UChicago Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
ontologyfail
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ontologyfail » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 pm

gotmilk? wrote: Of course, this is all assuming that there isn't much worth to resume building the summer before law school. Is this assumption right?


Yeah, I don't think we really need to do anything. I can see taking the summer off if you're coming straight from undergrad or a demanding job, but I currently teach 12 classroom hours a week, so I don't need a break. I'm hoping to find something mildly interesting, but in this economy simply finding any job might be challenge enough.

nordicsair wrote:What do you think admissions is going to do to aid in the roommate search? I'm going to be completely new to the Chicago area and I don't know anyone else in the 2013 class (yet :D )


Probably not much. I would guess that setting up the facebook group and ASW is as involved as they're going to get, and the rest is up to us. I know a few people living in Chicago, but they'd just laugh at me if I suggested they move down to Hyde Park to be my roommates. Are you part of the fb group yet? Only one person has braved posting so far.

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:51 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:My cousin went to Chicago law and lived in a sweet one-bedroom in a big downtown glass tower with lake views etc for 1,500 2L and 3L and an amazing (beautiful old building)1,200 sq foot 2 bedroom with a friend during 1L about 10 minutes walking distance to campus (closer to main campus) for 800 per person. I visited her during her 1L and 3L years and both years and was totally blown away by the quality of apartments students lived in and how cheap.


Can you find out the names of the buildings? I'd be interested to know.

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:28 pm

booyah! glad to be here guys. I still have to wait on a few applications, but chicago is definitely one of my top picks. now I just need to hope and pray they offer me a bit of money...

User avatar
gotmilk?
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:34 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
Probably not much. I would guess that setting up the facebook group and ASW is as involved as they're going to get, and the rest is up to us. I know a few people living in Chicago, but they'd just laugh at me if I suggested they move down to Hyde Park to be my roommates. Are you part of the fb group yet? Only one person has braved posting so far.


ha i'm glad you view it as brave. no one brave enough to respond yet! (oh gosh did i just out who i really am on TLS?!?! *meltingggg*)

i wasn't sure if the admitted students site will supply a forum for meeting roommates or not, so i just took the plunge on the facebook group. the earlier we can find housing the better, i suppose.

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:39 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
Probably not much. I would guess that setting up the facebook group and ASW is as involved as they're going to get, and the rest is up to us. I know a few people living in Chicago, but they'd just laugh at me if I suggested they move down to Hyde Park to be my roommates. Are you part of the fb group yet? Only one person has braved posting so far.


ha i'm glad you view it as brave. no one brave enough to respond yet! (oh gosh did i just out who i really am on TLS?!?! *meltingggg*)

i wasn't sure if the admitted students site will supply a forum for meeting roommates or not, so i just took the plunge on the facebook group. the earlier we can find housing the better, i suppose.


OH SHIT... I'm totally going to stalk you now. WATCH OUT.

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:40 pm

thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
Probably not much. I would guess that setting up the facebook group and ASW is as involved as they're going to get, and the rest is up to us. I know a few people living in Chicago, but they'd just laugh at me if I suggested they move down to Hyde Park to be my roommates. Are you part of the fb group yet? Only one person has braved posting so far.


ha i'm glad you view it as brave. no one brave enough to respond yet! (oh gosh did i just out who i really am on TLS?!?! *meltingggg*)

i wasn't sure if the admitted students site will supply a forum for meeting roommates or not, so i just took the plunge on the facebook group. the earlier we can find housing the better, i suppose.


OH SHIT... I'm totally going to stalk you now. WATCH OUT.


P.S. My username is so obvs, it's embarrassing. I probably should be more creative with that stuff.

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby maudlinstreet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 pm

so who all is in control of the facebook group anyway? LET ME IN!

prefontaine
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby prefontaine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:12 am

I would like knowing those building names as well....

Ontology: Was at a restaurant tonight and realized that at this time next year New Glarus Brewing won't be available to us, and Ale Asylum will probably be a hard find as well :cry:

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:13 am

joining this thread happily :)

we'll see where the chips fall, but chicago would not be a bad place to wind up next year AT ALL :)

User avatar
gotmilk?
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 am

thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
Probably not much. I would guess that setting up the facebook group and ASW is as involved as they're going to get, and the rest is up to us. I know a few people living in Chicago, but they'd just laugh at me if I suggested they move down to Hyde Park to be my roommates. Are you part of the fb group yet? Only one person has braved posting so far.


ha i'm glad you view it as brave. no one brave enough to respond yet! (oh gosh did i just out who i really am on TLS?!?! *meltingggg*)

i wasn't sure if the admitted students site will supply a forum for meeting roommates or not, so i just took the plunge on the facebook group. the earlier we can find housing the better, i suppose.


OH SHIT... I'm totally going to stalk you now. WATCH OUT.


that's not creepy at all. at least you've revealed yourself to me so now i can keep away. nice profile pic.

nordicsair
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby nordicsair » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:53 am

^^ I'm basically looking to lock up my housing early too. I think I like Regents, though it's probably smart to wait until I actually see it at ASW. Splitting a 2 bedroom there actually looks pretty reasonable.

User avatar
echoi
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby echoi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:23 am

thorntll wrote:
thorntll wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:
Probably not much. I would guess that setting up the facebook group and ASW is as involved as they're going to get, and the rest is up to us. I know a few people living in Chicago, but they'd just laugh at me if I suggested they move down to Hyde Park to be my roommates. Are you part of the fb group yet? Only one person has braved posting so far.


ha i'm glad you view it as brave. no one brave enough to respond yet! (oh gosh did i just out who i really am on TLS?!?! *meltingggg*)

i wasn't sure if the admitted students site will supply a forum for meeting roommates or not, so i just took the plunge on the facebook group. the earlier we can find housing the better, i suppose.


