UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ValiantVic

Bronze

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by ValiantVic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 pm

thorntll wrote:My one and only deep-dish experience happened at Gino's East in Chicago. Uuugghhh it's like effing ground beef soup.
If it's anything like a Shepherd's Pie then I'm excited.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:04 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:Does anyone know if they have deli sandwiches in Chicago like they do in NYC? The sandwiches there have like a quarter pound of meat on them. I've heard there's NYC style pizza, and I'm hoping they have deli too. I love the food in NYC, I'm hoping it'll be just as good in Chicago.
Chicago is a great "meat and potatoes" type of place. I can only imagine its delis are meatastic. Of course nothing compares to a NY deli, but ChiTown does well in the food department from the places I've been. I want to head over to the Ghirardelli chocolate place at some point because I heard that's awesome. Does anyone know if I can get some decent Indian food there? I'm going to miss my local indian buffet :(

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 pm

We current students have your info already and have been emailing you all.

As far as food, I personally lost about 5-10% of my body weight first quarter because of the lack of street pizza or decent sandwiches in Chicago vs New York. Thankfully I found Rajun Cajun in Hyde Park and my jeans no longer fall off. I'm not a fan of Chicago food as compared to New York food, but there are a few real gems. I don't have much time to explore whereas in NY delicious food was on every corner.

EDIT: Indian Food = Rajun Cajun = Savior of the remaining meat on my bones. Sooooo good.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:We current students have your info already and have been emailing you all.

As far as food, I personally lost about 5-10% of my body weight first quarter because of the lack of street pizza or decent sandwiches in Chicago vs New York. Thankfully I found Rajun Cajun in Hyde Park and my jeans no longer fall off. I'm not a fan of Chicago food as compared to New York food, but there are a few real gems. I don't have much time to explore whereas in NY delicious food was on every corner.

EDIT: Indian Food = Rajun Cajun = Savior of the remaining meat on my bones. Sooooo good.
Oh thank god for this

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Chicago has there fair share of decent deli's and such from watching the travel channel and food channel. I can't think of any off the top of my head that are famous like the NY deli's or that could compare taste wise. But when I visited Chicago there was tons of great food.

ps I got my contact info for ASW, but they told me to wait 24 hrs before I contact him. I haven't heard from him yet, so I'm sure I'll get an email tonite.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Have fun at ASW, everybody. I wish I could come! Alas, it wasn't worth the vacation time and money since I've already decided on Chicago anyway. Let me know how awesomely fun it is.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:50 am

Maybe nobody cares about this but me, but I found the letters they sent out to 0Ls last year. They're at --LinkRemoved--. I was looking for the laptop requirements, and they're in the July letter.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:28 am

Man, ASW was so awesome. I'm definitely going now. I think I saw some of you there!

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:25 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Man, ASW was so awesome. I'm definitely going now. I think I saw some of you there!
+1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:08 am

ChaotiCait wrote:Man, ASW was so awesome. I'm definitely going now. I think I saw some of you there!
+ eleventy billion.

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 am

Totally agree. ASW was amazing! Still not sold on the pizza, but everything else was great. :lol:

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:05 pm

ASW was awesome agree that Ginos East was not great, but the beer was. I dont know if I met any TLSrs. Anyone who is going to Chicago though, PM me so I can send you my facebook info. I am going there for sure, already turned in my Regents app.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:23 pm

summerschooled wrote:
Totally agree. ASW was amazing! Still not sold on the pizza, but everything else was great. :lol:
+1. I almost outted myself as a TLSer when I commented that the pizza was TTT. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I actually ended up meeting quite a few TLSers but they weren't the ones that posted frequently. I think I have an idea who a few of you are (particularly those whose names are similar to their real names ;) ) but I was surprised I didn't meet more people from TLS actually.

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

ValiantVic wrote:I actually ended up meeting quite a few TLSers but they weren't the ones that posted frequently. I think I have an idea who a few of you are (particularly those whose names are similar to their real names ;) ) but I was surprised I didn't meet more people from TLS actually.
lol, i forget who you are. where'd you sit at that table with all the TLS'ers relative to me?

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:44 pm

I was the tool who dressed up for this thing.

