Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Columbia Law » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Not trying to imply anything. Just thought it would be interesting to share how bad it is for people out there.

--LinkRemoved--

JUNIOR ATTORNEY (LOWER MANHATTAN)
Date: 2009-12-03, 10:01AM EST
Reply to: job-6c3g8-1492890415@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

PART TIME WORK RESEARCH, WRITING, COURT APPEARANCES FOR SMALL GENERAL PRACTICE LAW FIRM .PLEASE BE MATURE, COHERENT WELL FOCUSED, SELF STARTING, HARD-WORKING, WILLING TO LEARN FROM TEMPLATE.

* Location: LOWER MANHATTAN
* Compensation: $13-$16 PER hour
* This is a part-time job.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Gunz353 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I hear Wachtell dropped its first year associate bonuses down to only $115k. Things are bad.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Gunz353 wrote:I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

But it's impossible to break into BIGWAITSTAFF. Not joking.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

It really is kind of tough to get a decent waitstaff job if you don't have prior experience. Same (but even moreso) for bartending.

Disclaimer: this generally doesn't apply, particularly in college town bars, to attractive women who seem like they can hold their liquor.

User avatar
Rocketman11
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

But it's impossible to break into BIGWAITSTAFF. Not joking.


rofl good job Kohinoor

User avatar
crazycanuck
Posts: 3035
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I make $6/hour more as a front desk clerk at a hotel. And I don't have to do any work.

My gf makes $25/hour in housekeeping at the same hotel, but housekeeping sucks. Probably more than this job.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:06 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Disclaimer: this generally doesn't apply, particularly in college town bars, to attractive women who seem like they can hold their liquor.


This is extremely true. Its how I paid for senior year.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

But it's impossible to break into BIGWAITSTAFF. Not joking.

You thought that the hours in Biglaw were grueling...

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby CE2JD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 pm

crazycanuck wrote:I make $6/hour more as a front desk clerk at a hotel. And I don't have to do any work.

My gf makes $25/hour in housekeeping at the same hotel, but housekeeping sucks. Probably more than this job.


Solution: sue your employer for violating federal minimum wage laws.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:07 pm

GOD DAMN IT

*heads to TTT rooftop*

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby jmhendri » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 pm

:wink:
Last edited by jmhendri on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.

melaniec
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby melaniec » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:11 pm

CE2JD wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:I make $6/hour more as a front desk clerk at a hotel. And I don't have to do any work.

My gf makes $25/hour in housekeeping at the same hotel, but housekeeping sucks. Probably more than this job.


Solution: sue your employer for violating federal minimum wage laws.


he said $6/hr MORE. not just 6/hr

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.


True.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.


These ads are a total joke. Almost no lawyer finds his or her job through Craigslist. Serious law firms post their listings on each school's careers database.

Job postings in general are overrated. Networking is the key for Non-OCI. 80% of NONLEGAL jobs are found through networking, in the legal field it is probably slightly less than that due mostly to OCI, but networking was still the overwhelming #1 in the NLJ questionnaire on how 2008 grads found their jobs.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 pm

swheat wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.


These ads are a total joke. Almost no lawyer finds his or her job through Craigslist. Serious law firms post their listings on each school's careers database.

Job postings in general are overrated. Networking is the key for Non-OCI. 80% of NONLEGAL jobs are found through networking, in the legal field it is probably slightly less than that due mostly to OCI, but networking was still the overwhelming #1 in the NLJ questionnaire on how 2008 grads found their jobs.



If I would have relied on my school for a job (including..hahaha OCI), I would be working at McDonalds right about now.

User avatar
john titor
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby john titor » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:30 pm

swheat wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.


These ads are a total joke. Almost no lawyer finds his or her job through Craigslist. Serious law firms post their listings on each school's careers database.

Job postings in general are overrated. Networking is the key for Non-OCI. 80% of NONLEGAL jobs are found through networking, in the legal field it is probably slightly less than that due mostly to OCI, but networking was still the overwhelming #1 in the NLJ questionnaire on how 2008 grads found their jobs.


that's not really true. I work in a small firm and do most of my business with other lawyers in small firms, and many do rely on sites like craigslist or local job boards to find people. When you have 7 lawyers in your practice, why would you recruit directly from a law school? We get resumes sent here everyday, but in the few situations where we needed to fill a vacancy, we ran an ad in the paper. craigslist is just the modern version of that.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
swheat wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.


These ads are a total joke. Almost no lawyer finds his or her job through Craigslist. Serious law firms post their listings on each school's careers database.

Job postings in general are overrated. Networking is the key for Non-OCI. 80% of NONLEGAL jobs are found through networking, in the legal field it is probably slightly less than that due mostly to OCI, but networking was still the overwhelming #1 in the NLJ questionnaire on how 2008 grads found their jobs.



If I would have relied on my school for a job (including..hahaha OCI), I would be working at McDonalds right about now.


