UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ValiantVic

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:46 pm

thorntll wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:Since I'm bored I'm going to start a "Name One Thing You Love And One Thing You Hate About Chicago Thread".

Love: Deep Dish Pizza
Hate: Cubs

Love: [strike]Deep Dish Pizza[/strike] Cubs
Hate: [strike]Cubs[/strike] Deep Dish Pizza

St. Louis-style thin crust is the way to go.

I believe I may have stumbled upon my polar opposite...

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:58 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:Since I'm bored I'm going to start a "Name One Thing You Love And One Thing You Hate About Chicago Thread".

This

I agree with what you said, and the manner in which you said it.

ellewoods110

Postby ellewoods110 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:11 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

This

I agree with what you said, and the manner in which you said it.

+1 to all of this... am I the only one upset that we are going to the Cubby Bear for ASW?? Absolutely ridiculous.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Bears...Beets...Battlestar Galactica.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

ValiantVic wrote:Bears...Beets...Battlestar Galactica.

Lol what does BSG have to do with Chicago?

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Core wrote:

nothing - it's a famous quote from "The Office"

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Core wrote:

If someone could find something that either beets or Battlestar Galactica has to do with Chicago I would be impressed. Challenge!

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:46 pm

On another note, does anyone know someone who is currently attending U of C?

sweetsugar

Postby sweetsugar » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Sent in my deposit yesterday :)

Anyone have any opinions on the Algonquin? Or graduate student housing?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:49 pm

thorntll wrote:

What the hell do you mean st.louis style thin crust lol!? Possibly confused with New York style thin crust?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:54 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
thorntll wrote:

What the hell do you mean st.louis style thin crust lol!? Possibly confused with New York style thin crust?

Nah, St Louis pizza really is amazing. President Obama, a Chicago native, even admits this. His fav pizza place is called Pi, which is located in St Louis. I went to Pi and there is a pic of Obama eating there. They even said that Obama ordered Pi pizza to be sent all the way to the White House. And btw, the pizza was AMAZING. The whole "sauce on top of the cheese" was a bit odd, but boy was it good.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Yeah I understand St. Louis might have a damn good pizza spot.... But Pizza can only come in two variations Chicago Deep Dish or NY style (this includes Sicilian), there has and never will be a Kentucky,St.Louis, or Arizona style pizza! Its like saying I prefer Washington style BBQ, there is no such thing.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:59 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Yeah I understand St. Louis might have a damn good pizza spot.... But Pizza can only come in two variations Chicago Deep Dish or NY style (this includes Sicilian), there has and never will be a Kentucky,St.Louis, or Arizona style pizza! Its like saying I prefer Washington style BBQ, there is no such thing.

Don't tell that to a native of St. Louis or they just might... Oh who am I kidding? They are so nice out there that they would just let it slide.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:17 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Yeah I understand St. Louis might have a damn good pizza spot.... But Pizza can only come in two variations Chicago Deep Dish or NY style (this includes Sicilian), there has and never will be a Kentucky,St.Louis, or Arizona style pizza! Its like saying I prefer Washington style BBQ, there is no such thing.

Maybe there are only two different types of pizza in regards to crust but I think there are some distinct regional pizzas out there. I would say California Pizza Kitchen is the case in point for this. The crust is softer than the traditional NY pizza crust and puts an emphasis on interesting toppings such as the BBQ pizza (barbeque sauce instead of regular marinara) or the Santa Fe (avocado, onions, peppers). I would argue that the variations in toppings are sufficiently distinct to label one pizza "California Style" as opposed to "NY Style." And then of course there are things like focaccia bread or other "breadier" pizzas which one could not place in either the Chicago or NY category. They may not be thought of as pizzas, yet they deliver a pizza-like culinary experience. Just some food for thought.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:23 pm

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza. On the right side there is a list of many different varieties of pizza. I think it would be possible to make an argument that from the strict differences in crust, toppings, and visual aesthetics that there are more than two distinct pizza types. I will concede that the NY "thin crust" and Chicago "deep dish" take up a large part of the pizza market, but I do not believe that they are as dominant in our popular consciousness as the Democrat/Republican party dynamic is. The US pizza model is a multi-pizza system modeled after a German or Israeli party system as opposed to our two-party system.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Does Chicago offer a travel stipend for the ASW?

GhostDynasty

Postby GhostDynasty » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Has anyone been told who they will be staying with for ASW yet? I have not?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:03 pm

dakatz wrote:Does Chicago offer a travel stipend for the ASW?

Yes, up to 200. You have to show receipts and it only covers transit, not hotels and stuff like that.
GhostDynasty wrote:Has anyone been told who they will be staying with for ASW yet? I have not?

No, I haven't. I am getting kind of worried about this because we are supposed to set up our own plans with our host as far as meeting up. Oh well, I guess they know what they are doing since they do this every year. Seems like we should definitely hear tomorrow (hopefully).

arb44

Postby arb44 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Rand M. wrote:
dakatz wrote:Does Chicago offer a travel stipend for the ASW?

Yes, up to 200. You have to show receipts and it only covers transit, not hotels and stuff like that.
GhostDynasty wrote:Has anyone been told who they will be staying with for ASW yet? I have not?

No, I haven't. I am getting kind of worried about this because we are supposed to set up our own plans with our host as far as meeting up. Oh well, I guess they know what they are doing since they do this every year. Seems like we should definitely hear tomorrow (hopefully).

I emailed the coordinating person, and they said they were sending out emails about hosts tomorrow afternoon.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:22 pm

arb44 wrote:I emailed the coordinating person, and they said they were sending out emails about hosts tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the info.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 am

My one and only deep-dish experience happened at Gino's East in Chicago. Uuugghhh it's like effing ground beef soup.

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Does anyone know if they have deli sandwiches in Chicago like they do in NYC? The sandwiches there have like a quarter pound of meat on them. I've heard there's NYC style pizza, and I'm hoping they have deli too. I love the food in NYC, I'm hoping it'll be just as good in Chicago.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Another day has passed and I can't help but wonder if anyone has been given the contact info for their ASW host? Seems like they are starting to cut it kind of close.

nordicsair

Postby nordicsair » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

From the admissions twitter, around 10am today. I guess we're all just waiting....
Admits: ASW logistics and overnight hosting assignments will go out over email late this afternoon.
about 7 hours ago via web

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I just got an e-mail dealing with the logistics. The host info is apparently coming soon in a separate email.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”