UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ValiantVic

Bronze

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by ValiantVic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Who is thinking about living in Regents? I was thinking about getting a place in Lincoln Park but I hear that's a little too far.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 pm

The regents website lists the low range of rent for a two bedroom at 1350, but the law student deal is for 1395. Is this because of the internet? And I didn't see a deal for three bedroom apartments, so I'm assuming there isn't one?

Also, here's the link for the Regents 2010-2011 flyer
--LinkRemoved--

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 pm

ChaotiCait wrote:The regents website lists the low range of rent for a two bedroom at 1350, but the law student deal is for 1395. Is this because of the internet? And I didn't see a deal for three bedroom apartments, so I'm assuming there isn't one?

--LinkRemoved--
That is incorrect. The law school discount is at least 200 bucks less than regular not including the perks.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
ChaotiCait wrote:The regents website lists the low range of rent for a two bedroom at 1350, but the law student deal is for 1395. Is this because of the internet? And I didn't see a deal for three bedroom apartments, so I'm assuming there isn't one?

--LinkRemoved--
That is incorrect. The law school discount is at least 200 bucks less than regular not including the perks.
Sounds like Regents is pretty overpriced, if you look around you can see some REALLY nice stuff in the same relative area for cheaper, much cheaper.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
I'm just listing the prices on the website. Maybe they give you the nicer apts that would normally have a higher rent? The flyer was listing the prices for this coming year, the range listed for a 2 Br on the website is $1350 - $1899 I guess I just expected that they would be giving us the cheaper apartments, based on the nickel and dime reputation they seem to have with many people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 am

ValiantVic wrote:Who is thinking about living in Regents? I was thinking about getting a place in Lincoln Park but I hear that's a little too far.
I want to live in Lincoln Park (or Lakeview or Wrigleyville). I don't want to have to move again after my first year, and the BF and I already have some friends in Chicago, so I'd like to be closer to them. Plus, I like to be in the center of it all.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:16 am

thorntll wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:Who is thinking about living in Regents? I was thinking about getting a place in Lincoln Park but I hear that's a little too far.
I want to live in Lincoln Park (or Lakeview or Wrigleyville). I don't want to have to move again after my first year, and the BF and I already have some friends in Chicago, so I'd like to be closer to them. Plus, I like to be in the center of it all.
I really want to live in Lakeview also but my GF and I decided that we might as well live in Regents for one year to get familiar with the area because we have never lived or even been to Chicago yet!

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:10 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thorntll wrote:
I really want to live in Lakeview also but my GF and I decided that we might as well live in Regents for one year to get familiar with the area because we have never lived or even been to Chicago yet!
in the same boat - i'd love to live somewhere cool and fun, but maybe that's a bad idea when there's the potential to get seriously lost every day for a few months?

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 am

gahthelaw wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thorntll wrote:
in the same boat - i'd love to live somewhere cool and fun, but maybe that's a bad idea when there's the potential to get seriously lost every day for a few months?
I got this for christmas and am very excited, its a small GPS that can fit in your pocket or purse, and it has this thing called city explorer, which tells you how to get places using all the public transportation in a city. I'm thinking it'll come in very handy in my first months.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCvi- ... B001U0O7QW

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 am

ChaotiCait wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
I got this for christmas and am very excited, its a small GPS that can fit in your pocket or purse, and it has this thing called city explorer, which tells you how to get places using all the public transportation in a city. I'm thinking it'll come in very handy in my first months.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCvi- ... B001U0O7QW
oooo - good find! i generally use my blackberry with google maps so i can be 'checking a text message' whenever i'm lost somewhere new.

nucat

New

Post by nucat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:59 am

Coming out of lurk mode to ask: if you plan on living north of Hyde Park, what do you plan to do for transit to school on a daily basis? Drive and park? Public transit? Sleigh? I'm considering Lincoln Park, Loop, or River North, and would love to hear what others are planning.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm

nucat wrote:Coming out of lurk mode to ask: if you plan on living north of Hyde Park, what do you plan to do for transit to school on a daily basis? Drive and park? Public transit? Sleigh? I'm considering Lincoln Park, Loop, or River North, and would love to hear what others are planning.
i'd be coming from NYC and i have 0 intention of buying a car. i have a friend who did the same and says she's been ok without one - she relies on public transpo.

EWalsh.Arts

New

Post by EWalsh.Arts » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Last edited by EWalsh.Arts on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating scholarships higher yet?

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 pm

nucat wrote:Coming out of lurk mode to ask: if you plan on living north of Hyde Park, what do you plan to do for transit to school on a daily basis? Drive and park? Public transit? Sleigh? I'm considering Lincoln Park, Loop, or River North, and would love to hear what others are planning.
Planning on pub transit. I'm considering living in the same areas so any advice anyone could give would be great for me as well.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 am

Reinhardt wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating scholarships higher yet?
yup.... Pigs have a better chance at flying lol I'm not the only one who has, there were a couple people in this thread or another talking about it.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 am

ValiantVic wrote:
Planning on pub transit. I'm considering living in the same areas so any advice anyone could give would be great for me as well.
I'm actually thinking I might drive. There's free street parking, as long as you get there by 7:30-7:45 in the morning. It sounds brutal, especially during the winter, but I always do my best work in the morning anyway, so it would be good to make myself get up. (In UG, I always thought I did my best work from about 10pm to 3am. Since joining the 9-5 world, I realize this is not true. I was just lazy.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:12 am

Is it just me, or is the phrase "law school" spelled wrong in every post on TLS today? Is this an April Fool's thing, or am I slacking on my lingo? I really hate April Fool's Day.

P.S. If that phrase in my post comes out spelled wrong... Then we know. Good one, TLS.

Edit: Goddammit!

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 pm

thorntll wrote:Is it just me, or is the phrase "lawl skool" spelled wrong in every post on lishi today? Is this an April Fool's thing, or am I slacking on my lingo? I really hate April Fool's Day.

P.S. If that phrase in my post comes out spelled wrong... Then we know. Good one, lishi.

Yeah, I thought ranover was being a bit harsh, then I flipped over to the main page and realized what day it is. It reminds me of when pirate english came out on facebook :D

EWalsh.Arts

New

Post by EWalsh.Arts » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 am

thorntll wrote:Is it just me, or is the phrase "lawl skool" spelled wrong in every post on lishi today? Is this an April Fool's thing, or am I slacking on my lingo? I really hate April Fool's Day.

P.S. If that phrase in my post comes out spelled wrong... Then we know. Good one, lishi.

So weird! I checked my post and thought it was a typo, but when I go to edit it, it shows up with the correct spelling. Maybe it's the capitalization that throws it off. Let's see . . .
No caps -- law school
Caps -- Law School

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:29 am

One person on LSN has a dollar amount that really stands out, and I have reason to believe it's from negotiation. It gives me hope.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:21 pm

What is their financial situation? I know some schools have larger endowments than others so maybe that might be why U of C doesn't give out as much in scholly aid...

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Since I'm bored I'm going to start a "Name One Thing You Love And One Thing You Hate About Chicago Thread".

Love: Deep Dish Pizza
Hate: Cubs

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:08 pm

ValiantVic wrote:Since I'm bored I'm going to start a "Name One Thing You Love And One Thing You Hate About Chicago Thread".

This

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:33 pm

ValiantVic wrote:Since I'm bored I'm going to start a "Name One Thing You Love And One Thing You Hate About Chicago Thread".

Love: [strike]Deep Dish Pizza[/strike] Cubs
Hate: [strike]Cubs[/strike] Deep Dish Pizza

St. Louis-style thin crust is the way to go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”