UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
agentzer0

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
echoi wrote:Also, very impressed with the beer connoisseurs in this thread...too bad we'll all be poor and drinking nattys instead.

+1. except i hope the uchicago law cheap beer of choice is not natty.

well Chicago is a midwestern city so I'd guess Beast would be shit-beer of choice (I mean it's [strike]Milwaukee's[/strike] West Allis' BEST, am I right ontology?)

although I think PBR won the "Blue Ribbon" at the Chicago Fair?

in any case, my allegiance will forever lie with Colt 45.

natty, beast, freakin malt liquor? How did this turn into the UVA thread? :lol:

Haha have you seen the thread they've got going over there?? ^ seems very accurate

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:55 pm

thorntll wrote:
echoi wrote:Also, very impressed with the beer connoisseurs in this thread...too bad we'll all be poor and drinking nattys instead.

I feel left out of this discussion. Not because I don't like beer, but because I'm not discerning at all. I am an equal-opportunity beer drinker. I don't think I've ever met a beer I didn't like - or wine for that matter, except for this disgusting Chinese wine, which was just wrong. I've met liquor that I liked, but that didn't like me.

So, even though I have nothing enlightening to add to this discussion except "I luv b33r," please invite me to your beer drinking parties.

I mean... you won't even come to ASW... how can you expect us not to feel slighted?? :wink:

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
natty, beast, freakin malt liquor? How did this turn into the UVA thread? :lol:

Haha have you seen the thread they've got going over there?? ^ seems very accurate

lol, that's fantastic. It was just [strike]snark[/strike] an educated guess.

thorntll wrote:

I feel left out of this discussion. Not because I don't like beer, but because I'm not discerning at all. I am an equal-opportunity beer drinker. I don't think I've ever met a beer I didn't like - or wine for that matter, except for this disgusting Chinese wine, which was just wrong. I've met liquor that I liked, but that didn't like me.

So, even though I have nothing enlightening to add to this discussion except "I luv b33r," please invite me to your beer drinking parties.

Was it Great Wall? Soooo bad....yet when the only other option is firewater fermented out of horse milk, it can suddenly seem like a good choice :P

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:07 pm

thorntll wrote:

Was it Great Wall? Soooo bad....yet when the only other option is firewater fermented out of horse milk, it can suddenly seem like a good choice :P[/quote]

actually the only wine i've ever actually enjoyed i had in China (i don't really drink wine very often though). their hard liquor is absolutely devastating though, especially when it is kept in a jar with dead snakes (i had to try it... and then try it a few more times). the potency of their liquor is funny when juxtaposed to their 4% beer.

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 am

i'm really starting to like the level of China-related expertise in this 2013 class. Anyone planning to live at international house?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:26 pm

ha, no expertise here. i just went to china last summer for two weeks

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 pm

gotmilk? wrote: actually the only wine i've ever actually enjoyed i had in China (i don't really drink wine very often though). their hard liquor is absolutely devastating though, especially when it is kept in a jar with dead snakes (i had to try it... and then try it a few more times). the potency of their liquor is funny when juxtaposed to their 4% beer.

Was it actually Chinese wine though? All the nouveau riche in China have started snapping up stocks of some really nice European wines, causing much bitching and moaning among connoisseurs in the western world.

echoi

Postby echoi » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 pm

freeflowfox wrote:i'm really starting to like the level of China-related expertise in this 2013 class. Anyone planning to live at international house?

I'm about 75% sure I want to live at International House. I plan on taking a tour during ASW.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
gotmilk? wrote: actually the only wine i've ever actually enjoyed i had in China (i don't really drink wine very often though). their hard liquor is absolutely devastating though, especially when it is kept in a jar with dead snakes (i had to try it... and then try it a few more times). the potency of their liquor is funny when juxtaposed to their 4% beer.

Was it actually Chinese wine though? All the nouveau riche in China have started snapping up stocks of some really nice European wines, causing much bitching and moaning among connoisseurs in the western world.

Fair question. I hadn't really thought about it. I was at a banquet and they served my table with wine. I have no idea what it was, nor do I have any wine knowledge other than to be able to say that it was red wine. It wasn't the wealthiest of areas I was in, so I just assumed it was Chinese... could have been European wine I suppose.

