UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ClemCarter

Bronze

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by ClemCarter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:35 am

miamiman wrote:
I got the Chicago Plus Card. It automatically refills as needed -- I think this is the best of all the possible options, btw.

TITCR. If you're going to ride at least 5 days a week, get the monthly pass option to save a few bucks.

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:06 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
ellewoods110 wrote:
vickers711 wrote:I'm moving from Cali to Illinois and I'm taking my car with me...anyone know the specifics of getting a new license/plates? I went to the website for the dmv but they are not very helpful...they said I "might" need to retake a driving exam and for sure a written exam...I wonder if it's even necessary to get a new DL and plates if I'm not going to be in Chicago forever and plan on going back during summers/after law school to Cali. Thoughts??
I don't live in the city yet, but I live in the Chicago suburbs, and one of the things I hear people complain about most is how expensive the "city sticker" is to pay for and obtain, so be prepared for that. I always go to the currency exchange to renew my plates, and it costs about $100.00 a year, so if it is cheaper in cali than it is in illinois, you might want to just keep your plates.

You have to have a city sticker to park in the city of Chicago. Period. Regardless of what state your vehicle is titled in. The tickets for not having one are obscene (about $75 a pop) so it's best to renew that puppy every year and get it done.

When I moved my car and license to IL a few years ago, I only had to take a written exam that was silly easy, unless you've never operated a vehicle before. You had to identify a stop sign, etc. Other than that, the IL DMV is like the DMV everywhere: come patient and ready to be charged gratuitous fees.
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it! I don't know if I should just get Illinois plates if I'm planning on coming back to Cali...but I'm not even sure I'm still gonna have the same care 3 years from now. Its a mazda with 130k miles on it, so i'm not holding out for any miracles.

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:09 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:My fiance and I are living in South Loop

Any chance you and/or your fiance still pay Magic? It may sound totally nerdy but I haven't played in years, lost all my cards, but would be willing to buy some if anyone wants to play. If you don't play Magic, totally disregard this message...and change your avatar. It's a total tease :)

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:58 pm

vickers711 wrote:

Any chance you and/or your fiance still pay Magic? It may sound totally nerdy but I haven't played in years, lost all my cards, but would be willing to buy some if anyone wants to play. If you don't play Magic, totally disregard this message...and change your avatar. It's a total tease :)
:lol:

It's a Para-card.

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 pm

Emma. wrote:
vickers711 wrote:

:lol:

It's a Para-card.
wow, no idea what that is.all i know is that i wanna make my own...point the way!
I would give myself trample, haste, AND lifelink.
NERD ALERT!
and people think cool girls don't play Magic. Ha! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:15 pm

haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:19 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.
boooo! i'm on my own...i guess it'll just be me and 8th grade boys at the tournament then. I'm definitely making my own "para-card." And i would just like to say it saddens me that there are Magic posers on TLS. My hopes are shattered *sigh*

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:22 am

vickers711 wrote:
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it!

That's because the DMV is a state agency and the city sticker is a City of Chicago thing. The Chicago City Clerk sells it:

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:17 am

ClemCarter wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
OK, i've never even heard of a city sticker and I didn't even find one on the DMV website, so I'm glad you guys told me about it!

That's because the DMV is a state agency and the city sticker is a City of Chicago thing. The Chicago City Clerk sells it:

Thanks for the link! I will def try to get on it...

Bringing your car to Chicago from out of state is such a hassle...i'm beginning to think i shoulda just left it at home :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 pm

vickers711 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
vickers711 wrote:

Bringing your car to Chicago from out of state is such a hassle...i'm beginning to think i shoulda just left it at home :(
You and me both. I heard winter parking is pretty restricted, too.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:45 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
vickers711 wrote:

You and me both. I heard winter parking is pretty restricted, too.
Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:35 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Yea, I was planning on not bringing a car but then I spoke with a group of people who graduated from there a few years ago and they said living outside of Hyde Park, you NEED a car.. It is a big hassle.

