UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gotmilk?

Bronze

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by gotmilk? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 pm

agentzer0 wrote:What is it that pushes people into Regents over New Grad? I guess it's nicer, more spacious, less dorm-y... but 0 commute seems like a pretty big plus to me?
i love the avatar. hilarious.

i would assume it is the fact that regents apartments have kitchens, whereas new grad ones don't? that seems pretty big to me... not sure if i would want to survive on dorm food next year.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Hmm I feel like for 1L living off dorm food might be a worthwhile sacrifice for the extra time it would save

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Is anyone going to the February 10th admitted students day? I can't make ASW.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:What is it that pushes people into Regents over New Grad? I guess it's nicer, more spacious, less dorm-y... but 0 commute seems like a pretty big plus to me?

i would assume it is the fact that regents apartments have kitchens, whereas new grad ones don't? that seems pretty big to me... not sure if i would want to survive on dorm food next year.
+1 I love to cook. if i weren't able to it would multiply the stress of 1L exponentially.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
gotmilk? wrote:

+1 I love to cook. if i weren't able to it would multiply the stress of 1L exponentially.
Well I'm a classically trained French master-chef (you might recognize me from my appearance on Iron Chef America where I made Bobby Flay cry) ... ok not really, but I do enjoy cooking. What I don't enjoy are spending extra time buying groceries and worse; doing dishes. I also don't enjoy Bobby Flay: "oh it's your wedding day? Well I'm here to CHALLENGE you to a cook-off for national TV, that's cool right?" What a tool. The only one worse is Rachel Ray

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:49 pm

gahthelaw wrote: +1 I love to cook. if i weren't able to it would multiply the stress of 1L exponentially.
+2
agentzer0 wrote: I do enjoy cooking. What I don't enjoy are spending extra time buying groceries and worse; doing dishes.
My understanding is that apartments in Regents have dishwashers (yay!) and electric burners (boo). I dislike electric burners more than I dislike washing dishes, which is one of the reasons why I'm looking into university owned apartments rather than Regents.
agentzer0 wrote: The only one worse is Rachel Ray
Don't forget Sandra Lee & Giada. If I wanted to cook like a suburban housewife I would go steal my mom's Ladies' Home journal. Now Anthony Bourdain, Mario Batali...they actually understand what good food and good cooking are about.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 pm

maggiebre wrote:Is anyone going to the February 10th admitted students day? I can't make ASW.
I have been thinking about it because I would like to make a decision sooner rather than later, and their quarter system makes ASW so late. I really don't know what to do because I feel like even if I did visit early I would still feel that I needed to go to the 'big show' before making a decision.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:08 pm

ontologyfail wrote:
gahthelaw wrote: +1 I love to cook. if i weren't able to it would multiply the stress of 1L exponentially.
+2
agentzer0 wrote: I do enjoy cooking. What I don't enjoy are spending extra time buying groceries and worse; doing dishes.
My understanding is that apartments in Regents have dishwashers (yay!) and electric burners (boo). I dislike electric burners more than I dislike washing dishes, which is one of the reasons why I'm looking into university owned apartments rather than Regents.
agentzer0 wrote: The only one worse is Rachel Ray
Don't forget Sandra Lee & Giada. If I wanted to cook like a suburban housewife I would go steal my mom's Ladies' Home journal. Now Anthony Bourdain, Mario Batali...they actually understand what good food and good cooking are about.
If I had to pick one person to hang out with forever it would be Bourdain. His unrepentant disgust with people like Rachel Ray and his disdain for boring shit really hit home for me. And he clowns on Andrew Zimmern.

prefontaine

New

Post by prefontaine » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

maggiebre wrote:Is anyone going to the February 10th admitted students day? I can't make ASW.
Probably not going Feb 10th -- thinking about March 2nd w/ Nussbasum. However, I might want to look at apartment I like, and going would be a good excuse not to go to work on a Monday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm

Got my packet today, w00t w00t.

