UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ValiantVic

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:44 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
swimbrad wrote:(and the girls were actually kinda cute)

+1000. I once worried about the purported homeliness of the UChicago student body. No longer.

+1

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:24 pm

ValiantVic wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
swimbrad wrote:(and the girls were actually kinda cute)

+1000. I once worried about the purported homeliness of the UChicago student body. No longer.

+1

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this...

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 pm

parker09 wrote:Can anyone give any details on how ASW went?

Yes!

Students
The first night I was there, I hung out mostly with my friend who's a 2L at Chicago and his law school circle. Those guys were REAL chill -- they seemed happy with Chicago overall, and were willing to pay their good experiences forward by ensuring that I had a good time when we went out on the town with them. As far as the rest of the student body goes, I didn't have the same immediate rapport with them as I did with friends of friends (an unreasonable expectation, I'd think), but the ones I got to know pretty well were sociable and interesting. I was ED, so I went to ASW mostly to figure out my living situation, and I concluded that I would have lived with almost all of the guys I talked to.

The down-to-Earth-ness wasn't limited to current students, either: the admits who were either already committed to UChicago, or who seemed pretty certain of their matriculation, were amiable without fail, whereas the people who seemed less likely to attend actually were a little on the wet side. (This might be explained by noting that people who have overriding reasons to go to another school are less likely to get fully emotionally invested in Chicago's ASW, but honestly, the weekend was such a good time that I'd look on these people as fuddyduddies even if this alternative account were correct.) The only exceptions were a couple of dudes who were a little too fratty for my tastes, but apparently, all of those guys were from the South, so I'm willing to give them a personality handicap. :wink:

I was also impressed with the ideological diversity of the student body. I'm a fairly liberal atheist, but if I went to a school where most everyone was like me, I don't think it'd be as interesting, so it was heartening to see a healthy mix of atheists, liberals, libertarians, conservatives, and religious people. I was also a bit taken aback by how integrated all the social groups were. A little bit of clannishness is to be expected, but I didn't even get the impression of that -- my 2L friend's buddy, who was apparently very active in the AA and liberal student groups, seemed equally comfortable hanging out with the conservative group as with the hippies like me. Chalk that up to the intimate class size, I guess.

buildings
The facilities are unreal. Maybe I'm only impressed because I went to a large state school (UCLA), but I was blown away by the general quality of the classrooms, auditoriums, and library. The rest of the campus is real pretty, too -- I'm a fan of the city's architecture generally, but the Gothic shit they have going on at the U of C is great.

And yes, the chairs in the law school ARE very comfortable. :D

career services, etc?

They had a panel with the head of career services, and she struck a credible, reassuring tone of both realism and optimism. She noted a high number of deferrals for the most recent class of job-seekers (76%, I think), but she seemed comfortable being upfront with the bad news because the other figures were impressive (96% employment at graduation even for the class of 2010; upwards of 70% of people who pursued clerkships obtained them, etc.) These figures were partially corroborated by my experience with current students as well: although people intimated that it was a lot of work to get the positions they wanted, everyone I talked to had lined up something pretty impressive. The bottom line here is that you shouldn't not go to Chicago because of the job prospects.

I think this is an appropriate place to make a somewhat related point: the faculty is as accessible as they are amazing. Like Kretzy, I also sat in on Nussbaum's class (I was the douche with the brown hair on the right side of the classroom about halfway back who argued for the cognitivist position), and even counting the other prospectives, there weren't more than forty people in the lecture. After class, I joined a small group of people in continuing the discussion with the professor. My 2L buddy is a student in that class, he shrugged off that level of interaction as par for the course. (He also introduced me to Brian Leiter, who was just chilling out in the lounge shooting the shit with some prospectives and currents. The mirthful picture of him in the UChicago brochure seems a good indication of his general mood.) This high level of faculty accessibility probably goes a long way toward explaining Chicago's absurd placement into clerkships and academia, for which faculty recommendations are key.

