UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
prefontaine

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby prefontaine » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:00 pm

ontologyfail wrote:Prefontaine-We must have been at Madison the same time. Did you ever take Plant & Man?

Never heard of it. What department was that in?

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:43 am

prefontaine wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:Prefontaine-We must have been at Madison the same time. Did you ever take Plant & Man?

Never heard of it. What department was that in?

Botany. It filled some distribution credit or other. The reason so many people knew about it was the amazing prof that taught it-Timothy Allen. Crazy British guy, really knew how to lecture. It was my favorite class, and I know it was for a lot of other people too. Then again, when there's 40,000 undergrads, there's sure to be a lot of things that most of the class never hears about.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:39 am

Last edited by TaipeiMort on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:50 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Hey guys.

I'm a 23 year old male from San Luis Obispo California-- currently attending BYU in Provo, Utah. I'm married and have a 6-month old son. I was accepted by Dean Perry via phone call last week. I'm ridiculously excited to attend U Chicago, I would seriously rather attend Chicago than any other T6 school.

Anyway, I'm also a 49er a fan. It looks like that this is a requirement for getting in to U of C this year.

awesome. keep the niners fans coming, Dean AP! Also, SLO might be my favorite town in the world. I will be hanging out there for about a week in january and i'm looking forward to it

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Last edited by TaipeiMort on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Taipei, I feel the same way about Chicago (although I probably would have picked Yale over Chicago in the, uh, unlikely event that I got in there). Chicago's a nerdy place, which is great for someone like me who wants to go into academia. But I'm curious as to why you feel the same way about UChicago. Is it because of its conservative reputation? (I'm making the chain of inferences BYU --> Mormon --> conservative; is that justified in this instance?)

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm probably going to live in Hyde Park, because a) I don't mind "bad" neighborhoods, b) I definitely won't have the money for a car, and c) I think it'll be easier to make new friends if I live close to school. We'll see how all that goes, though.

(Am I really talking about where I'm going to live next year so I can attend U of C? Pinch me!)

Also, Taipei: the small class size is going to be AWESOME. I transferred to UCLA (~30k undergrads) from a couple no-name CSUs, and I honestly believe I got a better education at the smaller schools, and that this was almost entirely due to the difference in class sizes. (One quarter at UCLA, my smallest class was marching band.) Even the 90-student 1L classes at Chicago are going to feel intimate relative to the 350-student classes I had my last two years of undergrad.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm planning on living in Hyde Park next year, mainly for convenience and to get to know people. Right now I'm leaning against Regents in particular though. Lots of people on the Chicago 2012 threads were complaining about lots of misc fees on top of the already steep rent, and I can't wrap my head around the idea of a 'luxury' apartment that has electric burners. I wouldn't be that opposed to living in new grad or the international house if it weren't for the shared kitchen thing. Cooking is my way of de-stressing, and I assume I will need to do quite a bit of that over the next three years. Anyways, when it comes time to actually start working on such things I'll probably put in a bid for one of the school owned grad apartments and cruise craigslist.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm

niners fans: I saw Alex Smith at the mall today doing Christmas shopping with his wife. kinda cool I guess.

Ontologyfail: Feel free to call me anytime you want to de-stress next year with some cooking. I will gladly consume whatever you want to make :D

It will be fairly interesting to see how the small school affects the education at UChicago law. I went to a mediocre small undergrad school (2400 total students) that placed an emphasis on student-teacher interaction, and, while the students weren't generally especially driven or high achievers, the professors were incredible and I got a great education. Chicago seems to emphasize student-professor interaction much more than similar law schools... with the amazing faculty Chicago has, I can't imagine how much of an improvement Chicago will be over the already excellent education I got in UG.

I plan on living in Regents with a very good friend of mine who will be a senior at UChicago UG and his current roommate.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:55 pm

What kind of law is everyone interested in?

