1L POLL: when are you sending out cover letters & resumes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

When will you have all your 1L summer apps out by?

1st week of Dec
24%
2nd week of Dec
10%
3rd week of Dec
22%
Last week of Dec
21%
Sometime in the new year
22%

Total votes: 58

dood

1L POLL: when are you sending out cover letters & resumes?

Postby dood » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Re: 1L POLL: when are you sending out cover letters & resumes?

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Finals come first. Anyway, I hope to find something through NYU's famous public interest fair, and that is still some months off. I'll apply to a few nonprofits I would most love to work for, and focus on working hard for one of my school's public interest summer grants. I believe eligibility is based on the number of hours we put in fundraising so that most, if not all, PI students can get something. But finals absolutely come first.

ihatelaw

Postby ihatelaw » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:49 pm

im waiting to be done with finals. im hoping to work at a nonprofit or be a research assistant so its not as big of a deal to wait i guess. the nyu public interest thing + researching other public interest jobs can all wait till after civil procedure has finished with me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:16 am

I had pretty good grades and wanted to capitalize on them before this semester's grades (which I anticipate will be worse!) come out, and I've sent out a few cover letters and resumes to firms, judges, PI stuff, USAO, and DA offices. I've gotten a few interview offers already, and some places say they expect to be done with hiring by early January.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:18 am

I'm sending them out nowish. Whenever I get a chance.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 pm

i sent one wave out the 1st, will send a 2nd wave over holiday break, then if all else fails, a 3rd wave in January

observations:
1)already heard back from 5-6 firms and none of the answers were yes
2)i should have spent the time studying

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:37 pm

wiseowl wrote:i sent one wave out the 1st, will send a 2nd wave over holiday break, then if all else fails, a 3rd wave in January

observations:
1)already heard back from 5-6 firms and none of the answers were yes
2)i should have spent the time studying

I really feel the opposite about this. Although I've had like 30 odd rejections from firms, I have 4 interviews next week with judges and one with a firm. I also don't think it affected my finals studying at all.

misformafia

Postby misformafia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:49 pm

How do you guys have time for this? Finals own my life until the 15th!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 pm

misformafia wrote:How do you guys have time for this? Finals own my life until the 15th!!

Honestly, becasue I started working on it with some friends in October and did some stuff over the summer.

Oban

Postby Oban » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Acording to the people i've talked with, you should have already sent everything out by now(except for judicial positions)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 pm

They're all sent already. Got them out the first week in December, but I only sent out about 20. If none of those come through, I'm looking for an RA job.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

i should mention i only sent to firms. other "waves" will be judges and in-house.

im operating under the premise that if a judge offers you you'd better accept, and im trying to at least give the firm thing a shot before i do that.

misformafia

Postby misformafia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Oban wrote:Acording to the people i've talked with, you should have already sent everything out by now(except for judicial positions)

Dear god.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Oban wrote:Acording to the people i've talked with, you should have already sent everything out by now(except for judicial positions)

Yes. For federal. Some state courts want them later, and one federal district doesn't want them until grades, minus one judge....

agumon

Postby agumon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:59 am

I thought the main factor on whether you get summer employment was first semester grades? Could someone explain why you'd send out resumes/cover letters when you can't put your class rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:11 am

agumon wrote:I thought the main factor on whether you get summer employment was first semester grades? Could someone explain why you'd send out resumes/cover letters when you can't put your class rank?

Some hiring happens before grades come out.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
agumon wrote:I thought the main factor on whether you get summer employment was first semester grades? Could someone explain why you'd send out resumes/cover letters when you can't put your class rank?

You want hiring before grades come out. :D

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you just clumsy with the anonymous button, or are you actually afraid someone will find out you are looking for employment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know if that will happen ITE. One data point FWIW:
My target market is small, I have a permanent address there and several other connections to it on my resume, covering a few years. I can't imagine many other T10 students target it, and randomly looking at attorney profiles shows mostly local JD's. I am about as good of an applicant as a 1L can be without grades: T20 UG, tough major, solid WE.

I have sent resumes with tailored cover letters to 12 firms in the past week. I have gotten 5 responses so far: 2 saying there are no openings, 1 saying there are no openings outside the diversity clerkship program, and 2 saying "send grades, then we'll see." I don't know what it was like in years past, but I don't expect to get a serious look from anyone until grades come out.

Edited to update.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you just clumsy with the anonymous button, or are you actually afraid someone will find out you are looking for employment?

I am the same person who says they have 5 interviews (and now 6). I would rather that not my identity be revealed, as I am a common poster and I don't want to look like a douchette.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I am the same person who says they have 5 interviews (and now 6). I would rather that not my identity be revealed, as I am a common poster and I don't want to look like a douchette.

Fair enough. Who am I to question, when I'm sitting on a big pile of "unfortunately..." letters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fair enough. Who am I to question, when I'm sitting on a big pile of "unfortunately..." letters.

I have about 35 of those. And I got 7 today. It is literally the only thing that came in the mail. It is OK...something will come along. :)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have about 35 of those. And I got 7 today. It is literally the only thing that came in the mail. It is OK...something will come along. :)

Yeah, I have two "we'll be in touch" emails to keep me warm at night. I only sent out about 20 apps, all to long-shot jobs. Hoping one comes through, but if not I've got a fall-back plan.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Might depend what you're doing. I didn't send grades to anyone. I applied to about 25 places. I have an internship.

Return to “Legal Employment”