UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gotmilk?

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:57 am

agentzer0 wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:So, how many people are planning on living in regents? (and are any guys looking for a roommate)

+1 for regents, I think, and for looking for a roommate. but I mean... are you awesome??

agentzer0 you continue to impress me with your awesomeness. and i pm-ed you, jerjon. for the record, i am also looking for a roommate, probably for regents.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 am

forgive me if this info is publicly available, but how much does regents cost? With roommate/without roommate? No one else is considering any other options? There's a place half a block from the school, almost right on 61st, that costs like 450 a month.

echoi

Postby echoi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 pm

freeflowfox wrote:forgive me if this info is publicly available, but how much does regents cost? With roommate/without roommate? No one else is considering any other options? There's a place half a block from the school, almost right on 61st, that costs like 450 a month.

--LinkRemoved--

-->click on 'rent ranges' at the bottom

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:08 pm

echoi wrote:
freeflowfox wrote:forgive me if this info is publicly available, but how much does regents cost? With roommate/without roommate? No one else is considering any other options? There's a place half a block from the school, almost right on 61st, that costs like 450 a month.

--LinkRemoved--

I thought I read that U of C had negotiated reduced rent for its students living in regents?

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:28 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
echoi wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I thought I read that U of C had negotiated reduced rent for its students living in regents?

--LinkRemoved--

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:03 pm

woah where is that?!?

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:34 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
echoi wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

ontology comes through again. if this flier is right, though, U of C didn't accomplish much of a reduction.

To the previous; there do seem to be some much better deals in the Hyde park area, much closer to the law school in some cases (after a cursory browsing of Craigslist). Still I'll probably go Regents as I'll need all the human interaction I can get to avoid seasonal depression for 8 months of the year. (when did snow go from an awesome occasion to a pain in the ass?)

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:20 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
ontology comes through again. if this flier is right, though, U of C didn't accomplish much of a reduction.

To the previous; there do seem to be some much better deals in the Hyde park area, much closer to the law school in some cases (after a cursory browsing of Craigslist). Still I'll probably go Regents as I'll need all the human interaction I can get to avoid seasonal depression for 8 months of the year. (when did snow go from an awesome occasion to a pain in the ass?)

I have to keep myself entertained during the week somehow. At least until my next vacation, which starts this saturday... :D I think the average Frenchie works as many hours during the entire year as we will in a single month once we start our careers.

Agentzer0, if you're looking for that much human interaction, the international house might be a good fit.

Anyone interested in the possibility of sharing a 2bd in the university owned apartments? I was thinking #25, but I'm flexible. http://reo.uchicago.edu/graduate_housin ... park.shtml

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:09 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

I have to keep myself entertained during the week somehow. At least until my next vacation, which starts this saturday... :D I think the average Frenchie works as many hours during the entire year as we will in a single month once we start our careers.

Agentzer0, if you're looking for that much human interaction, the international house might be a good fit.

Anyone interested in the possibility of sharing a 2bd in the university owned apartments? I was thinking #25, but I'm flexible. http://reo.uchicago.edu/graduate_housin ... park.shtml

Ontology, after looking at the university owned housing application, it appears like you don't get to pick which complex you want...
i could be wrong though, since you seem to be better than most here at figuring these things out.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:16 am

gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:Anyone interested in the possibility of sharing a 2bd in the university owned apartments? I was thinking #25, but I'm flexible. http://reo.uchicago.edu/graduate_housin ... park.shtml

Ontology, after looking at the university owned housing application, it appears like you don't get to pick which complex you want...
i could be wrong though, since you seem to be better than most here at figuring these things out.

No, you're right. You can request specific buildings, and I've talked to a current grad student who told me that most of the people he knew got their first choice. Then again, I've also been told that we would get our financial aid decisions...and that was actually in writing :roll: :wink:

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:24 am

ontologyfail wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:Anyone interested in the possibility of sharing a 2bd in the university owned apartments? I was thinking #25, but I'm flexible. http://reo.uchicago.edu/graduate_housin ... park.shtml

No, you're right. You can request specific buildings, and I've talked to a current grad student who told me that most of the people he knew got their first choice. Then again, I've also been told that we would get our financial aid decisions...and that was actually in writing :roll: :wink:

ok that's cool and good to know... if i didn't get to choose (or at least have some say) i would probably not consider university housing.

i would like that financial aid decision however...

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:37 am

I bet the financial aid decisions have been slowed down somewhat with the myriad of people who likely wrote financial-need qualification addendums after that online chat.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:46 am

Yup... I totally wrote something, she also said long is better than short, so I'm guessing that many people wrote long ones.

Thanks, ontology. But guys, is it just me, or is Regents mad expensive?

The 61st street one that costs 450 a month I think i found on either craigslist or UChicago's own buy and sell site. Although I highly doubt I'll live there, seems too dangerous and too far away from everything but the law school.