I'm interested in antitrust law (especially in technology markets) and law and philosophy (especially more recent continental philosophy). I could also see myself working in academia. But I'm planning on keeping an open mind going in since I've never had a real law class before.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:14 am

I like Law and Philosophy, too (especially Moral and Political Theory -- not sure if that's a subset of Law and Phil or something else entirely). I also really dig Law and Economics, although I'm more of a Sunstein-y liberal when it comes to econ, and I'm kind of pissed at the "rational actor" types for being, in my opinion, dangerously ambivalent about the newest psychological research. I'm not sure what Law and Econ at Chicago entails nowadays, but I'm certain that I'd prefer it if Sunstein were still there.

Ultimately, I want to go into legal academia, preferably at the intersection of all the subdisciplines mentioned in this post (Mill is my hero for a reason), but I'd be happy with a government or nonprofit job, too.

Also:

It will be fairly interesting to see how the small school affects the education at UChicago law. I went to a mediocre small undergrad school (2400 total students) that placed an emphasis on student-teacher interaction, and, while the students weren't generally especially driven or high achievers, the professors were incredible and I got a great education. Chicago seems to emphasize student-professor interaction much more than similar law schools... with the amazing faculty Chicago has, I can't imagine how much of an improvement Chicago will be over the already excellent education I got in UG.
Dude, YES. I am SO ready for this shit.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:11 am

How could I have forgotten about law and econ? I'm very interested that too... (econ major from undergrad here). I'm not as much on the Sunstein side though.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:14 pm

gotmilk- I'm always happy to feed people. If I ate all of my own cooking, I would quickly develop an average Chicagan girth :lol:

I did a lot of work on immigration for my grad work, and actually got the chance to cross register in an asylum law seminar, which I really liked, so Chicago's Immigrant Child Advocacy project has definitely caught my attention. The only reason I'm hesitant to commit is the burn out rate for attorneys working in asylum law. I need to figure out what sort of career options I would have if I needed to transfer into a different field in a few years.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 pm

gotmilk? wrote:What kind of law is everyone interested in?

I'm interested in antitrust law (especially in technology markets) and law and philosophy (especially more recent continental philosophy). I could also see myself working in academia. But I'm planning on keeping an open mind going in since I've never had a real law class before.

Patent Law (Leaning towards litigation because I hear prosecution is incredibly boring) I am currently an EE undergrad by the way. Also, I'd be really interested to know if anyone else on TLS going to UChicago is interested in patent law since I know its not really known for that.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:17 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:Taipei, I feel the same way about Chicago (although I probably would have picked Yale over Chicago in the, uh, unlikely event that I got in there). Chicago's a nerdy place, which is great for someone like me who wants to go into academia. But I'm curious as to why you feel the same way about UChicago. Is it because of its conservative reputation? (I'm making the chain of inferences BYU --> Mormon --> conservative; is that justified in this instance?)

The inferences are understandable. I consider myself a moderate. Nevertheless, being moderate is probably considered conservative on the law school spectrum.

I chose to go Chicago because:

1) The educational quality at Chicago is better than any other T6 school-- The faculty have a strong pedagogical focus, especially in fundamental legal principles-- I'd venture to say more so than any other T6 school. Additionally, its rigor is unmatched for T6 schools.

2) Class size. I did not want to go to Columbia, NYU, or Harvard because of their size. I feel small size leads to great placement and a better overall educational value.

3) Interdisciplinary Educational Emphasis. Chicago encourages its law students to take courses across a range of disciplines and become academically rounded. Because of my interest in both International Relations and upper-level Mandarin Chinese coursework, I feel that I will be able to develop a rounded education at Chicago.

4) Placement. Outside of Biglaw (All T6 schools do well with Biglaw), I like Chicago's Clerkship and Academia Placement.

I did not want to attend Stanford due to personal reasons and felt gambling for Yale (the only school I was interested in besides Chicago) would be foolish this cycle. Therefore I ED'd.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:18 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:I'm probably going to live in Hyde Park, because a) I don't mind "bad" neighborhoods, b) I definitely won't have the money for a car, and c) I think it'll be easier to make new friends if I live close to school. We'll see how all that goes, though.

(Am I really talking about where I'm going to live next year so I can attend U of C? Pinch me!)

