UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ontologyfail

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ontologyfail » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm

Jerjon-My part is done. Now I'm just harassing my parents to finish their part of it.

gotmilk-Sure, the odds are slim to none. I'm just saying it's next in line. After that, there's nothing left to obsessively wait for...then what will I do with my time? :lol:

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 pm

It's been said before, I'll say it again: having to supply parents' financial information is BS if you're living independently.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 pm

agentzer0 wrote:It's been said before, I'll say it again: having to supply parents' financial information is BS if you're living independently.

Get this: my parents REFUSE to fill out the form. My dad says he doesn't want to give out his financial information, and furthermore, it's bullshit that they would need his information since they're not giving me money. I had to just skip that part of the application, and write in the optional paragraph space why. They probably aren't going to even believe me.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm

thorntll wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:It's been said before, I'll say it again: having to supply parents' financial information is BS if you're living independently.

Get this: my parents REFUSE to fill out the form. My dad says he doesn't want to give out his financial information, and furthermore, it's bullshit that they would need his information since they're not giving me money. I had to just skip that part of the application, and write in the optional paragraph space why. They probably aren't going to even believe me.

YOU CAN DO THAT??

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:02 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
thorntll wrote:

YOU CAN DO THAT??

Yeah. It gives you an error message, and tells you that your application may not be considered if you don't finish it all, but it still lets you click Continue.

I can't be the first person this has happened to.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:02 pm

thorntll wrote:

My stepfather and I don't speak. At all. FAFSA still requires his info... it's bullshit.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:04 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
thorntll wrote:

YOU CAN DO THAT??

Do I have to include my parents' information on the Need Access form?

Yes. For purposes of need based scholarship aid, you must submit your parents' information on the Need Access form. This is true even if you are no longer considered a dependent and your parents will not be contributing financially to your law school education.
My parents are not contributing financially to my law school education. Do I have to provide their information?

Yes. You must provide parental information if you intend to apply for need-based scholarship aid. Please disclose this information on the Need Access form.

You do not, however, have to include your parents' information on the FAFSA because you are considered independent for the purposes of loans.

I haven't actually called up the FinAid office, but it looks like parental refusal to fill out the forms would keep you from getting need based aid from the university, while still allowing you to get subsidized Stafford loans from the gov't.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Splitter stats + middle class parents = $0 financial aid coming my way ---> $200,000 of debt.

If I don't land some exorbitant salary out of law school, I will be forced to take my new found legal skill set and use it to sue the pants off Chicago for breach of contract.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 pm

agentzer0 wrote:Splitter stats + middle class parents = $0 financial aid coming my way ---> $200,000 of debt.

If I don't land some exorbitant salary out of law school, I will be forced to take my new found legal skill set and use it to sue the pants off Chicago for breach of contract.

Small class size + killer placement stats + ownership of a large market = top 80% making market 8)

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Kretzy wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:Splitter stats + middle class parents = $0 financial aid coming my way ---> $200,000 of debt.

Small class size + killer placement stats + ownership of a large market = top 80% making market 8)

I'm holding you/them to that!

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 pm

agentzer0 wrote:Splitter stats + middle class parents = $0 financial aid coming my way

+1. That's why I didn't really sweat it. But I still think it's really unfair... I have no control over my parents. And what if your parents are dead? Or you're an orphan? Or they live in an indigenous tribe in Africa that uses seashells as currency?

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

thorntll wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:Splitter stats + middle class parents = $0 financial aid coming my way

Or they live in an indigenous tribe in Africa that uses seashells as currency?

Well then you'd be into HYS so who cares :wink:

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Chicago's Weisbach Turns Down Yale, To Remain at Chicago
I am particularly pleased to report that my colleague David Weisbach, a leading tax scholar and Director of the Law & Economics Program here at the University of Chicago Law School, has turned downed the senior offer from Yale Law School. Over the last decade, we are now 3 for 4 in warding off raids by Yale.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... icago.html

Realized the day in the life program on the 10th isn't on a Monday, btw :oops:

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:30 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
thorntll wrote:

Or they live in an indigenous tribe in Africa that uses seashells as currency?

Well then you'd be into HYS so who cares :wink:

lol

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm

prefontaine wrote:Chicago's Weisbach Turns Down Yale, To Remain at Chicago
I am particularly pleased to report that my colleague David Weisbach, a leading tax scholar and Director of the Law & Economics Program here at the University of Chicago Law School, has turned downed the senior offer from Yale Law School. Over the last decade, we are now 3 for 4 in warding off raids by Yale.

I like to picture law schools as warring tribes.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:36 pm

thorntll wrote:

+1. That's why I didn't really sweat it. But I still think it's really unfair... I have no control over my parents. And what if your parents are dead? Or you're an orphan? Or they live in an indigenous tribe in Africa that uses seashells as currency?

:?: :wink:

As far as the indigenous tribe goes, I'm sure they would still want a thorough accounting of how many shells your parents have put away for your dowery.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Kretzy wrote:
prefontaine wrote:Chicago's Weisbach Turns Down Yale, To Remain at Chicago

I like to picture law schools as warring tribes.

*Trying to figure out who in the law school hiearchy would best play the roll of the Shaman*

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
thorntll wrote:

:?: :wink:

As far as the indigenous tribe goes, I'm sure they would still want a thorough accounting of how many shells your parents have put away for your dowery.

Your parents being dead is not necessarily the same as being an orphan. I would explain how, but I'm too busy wishing my parents' net worth was calculated in seashells.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm

prefontaine wrote:*Trying to figure out who in the law school hiearchy would best play the roll of the Shaman*

I think most people would say Posner, but I vote Nussbaum. The "terrifying" factor is far stronger.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I guess I would say Posner, since he does have a successor.

However, an argument could be made that Nussbaum would be more able to promote communal peace and be a better healer.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 pm

thorntll wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
thorntll wrote:

YOU CAN DO THAT??

Yeah. It gives you an error message, and tells you that your application may not be considered if you don't finish it all, but it still lets you click Continue.

I can't be the first person this has happened to.

i won't have any info for my father... and i called them about it and they wanted a letter from my undergrad financial aid office... it was really weird. the only thing i can think of is that they wanted to verify my story?

going to try to get that needaccess garbage out today.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 pm

gotmilk? wrote:i won't have any info for my father... and i called them about it and they wanted a letter from my undergrad financial aid office... it was really weird. the only thing i can think of is that they wanted to verify my story?

going to try to get that needaccess garbage out today.

What will the letter say? That he didn't help with undergrad either?

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:35 pm

ontologyfail wrote:Also: 23, female. Grew up in Minnesota, school at UW-Madison, currently teaching English in France.

How accurately would you say this depicts french culture? I'm hoping very. We definitely never studied this in my high school French classes though :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmqtywojCA

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:59 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:Also: 23, female. Grew up in Minnesota, school at UW-Madison, currently teaching English in France.

How accurately would you say this depicts french culture? I'm hoping very. We definitely never studied this in my high school French classes though :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmqtywojCA

:lol: hahahaha I could definitely see a number of my students doing this. Or at least attempting. The only videos I got to watch in hs french class were those merde c'est a toi abominations.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 pm

ontologyfail wrote:As far as the indigenous tribe goes, I'm sure they would still want a thorough accounting of how many shells your parents have put away for your dowery.

:lol:

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”