Your post doesn't conflict with what I wrote. Networking is always the number 1 method of finding a job outside of OCI. I was merely saying that a legit firm, IF it decided to post a job listing, would probably find a more respectable place to do it than Craigslist.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:08 pm

john titor wrote:
that's not really true. I work in a small firm and do most of my business with other lawyers in small firms, and many do rely on sites like craigslist or local job boards to find people. When you have 7 lawyers in your practice, why would you recruit directly from a law school? We get resumes sent here everyday, but in the few situations where we needed to fill a vacancy, we ran an ad in the paper. craigslist is just the modern version of that.


Many small firms post job openings on my school's career site. It's not about recruiting directly from ONE law school...I am sure the same listings are present on all of the local ABA schools' career sites.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm

swheat wrote:
john titor wrote:
that's not really true. I work in a small firm and do most of my business with other lawyers in small firms, and many do rely on sites like craigslist or local job boards to find people. When you have 7 lawyers in your practice, why would you recruit directly from a law school? We get resumes sent here everyday, but in the few situations where we needed to fill a vacancy, we ran an ad in the paper. craigslist is just the modern version of that.


Many small firms post job openings on my school's career site. It's not about recruiting directly from ONE law school...I am sure the same listings are present on all of the local ABA schools' career sites.


And on the local bar association listserve, all that being said I know a ton of lawyers and judges, and puting out an add of any type is the last resort if you can't get someone you know to recoend someome to you (i.e. networking) the crap you have to sift trhough when you put and add out hoping you pikc the right one on paper is a much bigger pain in the ass then asking other lawyers you trust "know any good law students/graduates you recoemdn becuase we have an opening." Only if that dose not work would the people I know put an add out. Espically ITE. You'd get like 500 resumes.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Matthies wrote:
And on the local bar association listserve, all that being said I know a ton of lawyers and judges, and puting out an add of any type is the last resort if you can't get someone you know to recoend someome to you (i.e. networking) the crap you have to sift trhough when you put and add out hoping you pikc the right one on paper is a much bigger pain in the ass then asking other lawyers you trust "know any good law students/graduates you recoemdn becuase we have an opening." Only if that dose not work would the people I know put an add out. Espically ITE. You'd get like 500 resumes.


Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. If you only have 7 lawyers at your firm do you really want to sift through 1,000+ resumes? That seems like a bigger time-sink than just asking around like Matthies is talking about. My guess is the reason these Craigslist ads even exist is because they are looking for someone who is completely desperate and is willing to work for $25-30k.

Are those kinds of people out there? I am sure they are. But that doesn't mean that these Craigslist ads are the typical job search method for the typical lawyer.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 pm

swheat wrote:
Matthies wrote:
And on the local bar association listserve, all that being said I know a ton of lawyers and judges, and puting out an add of any type is the last resort if you can't get someone you know to recoend someome to you (i.e. networking) the crap you have to sift trhough when you put and add out hoping you pikc the right one on paper is a much bigger pain in the ass then asking other lawyers you trust "know any good law students/graduates you recoemdn becuase we have an opening." Only if that dose not work would the people I know put an add out. Espically ITE. You'd get like 500 resumes.


Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. If you only have 7 lawyers at your firm do you really want to sift through 1,000+ resumes? That seems like a bigger time-sink than just asking around like Matthies is talking about. My guess is the reason these Craigslist ads even exist is because they are looking for someone who is completely desperate and is willing to work for $25-30k.

Are those kinds of people out there? I am sure they are. But that doesn't mean that these Craigslist ads are the typical job search method for the typical lawyer.


Well on the flip side there are aslo crappy frims that verey knows about, I mean the leagal bar in most towns is not that big, you treat your employees like crap, are a shitty boss or whatever, word will get round and no lawyers will refer people to you. So you have to put out an add and hope to catch new grades who have yet to hear your firm sucks.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Gunz353 wrote:I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

But it's impossible to break into BIGWAITSTAFF. Not joking.


LOL OMG

BEST.
POST.
EVER.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:19 am

Columbia Law wrote:Not trying to imply anything. Just thought it would be interesting to share how bad it is for people out there.

--LinkRemoved--

JUNIOR ATTORNEY (LOWER MANHATTAN)
Date: 2009-12-03, 10:01AM EST
Reply to: job-6c3g8-1492890415@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

PART TIME WORK RESEARCH, WRITING, COURT APPEARANCES FOR SMALL GENERAL PRACTICE LAW FIRM .PLEASE BE MATURE, COHERENT WELL FOCUSED, SELF STARTING, HARD-WORKING, WILLING TO LEARN FROM TEMPLATE.

* Location: LOWER MANHATTAN
* Compensation: $13-$16 PER hour
* This is a part-time job.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.


Ads like this haven't been to uncommon for NY lately. There's a shitload of them posted on JDU. This one actually isn't as bad as some of them, e.g. one firm was looking for a fresh law school grad to work for free for 6 months and if the firm decides that the person proved themselves then they get $25K /year salary, and they emphasized it wasn't a 9-5 type jobs and that the person would be working 3 of 4 Saturdays a week an a minimum. There are numerous others, I just can't remember any off the top of my head.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.