So yeah, that was my takeaway from the visit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them here, or to PM me if you have a more personalized query. :)
Last edited by johnstuartmill on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echoi

Postby echoi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:05 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:The only exceptions were a couple of dudes who were a little too fratty for my tastes, but apparently, all of those guys were from the South so I'm willing to give them a personality handicap. :wink:

sup bro 8)

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 pm

echoi wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:The only exceptions were a couple of dudes who were a little too fratty for my tastes, but apparently, all of those guys were from the South so I'm willing to give them a personality handicap. :wink:

sup bro 8)

here we go with the bro-ness again :)

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's not that I think that all frat guys are douchenozzles, it's just that I can personally only handle it up to a certain amount before I start getting weirded out.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:54 pm

echoi wrote:

sup bro 8)

add me to the list :) But I bet me and echoi could drink stuartmill under the table haha.

Im withdrawing my apps from penn and columbia. See you guys in the fall.

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:14 pm

I took a lot of pictures which I can post here, including ones of regents. Any requests? Also, I need to figure out who all you guys are. I was the girl in the fuchsia dress on the last day.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:I took a lot of pictures which I can post here, including ones of regents. Any requests? Also, I need to figure out who all you guys are. I was the girl in the fuchsia dress on the last day.

Did you ever get your "walking on water" picture? Mine's pretty sweet lol. I'd really like to see some pics of Regents and the library (I don't remember if you got any, but that's the one area I didn't take any pictures). Thanks!

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 pm

summerschooled wrote:
ChaotiCait wrote:I took a lot of pictures which I can post here, including ones of regents. Any requests? Also, I need to figure out who all you guys are. I was the girl in the fuchsia dress on the last day.

Did you ever get your "walking on water" picture? Mine's pretty sweet lol. I'd really like to see some pics of Regents and the library (I don't remember if you got any, but that's the one area I didn't take any pictures). Thanks!

Yeah I did, but you can see the tile underneath so I'll have to do another later lol. I didnt take any of the library, kinda forgot, but I did get lots of regents, I couldn't find you on the FB group, are you in it? I'm posting the picture on FB right now.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:40 pm

Is it awkward that I'm on the WL but still read this thread religiously?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:41 pm

summerschooled wrote:

i took a walking on water pic for someone, but i never got one of my own -- definitely will need to do that as soon as we get there in the fall

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
summerschooled wrote:

i took a walking on water pic for someone, but i never got one of my own -- definitely will need to do that as soon as we get there in the fall

Hey, maybe you took mine! I'm tempted to make it my profile pic now that I've decided on Chicago :D You'll have to get one for yourself asap

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm

What did you guys think of Regents?

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Pictures for all!!! (with model numbers for Regents)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... id=5253384

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:Pictures for all!!! (with model numbers for Regents)

Is it possible to upload these on photobucket or something for those who don't have facebook?

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:56 pm

ValiantVic wrote:

Is it possible to upload these on photobucket or something for those who don't have facebook?

Its supposed to work for everyone, even if they dont have facebook. Is it not working?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Is it awkward that I'm on the WL but still read this thread religiously?

Nope.

Bitch.

We have to pinky swear that if either of us get in we will lobby Dean Perry to let the other in... deal?

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks, those were great! I'll see if I can put some of mine up later, too.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Great weekend. I over-slept (no alarm clock on phone = fail.. and the one I downloaded didnt work) and missed the mock class which I heard was pretty cool. Although I heard they called on Wisco people. That woulda had me sweating. :P

The actual students who are there now were pretty awesome. I was impressed. I expected bad things.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 am

ChaotiCait wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:

Its supposed to work for everyone, even if they dont have facebook. Is it not working?

I can only see the first picture. I can't see the rest of the album :(

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:09 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Great weekend. I over-slept (no alarm clock on phone = fail.. and the one I downloaded didnt work) and missed the mock class which I heard was pretty cool. Although I heard they called on Wisco people. That woulda had me sweating. :P

The actual students who are there now were pretty awesome. I was impressed. I expected bad things.

Ah. I take it you were one of the kids he called on who weren't there :)

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:20 am

Try this one, I may have just been retarded

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 4990fe500c

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Try this one, I may have just been retarded

This one works.. thanks for posting!

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Try this one, I may have just been retarded

Did they say you could buy some of the apartments pre-furnished? That would be awesome.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”