As for human interaction, Grad housing and places like international house sound just as good as Regent's, and at half the price. How did Regent's manage this near monopoly hold on Chicago law students with that usurious price?!?

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 am

Also to Ontology:

1369 E. Hyde Park Boulevard, the big 10 floor graduate housing place, why not share a 3 bedroom? It cuts costs down to about 430 per person.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 am

freeflowfox wrote:Also to Ontology:
1369 E. Hyde Park Boulevard, the big 10 floor graduate housing place, why not share a 3 bedroom? It cuts costs down to about 430 per person.

I suppose if two people looking for a third approached me I would consider it, but I'm hesitant about 3 roommate situations when you don't know the other people in advance. Two against one disagreements on rules for the apartment can go south pretty fast. We're all trying to strike a balance between comfort during school and the amount we take out in loans. Sharing a 2 bd in the school owned apartments puts me far enough below the student budget that I don't feel the need to push that even farther, but obviously we're all going to have our own calculus.

freeflowfox wrote: How did Regent's manage this near monopoly hold on Chicago law students with that usurious price?!?

If you look back at threads from a few years ago, it appears that once upon a time, the prices at Regents for students were fairly reasonable. Once they became entrenched as The Place To Live, they could start jacking up the prices, knowing that most incoming students would rather pay what they're asking than risk being left out of the social scene.

echoi

Postby echoi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:19 am

TaipeiMort wrote:I bet the financial aid decisions have been slowed down somewhat with the myriad of people who likely wrote financial-need qualification addendums after that online chat.

I missed the chat, could someone explain what this is?

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 am

Sorry, have the chat but IP numbers are included in the chat room and I don't want to post those.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 am

i went through the chat and deleted IPs. if you want the text PM me

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:07 pm

Can I just say... HOW FREAKING EXCITED I AM?! I am so pumped to start at Chicago.

September can't come soon enough.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

To EChoi:

you can see the transcript of the chat with the financial aid dean Ms. Karla Vargas on the admitted students website, under "getting in touch with the community" and "Chat rooms". I think.

Basically she answers a bunch of very pertinent questions about financial aid, very good info.

To Ontology:

Understood, I have the same reservations about moving in with people i don't know, but much deeper reservations about taking even a cent more in loans. That said then, anyone looking to share a 3 bedroom at http://reo.uchicago.edu/graduate_housin ... park.shtml ? It works out to be about 450 a person if we include internet. This is very preliminary as I am not even 100% on going yet, just putting out some feelers.

echoi

Postby echoi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:07 pm

freeflowfox wrote:To EChoi:

you can see the transcript of the chat with the financial aid dean Ms. Karla Vargas on the admitted students website, under "getting in touch with the community" and "Chat rooms". I think.

Basically she answers a bunch of very pertinent questions about financial aid, very good info.

To Ontology:

Understood, I have the same reservations about moving in with people i don't know, but much deeper reservations about taking even a cent more in loans. That said then, anyone looking to share a 3 bedroom at http://reo.uchicago.edu/graduate_housin ... park.shtml ? It works out to be about 450 a person if we include internet. This is very preliminary as I am not even 100% on going yet, just putting out some feelers.

thanks, checking the transcript out right now.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 am

Last edited by agentzer0 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:01 am

agentzer0 wrote:
freeflowfox wrote:
To Ontology:

It seems we have a problem that, so far, we've been pussyfooting around. We have to figure out where we're going to live next year and, more importantly, with whom... buuut everyone knows you can't trust people on the internet! What if they suck in real life? Who knows how long they spent crafting that witty, down to earth, but seemingly unforced response to your last post?

I'm actually as cynical, pessimistic, and distrustful as they come, but I'll still posit this for a remedy: smart/interesting people suck less, so take heart; the UofC admissions office has already done some screening for us. Also asw should be a good time to figure this shit out, I'm really looking forward to getting drunk with everyone.

Kudos for the witty, down to earth, but seemingly unforced response.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 am

Well I'm on the other side of the planet, so ASW is out of the question for me...

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:43 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
freeflowfox wrote:
To Ontology:

It seems we have a problem that, so far, we've been pussyfooting around. We have to figure out where we're going to live next year and, more importantly, with whom... buuut everyone knows you can't trust people on the internet! What if they suck in real life? Who knows how long they spent crafting that witty, down to earth, but seemingly unforced response to your last post?

I'm actually as cynical, pessimistic, and distrustful as they come, but I'll still posit this for a remedy: smart/interesting people suck less, so take heart; the UofC admissions office has already done some screening for us. Also asw should be a good time to figure this shit out, I'm really looking forward to getting drunk with everyone.

Kudos for the witty, down to earth, but seemingly unforced response.

Glad somebody appreciates this since I spent an hour and a half writing it...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”