OH SHIT... I'm totally going to stalk you now. WATCH OUT.


P.S. My username is so obvs, it's embarrassing. I probably should be more creative with that stuff.


Not anymore obvious than me or jerjon2. I guess us UChicago ppl really do fit the stereotype of being boring and uncreative.... :|

freeflowfox
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby freeflowfox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 am

To: EChoi:

The posting man's got 998 friends, jesus! I don't even know that many people in life! I'd say that he and his post are anything but lonely.

jerjon2
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby jerjon2 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 am

echoi wrote:Not anymore obvious than me or jerjon2. I guess us UChicago ppl really do fit the stereotype of being boring and uncreative.... :|


I don't think my username is indicative of me being boring or uncreative, just lazy... (I'm not saying that I'm not boring or uncreative though)

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 am

Judging by when you cats graduated college, I am older than all y'all. :-( When did 24 get to be old?!

User avatar
agentzer0
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby agentzer0 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:13 am

thorntll wrote:Judging by when you cats graduated college, I am older than all y'all. :-( When did 24 get to be old?!


24!? :shock: Hi there dinosaur... :lol:

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:52 am

agentzer0 wrote:
thorntll wrote:Judging by when you cats graduated college, I am older than all y'all. :-( When did 24 get to be old?!


24!? :shock: Hi there dinosaur... :lol:


Image

User avatar
ontologyfail
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ontologyfail » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:05 am

thorntll wrote:Judging by when you cats graduated college, I am older than all y'all. :-( When did 24 get to be old?!


It can't be old!!!! that's where I'll be soon, so I refuse to accept that it's old. yeah, these young punks make me feel old too

prefontaine wrote:I would like knowing those building names as well....

Ontology: Was at a restaurant tonight and realized that at this time next year New Glarus Brewing won't be available to us, and Ale Asylum will probably be a hard find as well :cry:


Yeah, ale asylum has a pretty limited distribution. You'd better believe I'm dragging people up to Milwaukee for the Lakefront tour though. I miss good beer so much. France might have great wine, but the beer you can get in small town provence...I've outright given it up for the year :cry:

User avatar
gotmilk?
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 am

freeflowfox wrote:To: EChoi:

The posting man's got 998 friends, jesus! I don't even know that many people in life! I'd say that he and his post are anything but lonely.


yikes this is just embarrassing. i have just been involved in several activities that lend themselves to making a lot of acquaintances, and my profile is in desperate need of a friend purge.

let the facebook stalking begin! ...or continue?

prefontaine
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby prefontaine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:48 am

I am surprised that there isn't good belgian beer available to you. Are you too far from Belgium to make a beer run?

There is also a Brocach in Milwaukee, but it isn't nearly as good as the one on the square.

User avatar
ontologyfail
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ontologyfail » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm

prefontaine wrote:I am surprised that there isn't good belgian beer available to you. Are you too far from Belgium to make a beer run?


Despite distances in Europe being much shorter than distances in the US, Belgium is still quite a ways away from the south of France. It would take anywhere from 4-7 hours by train depending on whether I could catch a high speed train, and more importantly, roundtrip tickets would cost over 100 euro, even with my youth pass that gives me half off. I haven't actually gone the entire time without beer-during my first vacation I went with a friend to Germany and the Czech Republic. Our itinerary was solely dictated by the desire to hit as many breweries as possible. We did well.

thorntll wrote:OH SHIT... I'm totally going to stalk you now. WATCH OUT.


I'm not sure that works with TLS boys...didn't you have quite a few discussing the hot ballerina at one point? I revise my position, you are the brave one.

prefontaine
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:11 am

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby prefontaine » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Didn't realize you were in the South, too bad you will be gone for the Tour. 2010 should be a good one.

My understanding is that the Czechs only drink pilsners, and I have never been able to appreciate them. Maybe they are less skunky over there, idk. Did you go to Praugue, and would you be able to add to the rave reviews I have heard?

thorntll
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby thorntll » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:01 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
thorntll wrote:OH SHIT... I'm totally going to stalk you now. WATCH OUT.


I'm not sure that works with TLS boys...didn't you have quite a few discussing the hot ballerina at one point? I revise my position, you are the brave one.


Well the joke's on them, because that is totally not a self-tar.

User avatar
Jay W. Weatherman
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby Jay W. Weatherman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Checking in. I was very pleasantly surprised to get the call yesterday. I didn't think I had much of a shot.
I've been a long time lurker and now that I finally have a few acceptances I can be social and say hello.

User avatar
ontologyfail
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Postby ontologyfail » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:27 am

prefontaine wrote: My understanding is that the Czechs only drink pilsners, and I have never been able to appreciate them. Maybe they are less skunky over there, idk. Did you go to Praugue, and would you be able to add to the rave reviews I have heard?


Pilsners are more common, but most of the breweries put out a few styles. I'm not a huge pilsner fan in general, but Budvar, at least when it's fresh, is good stuff. I've been to Prague twice, and if you asked me in 2004, I would have given an unequivocal endorsement. There's some beautiful architecture, tons of history, enough to keep you occupied for weeks. Both the costs and the crowds have gone way up since then. I still really like the city, and there's tons of other places in the Czech Republic I would encourage anyone to go to (Olomouc, Czechy Krumlov), just be forwarned that if you go in the middle of July, it might not live up to your expectations.

Jay W. Weatherman wrote:Checking in. I was very pleasantly surprised to get the call yesterday. I didn't think I had much of a shot.
I've been a long time lurker and now that I finally have a few acceptances I can be social and say hello.


Welcome. Anyone keeping Arrested Development's memory alive is good with me.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests