Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Columbia Law

Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Columbia Law » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Not trying to imply anything. Just thought it would be interesting to share how bad it is for people out there.

--LinkRemoved--

JUNIOR ATTORNEY (LOWER MANHATTAN)
Date: 2009-12-03, 10:01AM EST
Reply to: job-6c3g8-1492890415@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

PART TIME WORK RESEARCH, WRITING, COURT APPEARANCES FOR SMALL GENERAL PRACTICE LAW FIRM .PLEASE BE MATURE, COHERENT WELL FOCUSED, SELF STARTING, HARD-WORKING, WILLING TO LEARN FROM TEMPLATE.

* Compensation: $13-$16 PER hour
* This is a part-time job.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Gunz353

Re: Ouch, ROUGH Craigslist ad

Postby Gunz353 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I hear Wachtell dropped its first year associate bonuses down to only $115k. Things are bad.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Gunz353 wrote:I average at least $20 working as a waiter...that's pretty sad.

But it's impossible to break into BIGWAITSTAFF. Not joking.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

It really is kind of tough to get a decent waitstaff job if you don't have prior experience. Same (but even moreso) for bartending.

Disclaimer: this generally doesn't apply, particularly in college town bars, to attractive women who seem like they can hold their liquor.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

rofl good job Kohinoor

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I make $6/hour more as a front desk clerk at a hotel. And I don't have to do any work.

My gf makes $25/hour in housekeeping at the same hotel, but housekeeping sucks. Probably more than this job.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:06 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Disclaimer: this generally doesn't apply, particularly in college town bars, to attractive women who seem like they can hold their liquor.

This is extremely true. Its how I paid for senior year.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

You thought that the hours in Biglaw were grueling...

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 pm

crazycanuck wrote:I make $6/hour more as a front desk clerk at a hotel. And I don't have to do any work.

My gf makes $25/hour in housekeeping at the same hotel, but housekeeping sucks. Probably more than this job.

Solution: sue your employer for violating federal minimum wage laws.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:07 pm

GOD DAMN IT

*heads to TTT rooftop*

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:08 pm

:wink:
Last edited by jmhendri on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.

melaniec

Postby melaniec » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:11 pm

CE2JD wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:I make $6/hour more as a front desk clerk at a hotel. And I don't have to do any work.

Solution: sue your employer for violating federal minimum wage laws.

he said $6/hr MORE. not just 6/hr

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.

True.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Not surprised at all with this. You'll find ads like this in a booming economy as well. Especially in NYC and DC where there is a saturated legal market.

These ads are a total joke. Almost no lawyer finds his or her job through Craigslist. Serious law firms post their listings on each school's careers database.

Job postings in general are overrated. Networking is the key for Non-OCI. 80% of NONLEGAL jobs are found through networking, in the legal field it is probably slightly less than that due mostly to OCI, but networking was still the overwhelming #1 in the NLJ questionnaire on how 2008 grads found their jobs.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 pm

swheat wrote:

These ads are a total joke. Almost no lawyer finds his or her job through Craigslist. Serious law firms post their listings on each school's careers database.

Job postings in general are overrated. Networking is the key for Non-OCI. 80% of NONLEGAL jobs are found through networking, in the legal field it is probably slightly less than that due mostly to OCI, but networking was still the overwhelming #1 in the NLJ questionnaire on how 2008 grads found their jobs.

If I would have relied on my school for a job (including..hahaha OCI), I would be working at McDonalds right about now.

john titor

Postby john titor » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:30 pm

swheat wrote:

that's not really true. I work in a small firm and do most of my business with other lawyers in small firms, and many do rely on sites like craigslist or local job boards to find people. When you have 7 lawyers in your practice, why would you recruit directly from a law school? We get resumes sent here everyday, but in the few situations where we needed to fill a vacancy, we ran an ad in the paper. craigslist is just the modern version of that.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
swheat wrote:

If I would have relied on my school for a job (including..hahaha OCI), I would be working at McDonalds right about now.

