UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
echoi

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby echoi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:58 am

ontologyfail wrote:
Jay W. Weatherman wrote:Checking in. I was very pleasantly surprised to get the call yesterday. I didn't think I had much of a shot.
I've been a long time lurker and now that I finally have a few acceptances I can be social and say hello.

Welcome. Anyone keeping Arrested Development's memory alive is good with me.

you know there's an arrested development movie coming out in 2011

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:23 am

echoi wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
Jay W. Weatherman wrote:Checking in. I was very pleasantly surprised to get the call yesterday. I didn't think I had much of a shot.
I've been a long time lurker and now that I finally have a few acceptances I can be social and say hello.

that's what they say. they used to say it would be in 2010. i'll be more optimistic when it finally comes out. i would love to go see it though!

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:24 am

echoi wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

Yay! I had heard rumors about it awhile ago, then forgot about it. You miss all the important news when you're in another country...

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:49 am

What country are you guys all in, I'm in Korea.

hesitantstyle

Postby hesitantstyle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm an American living in Singapore.

ontologyfail

Postby ontologyfail » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 pm

echoi wrote:Not anymore obvious than me or jerjon2. I guess us UChicago ppl really do fit the stereotype of being boring and uncreative.... :|

Echoi, now that you've outed yourself, you should be careful what you say in other threads-wouldn't want to pick up more stalkers. Although at least you're keeping up Chicago's reputation of having hard workers :wink:

anmo

Postby anmo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:34 pm

happy to be checking in! 25, male, Nevada. Surprised by the call thursday, maybe I should send in the seat deposit before they figure out their goof. Congratulations all!

echoi

Postby echoi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:14 am

ontologyfail wrote:
echoi wrote:Not anymore obvious than me or jerjon2. I guess us UChicago ppl really do fit the stereotype of being boring and uncreative.... :|

Echoi, now that you've outed yourself, you should be careful what you say in other threads-wouldn't want to pick up more stalkers. Although at least you're keeping up Chicago's reputation of having hard workers :wink:

It's okay, my stalkers would probably get bored of me pretty quickly

Jay W. Weatherman

Postby Jay W. Weatherman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 pm

echoi wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it.
:(

acecrusher06

Postby acecrusher06 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 pm

has anyone just had their status checkers updated? ive had mines updated 12/31 and 1/19......is this good or bad?

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 am

acecrusher06 wrote:has anyone just had their status checkers updated? ive had mines updated 12/31 and 1/19......is this good or bad?

You should check out the UChicago thread in the Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists Forum if you haven't already. They have a much better handle on the status checkers since they're waiting to hear back like you are. I think everyone in this thread has already been accepted so haven't checked their status checkers in awhile.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:43 pm

acceptance package arrived today to my parents in nj

echoi

Postby echoi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm

gahthelaw wrote:acceptance package arrived today to my parents in nj

+1, west coast

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am

echoi wrote:

+1, west coast

Dammit. All I got was a packet from USC. Is it awesome?

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 am

I like the "glass menagerie." Seems to make two points: 1) "look at all these awesome faculty!" and 2) "look at how small we are; we can fit ALL of our students and faculty and staff in this one little booklet!"

I get it. I dig it.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 am

I was reading the faculty part of the glass menagerie. It really bothers me that when one of the professors attended UChi they refer to it as "the law school" even when that doesn't make much sense.

e.g. XXX graduated from Georgetown University magna cum laude with an AB in economics. He then attended the Law School, receiving his JD with high honors in 2002.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:42 am

thorntll wrote:
echoi wrote:

+1, west coast

not sure, i haven't seen it. my dad said it had a handwritten note though.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am

thorntll wrote:
echoi wrote:

+1, west coast

It has a printed copy of the handbook you can look at through the admitted students web site and it has the glass menagerie, which is a profile of every faculty member and then pictures with undergrad information and hometown information for every student at the law school. They also have pictures of all the staff members.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 am

do any of you guys know much about living in the Regents Towers? Apparently it's the closest building with amenities to campus, is safe, and a ton of law students live there, but doing a little research online turned up mixed reviews. I've also read that it's overpriced for Hyde Park, but compared to NYC rent it actually seems like a steal. If anyone's actually seen Regents Towers or knows of other places law students live around there I'd be interested in hearing about it.

prefontaine

Postby prefontaine » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:54 am

'The Law School' is the title of the school, so it makes enough sense IMO. As a Big 10-er, though, I sympathize with your concerns b/c the title bears some similarities to saying "The Ohio State"

Has anyone's seat depost check cleared?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:55 am

jerjon2 wrote:I was reading the faculty part of the glass menagerie. It really bothers me that when one of the professors attended UChi they refer to it as "the law school" even when that doesn't make much sense.

e.g. XXX graduated from Georgetown University magna cum laude with an AB in economics. He then attended the Law School, receiving his JD with high honors in 2002.

i kind of like it...almost like chi is the only law school that exists or matters.

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:43 pm

gahthelaw wrote:do any of you guys know much about living in the Regents Towers? Apparently it's the closest building with amenities to campus, is safe, and a ton of law students live there, but doing a little research online turned up mixed reviews. I've also read that it's overpriced for Hyde Park, but compared to NYC rent it actually seems like a steal. If anyone's actually seen Regents Towers or knows of other places law students live around there I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Here are some pictures I took of my apartment in Regents last summer before we moved in. I'm from New York as well, so the rent seemed amazing to me too. Objectively, Regents IS overpriced for the area, and they find every single way to nickel and dime you. But it's very convenient to the bus route. Depending on the hour, sometimes the 172 bus fills up at Regents and very few additional people can get on. Not good for them. I signed a two year lease, and will probably live here my 3L year as well. Less because I love Regents, more because I dread moving. I'll move downtown after I start working.

Pictures (LinkRemoved)

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:50 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:do any of you guys know much about living in the Regents Towers? Apparently it's the closest building with amenities to campus, is safe, and a ton of law students live there, but doing a little research online turned up mixed reviews. I've also read that it's overpriced for Hyde Park, but compared to NYC rent it actually seems like a steal. If anyone's actually seen Regents Towers or knows of other places law students live around there I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Here are some pictures I took of my apartment in Regents last summer before we moved in. I'm from New York as well, so the rent seemed amazing to me too. Objectively, Regents IS overpriced for the area, and they find every single way to nickel and dime you. But it's very convenient to the bus route. Depending on the hour, sometimes the 172 bus fills up at Regents and very few additional people can get on. Not good for them. I signed a two year lease, and will probably live here my 3L year as well. Less because I love Regents, more because I dread moving. I'll move downtown after I start working.

Pictures (LinkRemoved)

Gasp! Is that a dishwasher I see?? My dishwashing days are OVER! :D

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:51 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:

Pictures (LinkRemoved)

thanks! super helpful!

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 pm

What is it that pushes people into Regents over New Grad? I guess it's nicer, more spacious, less dorm-y... but 0 commute seems like a pretty big plus to me?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”