Guess we'll never know if China makes any decent wine...

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 pm

ontologyfail wrote:

Also,

CHINA IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD, ONE WINE BOTTLE AT A TIME!!! MOBILIZE THE TROOPS!

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

Also,

CHINA IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD, ONE WINE BOTTLE AT A TIME!!! MOBILIZE THE TROOPS!

no worries, they've made an enemy of Google; they won't last long.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 am

so what does it take to get a group confirmation for the fbook class of '13 group these days? I bit the bullet and went on facebook for the first time this year... i loathe it more than ever but at least i can start stalking future classmates once i get accepted into this damn group ;)

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 am

agentzer0 wrote:so what does it take to get a group confirmation for the fbook class of '13 group these days? I bit the bullet and went on facebook for the first time this year... i loathe it more than ever but at least i can start stalking future classmates once i get accepted into this damn group ;)

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a competitive process - holistic, yes - but nevertheless somewhat rule-bound. They'll evaluate your lsat, then gpa, then softs, but insiders report it's been harder than ever to be admitted to the fb group. I might send off a preemptive LOCI supporting your candidacy - can't hurt.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 am

miamiman wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:so what does it take to get a group confirmation for the fbook class of '13 group these days? I bit the bullet and went on facebook for the first time this year... i loathe it more than ever but at least i can start stalking future classmates once i get accepted into this damn group ;)

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's a competitive process - holistic, yes - but nevertheless somewhat rule-bound. They'll evaluate your lsat, then gpa, then softs, but insiders report it's been harder than ever to be admitted to the fb group. I might send off a preemptive LOCI supporting your candidacy - can't hurt.

yeah I know it's a reach but I would never have been able to live with myself if I hadn't tried. I did send a targeted fbook message expressing my specific interest in the group's nerdy reputation. Also had some pretttty high up there friends vouch for me via wall-post.... crossing my fingers! Don't worry I also tried to join some target fbook groups as well as some safeties.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 am

agentzer0 wrote:
miamiman wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:so what does it take to get a group confirmation for the fbook class of '13 group these days? I
bit the bullet and went on facebook for the first time this year... i loathe it more than ever but at least i can start stalking future classmates once i get accepted into this damn group ;)

yeah I know it's a reach but I would never have been able to live with myself if I hadn't tried. I did send a targeted fbook message expressing my specific interest in the group's nerdy reputation. Also had some pretttty high up there friends vouch for me via wall-post.... crossing my fingers! Don't worry I also tried to join some target fbook groups as well as some safeties.

all you can do ITE is play the odds.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:48 am

agentzer0 wrote:
miamiman wrote:

tip: make your fb request stand out. For example, you might consider using your TLS tar as your fb profile pic.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm

prefontaine wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
miamiman wrote:

tip: make your fb request stand out. For example, you might consider using your TLS tar as your fb profile pic.

OMG a;lsdkja;sldkf INNNNNNN to the facebook group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow. Congratz.

What do you attribute it to? #s? URM?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:36 pm

this is hilarious.

the admitted students chat yesterday suggested that some of us might be getting our aid packages emailed to us today... anyone get anything yet?

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:38 pm

gotmilk? wrote:this is hilarious.

the admitted students chat yesterday suggested that some of us [strike]might[/strike] would be getting our aid packages emailed to us today... anyone get anything yet?

Nope.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi all I've been admitted for a while, since about late December. I was on that online chat for Fin Aid yesterday too, I am pretty excited to see if I get any MONIES next week. I heard (aside from Karla Vargas lol) from a few top students that got in last year that they do not match at all. Wondering if they are gonna skimp us on aid as bad as everyone thinks. Any thoughts?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:51 pm

given that I'm ED (and not ED with a 175/3.98) I'm not expecting any merit aid... just hoping they realize how poor I am

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:44 am

You never know lol maybe you'll get lucky.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 am

So, how many people are planning on living in regents? (and are any guys looking for a roommate)

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 am

jerjon2 wrote:So, how many people are planning on living in regents? (and are any guys looking for a roommate)

+1 for regents, I think, and for looking for a roommate. but I mean... are you awesome??

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”