Your post doesn't conflict with what I wrote. Networking is always the number 1 method of finding a job outside of OCI. I was merely saying that a legit firm, IF it decided to post a job listing, would probably find a more respectable place to do it than Craigslist.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:08 pm

john titor wrote:
that's not really true. I work in a small firm and do most of my business with other lawyers in small firms, and many do rely on sites like craigslist or local job boards to find people. When you have 7 lawyers in your practice, why would you recruit directly from a law school? We get resumes sent here everyday, but in the few situations where we needed to fill a vacancy, we ran an ad in the paper. craigslist is just the modern version of that.

Many small firms post job openings on my school's career site. It's not about recruiting directly from ONE law school...I am sure the same listings are present on all of the local ABA schools' career sites.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm

swheat wrote:
john titor wrote:

Many small firms post job openings on my school's career site. It's not about recruiting directly from ONE law school...I am sure the same listings are present on all of the local ABA schools' career sites.

And on the local bar association listserve, all that being said I know a ton of lawyers and judges, and puting out an add of any type is the last resort if you can't get someone you know to recoend someome to you (i.e. networking) the crap you have to sift trhough when you put and add out hoping you pikc the right one on paper is a much bigger pain in the ass then asking other lawyers you trust "know any good law students/graduates you recoemdn becuase we have an opening." Only if that dose not work would the people I know put an add out. Espically ITE. You'd get like 500 resumes.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:34 pm

Matthies wrote:
And on the local bar association listserve, all that being said I know a ton of lawyers and judges, and puting out an add of any type is the last resort if you can't get someone you know to recoend someome to you (i.e. networking) the crap you have to sift trhough when you put and add out hoping you pikc the right one on paper is a much bigger pain in the ass then asking other lawyers you trust "know any good law students/graduates you recoemdn becuase we have an opening." Only if that dose not work would the people I know put an add out. Espically ITE. You'd get like 500 resumes.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. If you only have 7 lawyers at your firm do you really want to sift through 1,000+ resumes? That seems like a bigger time-sink than just asking around like Matthies is talking about. My guess is the reason these Craigslist ads even exist is because they are looking for someone who is completely desperate and is willing to work for $25-30k.

Are those kinds of people out there? I am sure they are. But that doesn't mean that these Craigslist ads are the typical job search method for the typical lawyer.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 pm

swheat wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. If you only have 7 lawyers at your firm do you really want to sift through 1,000+ resumes? That seems like a bigger time-sink than just asking around like Matthies is talking about. My guess is the reason these Craigslist ads even exist is because they are looking for someone who is completely desperate and is willing to work for $25-30k.

Are those kinds of people out there? I am sure they are. But that doesn't mean that these Craigslist ads are the typical job search method for the typical lawyer.

Well on the flip side there are aslo crappy frims that verey knows about, I mean the leagal bar in most towns is not that big, you treat your employees like crap, are a shitty boss or whatever, word will get round and no lawyers will refer people to you. So you have to put out an add and hope to catch new grades who have yet to hear your firm sucks.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:39 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

LOL OMG

BEST.
POST.
EVER.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:19 am

Columbia Law wrote:Not trying to imply anything. Just thought it would be interesting to share how bad it is for people out there.

--LinkRemoved--

JUNIOR ATTORNEY (LOWER MANHATTAN)
Date: 2009-12-03, 10:01AM EST
Reply to: job-6c3g8-1492890415@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

PART TIME WORK RESEARCH, WRITING, COURT APPEARANCES FOR SMALL GENERAL PRACTICE LAW FIRM .PLEASE BE MATURE, COHERENT WELL FOCUSED, SELF STARTING, HARD-WORKING, WILLING TO LEARN FROM TEMPLATE.

* Compensation: $13-$16 PER hour
* This is a part-time job.
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Ads like this haven't been to uncommon for NY lately. There's a shitload of them posted on JDU. This one actually isn't as bad as some of them, e.g. one firm was looking for a fresh law school grad to work for free for 6 months and if the firm decides that the person proved themselves then they get $25K /year salary, and they emphasized it wasn't a 9-5 type jobs and that the person would be working 3 of 4 Saturdays a week an a minimum. There are numerous others, I just can't remember any off the top of my head.

Return to “Legal Employment”