the other part of that thread was that the advisor alienates people who DO go on to clerk and that they don't keep track of them well. It was alleged that the advisor told a top 20% guy with a Wachtell offer to buzz off. While I'm relieved to be reassured that Chicago placed more into clerkships than the stats that are floating around, it's very disturbing to think that they aren't doing enough (anything?) to support their clerks and that they aren't even keeping a solid count.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:16 pm

I heard it as 70% who want them get them.

This story of lack of support is concerning even though it runs counter to every impression I've gotten about the career office from everyone I've talked to. I definitely am interested in clerking.

Also, this is my first TLS post in a while I think... I apparently hid away from all the TLS people at ASW b/c other than Kretzy, who I already knew outside of this board, I don't think I hung out with any of you.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:24 pm

gotmilk? wrote:Also, this is my first TLS post in a while I think... I apparently hid away from all the TLS people at ASW b/c other than Kretzy, who I already knew outside of this board, I don't think I hung out with any of you.

I'm going to guess you're the only person in the Facebook group who went to your college. :-) Oh well, my screenname is a joke, I might as well have made it my social security number. Also, I only have one password for everything, and every ex-boyfriend from the past 8 years knows it.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:32 pm

gotmilk? wrote:I heard it as 70% who want them get them.

This story of lack of support is concerning even though it runs counter to every impression I've gotten about the career office from everyone I've talked to. I definitely am interested in clerking.

Also, this is my first TLS post in a while I think... I apparently hid away from all the TLS people at ASW b/c other than Kretzy, who I already knew outside of this board, I don't think I hung out with any of you.

FWIW, I think clerkships are entirely separate from the career office, and in any case I found career services to be very prompt and friendly when I had some questions about geographic placement.

EDIT: clerkships actually appear to be a joint effort between the faculty and the Office of Career Services. The complaints have heard have been directed at a faculty member, not a member of OCS
Last edited by soullesswonder on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:32 pm

That's what I heard as well. They also said that those who don't get clerkships straight out of law school are able to get them within a few years.

Jay W. Weatherman

Postby Jay W. Weatherman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 pm

I clearly heard that 70 percent indicate an interest in/apply for clerkships, and as I recall, the career services woman who spoke at the panel did not say how many got them. I was at a table later (during one of the lunches) specifically designated to talk to current students about clerkships. The student at the table said that to have a shot at an appellate clerkship you're probably going to need to be in the top 20/25 percent of the class, and need to be in the top third if you're looking at a district clerkship.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 pm

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:I clearly heard that 70 percent indicate an interest in/apply for clerkships, and as I recall, the career services woman who spoke at the panel did not say how many got them. I was at a table later (during one of the lunches) specifically designated to talk to current students about clerkships. The student at the table said that to have a shot at an appellate clerkship you're probably going to need to be in the top 20/25 percent of the class, and need to be in the top third if you're looking at a district clerkship.

A NU 3L who will be doing an COA clerkship this fall said you need to be top ~5%? Especially if you want a feeder judge.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:25 am

D Brooks wrote:
Jay W. Weatherman wrote:I clearly heard that 70 percent indicate an interest in/apply for clerkships, and as I recall, the career services woman who spoke at the panel did not say how many got them. I was at a table later (during one of the lunches) specifically designated to talk to current students about clerkships. The student at the table said that to have a shot at an appellate clerkship you're probably going to need to be in the top 20/25 percent of the class, and need to be in the top third if you're looking at a district clerkship.

A NU 3L who will be doing an COA clerkship this fall said you need to be top ~5%? Especially if you want a feeder judge.

They were just talking about all clerkships, not COA clerkships. I'm pretty sure even at Chicago you need to be on Law Review (top 25) to be considered for a COA clerkship.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 am

thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:Also, this is my first TLS post in a while I think... I apparently hid away from all the TLS people at ASW b/c other than Kretzy, who I already knew outside of this board, I don't think I hung out with any of you.

I'm going to guess you're the only person in the Facebook group who went to your college. :-) Oh well, my screenname is a joke, I might as well have made it my social security number. Also, I only have one password for everything, and every ex-boyfriend from the past 8 years knows it.

what a good guess!!! yep, i'm the one with the goofy profile picture. wearing a tie since i'm going to law school so i have to look extra formal and douchey, right?

i guess i'll have to go stalk the group for you next time i'm on facebook (aka really soon)

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:37 am

gotmilk? wrote:
thorntll wrote:

what a good guess!!! yep, i'm the one with the goofy profile picture. wearing a tie since i'm going to law school so i have to look extra formal and douchey, right?

i guess i'll have to go stalk the group for you next time i'm on facebook (aka really soon)

You are easy to find. PS, I was born and grew up in Tacoma

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:01 am

gotmilk? wrote:
thorntll wrote:

gosh you were all the way at the bottom of the group for me... took me forever. why you gotta be like that?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
thorntll wrote:

You are easy to find. PS, I was born and grew up in Tacoma

oh very cool. i can't say i'm the biggest fan of tacoma. it can be very beautiful though at times. too many hipsters though i think...

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:12 am

I was sitting in the way back for the information session because I was forced to arrive late.. but I thought she said 20% received and 70% tried for them.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:44 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I was sitting in the way back for the information session because I was forced to arrive late.. but I thought she said 20% received and 70% tried for them.

I was at ASW, JollyGG is correct, except it is 75% of the class that try for clerkships

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:10 am

summerschooled wrote:

That's what I heard as well. They also said that those who don't get clerkships straight out of law school are able to get them within a few years.

I remember it as "70% of 3Ls who pursue clerkships get them, and some of the 30% who don't get one at graduation get one a few years later."

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 am

this is like arguing over questions on the LSAT before scores are released :lol:

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”