Also, I love Giada. Her food is delicious and clean and healthy, and it's always entertaining to see her incredibly short, T-Rex arms. (Seriously, look a full-body picture of her.)

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:26 pm

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

thorntll wrote:Got my packet today, w00t w00t.

Also, I love Giada. Her food is delicious and clean and healthy, and it's always entertaining to see her incredibly short, T-Rex arms. (Seriously, look a full-body picture of her.)

wow...you're totally right. i never noticed.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:35 pm

I just hate the way she speaks with a 100% English accent until some random Italian ingredient comes along and then its "MOZZARELLLLLA"

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:36 pm

agentzer0 wrote:

I just hate the way she speaks with a 100% English accent until some random Italian ingredient comes along and then its "MOZZARELLLLLA"
to her credit, if you speak both languages its sort of hard to americanize the one word. though i think she does exaggerate it a little.

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:38 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

to her credit, if you speak both languages its sort of hard to americanize the one word. though i think she does exaggerate it a little.
Fair enough, I think she's just trying to play up her [phony?] authenticity. Also when I said "english accent" I meant American.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Just booked my ticket for ASW, excited to come visit (and see 3 other law schools the same week)!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

agentzer0

Bronze

Post by agentzer0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:39 pm

ontologyfail wrote:Image
Nice

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:39 pm

agentzer0 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

Fair enough, I think she's just trying to play up her [phony?] authenticity. Also when I said "english accent" I meant American.
haha i agree with you there. i just feel for her bc sometimes i have the same problem. tbf i think she was born in italy.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Just booked my ticket for ASW, excited to come visit (and see 3 other law schools the same week)!
yay! i have to get on that. i scheduled the vacation time but i need a flight.

has anyone already contacted them about a reimbursement of travel costs?

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:47 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:Got my packet today, w00t w00t.

haha i agree with you there. i just feel for her bc sometimes i have the same problem. tbf i think she was born in italy.
Yeah, she is actually Italian. And a little part of me dies every time someone calls a crêpe a 'crape'. Still...it seems forced and gets annoying. I reserve my right to be hypocritical

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 am

funny how i started a conversation about cooking when i myself don't really love doing it and am certainly no master chef... i'm with mr. gun in the locker room (sorry for the sports reference) in that it does sound like a pain to have to go buy groceries and cook meals and all that. at the same time though, i'll need to get good at cooking my food eventually, and home cooked food certainly tastes better than dorm food. perhaps at ASW i should investigate the food quality/i should ask people i know who go to uchicago.

lovin the insults of rachel ray and crew.

i also don't have my acceptance packet yet despite being accepted ED... i'm anxious to see it

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:35 am

gotmilk? wrote: lovin the insults of rachel ray and crew.

i also don't have my acceptance packet yet despite being accepted ED... i'm anxious to see it
1) anytime

2) got mine today. now I'm just waiting to hear back about the merit aid us EDers have about 0.5% chance of getting.

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 am

ontologyfail wrote:

1) anytime

2) got mine today. now I'm just waiting to hear back about the merit aid us EDers have about 0.5% chance of getting.
ha, gave up on that quite some time ago (like the day i applied). if only they went for people with high GPAs despite their LSATs being at the 25%... and the fact that they are already committed to going... doh. if anything, chicago's superior knowledge of economics entirely precludes us from any chance at merit aid. if i were you, i would redirect my prayers to the need-based aid gods (that's certainly what i'm doing right now).

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:21 am

gotmilk? wrote:
ontologyfail wrote:

1) anytime

ha, gave up on that quite some time ago (like the day i applied). if only they went for people with high GPAs despite their LSATs being at the 25%... and the fact that they are already committed to going... doh. if anything, chicago's superior knowledge of economics entirely precludes us from any chance at merit aid. if i were you, i would redirect my prayers to the need-based aid gods (that's certainly what i'm doing right now).
+1, That's what I'm hoping for.
Did everyone finish the need access forms that are due extra early for Chicago?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”