UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jerjon2

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:29 pm

treefity350 wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:Does anyone know where the most convenient place buy a parking spot would be if you were commuting to the law school? And how far away it is. It is of pretty significant importance to me.

Depends. I know a ton of people who commute and don't own parking spots. So long as you show up early in the AM (ie, before 9) you can find a spot somewhere within a half a mile from the school. There's free parking all down the midway and on several side streets near the school. If you really must buy a spot, I think you can usually find a spot in the new hospital lot, which is like 4 blocks away, but I have no idea how much those spots cost. Contact admissions, they'll give you the scoop.

Thanks, I will look into that. It shouldn't be too difficult for me to get there early, I would only be commuting from Kenwood.

Kojack

Postby Kojack » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:33 pm

How difficult is it to get around Chicago without a car?

Is it the kind of city where you need a car or your SOL?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:22 pm

How much is Regents a month? I will likely be living there.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Kojack wrote:How difficult is it to get around Chicago without a car?

kojick, u're from miami? I'm in broward. holla.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:40 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:How much is Regents a month? I will likely be living there.

--LinkRemoved--

Click "rent ranges" near the bottom. There's also a small discount for law students, I believe.

On an unrelated note, I was flipping through the Admitted Students' Handbook and I was pretty surprised by how few graduates end up in NYC. The pie chart on pg. 48 shows that only 2% end up in the entire New England region, which seems incredibly low even factoring in self-selection and the like. Was anyone else surprised by that?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Any one get their Find Aid emails yet......
I've already ripped out all of my hair waiting

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Chicago's public transportation is much better than Miami's (granted, that's not exactly a high standard) and having a car definitely isn't necessary. From what I've heard, it does make it a lot easier to live outside of Hyde Park, though. If you're planning to live near school you should be okay without one.

efelleman

Postby efelleman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Last edited by efelleman on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm

A guy I know lived in Hyde Park last year w/ out a car, and is currently living in Pilsen without one.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 pm

just booked my flight for ASW! can't wait to come hang out!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

Does anyone know where to find the study abroad opps? I have been staring at their website for like an hour but can't seem to find them.

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:07 am

Anyone else feel like the south is underrepresented in the admitted student events? I haven't seen a single event in this section of the country.

treefity350

Postby treefity350 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 pm

You're definitely not SOL without a car. But if you're not used to the cold, you'll really wish you had a car in the winter. I came up without a car, but the second it hit 15 degrees I called my brother and had him drive my car up--I'm from North Carolina, I'm not sitting in the fucking cold for half an hour waiting for the bus. Shit.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Does anyone know where to find the study abroad opps? I have been staring at their website for like an hour but can't seem to find them.

Chicago doesn't have a study abroad program! Sux doesn't it, but we are allowed to do another schools with permission from all three schools (ours, theirs, foreign institution) during the first semester of our 3L.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:Anyone else feel like the south is underrepresented in the admitted student events? I haven't seen a single event in this section of the country.

Hell yeah, HYSCCN act like there aren't people who live below the mason dixon line. It is really starting to piss me off!

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:Does anyone know where to find the study abroad opps? I have been staring at their website for like an hour but can't seem to find them.

Chicago doesn't have a study abroad program! Sux doesn't it, but we are allowed to do another schools with permission from all three schools (ours, theirs, foreign institution) during the first semester of our 3L.

:( sounds very difficult.

Drea1919

Postby Drea1919 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Just sent in my deposit! So excited! Planning on living in the south loop...or maybe gold coast.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:14 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

This is a huge mark against them for me. NYU +1

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:16 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

Its not that difficult, especially if say the undergrad you went to has a lawschool that does study abroad. I have to admit, this is one downside about Chicago. I really planned on studying abroad while I was in law school because I didn't have the chance UG.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

This is a huge mark against them for me. NYU +1

Living in New York IS like studying abroad lol

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Living in New York IS like studying abroad lol

haha, for me living anywhere in the US outside of new york is like studying abroad

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I don't know, I lived in the northeast (Jersey and SI) for the majority of my life. I moved to SoFlo, after and I have to say that NY is pretty ridiculous. That is the only place in the world that will have 7 different languages spoken on 1 block at any given time. I have a suggestion for you get on the N train and go from manhattan all the way to the last stop in Queens. I guarantee that you will hear at least 5 different languages. Its pretty amazing, but I am over COL, rude people, dirty air, and HIPSTERS

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 pm

ranovr32 wrote:I don't know, I lived in the northeast (Jersey and SI) for the majority of my life. I moved to SoFlo, after and I have to say that NY is pretty ridiculous. That is the only place in the world that will have 7 different languages spoken on 1 block at any given time. I have a suggestion for you get on the N train and go from manhattan all the way to the last stop in Queens. I guarantee that you will hear at least 5 different languages. Its pretty amazing, but I am over COL, rude people, dirty air, and HIPSTERS

i agree the COL is ridiculous, but it's understandable that it would cost more to live in the best place in the entire world. and to be honest, i'm a little afraid of the niceness of people not from the east coast. it's like they want something from me.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:I don't know, I lived in the northeast (Jersey and SI) for the majority of my life. I moved to SoFlo, after and I have to say that NY is pretty ridiculous. That is the only place in the world that will have 7 different languages spoken on 1 block at any given time. I have a suggestion for you get on the N train and go from manhattan all the way to the last stop in Queens. I guarantee that you will hear at least 5 different languages. Its pretty amazing, but I am over COL, rude people, dirty air, and HIPSTERS

i agree the COL is ridiculous, but it's understandable that it would cost more to live in the best place in the entire world. and to be honest, i'm a little afraid of the niceness of people not from the east coast. it's like they want something from me.

HAHAHA I went to Chi for an internship last summer. I EFFING loved the people, I went otu and partied with kids from U of Indiana, Valpraiso, U of Illinois etc. The locals at the bars were so kool, and Mid_West kids know how to have a blast without any of the negative BS you get on teh east coast. I have to say for me NY isn't the best city in the world. Its dirty, many of the amenities can be had in much cleaner and sunnier cities. I will say that NY has an intangible energy unlike any of the American cities I have been too. I'm not cool with the condition of the city, outisde of Manhattan, NY is pretty much a dump. I lived there so I know.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:40 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

HAHAHA I went to Chi for an internship last summer. I EFFING loved the people, I went otu and partied with kids from U of Indiana, Valpraiso, U of Illinois etc. The locals at the bars were so kool, and Mid_West kids know how to have a blast without any of the negative BS you get on teh east coast. I have to say for me NY isn't the best city in the world. Its dirty, many of the amenities can be had in much cleaner and sunnier cities. I will say that NY has an intangible energy unlike any of the American cities I have been too. I'm not cool with the condition of the city, outisde of Manhattan, NY is pretty much a dump. I lived there so I know.

i'll agree that outside of manhattan is pretty dirty, but there's an incredible amount of culture (read as: FOOD) there that you just can't get in such abundance anywhere else. though i live in a pretty quiet, green area of manhattan so i guess it helps to know i can visit the dirty crowded pushy parts and then come home

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”