UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
echoi

Bronze

UChicago Class of 2013

Post by echoi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Long time comin.... :D

Gold

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by 02082010 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:09 pm

super depressed

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm in!

So...what do we talk about in these threads before the admitted student's website is even up?

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:13 pm

haha, i guess start with a/s/l? i'm curious to see where everyone's comin from

22 korean guy from portland oregon, went to UT for undergrad.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm in!!!

Feels great to be done with my cycle :D

PS. I'm also a dude from Oregon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:24 pm

20 year old (will be 21 by the time i get to law school, thank god), dude, Tacoma, WA (originally from CA bay area).

ontologyfail, i'd love it if you explain your username. i think ontology's totally cool. :D

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail, i'd love it if you explain your username. i think ontology's totally cool. :D

Haha, no problem. I'm certainly not trying to diss ontology. I was out drinking with my grad school buddies one night, and we were ranting about another particular group of graduate students. After a few pitchers of beer, and a concurrent discussion of failblog, we somehow decided that they not only failed at life, but did so so completely that they failed at existence. Hence ontologyfail :D Ontology doesn't fit perfectly within the fail construction to meet our definition of them, but I liked the word all the same.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Also: 23, female. Grew up in Minnesota, school at UW-Madison, currently teaching English in France.

patrickchillis

New

Post by patrickchillis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Whats up guys?

Pumped to be posting here; 21 yr old male from the bay area currently at UMichigan. Is everyone going to ASW?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nwpdx

New

Post by nwpdx » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:46 pm

Also from Portland, Oregon. Was very pleased to receive Ann Perry's call this morning, and looking forward to meeting everyone in September - although it looks like we might have critical mass for a Portland get-together!

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 pm

24-year-old male UCLA grad checking in. I'm from Bakersfield, but live near my alma mater in West L.A. at the moment. I did a political science program for undergrad, but I focused on political theory and read a lot of philosophy, so I can appreciate the "ontologyfail" username. :lol: (Although, wouldn't the other grad students' ontologyfail mean that they think something exists when it in fact doesn't [or the other way around], and not that they don't exist? Or am I flubbing my Intarwebz grammar here?)

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:33 pm

I'm a 22 year old soon to be Electrical Engineering Graduate from Georgia Tech. I just got the ED decision call today. I was at the movies watching avatar in 3D and I ignored the call because I didn't recognize the number. I got the message and realized who it was from and then I got scared but it turned out good... (Want to do Patent Law by the way)

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 pm

jerjon2 wrote: I was at the movies watching avatar in 3D
Dude, how sick was that movie? :o

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 pm

nwpdx wrote:Also from Portland, Oregon. Was very pleased to receive Ann Perry's call this morning, and looking forward to meeting everyone in September - although it looks like we might have critical mass for a Portland get-together!
i'm down. hell, i'm either going to be on 2nd or at the mcmenamins up by nob hill getting faded tonight, so if anyone from portland sees this thread before 930 and wants to meet up later, PM me.

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:54 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
jerjon2 wrote: I was at the movies watching avatar in 3D
Dude, how sick was that movie? :o
Very, but the entire time I was thinking, there's no way they would call if it wasn't to let me in is there? Very thankful that was the proper assumption. I really liked the movie though.

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:20 am

patrickchillis wrote:Whats up guys?

Pumped to be posting here; 21 yr old male from the bay area currently at UMichigan. Is everyone going to ASW?
please tell me that you're also a niners fan. i'm a diehard who has been hopelessly optimistic since 2002 :cry:

i've also been a michigan fan for forever. this could be great. where in the bay are you from? i'm from around san jose (sunnyvale to be specific)

don't know if i'm going to ASW... not sure if it is worth the cost, considering that I already know that i'm attending. is there a reason for us to go other than to meet people and enjoy ourselves?

crazy how many west coast people were accepted today.

edited for grammar. b/c i don't need to know anything now that i'm in at law school!

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 am

johnstuartmill wrote: (Although, wouldn't the other grad students' ontologyfail mean that they think something exists when it in fact doesn't [or the other way around], and not that they don't exist? Or am I flubbing my Intarwebz grammar here?)
Well, we were trying to say that they failedat existence, not failed to exist; we also wanted to imply that they didn't even realize they were doing so. But I think the real key to the story is:
after a few pitchers of beer
where the n of the pitchers of beer may have been greater than the n of grad students... :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:44 am

patrickchillis wrote: don't know if i'm going to ASW... not sure if it is worth the cost, considering that I already know that i'm attending. is there a reason for us to go other than to meet people and enjoy ourselves?

ASWs are more important for RD people who aren't sure where they want to go. I would like to go, but there's just no way to justify flying home from Europe to briefly meet people a few months early.

As a Midwesterner, I would like to formally welcome everyone from the coasts to our little corner of the country. Bring warm clothes :lol:

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:10 am

ontologyfail wrote:[...]

But I think the real key to the story is:
after a few pitchers of beer
where the n of the pitchers of beer may have been greater than the n of grad students... :)
In that case, alcohol win.

patrickchillis

New

Post by patrickchillis » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:14 pm

gotmilk? wrote:

please tell me that you're also a niners fan. i'm a diehard who has been hopelessly optimistic since 2002 :cry:

i've also been a michigan fan for forever. this could be great. where in the bay are you from? i'm from around san jose (sunnyvale to be specific)

don't know if i'm going to ASW... not sure if it is worth the cost, considering that I already know that i'm attending. is there a reason for us to go other than to meet people and enjoy ourselves?

edited for grammar. b/c i don't need to know anything now that i'm in at law school!

ya im a huge niners fan...this year has been such a mixed bag, but i can legitimately be optimistic for the future after this year, which is a semi-long lost feeling

and while i came into michigan being a michigan fan since i was a kid (charles woodson, anyone?), ive since been discouraged and now am no longer following them that much haha

....and the west coast rules. im here for winter break and its 65 degrees and sunny......

patrickchillis

New

Post by patrickchillis » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:15 pm

gotmilk? wrote:

o ya and im from the oakland area (ill PM you; still not HUGELY comfortable giving away all my info on the web)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:07 am

patrickchillis wrote:....and the west coast rules. im here for winter break and its 65 degrees and sunny......
+1. I'm in L.A., where it was something like 75 yesterday. It's unbelievable -- I'm sure as shit gonna settle down here in SoCal after I graduate.

Is anyone else worried that they won't be able to adjust to the Chicago weather? I can handle heat pretty well (not that I'd need to in L.A.), but I haven't experienced a freezing winter since I lived in Denver back in the second grade. I've always been in nerd-love with the University of Chicago, but I almost EDed elsewhere literally just because of the brutal winters. :|

prefontaine

New

Post by prefontaine » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:07 am

24 M/ UW-Madison. Even though I've dealt with a Midwestern winter every year of my life, I'm not looking forward to dealing with three more of them on the Lake Michigan lake front. If I were a better person I'd sympathize with ppl who aren't used to it, but the spiteful part of me prevents it, knowing that they were in a nice climate while I was freezing my ass off...

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Prefontaine-We must have been at Madison the same time. Did you ever take Plant & Man?

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:03 pm

patrickchillis wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:

o ya and im from the oakland area (ill PM you; still not HUGELY comfortable giving away all my info on the web)
wow niners fan from oakland? that can probably get interesting...

i just got back to the bay last night (drove all the way from around seattle, WA). pretty exhausted, but the weather is great.

i'm definitely concerned about the weather, being from california. i'd like to think that my three years in washington have been a nice in-between adjustment period. we'll see...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”