Employment outlook for UDC Law Graduates in D.C. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: Employment outlook for UDC Law Graduates in D.C.

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.sandlerlawllc.com/attorney.htm (Top criminal defense attorney in Maryland and a member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum) Yep, she is a millionaire and does not work in big law.
I was impressed by her "Comparative Corrections Institute, Imperial College, London, England" credential until I Googled it and saw it is almost certainly from the The American University/Imperial College of Science and Technology in London. Also, besides misstating the prestige of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum (see e.g. http://www.newyorkpersonalinjuryattorne ... -that.html, it is only if you won or settled a million dollar case, not if you are a millionaire.... Mods?

DC7935

New

Post by DC7935 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:10 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.sandlerlawllc.com/attorney.htm (Top criminal defense attorney in Maryland and a member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum) Yep, she is a millionaire and does not work in big law.
I was impressed by her "Comparative Corrections Institute, Imperial College, London, England" credential until I Googled it and saw it is almost certainly from the The American University/Imperial College of Science and Technology in London. Also, besides misstating the prestige of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum (see e.g. http://www.newyorkpersonalinjuryattorne ... -that.html, it is only if you won or settled a million dollar case, not if you are a millionaire.... Mods?
She is one of the top trial attorneys in the Washington area and that is what you are impressed by? You are a weird person.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:23 pm

DC7935 wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
She is one of the top trial attorneys in the Washington area and that is what you are impressed by? You are a weird person.
Granting I am weird and that she could be one of the top trial attorneys, without some sort of objective measurement (and magazine rankings don't count) or reliance on opinions of people I trust, I am going to look at signals like where she is published, where she worked, what boards she sits on and where she went to school. The cases she lists do indicate some level of quality, but unless I have something to compare it to, I have no idea how it is obvious that she is a top trial attorney.

cms2013

New

Post by cms2013 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 pm

***If the you think the law school you go to matters, think again. It does not matter whether you go to a top tier law school or a low tier one. If you are a well rounded individual with massive contacts, experience, and amazing people skills you can pretty much get a job where ever you wish. However, I do feel sorry for those fellow colleagues that incurred massive debt in their prospective top ranking schools... At the end of the day the direction in which this country is headed, it wont matter what # you were at your designated law school, what will matter is if your journey you were a leader, not a follower.***

So you choose...

Pay $ that equals to a mortgage, or actually pay for a mortgage.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: ***If the you think the law school you go to matters, think again. It does not matter whether you go to a top tier law school or a low tier one. If you are a well rounded individual with massive contacts, experience, and amazing people skills you can pretty much get a job where ever you wish. However, I do feel sorry for those fellow colleagues that incurred massive debt in their prospective top ranking schools... At the end of the day the direction in which this country is headed, it wont matter what # you were at your designated law school, what will matter is if your journey you were a leader, not a follower.***

So you choose...

wut?

also, why anonymous?

also, just get it over with and tell us your anecdote about how you/your friend/your sister's fiancee's bowling coach's gardener's dog, etc went to some TTTT and is now working at Cravath and therefore all we should think about are possibilities and not probabilities.

ETA: I take your pt about cost. If what you are saying is that you are better off paying for UDC at 8K/year over some trash heap like American at sticker, I agree wholeheartedly. But to say prestige doesn't matter in legal hiring is just wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Wasn't UDC the school with the huge cheating scandal where all of the 1Ls were forced to retake an exam?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote: ***If the you think the law school you go to matters, think again. It does not matter whether you go to a top tier law school or a low tier one. If you are a well rounded individual with massive contacts, experience, and amazing people skills you can pretty much get a job where ever you wish. However, I do feel sorry for those fellow colleagues that incurred massive debt in their prospective top ranking schools... At the end of the day the direction in which this country is headed, it wont matter what # you were at your designated law school, what will matter is if your journey you were a leader, not a follower.***

So you choose...

Really? Do you really think anyone was every going to dig up this thread from 2009 to decide this day and age (knowing precisely what the legal economy looks like) whether attending UDC is a good decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment”