UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gotmilk?

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:20 pm

thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:i won't have any info for my father... and i called them about it and they wanted a letter from my undergrad financial aid office... it was really weird. the only thing i can think of is that they wanted to verify my story?

going to try to get that needaccess garbage out today.

What will the letter say? That he didn't help with undergrad either?

They wanted to know how my undergrad financial aid office evaluated my file or something... but my undergrad financial aid officer called the UChicago financial aid woman I talked to, apparently leaving a message. And then she threw away the paper to remind her about it. Of course, she never got called back so when i went to follow up to make sure that got done, it hadn't been taken care of... and I watched as she dug her note to herself about it out of the recycling bin :evil:

and i was wondering about this...

"Dear Robert,

It just came to our attention that due to an oversight in our mailroom, your admission packet was not mailed to you. We sincerely apologize for the delay. We are assembling your packet immediately and will get it in the mail today. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
The Admissions Office"

nice to know that they didn't revoke my acceptance.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 am

Is there any reason that anybody knows of that I should attend Admitted Students Weekend if I already know I'm going to attend? They strongly recommend it, but I'm just not quite sure why if they've already convinced me to come.

Plane tickets are upwards of $250, and even with the reimbursed $200, it will still cost me over $200 after everything's said and done. Plus, I have to take two vacation days off work.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 am

thorntll wrote:Is there any reason that anybody knows of that I should attend Admitted Students Weekend if I already know I'm going to attend? They strongly recommend it, but I'm just not quite sure why if they've already convinced me to come.

Plane tickets are upwards of $250, and even with the reimbursed $200, it will still cost me over $200 after everything's said and done. Plus, I have to take two vacation days off work.

it seems like a good opportunity to meet future classmates and friends. if you wanted to share an apartment with someone it could also be a good time to meet someone you want to live with. and if you're not super familiar with the city, it would be useful to check out neighborhoods and buildings you might want to live in.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 am

thorntll wrote:Is there any reason that anybody knows of that I should attend Admitted Students Weekend if I already know I'm going to attend? They strongly recommend it, but I'm just not quite sure why if they've already convinced me to come.

free booze... faculty trivia... hang out with future classmates... free booze... free booze?

that's at least 3 good reasons.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 am

agentzer0 wrote:

free booze... faculty trivia... hang out with future classmates... free booze... free booze?

this too.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 am

agentzer0 wrote:

Since when does free + booze = 1? I count 6 good reasons :wink:

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 am

ontologyfail wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

If Chicago were a beer what type would it be? I think it would be a strong IPA... means business, doesn't fuck around, will fill you up, but you'll love it cus it it'll get you really drunk too.

*anxiously waiting to see what kind of beer is served at ASW*

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am

agentzer0 wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

If Chicago were a beer what type would it be? I think it would be a strong IPA... means business, doesn't fuck around, will fill you up, but you'll love it cus it it'll get you really drunk too.

i'd go with an oatmeal stout. hearty and serious, but really filling, cozy, and still good for you.

(i'm not a big IPA person though)

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 am

gahthelaw wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

i'd go with an oatmeal stout. hearty and serious, but really filling, cozy, and still good for you.

This http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/fuel_cafe.html I forget exactly how much caffeine you get from each bottle, but it's considerable. And delicious. As much as I love oatmeal stouts, I don't think that's what ASW is about. I agree that the more aggressive, no apologies approach of a pale ale would be more in the UChicago vs. other law schools spirit. That being said, I generally don't like IPAs, though I like most other types of pale ales.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:00 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

This http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/fuel_cafe.html I forget exactly how much caffeine you get from each bottle, but it's considerable. And delicious. As much as I love oatmeal stouts, I don't think that's what ASW is about. I agree that the more aggressive, no apologies approach of a pale ale would be more in the UChicago vs. other law schools spirit. That being said, I generally don't like IPAs, though I like most other types of pale ales.

is it a beer for chicago ASW or a beer that represents chi in general? also that beer not only looks delicious but like a great, great, idea.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Eh. I can get good beer here. I'm not looking for a roommate, and I know the neighborhoods. I would like to go, because it sounds fun, but it's not worth the money and vacation days...

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:13 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
--> going on my list of things to try before I die.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 pm

thorntll wrote:Eh. I can get good beer here. I'm not looking for a roommate, and I know the neighborhoods. I would like to go, because it sounds fun, but it's not worth the money and vacation days...

I'm taking vacation days too but what's the point of stockpiling time-off when you'll be leaving soon enough anyway?

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm

gahthelaw wrote:is it a beer for chicago ASW or a beer that represents chi in general? also that beer not only looks delicious but like a great, great, idea.

Well, it demonstrates the market at work-the existence of demand created a supply-and it has a special place in my heart, so you could say that it represents chicago, but it's not a complete picture. For that, I think we would need a tasting palate.

Russian Imperial: http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=3 Because the only the strong make it through the bitter winter, and the bitter winter makes you strong.

