Top Areas for Cyber Law Employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gprime

New

Top Areas for Cyber Law Employment?

Post by gprime » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:32 pm

In the past few months, I've been thinking more and more about the sort of law I want to practice. Granted, time is on my side - I'm still a college junior - but all the same, as I do more research about the law schools themselves, looking over clinic lists reminds me that I don't really want to do PI work, but I also don't want to be one of the many unspecialized biglaw/midlaw cogs* either (since I imagine I'll wind up at a decent law school and the economy will have rebounded come OCI time, meaning I would hopefully have such options at my disposal). I think I'd rather work in a specialized boutique firm of sorts, where even if I have a lower starting salary, I can still earn a good living in the long term without the hell of a V100 associate life. And the area that interests me most, broad as it is, is cyber law. To be clear, I'm not talking about the sort that is contingent upon passing the patent bar (that is, IP law), but cyber law more generally, and the various topics tied to it (online privacy rights, free speech, 2257 provisions as applied to dumb-pipe sites, ect).

Now, my applications will certainly skew towards to the T14/T20 (depending on my June LSAT score, as I've only had a diagnostic thus far), but I figure that a few regional safeties may be necessary. And that means determining where exactly the best markets for cyber lawyers are. I'd imagine the SF Bay area, Boston, and then maybe NY, but I'm not sure. So somebody please fill in the gaps of my knowledge.

* - Not intended as a pejorative. I apologize if I've offended anybody.

Return to “Legal Employment”