UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
johnstuartmill

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:28 pm

The locations for the coast-to-coast Admitted Student receptions ("Wine Messes", I'm guessing?) are up. New York, Washington, D.C., Boston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles will all apparently get visits from Dean Schill. The RSVP forms are up, but the dates and times aren't available yet.

I'm almost certainly going to the Los Angeles event, work schedule permitting. Will I see any of you guys there?

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:55 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:The locations for the coast-to-coast Admitted Student receptions ("Wine Messes", I'm guessing?) are up. New York, Washington, D.C., Boston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles will all apparently get visits from Dean Schill. The RSVP forms are up, but the dates and times aren't available yet.

I'm almost certainly going to the Los Angeles event, work schedule permitting. Will I see any of you guys there?

Uhhh... I clicked on that link, and it looks exactly the same way it always has. Where are you seeing this schedule?

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:38 am

The RSVP forms were actually on the law school's homepage, right at the very top. They're not there anymore. The coding appeared to be screwed up, though -- maybe they took it down because it was a mistake.

Edit: Here's one of the RSVP forms. I guess they're still in the process of putting everything up and making it coherent.

Kojack

Postby Kojack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Hey guys, first time poster on this thread.

21yo Male from Miami. Look forward to meeting you all.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Kojack wrote:Hey guys, first time poster on this thread.

Congrats I'm 21 and from palm beach county, pretty close to you. You thinking about attending ASW?

PS anyone get their Financial Aid letters emailed yet?

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

ranovr32 wrote:

Congrats I'm 21 and from palm beach county, pretty close to you. You thinking about attending ASW?

I'm also 21 and from Miami (female, though). A little worried about the cold, but I think I'm willing to risk it for Chicago :) I'll definitely be at the ASW, so hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you guys there.

Kojack

Postby Kojack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm

summerschooled wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

I'm also 21 and from Miami (female, though). A little worried about the cold, but I think I'm willing to risk it for Chicago :) I'll definitely be at the ASW, so hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you guys there.

Yeah im pretty sure I will be attending admitted students day. The cold prospect of the cold is pretty horrifying for a South Florida guy.

Today at the U of Miami it was about 60 degrees and everyone was wearing those fluffy boots that girls like to wear, scarves, and I saw one dude with gloves on.

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Have any of you guys been on the weekly admitted student chat groups?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Kojack wrote:
summerschooled wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:

Yeah im pretty sure I will be attending admitted students day. The cold prospect of the cold is pretty horrifying for a South Florida guy.

Today at the U of Miami it was about 60 degrees and everyone was wearing those fluffy boots that girls like to wear, scarves, and I saw one dude with gloves on.

Its about 44 where I am at and ready to die. Chicago is worth it for 3 years, but barely lmao

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 pm

was anyone else surprised by how all of the students during the chat said that regents is the best living option for 1Ls, despite it being more expensive? i definitely was, especially after a lot of us on here have seemingly concluded that looking at grad student housing is a really good idea

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:08 pm

gotmilk? wrote:was anyone else surprised by how all of the students during the chat said that regents is the best living option for 1Ls, despite it being more expensive? i definitely was, especially after a lot of us on here have seemingly concluded that looking at grad student housing is a really good idea

everyone i've talked to at the law school has recommended regents for 1L. Like everyone else here I'm not exactly sure why... but I'm going to follow their advice.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:was anyone else surprised by how all of the students during the chat said that regents is the best living option for 1Ls, despite it being more expensive? i definitely was, especially after a lot of us on here have seemingly concluded that looking at grad student housing is a really good idea

everyone i've talked to at the law school has recommended regents for 1L. Like everyone else here I'm not exactly sure why... but I'm going to follow their advice.

i think its the community you develop in regents that's really the big draw. though i also spoke with a friend who already lives in chicago, and she recommends sucking it up and commuting from a cooler hood, especially if you're used to/prefer a more urban lifestyle.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:14 pm

I think a lot of it has to do with where they themselves lived as 1Ls. I've spoken to students who lived in other apartments in Hyde Park, and they loved it. I'll probably look for an apartment on Craigslist if I end up at Chicago.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:39 pm

summered is right, selection bias.