Fuel Coffee Stout: for the aforementioned reasons

Ambergeddon Amber Ale: http://aleasylum.com/cms/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=57 "fury...backbone...all american"

Wesvleteren 12: http://www.epinions.com/review/Westvlet ... 3275852420 For our small class size and elite status.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:31 pm

short of getting into S, Im coming. Unlesss of course NU decides to (a) throw tons of money at me or (b) I fall in love with NU.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:is it a beer for chicago ASW or a beer that represents chi in general? also that beer not only looks delicious but like a great, great, idea.

Well, it demonstrates the market at work-the existence of demand created a supply-and it has a special place in my heart, so you could say that it represents chicago, but it's not a complete picture. For that, I think we would need a tasting palate.

Russian Imperial: http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/beer.php?cat=3 Because the only the strong make it through the bitter winter, and the bitter winter makes you strong.

Fuel Coffee Stout: for the aforementioned reasons

Ambergeddon Amber Ale: http://aleasylum.com/cms/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=57 "fury...backbone...all american"

Wesvleteren 12: http://www.epinions.com/review/Westvlet ... 3275852420 For our small class size and elite status.

Wow, I'll consider this my first ego-crushing/you're-not-that-special/everyone-here-knows-more-than-you and I haven't even sent in my seat deposit... and it was about beer!

It's ok that it hurts though... because it's also broadening my beer horizons... beer palette as metaphor for Chicago Law? I think I'm in love.

HereIDreamt

Postby HereIDreamt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:49 pm

ontologyfail wrote:is it a beer for chicago ASW or a beer that represents chi in general? also that beer not only looks delicious but like a great, great, idea.

I just had to post on this. Ontology, I think that we are going to get along really well. I wanted to weigh in on the beer that "represents UChicago in general" and I think that it would be this:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/r ... fault.aspx

...and not just because it is called "The Abyss". This is one of the best beers I have ever had! It is complex, filling, and, for a beer, it really makes you think. But, the fact that it is called the Abyss makes it that much better-- everyone has a bit of that feel of going into the unknown.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 pm

mmm deschutes is excellent. i was just there the other day... had the hop henge ipa and it was phenomenal. the abyss looks a bit intense for me, however. the jubelale i've heard is awesome too (but sadly it's no longer available)

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 am

I just finished the NeedAccess application a few hours ago, thank Christ. Not sure where I'll end up in the fall, but Chicago is a definite possibility!

echoi

Postby echoi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 am

maudlinstreet wrote:I just finished the NeedAccess application a few hours ago, thank Christ. Not sure where I'll end up in the fall, but Chicago is a definite possibility!

+1 I was pretty stressed trying to get all the info together before the deadline...Are people who get acceptances after Feb 1. just screwed with need-based scholarships?

Also, very impressed with the beer connoisseurs in this thread...too bad we'll all be poor and drinking nattys instead.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:14 am

HereIDreamt wrote:I just had to post on this. Ontology, I think that we are going to get along really well. I wanted to weigh in on the beer that "represents UChicago in general" and I think that it would be this:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brews/r ... fault.aspx

...and not just because it is called "The Abyss". This is one of the best beers I have ever had! It is complex, filling, and, for a beer, it really makes you think. But, the fact that it is called the Abyss makes it that much better-- everyone has a bit of that feel of going into the unknown.

Aw, thanks. I'm trying to make it out to OR/WA this summer to visit a few friends, hopefully I'll get the chance to try it out then. I'm guessing they don't distribute too much outside of the northwest?

--ImageRemoved-- Us at finals?

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:42 am

echoi wrote:Also, very impressed with the beer connoisseurs in this thread...too bad we'll all be poor and drinking nattys instead.

+1. except i hope the uchicago law cheap beer of choice is not natty.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am

gotmilk? wrote:
echoi wrote:Also, very impressed with the beer connoisseurs in this thread...too bad we'll all be poor and drinking nattys instead.

well Chicago is a midwestern city so I'd guess Beast would be shit-beer of choice (I mean it's Milwaukee's BEST, am I right ontology?)

although I think PBR won the "Blue Ribbon" at the Chicago Fair?

in any case, my allegiance will forever lie with Colt 45.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:03 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:

well Chicago is a midwestern city so I'd guess Beast would be shit-beer of choice (I mean it's [strike]Milwaukee's[/strike] West Allis' BEST, am I right ontology?)

although I think PBR won the "Blue Ribbon" at the Chicago Fair?

in any case, my allegiance will forever lie with Colt 45.

natty, beast, freakin malt liquor? How did this turn into the UVA thread? :lol:

also, ftfy

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:04 pm

I feel left out of this discussion. Not because I don't like beer, but because I'm not discerning at all. I am an equal-opportunity beer drinker. I don't think I've ever met a beer I didn't like - or wine for that matter, except for this disgusting Chinese wine, which was just wrong. I've met liquor that I liked, but that didn't like me.

So, even though I have nothing enlightening to add to this discussion except "I luv b33r," please invite me to your beer drinking parties.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”