Eh... it probably depends on your neighborhood. Finding a parking spot and avoiding street-cleaning tickets in mine is such a full-time job that it's not worth it. If you have access to safe and reliable transit where you've chosen to live, I don't think it will be such an insurmountable hassle.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:37 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Eh... it probably depends on your neighborhood. Finding a parking spot and avoiding street-cleaning tickets in mine is such a full-time job that it's not worth it. If you have access to safe and reliable transit where you've chosen to live, I don't think it will be such an insurmountable hassle.
Yea, this is why I have had problems making this decision because everyone has different opinions and its more expensive for me to bring my car but if I end up in the half that have told me you have to have a car, then I guess its worth it.. I just hope I dont figure out I wasted all my money bringing it and never needed it..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:48 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Yea, this is why I have had problems making this decision because everyone has different opinions and its more expensive for me to bring my car but if I end up in the half that have told me you have to have a car, then I guess its worth it.. I just hope I dont figure out I wasted all my money bringing it and never needed it..
I brought mine and thought I was going to street park, but ended up getting a pretty good deal on parking at my building. It'll be good to not have to deal with the parking drama, but I'm going to need to find ways to use the car in order to justify the extra expense.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:34 pm

vickers711 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:haha, I am sorry I dont play Magic. It is a para-card! You can make one if you ask Paratactical how to do it on this site.
boooo! i'm on my own...i guess it'll just be me and 8th grade boys at the tournament then. I'm definitely making my own "para-card." And i would just like to say it saddens me that there are Magic posers on TLS. My hopes are shattered *sigh*
I don't know if I'll be good competition, but some friends taught me how to play Magic a couple months ago, so you've got at least one potential sparring partner. :)

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:33 am

Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?
I thought as 1Ls we were out of luck as far as parking spots in the school lot.

Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 am

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Are people who are driving to school getting a spot in the parking lot or attempting to street park by the school?
+1
Emma. wrote:Anyone in town this weekend want to meet up for a drink?
I'll be in town starting Friday.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:41 am

Emma. wrote:

I might be up for getting a drink. I'm still living in the suburbs, so it would depend on where and that it's not too late because I have soooo much to do before I move to Hyde Park. But I would love to meet some of you!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Emma. wrote:

For the school lot yes but there are spots at the 55th and Ellis lot

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Emma. wrote:

I'll be around. How does everyone's Saturday look?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hcd18122

New

Post by hcd18122 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Emma. wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

I brought mine and thought I was going to street park, but ended up getting a pretty good deal on parking at my building. It'll be good to not have to deal with the parking drama, but I'm going to need to find ways to use the car in order to justify the extra expense.
It looks like zipcar might be another option: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/thats-a ... iving.html. I'm living inside Hyde Park, so I might take advantage of this if it looks like I need to make long trips outside of the campus area.

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:55 am

johnstuartmill wrote:
vickers711 wrote:
I don't know if I'll be good competition, but some friends taught me how to play Magic a couple months ago, so you've got at least one potential sparring partner. :)
awesome!!

vickers711

New

Post by vickers711 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:59 am

i'm already geared up to drive to chicago...i've never not had a car so i'm not sure how comfortable i would feel without it. I"m so torn now!! How would i be able to buy groceries and bring them home when it's super cold and snowing outside? On the other hand, i have no idea where i would be able to park since my building doesn't have a garage...

The stress continues...

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 am

vickers711 wrote:i'm already geared up to drive to chicago...i've never not had a car so i'm not sure how comfortable i would feel without it. I"m so torn now!! How would i be able to buy groceries and bring them home when it's super cold and snowing outside? On the other hand, i have no idea where i would be able to park since my building doesn't have a garage...

The stress continues...
Where are you living? Treasure Island seems OK and it is definitely walkable for a lot of Hyde Park if you needed to. It seems like enough of us will have cars that it won't be a problem getting rides to go pick up groceries.

That being said, I'm glad to have a car.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”