Also, Taipei: the small class size is going to be AWESOME. I transferred to UCLA (~30k undergrads) from a couple no-name CSUs, and I honestly believe I got a better education at the smaller schools, and that this was almost entirely due to the difference in class sizes. (One quarter at UCLA, my smallest class was marching band.) Even the 90-student 1L classes at Chicago are going to feel intimate relative to the 350-student classes I had my last two years of undergrad.

+1000

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 pm

gotmilk? wrote:What kind of law is everyone interested in?

I'm interested in practicing internationally. I speak Chinese and have international business experience which has given me strong feelings toward a lot of the Sino-US business illegalities that are occuring, and hope to assist those getting screwed.

However... Who knows? Maybe I'll find something different I like in law school.

HereIDreamt

Postby HereIDreamt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi Everyone!

I registered just so that I could get onto this thread. Congratulations to everyone on the acceptances!

P.S. I too am a bay area resident (though recent transplant) but my football team is the absolutely miserable Cleveland Browns.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 am

HereIDreamt wrote:Hi Everyone!

I registered just so that I could get onto this thread. Congratulations to everyone on the acceptances!

P.S. I too am a bay area resident (though recent transplant) but my football team is the absolutely miserable Cleveland Browns.

Welcome!

...At least you've got Holmgren now? Good luck finding a QB... at least last weekend's performance by Harrison and Cribbs bodes well for the offense. At worst, I think all of us can join in our football miseries. Let's hope we don't have to deal with any smug Patriots fans :evil:

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:25 am

TaipeiMort wrote:The inferences are understandable. I consider myself a moderate. Nevertheless, being moderate is probably considered conservative on the law school spectrum.
True. Hell, even I, as a market-oriented Democrat, may be in the conservative half of law students.

Also, you were a moderate at BYU? I bet that was interesting.

I chose to go Chicago because:

1) The educational quality at Chicago is better than any other T6 school-- The faculty have a strong pedagogical focus, especially in fundamental legal principles-- I'd venture to say more so than any other T6 school. Additionally, its rigor is unmatched for T6 schools.

2) Class size. I did not want to go to Columbia, NYU, or Harvard because of their size. I feel small size leads to great placement and a better overall educational value.

3) Interdisciplinary Educational Emphasis. Chicago encourages its law students to take courses across a range of disciplines and become academically rounded. Because of my interest in both International Relations and upper-level Mandarin Chinese coursework, I feel that I will be able to develop a rounded education at Chicago.

4) Placement. Outside of Biglaw (All T6 schools do well with Biglaw), I like Chicago's Clerkship and Academia Placement.

I did not want to attend Stanford due to personal reasons and felt gambling for Yale (the only school I was interested in besides Chicago) would be foolish this cycle. Therefore I ED'd.

Makes perfect sense to me -- in fact, these were the main reasons I chose Chicago as well. I'm glad that there's someone out there who came to the same conclusion using the same reasoning -- it validates my decision, you know?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:54 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
Also, you were a moderate at BYU? I bet that was interesting.

Yeah. It was surprising to me that BYU students and professors, aside from socially conservative issues like gay marriage and abortion, were actually pretty liberal and had come places like Berkeley and NYU. I'd say that 50% of the professors I had were democrats/liberals. Many were also free-market-oriented independents.

Anyway, do you guys know if we have anything we have to fill out to be eligible for scholarships?

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:43 am

That's interesting, Taipei. My experience with BYU students and professors has been that they're almost uniformly conservative. But then again, I know those students because they're from my (conservative) hometown, and I know those professors from apologetics websites (which I assume would attract more conservative elements), so my sample could easily be biased.

Re: scholarships -- if you're talking about merit aid, then no, you don't need to fill anything else out. Chicago admits are automatically considered for merit aid through their application to the law school. If you're like me, though, and have no reason to hope for anything but need-based aid, then you need to fill out the Need Access Form. More information here.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:33 pm

hi
signing in

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:05 pm

sorry to be talking so much about football, but in case we want to visualize our miseries:

49ers:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/powerchart?team=sfo

Browns:
--LinkRemoved--

and congrats HereIDreamt on the Browns' win today.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:07 pm

U of C 1L here. Just chiming in to wish a warm welcome to next year's 1Ls! Congrats, guys!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”