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm

yeah...you did look like a huge tool

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:52 pm

echoi wrote:yeah...you did look like a huge tool
I keep it tooly, that's how I roll.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Can anyone give any details on how ASW went? Students, buildings, career services, etc? I wasn't able to make it (abroad). (Though I did hear in another thread though that the new LRAP still hasn't been unveiled.)

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:07 pm

I enjoyed it.. .thought the building looked cool - and provided lots of natural light in the library (important, b/c i will prly live there)

The students were surprisingly normal (and the girls were actually kinda cute)

I was super-impressed with the faculty and administration, they were very helpful and passionate about UChicago... let me know if you have any more specific questions

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 pm

parker09 wrote:Can anyone give any details on how ASW went? Students, buildings, career services, etc? I wasn't able to make it (abroad). (Though I did hear in another thread though that the new LRAP still hasn't been unveiled.)
I had fun. Lots of admitted students, the current students ran the gamut from quite nerdy and socially awkward to really fun and entertaining (I played drinking games with my tour guide at Cubby Bear later that night). My mock class, Nussbaum's, was very engaging, and the chairs are super comfy...a small perk, I know, but one I think is kind of important :)

The building is nicer than the photos make it seem. Not tons of natural light, except in the library, and Hyde Park is much nicer than I thought it would be, except until you head down near 63rd to catch the Green Line.

The career services panel was quite good. I don't remember tons of the particulars, but I came away fairly impressed by the willingness to talk openly about the bad economy (thanks to the guy who asked "can you tell us some horror stories"...seriously, best question of the two days).

Faculty was amazing. Except they got rocked by Ross the 1L in trivia. I felt a little bad for them. :D

Sorry I can't give more concrete info. I was disappointed with no LRAP particulars, after Dean Perry had said we'd get all the specifics announced at ASW when I met her in person. Dean Richardson, though, was great, and very very helpful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:16 pm

parker09 wrote:Can anyone give any details on how ASW went? Students, buildings, career services, etc? I wasn't able to make it (abroad). (Though I did hear in another thread though that the new LRAP still hasn't been unveiled.)
All the current and prospective students were chill for the most part. People say it's intense but I doubt it is anymore intense than NYU and Columbia is. It's an academic school. People are there to learn and that's evident in the interests of the student body. You don't go to Chicago as a stepping stone to a career, you go to Chicago to go to Chicago and of course it isn't a bad place to be for whatever you want to do afterward.

The buildings were all gorgeous (I don't know who but someone was trashing the law school's building as ugly. I couldn't disagree more. But you can see for yourself by googling it.) I was actually blown away not only by the beauty of the buildings, but the variety as well. I have never been to a place where I could be satisfied just walking around and taking it in. Chicago was the place for me (it didn't hurt that the weather was gorgeous).

I think the career services is very committed to making sure you not only get a job, but get the job you want. It's been a tough economy but Chicago has done better than average on account of its small class size and the demand for students. I know that they are working on boosting their clinic offerings and public interest outreach. I'm confident with the new Dean coming from UCLA (which is strong in both those areas) that Chicago will improve in both those respective categories. Most importantly, I talked to some students who decided to change their career paths late in the game (pub. interest/govt to private) and career services was not only able to get them an internship, but a great one at that. Also, Chicago faculty have great relationships with many judges around the country so if a clerkship is your thing, those contacts will be vital to your success in pursuing that interest. Another great thing about Chicago is the city itself. It offers a wide variety of opportunities for anything you want to do, specifically in your 1L year. I don't believe the same could be said for schools that are located in smaller cities/towns.

All in all it was a great experience. Everyone has his/her own perspective but to be honest I spoke to quite a few people who were looking for something they didn't like about Chicago at ASW and couldn't find one thing about it they didn't like.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:19 pm

swimbrad wrote:(and the girls were actually kinda cute)
+1000. I once worried about the purported homeliness of the UChicago student body. No longer.

JuanaB

New

Post by JuanaB » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Chicago: where fun goes to die.

swimbrad

Bronze

Post by swimbrad » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:43 pm

JuanaB wrote:[strike]Chicago[/strike]Law School: where fun goes to die.
FTFY

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”