Also, anyone get financial aid info this as promised? Or did we all wait in vain?

zoey15

Postby zoey15 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 pm

im so curious to hear where people end up living. regents seems nice, but i dont know that i can really justify the extra couple of hundred dollars a month. what about the other high-rise buildings in the area-- anyone know people who have lived in windermere, twin towers, the flamingo, the algonquin?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 pm

freeflowfox wrote:summered is right, selection bias.

Also, anyone get financial aid info this as promised? Or did we all wait in vain?

This is literally the only thing I care about........
All the housing options look more then adequate, even the "crappy" ones.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:45 pm

yeah housing looks way classier than what i'm used to. we should all organize to live in one of the other nice high rise apartments so we still get the community like we would in regents. so it'd basically be the same as regents except a couple hundred bucks a month cheaper.

echoi

Postby echoi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

zoey15 wrote:im so curious to hear where people end up living. regents seems nice, but i dont know that i can really justify the extra couple of hundred dollars a month. what about the other high-rise buildings in the area-- anyone know people who have lived in windermere, twin towers, the flamingo, the algonquin?

i dont know about the others, but i distinctly remember reading bad stuff about the flamingo when i was researching housing options. apparently there's a bar/club on the ground floor which leads to a lot of noise, cops, crowds, etc.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:43 am

I also am neurotically waiting for financial aid notification. While thedy said it would come last week, I understand that they are hugely busy. I'd rather wait two weeks more and have my app carefully reviewed.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:50 pm

gotmilk? wrote:yeah housing looks way classier than what i'm used to. we should all organize to live in one of the other nice high rise apartments so we still get the community like we would in regents. so it'd basically be the same as regents except a couple hundred bucks a month cheaper.

I would love to do this, but I have an 85lb American Bulldog, so its gotta be giant dog friendly.
And still no financial aid email..............

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 pm

In order to receive financial aid packages, what exactly is supposed to be sent in? Is it just FAFSA and Need Access?

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 pm

dakatz wrote:In order to receive financial aid packages, what exactly is supposed to be sent in? Is it just FAFSA and Need Access?

Yeah thats all they need.

treefity350

Postby treefity350 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Hey all,

Current 2L here, just wanted to use this board as some free advertising for my place in Hyde Park. If anyone is coming up to Chicago early, I have a big apartment in Hyde Park, two blocks from the school, available June 1st (but could start later) that I'm looking to sublet until August 31st (you could extend the lease for another year after that if you wanted). It's a HUGE 1 br + office (almost double the size of a Regent's place), free parking is available, pets allowed, rent would be 850/mo (but may go up by 20 or 30 bucks at the time of renewal). PM me or respond on this thread if interested.

ETA: This is a university owned building--Grad Student Housing.

Also, as to this Regents/somewhere else discussion, I would say the operative question is how important it is to you to live in a "law school community." For me, it was nice to be able to get away from that--I had enough friends in Regents that I could go hang out there, but I felt that it was a bit of a dormy feel, and was glad not to be there. Next year I will definitely be making the move up north. Lakeview or Wicker Park probably.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:45 pm

Does anyone know where the most convenient place buy a parking spot would be if you were commuting to the law school? And how far away it is. It is of pretty significant importance to me.

treefity350

Postby treefity350 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:02 pm

jerjon2 wrote:Does anyone know where the most convenient place buy a parking spot would be if you were commuting to the law school? And how far away it is. It is of pretty significant importance to me.

Depends. I know a ton of people who commute and don't own parking spots. So long as you show up early in the AM (ie, before 9) you can find a spot somewhere within a half a mile from the school. There's free parking all down the midway and on several side streets near the school. If you really must buy a spot, I think you can usually find a spot in the new hospital lot, which is like 4 blocks away, but I have no idea how much those spots cost. Contact admissions, they'll give you the scoop.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”